Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Pakled posted:

In a similar vein, this is what a literacy test black people had to pass to vote in the Jim Crow era South looked like. This particular one was 30 questions in total, this is just the first page.

The questions were deliberately vague so the examiner could fail anyone they wanted (all black people).

quote:

Circle the first, first letter of the alphabet in this line.

wtf

This is absolutely horrible. And one wrong answer means you fail!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is in fact a very good chart. Only mildly optimistic.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Yes this is better, but the first one wasn't terrible.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

We all know this, and yet the thread spends maybe a 3rd of its time discussing such maps. And this isn't a bad thing.

Completely unrelated:

Count Roland has a new favorite as of 08:25 on Mar 11, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

This is dumb and useless. Just look at the mass printed on the bag to see how much you're getting.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I kinda hate packaging, though that's not one of my beefs. I guess because I just look at the mass or volume, then complain bitterly when the company changes the packaging while discretely lowering the amount of product that comes with it.

Using a ton of excessive plastic-- now that's my problem. Packaging should be designed to be re-used or to compost naturally. This should be a legal requirement, enforceable at some point along the production/distribution chain. Not like that will happen though.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

DarkHorse posted:

It’s happened in Europe, Germany especially I believe, and called cradle to grave responsibility.

In the US though yeah it’s going to be an uphill battle.

Related to your comment, my toothpaste went from 7.4 oz. to 4.7 oz., and it took me a second to realize they were different sizes. I have no doubt this was a deliberate choice on the part of the manufacturers.

Yes, this is bullshit. My dad used to give me running updates on how his coffee tins were getting smaller by the year. I see it in stuff like bottled water too; there's a new bottle with a fancy shape, smaller without seeming so at first glance. And they call it green!

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Wow that "chart" is actually running inside a NYT story. What editor allowed that monstrosity.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

People Goons like to dump on XKCD, but no other web comic hits that same spot of rarefied nerd poo poo like it does.

I'm a big fan of XKCD but honestly it hasn't been consistently funny in many years.

e: I went to xkcd.com and hit random and got this:

e2: ok so I got sucked in:

Count Roland has a new favorite as of 19:34 on Aug 13, 2018

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Max password length is the bane of my existence. Let me have my 30 character password. Its words so I can actually loving remember it, but has enough variations that its still very strong.

Plus this stuff changes all the time. Like removing that underscore for example, or requiring a special character. gently caress.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Economist is doing a series of charts based on the odds they calculute of Ds or Rs winning seats in the midterm elections. They're interactive and updated every day. They give Ds a 71 chance of winning, that's up from 60-something a month ago.
https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2018/05/24/whos-ahead-in-the-mid-term-race

As an aside, I'm working on part 2 of a little hobby project that will produce some charts that I want to look nice. Mind if I ask the thread for advice? Its possible they're awful but probably not in a funny way.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Peter Watt's Blindsight solves this by positing that vampires developed long periods of hibernation (centuries or more) in order to allow the human population to regrow to an appropriate level.

Also the "crucifix glitch" is caused by extensive cross-wiring in their visual cortex, causing an epilepsy-style feedback loop when they're exposed to strong vertical and horizontal visual stimuli.

And it's not even really about vampires! Book owns, read Blindsight goons.

I hate this post so much

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The Cheshire Cat posted:

You have to bear in mind that they aren't looking at the same content you are. The people that "randomly" stumble across him are probably already into fairly right-wing circles, but still in the mainstream (they probably comment a lot on facebook and WSJ articles). Peterson is popular there because he's basically "entry-level fascism". The harder alt-right people introduce him into moderate circles because he's not explicitly fascist himself, so he's still palatable to center-right people, but his ideas just happen to line up a lot with more overt fascists, so once people get really into him the same people that introduced Peterson come along and say "hey if you like him, why not check out (much more explicit Nazi shill X)?"

I think that's overdoing it. His book, 12 Rules or something similar was very popular. It was displayed front and center at airports in South Africa when I was there. He's been on Rogan's podcast, and probably lots of other places as well. He was mentioned on a channel of jiu-jitsu instruction videos for some reason, I guess he has a philosophy on sport.

Anyway, not defending the guy, but basically anyone could come across him by mistake at this point.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Mamkute posted:

I'm the autism spectrum as an ideological position

I suspect we all are, in this thread.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Krankenstyle posted:

It'd be cool if someone would make a real one of those with every known polity & whatnot one day

Gaecron already has the data, or at least some decent stab at it. Convert it into a chart where the the width of the lines are proportional to the surface area of the country.

Of course the Mercator projection will need to be ditched to make that turn out right.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Boiled Water posted:

Cite them a bunch and they're bought.

