Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The graph is misrepresenting the relative sizes, but not in favor of the point they're trying to make. Good job.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Tobermory posted:

I once had to work with some hideous CSV format that used single comma as a delimiter and double comma as an escaped single comma. "String 1, with comma" followed by "String 2" was saved as "String 1,, with comma,String 2". It was surreally terrible to use.

Oh my god. How did this handle empty fields? Seeing as those are usually left empty, resulting in...a double comma.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

BonHair posted:

In Denmark, we are fully metric, except for screens, which are measured in inches.

Same here in Sweden. TVs, computer monitors and phones are inches, rest metric.

Oh and tire pressure, where we use PSI or bar pretty much randomly

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah in Sweden we had a du-reform in the 60s/70s. Du is basically singular you. We also have a plural/royal you, ni, which was used before, in conjunction with third person singular pronouns (he/she. "Would she like a refill?" etc, and sir/ma'am. And then stuff like using du only for close relations/partners, not family, they were brother/mother etc. Men of equal standing called eachother by last name in private. Women used each others first name in private, and men's last names if the woman was older, yada yada, etc. now we just say du or first name and no one cares, except possibly for the king but I Du-d him once as a child and no one shot me.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Wait what motivates people to compete in the regular non-war Olympics??

The winners get to keep a piece of the land it was hosted on. That's why they always have to build new arenas instead of using pre-existing infrastructure.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
When I got mine it was only a couple of years old. Supposedly it can be used for math, but I made stupid games and then leveraged that into a career in computer touching (abandoning the particle physics-track that was the reason I got it in the first place. Oops.)

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Sagebrush posted:

Something like 6-10% of participants in any survey won't take it seriously, or will deliberately pick the answer they think will screw with the data. This is well known across the relevant industries. If someone shows you a survey and says "look at this, eight percent of people believe $completely_insane_thing!!" you can just ignore it. All it's telling you is that eight percent of people thought it would be a hilarious joke to answer that way.

Hence the <10% of people who say they couldn't defeat a rat, or would win against an elephant.

The graph ends at 80, so it's actually a solid 30% who aren't feeling great about fighting a rat.

I feel there are some specifics of this scenario missing. Is the animal behaving normally? I, and most other people, could probably defeat a rat then, if we could catch it before it scurried off and hid forever, which is a big if. Alternatively, are we locked in a deathmatch arena and the animal is aware of the stakes and acting accordingly? I don't feel too good about being locked in with a rat that is actively attacking me from the get go.

So in conclusion, ratfighting has more depth than is explicitly stated here.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Oh yeah and I completely ignored the moral aspect of it. Physically I can probably curbstomp a mouse to death. Am I willing to do so? No! Unless of course we are in the aforementioned "locked in deathmatch frenzied animal" situation.

So in conclusion, I probably would've answered no to everything in the survey, even the rat.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
I have always been aware that, obviously, some people must be buying new cars and therefore can pick colours, but everyone I have ever known have based their colour choice on "it is the colour the car had" because used cars don't come multiple choice.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

I have questions.

The math is correct, obviously, but the graphic is totally wrong. But more importantly, who the heck measures pizzas in inches?

Here we have "standard" and "big", and if any pizza place has a different size for standard, who cares?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

redleader posted:

oh, pants are a straw with a hole in it

Correct! Both logically and topologically. if you cut a small hole on one side in the middle of the straw and fold both ends away from the hole, the pantsness becomes apparent.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Breetai posted:

Okay, so say I make a small tear in the fabric of the pants. Are there now still only 2 holes because the pants acts as the intersection of two hole-bearing structures, or is it 3 because it follows the general formula of number of holes = number of tears - 1?

If the tear does not overlap with the existing holes it creates a new hole.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

OwlFancier posted:

Surely it should be no: 100% because i do not think any of the people who were on the titanic are still alive.

Them being dead now does not invalidate them having survived the Titanic

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Many valid points! The trauma of the Titanic, both physical and mental, will certainly have affected them for the rest of their possibly shortened lives.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

pik_d posted:

The handle definitely counts as a hole, and the fact that its a cup is another hole, so I'd say 2.

a cup and a plate are topologically the same. If it has a handle, one hole. Otherwise, zero. The cavity you put liquid in is not a hole.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

pik_d posted:

I said 2 because someone in this thread said it was zero. I'm not even sure how they got zero as an answer!

Zero is a very common amount of holes for cups and glasses!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

DontMockMySmock posted:

Under the everyday definition of "hole" (not the topological one), a mug has zero holes. This is easy to prove: go up to someone drinking coffee or tea out of a mug, and tell them: "there's a hole in your mug." They'll look at the mug in alarm and then say "what are you talking about?? no there isn't." QED.

Using the same "definition", people can't agree on how many holes a pair of pants have, making it a not very useful one.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The stacking is the only reasonable presentation. People with three cars also have one car, so they should be in the 1-car-column as well. This way makes it easy to read out "what percentage of households has at least x cars".

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

Splicer posted:

Could I get a little context here.

That's a penis.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Yeah you have to be careful with satan. She accidentally asked to "win the election" instead of "get elected president". Big loophole there, unfortunately.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
The student musical theatre around here is written in rhyme, and includes audience members shouting stuff like "Again, but angrier!" or "Alliterate on a different letter!" (for monologues written in alliteration, this happens fairly often), which the (amateur, student, possibly drunk) actors run with and usually pull off.

I guess if you expect it to happen and practice a bit, it's doable!

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Dear god. I've never seen an F150 in real life, or anything really like it, but using that comparison site I'm glad I don't have to share the road with cars like that.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
South Africa is so country they put it in twice

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Also, like, Gotland is strategically important and a probable first target in an invasion, but it's not a territorial dispute, there are no politics, it's a swedish island. Any precedent set by for example the UK ceding the Falklands would be completely irrelevant to the Gotland question, because there isn't one.

When the Russians violate our airspace (not hypothetical, they do this every now and then) it is usually near Gotland. Media coverage on this has not noticeably changed since the invasion, at least not in Sweden, they've been doing this for ages.

Perhaps it's gotten mentioned/noticed more often by our neighbours since the war though? I don't know.

Phosphine has a new favorite as of 17:08 on Sep 28, 2023

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
One important thing to consider here is that the hackers don't KNOW if you've used special characters and uppercase and whatnot. The information they might have is what the system allows/requires. They might stumble on aaaaaaaaaaaaa before jeH67&#✓*-#+jjsl, but something in between those is good enough usually.

My current workplace has a password policy that requires special characters, but forbids a trailing exclamation point. Very specific, not sure it actually increases security.

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊

But why the U?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Doesn't a fitted curve have to, like...fit? The data?

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
At least one of my Danish friends have admitted to counting in English in his head, even when speaking Danish, and sometimes even saying the number in English mid-danish-sentence because that contextswitch is less effort than the language he grew up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phosphine
May 30, 2011

WHY, JUDY?! WHY?!
🤰🐰🆚🥪🦊
Look i have nothing against tall people, i just don't think they should shove it in our faces. How will I explain it to my kids?