Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I love that nobody is willing to admit that it's luck.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

The fourth panel is a magic eye.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

cheerfullydrab posted:

Why does printer ink cost so drat much?

Because it can be.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It would be an OK chart if not for the stuff randomly outside the pyramid.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Is the Repatriation question some sort of white supremacist dog whistle? Like are they seriously asking if people think politicians would really say what they mean, if only we could pack the blacks back to Africa?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Gertrude Perkins posted:

Recorded by the Xetas, of course. Wake up, sheeple!

For some reason the thing that most upsets me in this is the double pluralization of "Knights Templars".

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Platystemon posted:

Wolfram|Alpha reminds me that one joule = one newton across a distance of one metre , so joules per metre = newtons

We should be measuring fuel economy in units of force.

1 litre∕100 km = 320.5 N

In the steady state, you could imagine this as the sum of all the retarding forces on the vehicle (air drag, rolling resistance, transmission losses, &c.), or, equivalently, the force the engine must produce to counteract them.

For you U.S. customary fans, 30 MPG = 565 pounds of force.

Now I want to know the specific impulse of my car, even though it's not a sensible measure at all.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Forgall posted:

Not awful as such, but at Virginia's huge swollen blue balls.

Lol at Buchanan County. Named after the worst of the presidents, steadfastly voting for the worst - of two - parties.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

These are all great, but this one is masterful.

e: Beaten, and almost verbatim too...

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I love this one. Reminds me of the time our corporate overlords produced a song and dance number set to Jay-Z's New York about their corporate values, and the main value was "Profit Driven". It had a lot of old middle aged white men dancing badly in suits, and a mascot of the corporate emblem. Steve Carell's Michael Scott would have been proud.

But at least it was honest I guess.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

From Matt Taibbi's recent article on Thomas Friedman's new book:

And Friedman's proposed solution:

These are wonderful. I mean even at a quick glance they make no sense, but then you add the Laffer style lack of quantification, and then the fact that the Y axis is actually rate of change. Given that we don't know the initial values of Human Adaptability and Technology, whatever the gently caress those would be, there could easily be no problem whatsoever.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

America after 8 years of Ronny Raygun: Progressive and Liberal.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

We'll you'll need at least three nuclear weapons for a triad, and that's the only way to be sure you can retaliate after Jeff's surely inevitable first strike.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I thought it was quantity too, but physical volume might actually make more sense.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Phanatic posted:

I just really like the idea of the electorate collectively saying "Nah, gently caress you guys, come back to us with someone better."

Yeah that'd be pretty fantastic.

lifg posted:

Arrows theorem applies to all types of elections, even the one we currently have.

Technically speaking it doesn't apply to cardinal voting systems (ie. scoring, rather than ranking). But even then there is a wider theorem that describes how basically it must be susceptible to voting strategies.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 22:56 on Jan 17, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Democratic systems operate on the assumption that people will care about politics more than once every four or fives years, and mandatory voting does nothing to fix that. In the US it's particularly egregious because of the mid-terms.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Well if you just accept a priori that markets absolutely cannot fail under any circumstances then

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Blue Footed Booby posted:

Because people buy homes (rather than rent) as an investment.

There's no denying that that's what people do, especially in the Anglosphere, but it's not a particularly good thing. Germany is perhaps the best counterexample, where the government actively intervenes in the housing market to stabilize prices, and renters have real rights. It's nice, you avoid most of the lovely financial and political fallout from the waves of housing bubbles.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Xenoborg posted:

So what happened on the 10th of August 1941 that took the Nazis from a 99% win to near certain loss? Wiki just has some diplomatic talks between FDR and Churchill. Did they agree they should fight back that day or something?

August is around the time that the German high command is arguing about whether to push on Moscow (the army's preference) or strike south to envelope the Soviet concentrations around Kiev (Hitler's preference).

There is a certain school of thought - more pervasive on the internet than in serious academia - that had the Moscow option been taken, the Germans definitely would have taken Moscow, and that definitely would have won the war. In fact, the former is extremely dubious, and the latter is very unclear.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

Thanks, I didn't know what gauges actually were.

That brings me to the question: Why are gauges a thing when you could just refer to a thing's thickness directly?

Same reason not everyone uses metric.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

That's more like it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Did Friday get taken off of YouTube or something?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

There's loads of sites that will font match for you, either by image or by asking you questions about how the letters are drawn.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Jurgan posted:

Most people consider him one. He was very racist, but so were a lot of progressives in that era. The term has changed meaning in recent years.

Wilson defeated a man1 running under the banner of the Progressive Party to win the presidency in 1912.

1Teddy Roosevelt

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Mr. Belpit posted:

I was glad I got to read that.

Jon Bois' work in general is really good, which I say as a guy who generally hates professional sports. I'm particularly fond of his video on that one college football game that went 222-0. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doZzrsDJo-4

Some excerpts:

quote:

Play 84. Coach Allen sends in a law student known only as Pee Wee, who is only here to impress his professors. Pee Wee does not know anything about the rules of football; he is ensured that he will not have to touch the ball or actually do anything. The centre direct snaps him the ball. ...in the ensuing scramble, he runs away. He is now the fourth Cumberland player to try to run out of Grant field. He hides behind a fence where two other players are hiding. They don't want him to give away their hiding spot, so they throw him back over the fence. There is no escape.

quote:

Game note: Georgia Tech never bothered to throw the ball, despite the fact that their coach invented the forward pass.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 01:18 on Nov 23, 2017

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It is, the centre is 110-112 pixels away from the edge, measured from top, bottom, right, and left.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

It's actually kind of crazy looking at the population of Europe at that low sampling interval; the two most violent conflicts in European history barely register.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 23:33 on May 3, 2018

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

mobby_6kl posted:

As seen in YOSPOS:

I want to see this alongside the rate for Alexandra.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HerStuddMuffin posted:

Really? I heard some of them were pretty final.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

HardDiskD posted:

I thought the article was a joke before reading it, but the guy is dead serious.

Yeah. Like if it was a joke it's a really well executed one, but it's not.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Beartaco posted:

I'm guessing the vertical line is 19xx where people are putting their birthdates or whatever?

Yeah. And the hot box on the lower left is where people are encoding their birthdays in MMDD. Interestingly enough DDMM encoding is far less popular.

PittTheElder has a new favorite as of 20:25 on Dec 16, 2019

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Watermelon Daiquiri posted:

You know what, I choose to believe it's people who have no idea beyond 'uhhhh britain or ireland maybe?? Germany??'

This is what it's traditionally been yeah, some vaguely British origin now forgotten.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

I mean there are a lot of Irish in the south. A lot of emigration pressure and the colonies were the natural option. They were also the original English plantation labour source before slavery got going there.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Furia posted:

Where does identifying as Mexican fall into this discussion?

e: for that matter, how many generations down does this matter for? Seems like a really America-specific perspective.

It's self-identified, there's no formal rules for number of generations or whatever. And yeah very Canada and US specific.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

From an annual report of a pretty major company (50k+ employees).

I'm sure this could be explained somehow. If anyone ITT can do that, I'd be grateful.

Yeah I see what they're going for. 2018 is the benchmark year, and then the bar chart sections are placed to be cumulative. Then if you add up all the components, you get to the 2019 sales number.

It's less clear to me what the 'reported' line is on the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

And there's a pretty big urban rural divide on top of that too usually.