Aren't the reviews anonymous?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Hippie Hedgehog posted:

I presume that the awful part of this is the choice of colors?

Well its missing that Canadian island that half of wikipedia is also missing so

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

No, a cluster of islands in the arctic ocean.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

System Metternich posted:

It's true that homeless sitting out in the open is definitely a thing here too (and it sure seems that their number is rising), but otoh things like in the video below are pretty much unheard of in Germany. My perception of the US is that this isn't necessarily something all that extraordinary - maybe in scale, but not in nature. But I admit that I might be off, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bhy3zI3wvAo

This video requires payment to watch

First time I've seen that message.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Works for me. Maybe using adblockers gets around whatever bullshit Youtube's up to today.

I use adblock+ and a script blocker but it still didn't show.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dave Grool posted:

I like the Atlantic but lol at it being the pinnacle of in depth complex journailsm

What are the best sources of really in depth journalism? I already read the Economist and like it but I really want more of the same quality or better.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Dave Grool posted:

I dunno about "best" but I like Pro Publica and sometimes Mother Jones. Mother Jones is pretty openly partisan and they send annoying, overly dramatic fundraising e-mails, so I don't read them as much but they have good investigative pieces. They paid a reporter to go be a private prison guard for a couple months.

Yeah that was the only thing I've read from Mother Jones, and it was fantastic. They were on my bookmark list for a while after that, but I took them off again for some reason. Maybe I'll try it again.

You know, what I'd really like is a sort of news-roundup program. I've seen various outlets do things like this, basically go over newspaper headlines in their region to get a birds-eye view. Newspaper x takes a hard line, paper y is more moderate, TV channel z is moderate except for a commentator who is off the rails, and so forth. But its usually a quick skim without going deeper than a few choice quotes.

I'd love a, podcast, or something, where people go over say American political media once a fortnight and spend 30 minutes highlighting the good the bad and the ugly. Or if there's some website that showcases the best journalism of that month.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The way I read it the x axis is IQ and the y axis is number of people who subscribe to that view.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

A bunch of tiny island nations switched their time zone so they'd be the first to ring in the millennium. And probably for other reasons too that I don't know about.

e: I might have made this up. This article seems to indicate the change came in 1995.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-13334229

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

The red Sunday's make me hear "SUNDAY, SUNDAY, SUNDAY!" in my head in a monster truck announcer voice so that's a good graph.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRH--GDz7tg

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Not only are the colours hard to distinguish, but they don't even preserve the same country-order.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

I find it very funny that this sort of pettiness can rise above a person and apply to a state. A state, or government, shouldn't care who gets admitted first because it has no bearing on anything. And yet people are petty, so their organizations are too, I guess.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

AFewBricksShy posted:

I still think the Mozambique flag wins the most badass flag award.

The flag of Angola is thematically similar but with a much better design imo:

Ok it doesn't have an AK but its still sweet.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Megillah Gorilla posted:

Wrong Indians.

What's the story here?

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

The best part is the AMMOLAND logo in the corner.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Phy posted:

Bet you this tracks nicely with the ol' hockey stick carbon-content-of-the-atmosphere graph

It would track with a lot of human related things, namely population.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Baronjutter posted:

YYYY-MM-DD should be standard on penalty of death. Otherwise files and things don't properly alpha-sort by date.

The correct opinion.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Do you mean Nazi officers? I cannot believe that millions of soldiers got tailored uniforms, especially as the war progressed and got worse.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Memento posted:

The way that the Doof Warrior matches the tempo of the chase is masterful. It's one of the best movies of all time.

I like the part where they're sitting around waiting and the Doof is just kinda strumming absently.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

foobardog posted:

I'm pretty sure that chart was from The Economist, so no, they thought they were dropping truth bombs.

It doesn't fit their style, the Economist will always have a little red rectangle in there.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Somfin posted:

I'm interested in what they define as "education" because a lot of hard-right tertiary institutions are pure indoctrination centers

Educated people are more certain about their beliefs, especially relating to technical-sounding stuff. That's all.

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

zedprime posted:

There isn't anything like pesky quantitative numbers stopping you from believing the scale is logarithmic.

Its clearly logarithmic. Look how close together cats and dogs are. For cats you need to put food and water into bowls every day or two. And provide a tray of dirt for them to poop in, which must be cleaned every day or few. Open the door for it if its an outside cat. And that's it.

Dogs need to be constantly taken out for walks, trained, prevented from mauling kids, etc. Many times the effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Roland
Oct 6, 2013

Tunicate posted:

tried to do an animated comparison but this is a really hard projection to convert by hand

Nice.

Now throw in one showing poverty.