Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

Jaguars! posted:

Why would you reverse the X-axis? :psyduck: what am I not getting about this?

The x axis represents number of years they've been in the country with this arrangement, they just decided to obfuscate that for some reason. What happened 14-15 years ago in New Zealand/Australian relations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Now you know how I don't like to use the sit-down gun, but this morning we just don't have time for mucking about.

They really did treat 500 square feet as 500 feet, squared. Jaysus.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Tag yourself, I'm so a Ted.

My favorite part is the political line entry of the new romantics.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

The real problem with imperial is the multitude of units for a given dimension; the reason Fahrenheit is fine is the degree is the only unit, there isn't a weird system of 60 minutes is a degree, 16 degrees is a heat, 9 heats is a hot or whatever. And Celsius isn't the science unit of temperature, it just has the same magnitude as the real deal, the Kelvin.

Like, there's a good reason to change from feet/miles to meters/kilometers even if you were the only country to do it, but the by far best reason to go to Celsius is just that everyone else already did, it's not an inherently more consistent system.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Tenebrais posted:

Honestly, this is pretty much what data visualisation is for. In any serious analysis, a simple grid of numbers is going to be much more useful than a graph, since if you want to think about what a graph is saying for more than a couple of seconds you're going to be looking at the numbers already and a straightforward grid will save your eyes dancing across the page to find them on their relevant bar or segment or whatever. Plenty of times you'll see both together, though this is more likely in a report (where you can choose for yourself what you want a quick skim vs deeper analysis) rather than a presentation.

What graphs are good for is to give a quick "good or bad" to an audience without much patience for analysis, while giving them assurance that the analysis exists somewhere because you can see the vague shape of the numbers on this graph.

Historically, engineering really believed in charts for usability. There's a reason that, until modern computers were a thing, psychrometric charts for instance were charts instead of tables.

Admittedly, that's like the opposite case of a pie chart, but.

Unreal_One has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Mar 5, 2020

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Alkydere posted:

Yeah I noticed that and was going to point it out too. I was just wondering how loving huge of a complex the China/India Wizard School had to be.

If she deserved the benefit of the doubt, you could maybe say that these aren't the only only magic schools, but are instead the only ones in the same system as Hogwarts? I mean, she definitely didn't think about it for longer than it takes to Google translate magical school, but.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

jjack229 posted:

What does "Planned parenthood" mean in this context. The second word isn't capitalized, so I don't think it's the organization and I don't see how having children is a substantially different cause then P.T.A.

Family planning, i.e. not just making babies willy-nilly.

Count Roland posted:

I'm surprised to see Go on there. I'd have thought the game would have come via Japan, and that anything Japanese wouldn't be very popular in '49.

I also a bourbon gingerale sounds pretty good right now.

Foreign is always higher brow, and the occupation of Japan would have been many USers first run in with Go.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

*edit* wait for a 360 day year we'd want the orbit to be shorter, so we'd need to be a bit closer to the sun.

Which is why you have to slow down the Earth, so you can go to a lower energy orbit, which is faster than a higher energy orbit! :jeb:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Is the progressive dot supposed to be Denver? They can't possibly be saying Salt Lake City, right?

Though my favorite is using border indicators for fill colors, just edging out using the wrong color for hurricanes.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

If you double the sample rate, you double the quality. But if we double the doubled sample rate, quadruple quality! :eng99:

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

I wonder what it would look like if it was phrased "1 in how many people are _____" instead. I bet even "For every 100 people, how many are _____ " would get significantly different results.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Captain Hygiene posted:

I listened to a lecture series on ancient Egypt a bit ago and was entertained to find out how many Cleopatras there were. Cleopatras were just all over the place back then, up to and including including the famous Cleopatra's sister, Cleopatra.

This is disputed! Some think that Cleopatra's sister Cleopatra was actually her mother Cleopatra, who may or may not be the Cleopatra married to her predecessor.

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Glad I invested in MS Excel.

You fool! You're going to lose your sheet!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Platystemon posted:

Width of the bars is ???

... due to the first one being a screenshot of a different chart which used ticks at every 40'000

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Even if they dropped the 9/11 attacks 2001 would still be a huge outlier

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

zedprime posted:

If you accept DISC assessments into your heart, when you die Wonder Woman will whip your rear end.

Wow, I've never seen someone so in favor of DISC!

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

CainFortea posted:

German is just loving weird.

The tens place is appended instead of prepended, so instead of twenty one (zwanzig ein) it's one and twenty (einundzwanzig). Then it just follows the ones place but adjusted by the tens place, except the zeros. This is very visible in the 50s through 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unreal_One
Aug 18, 2010

Tree Bucket posted:

A good post, but, how was this bit done? Glass-cutting sounds kind of impossible.

Usually, glass isn't so much cut as broken into the right shape. A score line is made at where you need the break, then you either just snap it or use pliers to carefully break the glass along this line.

Unreal_One has a new favorite as of 04:21 on Apr 2, 2024