Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Don Gato posted:

One of the books mention that all the purebloods in England are related to each other so yeah they're basically the Hapsburgs.

Harry Potter and the Hapsburg Prince

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/difluorine/status/1239631049379827714

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
COVID is stored in the balls

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Elviscat posted:

Wasn't there a no poo poo Federal commission convened at some point to standardize two letter abbreviations for States?

There was one for moving everyone to metric, too.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

In Finland people are not pronounced dead until their grandchildren make traditional amulets from their bones. Naturally, there are activists pushing to allow social workers to make those amulets to streamline the process, but it's not likely to happen with a conservative president in power.

*record scratch* What?!

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/nfyahaya/status/1247144101620793344

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CCHP_UA/status/1254045745218564096

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

SerialKilldeer posted:

I'm intrigued by how avocados demote you one brow level.

Also how "criticism of criticism" is the highest-brow literature. If you read criticism of criticism of criticism (and so on) does your brow ascend into the stratosphere.

The superior brainfreeze.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

jjack229 posted:

Is this what happens when someone draws a spectrum as a Venn diagram? Or is it something else?

It's when you're told you need a graphic to drive clicks and you just take the least amount of effort. Taken from this article.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

:monocle:

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

zedprime posted:

It's a perfect storm of russling this threads jimmies because it's actually trying to say the alert level = f(R,n) in a way a nation that dropped out of school at 16 to work trades can understand.

Nobody has ever multiplied a number before, you must use addition which makes no loving sense in this context.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Phlegmish posted:

80% of the time I have no idea what you guys are talking about but I just take my cue from other goons and add a 'lol' or 'lmao what a bad graph', hoping that no one will notice that I don't understand statistics

Have you considered a career in consulting?

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/ScottGottliebMD/status/1260946980710350855

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

And then you walk awhile more and get to colorado

That's gerrymandering and first past the post for ya.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

So right now is the best time for a world war?

World War Covid

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

I've got two problems with this. First, it's uniform in latitude/longitude which means that the upper states are going to have smaller area than the lower states.
The second is that you have to commit and do the earthworks to make the ground fit the grid.

Over all, C-, see me after class.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Platystemon posted:

:wrong:

Look at the forty‐ninth parallel with Canada and what’s going on in Washington.

This is just a grid lazily placed over an arbitrary projection.

I stand corrected.

Okay, okay, B-.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angepain posted:

I like her clothes being somewhat loose and flowing except for directly over a single boob that is perfectly visible somehow

Hey, that's a load-bearing boob!

Nenonen posted:

The week begins on Monday and ends on Sunday :mad:

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Not in the US, their calendars are all SMTWTFS when they have days of the week in columns, instead of the MTWTFSS you see elsewhere. I was told it’s because that’s the biblical week, but I have no idea if it’s true.

Beartaco posted:

Surely it's the other way around with Sunday being the 7th day, the day of rest etc?

The Sabbath, Saturday, was the day of rest before Christians decided to move it a day later.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Several people here outing themselves as those flaky friends you are forced to plan around and then backup plan around because you never know when or if they'll actually show up.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Clear
________A
Graphic
________Bourgeois
Design
________Degeneracy
V. I. Lenin

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/EnemyStepOnMe/status/1263629628738023424

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
You miss 10% of the pie charts you don't take.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

gleebster posted:

I just want to know if I need to take a jacket.

Just take a jacket and an anti-jacket to be safe.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

taqueso posted:

It deserves a failing grade just for the text that is different sizes depending on how many characters are on the line

It's graded on a curve. Incidentally, that curve would belong in this thread.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antigravitas posted:

Adjective order is one of the worst things, speaking as a non-native English speaker.

The next worst spot is shared by all the weird idioms, idiotic pronunciation, and the fact that on the Internet UK and US English are mixed so much it's practically impossible to not learn a wild mish-mash of vocabulary and spelling.

