Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
The shake weight of political ideology.

what if my chart could include meta-ideology oooh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Seems like someone should make an hourglass of sandwich ideology. Hyperplanes of sandwich semantics: a thesis

Now they have to elect me to the national academy of sciences

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 12:01 on May 2, 2017

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(sorry thought this was chat thread)

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 12:00 on May 2, 2017

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
(sorry thought this was chat thread)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
"Research scientists" (basically permanent post-docs) outside of a few fields and in my experience tend to either be really boring or really strange.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Phanatic posted:

If these trends continue....heeeeeyyyyyy.
we will have to approach retired badass goatse man to save our donuts.
we can only hope he is not too old for this poo poo.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thanks to that metaphor I now prefer platform as a service because my pizza feelings overpower my IT feelings.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That pie chart graphic is from a Wired article. I think TED takes itself too seriously to summarize its content like that. (not that they wouldn't make a bad graphic, but that they wouldn't describe their talks so reductively)

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Fruit Smoothies posted:

I want to understand this but what?!
Will you link where it's from? Google image search isn't finding it for some reason.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Thanks. The "at same age" affects things (since people are earning money later and later each generation, and for the recent -84% you're basically comparing very young families). Also it's for Great Britain which I didn't notice at first (though it has a GB at end of title). Still pretty shocking.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Little known fact but in 2001 simultaneous margarine consumption was considered a legally binding divorce.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
They should add another five asterisks, and then the note could be "1 asterisk = 1 banana"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
That trust fund guy's brain is broken in exactly the same way as Eripsa's is.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Chitin posted:

Because they're also unattractive, boring, and socially inept. Telling themselves how "smart" they are is all they have.
It's mostly this.

That said, intelligence is probably the best psychometric measure there is for adults in terms of predicting real-world outcomes, which is not great shakes but, still, many people who dis IQ talk a big game about stuff that is much weaker sauce.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Maybe they actually have zero subscribers and they wanted to make a technically-true graphic that looks amateurish instead of fraudulent.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This speculation is based only on the tiny "SCMP graphics" tag in the corner, but I think this might be less "dumb person doesn't know Chinese languages are very different" and more "Chinese partisan leaning into the importance/unity of 'Chinese' language and people"

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This isn't comically bad but it's a lot of bizarre unforced errors

-the numbers should be in /on the circles or in the text labels, not switching. Putting $100m for one of them just because it's an American thing is dumb.
-tagging the circles with lines-connected-to circles is confusing, just lines to touch the "real" circles would do it
-layout of the circles is dumb / inconsistent / makes them hard to compare
-could argue this is kind of a perceptually flawed approach (people aren't great with circle surface area etc.) but I'm not a purist on stuff like that
-in summary this is a bad way to portray what is basically 5 numbers

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Sounds kind of like the gender politics version of HillaryIs44.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Count Roland posted:

I quite like this one. Make it so that you can tell the colours apart and it becomes useful. Using the slope to indicate change is pretty cool.
Yeah it's asking a lot of the viewer (and the form is going to work only for a few types of things) but once I "got" this it was okay. Since you're asking so much anyway you might as well represent the raw AMOUNT of an activity with (say) the length or width of the line. Also it's kind of weird to represent peak time by circle location and then put a real rough notion of the distribution by how much of the line is on which side of the circle... rather just have something like density plots, though it would take up a lot more space.

The rest in that post, though, woof.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
This is just my ignorance probably but where is the decimal point in those "ratios". When I see 190.4 that doesn't mean "190.4 times more debt than income", does it?

edit: looked it up and based on better-labeled charts, they're percentages. So 1.9x as much debt as income.

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 14:32 on Aug 15, 2017

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I wonder how much safer the roads are with fewer 16 year olds on them.... I'm sure that the 22-year-old just learning to drive is a more of a risk than the 22-year-old who has been driving for years but in aggregate fewer kids driving must be a plus for almost everyone who isn't directly dependent on selling cars or whatever.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Wonder if Paul Feig is going to see that, throw some CGI in, and try to sell it as Ghostbusters 3

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
There is a conservative/libertarian story wherein Wilson was the first/main guy to overtly change the Founding Fathers' True American Vision by shifting things towards unelected bureacrats. Also income tax.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think in practice most white people just didn't have to take them.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, that or very small semi-transparent dots jittered within their boxes.

Red and the blue are unnecessary/distracting, too. It's not awful, though, it's just not very good. It shows the outliers at least.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah, for some reason I wanted the y axis inverted but I think that's a reasonable people can disagree thing.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I can nitpick that chart, and it's a nitpick -- the order of the rows isn't ideal. E.g., the first and fifth rows should be adjacent. Also could use a "is a good dog" row with all green checks.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I don't want to get into the boring weeds, but any data/stats person looking at that scatterplot and that line [which, yes, is supposed to be a best fit line because that's the argument it's trying to support] wouldn't accept it. Even if Norway were not an outlier for an extremely identifiable reason, which it was (oil), and even if the axes were the right way to test the notion, which they aren't (which gets into even more boring weeds).

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
just a list, if you want to be fancy then a timeline, would be fine.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Yeah I basically have a mental list of journalists I can't stand/trust and a list I can/do. Almost anywhere can publish a real trashy number by a total hack.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

learnincurve posted:

I warms my heart that there are people in this world who have not heard of Michael Gove.
Was only vaguely aware of him as a pro-Brexit guy and won't go past the picture, but an aside he looks like a white Dinesh D'Souza.

System Metternich posted:

(Also: Good Lord, how many news anchors does ABC need?)
162% of them

pangstrom has a new favorite as of 16:21 on Nov 7, 2018

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
It's not a benefit of the doubt situation and it's still LOL, but what Phlegmish posted is definitely what it is. It's a very common "conservative" argument about art, there are versions of it about music and writing etc.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think any flavor of anarchism or hardcore libertarianism would, in practice, quickly become either robocop corporatist hellworld or fascism hellworld or local warlords hellworld.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

MrUnderbridge posted:

The DoD loves slides like that.
Yeah I've only seen the weird ones that leak out, but those look like they came from people with very different training cargo-culting corporations.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think it's originally from this (OKCupid user data)
https://jezebel.com/mens-favorite-ages-are-20-21-22-and-23-a-data-dive-1731660984

edit: or at least more originally... there is a link in there to a dead page

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I think that's a rare defensible use of radar charts, though they implicitly suggest all the factors are of equal importance and the "data" aren't actually data of course. Like basically I would have more to say about the factors they chose than about the method of presentation but whatever.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Dixville posted:

Did they really have to put "the left" on the right hand side though??
Yeah okay that was dumb / I didn't catch that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
You would be a very strong candidate by their calculus, basically. Checking all the boxes!

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
Friend
Look what you gave
And how can you ever be repaid?
How may I give you a hand
From the position at your feet where I stand?
So let me thank you for putting me back in my snail shell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

MrUnderbridge posted:

So the guy in the middle will outlast Hitler, because he was in the middle of the whole good/evil spectrum?
I looked it up out of curiousity so nobody has to. That figure is a little inscrutable but the video context is that Prager believes in an afterlife because otherwise life is meaningless and bad people don't get ultimate punishment / good people don't get ultimate rewards and he would go insane. Also if you are a good person then the concept of no afterlife should make you insane, too! Quite the argument.