Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
:madmax:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
I think the bolide one conveys the info it intends to relatively clearly though :confused:

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

ABORTION

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012
Most metric/SI countries will have a few weird exceptions. Canada still uses calories instead of kilojoules and Australia still uses imperial measurements for fast food, marijuana and the weight of newborn babies.

I find it kind of interesting that American English has its own spelling for metre/meter, and litre/liter given that America doesn't actually use the metric system.

e: before this starts a boring-rear end derail, calories are technically from an archaic form of the metric system

Vladimir Poutine has a new favorite as of 11:11 on Jan 4, 2016

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

princecoo posted:

Eh? Yeah we use pounds/ounces for babies and I can see drugs being weighed in imperial (although none of the drug dealers I knew did) but fast food? I can only think of the Quarter Pounder burger from McDonalds, and that's the name of the burger, not it's actual weight or an actual measurement. Liquids are are in mLs and food is by grams/kilograms or just "bucket" if you have a poo poo-tonne of KFC chicken.

I was mostly thinking of pizza size and sub length.

Anyway, here are some bad charts

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

AlphaKretin posted:

On the Quarter Pounder, the various patty sizes are called something like 3:1 and 4:1 etc., which could be ratios of a pound? :shrug:

This has to be fake. Come on. Please. :negative:

I just saw it on tumblr but yeah, a quick check suggests it's fake
http://bl.ocks.org/curran/60a1ba782ce09cf2091e

quote:

A small multiples visualization of polar area charts showing the breakdown of religions for all countries. This is a variation derived from example 30 from the screencast Splitting Charts.

This visualization is useless, in the sense that it is not very readable. It has many issues, such as occlusion, but it does show the data for all countries on earth. This example gives a starting point for exploring how this data can be visualized more effectively.

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vladimir Poutine
Aug 13, 2012

ekuNNN posted:

A bad graph because they managed to make a pizza look unappetizing

:agreed: It doesn't do that bad a job of representing data but it's loving ugly.