Hey, at least it's always before the noun, unlike in French where it's mostly after, sometimes before, and it MATTERS.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

that's because Bad Wolf is the name of the character

Bad Wolf was originally Baadwulf

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Antigravitas posted:

I have suppressed most of my French, but one thing that still infuriates me is that both German and French are gendered languages that often assign different genders to the same thing. Der Mond (m) - La Lune (f).

:argh:

חה חה חה, I laugh at you in Hebrew, another gendered language which is also inconsistent with both of those.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Tashilicious posted:

OH BOY AND DON'T EVEN GET STARTED ON IF YOU'RE FROM FRANCE IN QUEBEC, OR QUEBEC IN FRANCE, BECAUSE THE TWO OFFICE DE LA LANGUE FRANCAISE ARE AS LANGUAGE FASCIST AS EACH OTHER BUT IN DIFFERENT DIRECTIONS

I love having to learn entirely new grammar rules for speaking the same language.

Eventually they will have to acknowledge that they are not the same language.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
It's just showing the subway systems of the world connected in a subway-looking map. You're really reading too much into it.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

https://twitter.com/alon_levy/status/1273975403326181376

If you're interested in public transit, Alon is a must-follow.

They're okay on things they know about but they are also one of those really smart people who think they are also absolutely correct about anything they've formed an opinion on.

E: for pronouns

Absurd Alhazred has a new favorite as of 22:09 on Jun 19, 2020

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Paladinus posted:

I don't mean to dunk on you for that, but it's funny to me that despite their having pronouns right in the twitter name, and your clearly following them on twitter, you still managed to use the wrong pronouns.

Woah, that's embarrassing! I used to follow them but unfollowed quite a while ago so I guess my brain kind of filtered out the contents of the current name.

My brain's also in a "Hebrew name parsing mode" when I encounter a Hebrew name, and there's not really a good way for gender neutral in that language, which probably didn't help. I'll try to pay closer attention next time.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Angepain posted:

i like the Glasgow Subway, which is the second oldest Subway in the world and has made great use of its 120-year history to expand from its initial fifteen stops in a circle to... the same fifteen stops in a circle

Every now and then someone tries to get an extension planned but it never seems to work out. it did manage to upgrade to powered vehicles in 1935 from the previous system of a big moving cable that the cars clamped on to, but that's about it

SF still has a small region that's served by the cable cars, it's pretty cool.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

News from the thermonuclear future.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Please, I'm begging you, screencap these idiots because they might wisen up and delete this.

Also, if you were guessing Koch money had something to do with this genius, you were right:

quote:

About
UCI’s Program on Corporate Welfare is directed by Amihai Glazer, a political economist, and focuses on research on governmental policies that affect business taxes, regulations and practices.

Launched in 2017, the program is supported by gifts from the Troesh Family Foundation and the Charles Koch Foundation. The program supports high school students, undergraduate, Ph.D. students, post-doctoral fellows, and faculty research into corporate welfare.

Each summer, the program offers high school students and undergraduates from UCI and other campuses the opportunity to conduct summer research on corporate welfare and enhance their skills in statistics.

Results of the program’s research are disseminated to the public with opinion pieces, interviews, working papers, conference presentations, seminars at other universities, and academic publications.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Don Gato posted:

Man, I should have become an econ professor, sounds like a good gig.

If you can pretend to believe what the Koch people want you to believe, and have a PhD in econ, you're set for life.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

ultrafilter posted:

People who do econ-adjacent stuff are much more into the behavioral side of things. That's particularly true in the business schools, where you really can't ignore deviations from perfect rationality. I think econ is very early in the process of splitting into two fields, one which is more theoretical and one which is more applied, but it's hard to say exactly how that'll play out.

Most of the money is going to go to those who push the low regulation and low social spending line until Koch is nationalized.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Scientific Diagrams That Look Like Shitposts.gif

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Nice. You ever run a party through it? How far did the players get?

They do say that labyrinths are making a comeback:
https://twitter.com/mslaurabliss/status/1288625774224740352

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

you'd be wrong, especially in this context, if my german cousins and friends are anything to go by. also i'm all the americans expressing dollar amounts as 42069 billion $

Clearly we're living in the Cyberpunk 2020 future and those are Eurodollars.