Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

“Fiduciary duty”? Why, I never!

Seriously, are executives getting kickbacks or what?

PLEASE BUY US, PAYPAL, WE'RE BEGGING YOU!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Yeah, those things are great.

We just got assigned these where I work, it's funny seeing the olds being unable to use them.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

So Assassin's Creed was a documentary?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

God help me but I easily comprehended this chart.

I've been forced to sit through too many briefings because I understood the graph and could also hear the Captain droning over it.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Goon Danton posted:

Still my favorite. You can watch their hopes die in real time!

I remember seeing a similar one about projected wage growth in Australia over the past 10 years, you could sense their desperation as time went on.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

AKA Pseudonym posted:

I think most states require you to pick a party (or just go independent) at the time you register regardless of whether you intend to vote in a primary or not.

It might be worth noting here that primaries are a relatively recent invention. Up until the 70s nominees were selected by convention delegates which gave party big shots a lot of control. After the 1968 Democratic convention turned into a giant shitshow states started instituting systems to popularly elect pledged delegates. As stupid as they can be they're actually a step forward.

the Presidents thread has a bunch of interesting stories of the stories behind how many presidents got elected. Before the primary system, sometimes they'd literally get chosen because there were two popular candidates and candidate number 3 didn't have any enemies.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Now that I think about it the issue is not just the copyright but the misrepresentation of old work as new.

I don't know how common it is for academic journals, but I have for sure read history books that had chapters copied from the author's earlier work, with minor edits. Gave me a feeling of mad deja vu.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

walrusman posted:

Uninteresting things: the color and generation of the cars in your sample.

More data = better. Always. Even if it's pointless data.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Is this saying that Mexico, Russia and Breitbart are connected? Because going by the Breitbart comment section I don't think they want to be associated with Mexicans.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ensign Expendable posted:

What's the width supposed to represent? Why is the UK larger than the USSR?

I'm going to guess the creator was from the UK.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I've read In the Mountains of Madness, there's nothing but Shoggoths down there.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Unrelated: Kind of weird they didn't colour in Alaska.

Alaska homeless are a species of superhumans from what I understand.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I like the Atlantic to laugh at David Frum.

Beyond that I do like a lot of their articles and series but they don't do a ton of really in depth articles. Their article that reprinted a bunch of MLK's letters was cool though.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
That's not even the worst slide I've seen in real life. Officers love their incomprehensible charts

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Angepain posted:

I can't wait for the new Nintendo series, Super Parlimentary Procedural Squabbling. Mash X to fillibuster Waluigi's dastardly tax cut proposals

E: okay yes on further consideration i would 100% play that please return my calls Miyamoto

Miyamoto has made games based on his hobbies before, Pikmin came about after he got into gardening, Nintendogs was made after he got a puppy and Wii Fit was made after he decided to be more active. Someone send him tons of recordings of various legislative branches meeting.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Wow that's loving my eyes hard

We could have the only flag in the world that doubles as a psychological weapon but no, some 19th century goobers had to ruin that.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Phlegmish posted:

It's not a very interesting and the state flags are even more boring, you should have gone the Liberia route.

e: google 'Liberia county flags'

Hot take: The Soviet Union won the flag war as soon as they had that flag consisting of a bear tearing an atom in half. The US lost the flag war once someone thought the old Pocatello flag was acceptable in any way, shape or form.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Carbon dioxide posted:

You mean the thing falling over from the blast of the Lander taking off?

That's why we went up there again and put up a new flag :colbert:

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kennel posted:

That's be possible, but it doesn't require expensive or difficult experiments, so it's relatively easy to take statistically significant number of people and test them.

There really seems to be notable variations between populations (even though some groups in this data are too small).

source. Harrison, G.A. et al. (1977): Human Biology (via Wikipedia)

Who the hell was testing over 200k Japanese people :psyduck:. Their sample size outnumbers every other population combined.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Nenonen posted:

Whale sharks are awful. :colbert:

This is the most wrong opinion I've ever seen on this forum.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Those three points are just Rolle’s Theorem. So he dazzled Reagan with cutting edge math from 1691?

