Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Let's look at it another way.

First, the US is enormous and very isolated compared to other countries - visiting another country is seen as a major once-in-a-lifetime event, and one that a huge number of adults either will never be able to afford or have no real interest I doing (a big chunk of the population doesn't even have a valid passport). There's no communication issue with using a different unit simple because those units are literally never encountered alone in the average person's life

Second, all the important industries already use metric. Sure there's some mishaps about unit conversions not happening more than a decade ago, but the huge majority of scientists and doctors and even a lot of commercial bakers are already using metric on their own

Third, US measurements are already good enough for what "casual" people do. Temperatures make sense to everyone, feet to miles don't matter because it's such a huge difference of scale (you either talk about one or the other, and large distances are usually measured in driving time or blocks/lights rather than miles anyway), and recipes are all spelled out in exactly what's needed - anyone that cares enough about a kitchen to change a recipe either doesn't follow it exactly in the first place, has a cheat sheet showing all kinds of conversions (and ingredient substitutions), or already works in grams anyway

What it amounts to is the same as suddenly trying to get the entire EU to switch from metric to, say, 11th century French measurement units. But only the casual people, since the scientists are already working in the correct units. Sure, the new scale is internally consistent and complete, but the casual people see no problem with the current units. On top of that, there's hundreds of millions (billions after labor?) of dollars that need to be spent recreating road signs, packaging, educational materials, and literally every single zoning/property law for literally hundreds of different governments which each have their own nuances (federal, all states/territories, all counties, and all incorporated towns all have their own laws, and most have their own constitutions that require big vote counts for any changes)

Basically, yes, the US is in the wrong as far as standards go, but anyone in a life or death situation already uses the proper in units, and anyone who isn't couldn't possibly give less of a gently caress about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Milk is consistent enough at the same temperature, but flour?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I'm no professional theologian, but shouldn't "praying in tongues"and "praying in own language" be swapped? I'd imagine one's own language is much more connected to the physicalthan the other

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

A companion study's average reported attractiveness, duh

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Give me a break, that chart's amateur hour

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's a technically accurate way to show the information, but it's needlessly condensed (by design). Off the top of my head, a better diagram for clarity in a stressful situation would be a horizontal yes/no tree flowchart

E: and i'm an impatient idiot for apparently not reading your whole post

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

A shining quote for the advertising thread to show the effectiveness of saturation

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Welp, now I need to head out somewhere to have that printed as a poster

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Yeah, we all remember the story about that North Korean kid who grew up to become a famous CEO due to her skills and dedication even though she had no luck whatsoever about where she was born, what her society thought about her gender, her complete lack of social networking with anyone else in the industry, her ability to even have enough to eat, her ability to avoid mental-ability-affecting diseases, disabilities, and injuries, and a whole slew of other stuff completely out of her control. Bootstraps!

If only there were some point between one extreme and another; oh well

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Well, people are getting fatter, so you need to adjust for inflation

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Hentai: Because videos of 6000 year old prepubescent demons would get us arrested if they starred real people

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Since I was curious, here's an extremely low resolution version of the chart (that easily omits the worst of BTC's offenses). I just grabbed each data point at the start of each quarter, and for JPY I converted it to 1/$value

Stability!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I don't know, it might actually be a copy of Visio that's screaming in pain

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

That's actually the bar on the farthest right, it's just drawn with an upside-down secondary axis that they forgot to label

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Funny thing is that those percentages seem perfectly sensible

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

dpbjinc posted:

Dear every politician ever: Stop letting your staffers use Venn diagrams. There is never a situation you can use them that isn't dumb as gently caress.

Nobody else is going to take this and run with it? Fine, here's a sloppy one

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Nah, they were just being edgy

vvv: :hf:

Sentient Data has a new favorite as of 16:33 on May 24, 2016

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If the raw data were released, it'd be a simple matter to flatten the songs to only count each unique word once. It'd be much easier to see any actual trends, but it'd probably be really boring with each year being topped with something like love, money, baby, girl or something like that, though I'd expect swears to pop up in the latter decades due to relaxed broadcast rules

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

True enough, but :effort: especially since the tedium was already taken care of

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Maybe the number represents an absolute figure and the bar is a percentage of that figure compared to some other unlisted total that's free to fluctuate (yeah right)

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Useless chart, brilliant advertising

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Man, the creators of that game are about as full of themselves as they could possibly be. Hell, their own websites look like what you'd create/write as a spoof making fun of the current trend of hipster marketers http://ilovechrisbaker.com/

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Honestly, questions like that are enough to make the graph lovely. "Should pot be legalized only for situations where it's deemed medically necessary?" both "no, pot should never be legal" and "no, pot should be completely legal even for recreational use" both tend to get lumped into the same general "no" category when reported. Ditto for things regarding health care "do you support the ACA as it's currently implemented?" "no, people should fend for themselves" and "no, we should have universal healthcare for everyone" both get lumped into being reported as "omg gently caress the poor"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

It's so long that you could put 5 empire state buildings next to each other in that space and still have room left over!

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

This used to be the chart thread, at least have an image

Pi*e chart:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

We're designating a bad graph and you offer a top-down view? You know as well as I that the pie needs to be in an excel 3d isometric view

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Fuel for a derail, of course

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

That question better be whites-only, I don't want to see you Expecting POC to Teach White People

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

16tbsp = 1 cup
1/3 cup = 5+1/3 tbsp
1/3 tbsp = 1 tsp

For the record imperial is dumb, and the chart doesn't even mention if it's using "real"american imperial or the metric-imperial where 1tbsp is exactly 15ml

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Speaking of stats and graphs, I'd love to see a chart of the new politics-in-pyf probate/ban d6 die rolls

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

No, they just want their dog's family tree to fit in this thread

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I like how generic each of those test parameters are. Even if the data is 100% perfect, that's like saying "Oh, she has an allergic reaction to contact with a creature from the Animalia kingdom"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

What the hell is that graph trying to say?

I think they were trying to go for "Of the people that voted for _____, the demographic breakdown was _____" but failed horribly.

I'm the implication that, say, a bisexual woman isn't a real woman

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Pick posted:

I kind of feel there's a bigger morphological difference between a 0 year old and a 6 year old than a 15 year old and a 16 year old, can we get more pedo flavors in this graph please?

(no)

Consult with bitcoiners, they have experience in the topic and log-based graphs

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

That's a perfect job interview in a single request. "What are your opinions on this? Feel free to be as elaborate as possible, since this is my only question"

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

I still like the idea of picking only a single vote at random, and that vote decides the entire election. Hell, you could even combine it with a ranked sort of voting system by giving everyone 10 votes and letting them distribute those votes however they want

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

If this thread has to bitch about elections, can they at least be about somewhere in Africa or something? I'm sick of every thread being about trump

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

How hawkish is Cruz? I'm surprised that I don't remember hearing the term Cruz Missile during the election

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Aggressively athiest but still relying on "the meek shall inherit the earth"