He dazzled Ronald Reagan by telling him exactly what he wanted to hear. Really makes me wish I was alive then, I could be such a grifter by just scribbling things on napkins and saying that makes it a fact.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Crimpolioni posted:

People reuse their passwords / do minor variations so once you have one account you can gain other stuff like emails or w/e

Jokes on them, even I don't know my SA password.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Plastik posted:

But then they kept bringing it home and making it bland, like King Midas but for mediocrity. Truly the curse of the imperialist.

Thus fueling the urge to conquer more places, in the vain hopes that this time they would end up with something not bland or French

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Fascism also had Willpower as an actual physical force that could change the universe, thus why you'd always win against superior odds because you had THE WILL and they didn't. They weren't even subtle, there's a reason the infamous propaganda film is called Triumph of the Will. If the Ratte has all those problems, it doesn't matter because the pure Aryan WILLPOWER emanating from it's crew will make it invincible.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Jurgan posted:

Are you saying Nazis believed in The Secret?

Unironically, yes.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Byzantine posted:

What's a bayonet count as?

Gunblade, so true neutral.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

RoboRodent posted:

When you start with the premise that most wizards marry other wizards, which seems to be true, the immigration of muggle-born wizards into the magic community is not enough to keep all wizards from being inbred as hell.

One of the books mention that all the purebloods in England are related to each other so yeah they're basically the Hapsburgs.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Unperson_47 posted:

I wanna know the WORST way to store data in plaintext.

In traditional Chinese characters. Written into a word doc and no punctuation

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
What's that other line going near straight up? Brazil or India?

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I should have become an econ professor, sounds like a good gig.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Ignite Memories posted:

dont the moles in that series literally call them vittles

Iirc literally every character calls them vittles. I know it wasn't just the moles because as a child I hated reading mole-speak so I always skipped over every single mole character's dialogue.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

BonHair posted:

I think Chinese has the fun thing where the syntax of certain "dialects" don't match the written language, but they still write sentences the same way, meaning you say the words in a different order than they're written.

False, people write chinese how they speak it, which most of the time is fine because even if they're pronounced completely differently they're close enough grammatically that you can get the meaning in writing. The issue comes when there are specific characters only used in certain dialects or they use the same characters differently, meaning that the result looks like gibberish if you don't speak the right dialect. The communist government has tried to crack down on that with varying degrees of success. What you may be thinking of is Classical Chinese, which was the primary method of writing down Chinese until the 20th century, and was essentially unchanged from the Han Dynasty on, so imagine our written language for almost everything being classical Latin also there are historical and literary allusions within allusions, leading to a sentence 4 syllables long that references an even older idiom while playing on modern events. Like that darmok and jalad episode of star trek, but in written form. The end result was that by 1900, classical chinese looked absolutely nothing like how anyone spoke chinese but that didn't stop the late Qing use it for basically everything. There were legit fistfights in universities when professors tried to make vernacular Chinese writing a thing.

Source: I'm fluent in Mandarin and painfully learned a few other dialects.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
I hate the SAT because my mom kept signing me up for it because anything less than the max was unacceptable to her. All it really did was cut into what little free time I had.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer
The science checks out.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Platystemon posted:

We should bury the racism in a geologically stable area such as Nevada.

Yeah that's what you say now but all it takes is one attack after one person doesn't do their job right and then the entirety of North America is now contaminated by concentrated racisms for the next thousand years.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Doc Hawkins posted:

huh, which cell controls the gayness?

You think a mere cell could control that? Gayness is stored in its own excel file with over 7.2 million variables.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

dr_rat posted:

Gayness regular just fucks up for incredibly stupid reasons all the time?

I mean that puts it pretty much exactly in line with everything else involving people doing things I guess.

We're all supposed to be gay but someone hosed up the Gay Excel.