Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

I like how the USA had something like 1-2% of the world GDP in the year 1000, some 800 years before it started existing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

DarkHorse posted:

It's a duck sitting in front of the portrait, there are also leaves obscuring the first part of his name.

Non-anthropomorphic duck is still wtf tho
I think it's a non-duck bird.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Where's what? :confused:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Ignimbrite posted:

I don't know what bothers me more, that they've not differentiated in colour between mantle / outer core / inner core, that the list on the side is out of order, or that the subtitle goes from innermost to outermost instead of outermost to innermost like the attempt at the list
You missed the fact that if you look at the diagram there's actually five layers shown.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Bitcoins aren't worth anything unless there's suckers buying in.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SENSUAL DAD KISS posted:

Bitcoin is dumb as poo poo but what people who predict it's death always fail to account for the most important part of the equation, drugs. Anything that lets people get an eightball of coke for half street price is gonna be around for a while.
Yes, but then the drug dealer needs to turn the bitcoin into money they can use for other things, which, again, requires somebody to buy in.

Also I'm not sure how people decided a currency which keeps a log of every transaction ever made with the currency is good for illegal poo poo like buying drugs.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

You need to have air in chip bags so they don’t turn to powder in transit.

Also, I wear a sock in my boxers.
If your penis is turning into powder in transit without padding I think you have a medical problem.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Platystemon posted:

Q’s first password was “Matlock”. :wow:
Wow, did people just run a dictionary attack or something? Or hell, I wouldn't be surprised if somebody's already produced a rainbow table for 4chan tripcodes.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Subjunctive posted:

If so, was it other than by hitting the database? Are they still doing it and jamming up threads?
There are two issues. One is having posts deleted, which will permanently screw up a thread, with a severity depending on how many posts were deleted.

The other is that sometimes, somebody will make a post, but it won't show up until somebody makes another post in the thread, but will show up as an unread post in thread lists. (I think, I don't remember the exact symptoms.)

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I like that this chart implies that somehow slot machines are slightly less luck-based than roulette.
I believe a lot of modern slot machines have stuff you can manipulate beyond just "Pull lever, get result" these days, while roulette is still completely out of the player's hands unless they're cheating somehow.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Yeah I didn't say you could affect things a lot. But "at all" puts it ahead of roulette.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

...do I have to?

Imagine four taints on the edge of a cliff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Count Roland posted:

Do you mean Nazi officers? I cannot believe that millions of soldiers got tailored uniforms, especially as the war progressed and got worse.
Standards dropped as the war went on but at the start, yes.

Nazi uniforms were designed by a fashion designer to look good, and this came at the expense of them being pretty bad at being something for, you know, fighting and marching and doing general soldier stuff in.

Der Kyhe posted:

That is giving quite a lot of confidence to the German Intelligence at time not being completely incompetent, filled to a brim with political appointments and "true believers".

At the latter parts of the war they were definitely the least competent of the major player intelligence services, and for example had not one reliable informant on England who was not double- or triple agent.
One of their most trusted agents was some guy who was living in spain and checking out travel guides on england from the public library to get details to make his fake reports he completely made up seem more genuine. The dude had, IIRC, never even been to england, at least until he went to british intelligence and went "Hey I'm the head of a large and fictional spy ring can I work for you guys so we can REALLY gently caress with the germans?"

Phy posted:

I don't believe the puppetmaster excuse when it's people getting probed for trolling, why on earth would I believe it about Nazis building another cyclopean overengineered tank

E: Where's the milhist thread, I want to read about how Nazi uniforms were as overblown as the rest of their equipment
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3872282 over here, not sure where the most recent effortposts on nazi uniforms being terrible are

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

razorrozar posted:

i remember that dude, he prided himself on being the fastest surgeon around, but didnt give much of a poo poo whether the patient actually lived or not
Well this was back in the early days, when being fast did indeed reduce mortality rates. Longer you had the patient open, especially in amputations, the more poo poo could go wrong.

Sometimes it backfired, though, as DACK informed us.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

rourd?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just Offscreen posted:

You don't wanna see the original picture.
I'll take your word for it, i doubt the original is going to give any context on "rourd" anyway

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

ookiimarukochan posted:

Millenials reading papers at more than 2x the rate of boomers REALLY doesn't pass the sniff test, for the UK at least.
That's how many said they increased their consumption of Thing. Boomers were, presumably, already reading the paper very day and thus can't increase how much they read the paper.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phlegmish posted:

I have to be honest, my first reaction upon hearing of the corona virus was the same. Changed pretty quickly, though.
I recall that I first started to actually worry when Trump announced it wasn't a big deal.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

That only works if you assume people were tested completely at random :argh:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Unless they added some very recently since I moved away, I don't think San Jose has any subway

it does have surface light rail, though

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Dienes posted:

Its not nearly as simple as that - its a combination of probability and delay discounting. The kids who don't wait tend to engage in more risky behavior, more drug use, more crime, lower grades, have higher rates of divorce, higher BMI, lower savings, etc. even after you control for differences in incomes. Its a self-perpetuating cycle in which an impoverished environment teaches you to ask impulsively (because the second marshmallow may never come), but then that same impulsivity interferes with your chances of getting OUT of an impoverished environment.

There's been literally decades of research in this area (including the stuff I've published) - we don't depend on a single Mischel study anymore, especially when those flaws are addressed in replication studies.
Hell, if you're sufficiently poor, if you don't eat the metaphorical marshmallow now, there's a good chance you'll get ZERO marshmallows later.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

morallyobjected posted:

OTOH maybe we should be glad some of the fields aren't trying to interact with each other

https://twitter.com/yellingatwind/status/1301700119419432960
I would bet money that the university came up with he conclusion and hired people to make a model to support it.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Hobnob posted:

(b) The sheer number of their stores (do you really need 3 separate stores at one intersection, as is present in my city) , and (c) The fact that people rarely actually need to buy a new mattress, so how are all those stores still paying concerns?
It's mostly this, I think.

ikanreed posted:

It's very smart to go to a place the feds know is used for money laundering and has cameras everywhere to drop your marked bills. No back fire there.
Who was talking about marked bills?

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

It's the same thing, just on this page and not something you have to go to Twitter for.
Please put this before the large image next time.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Just curate your dataset so that, say, Yellow and Blue have no overlap except where they also overlap with Green or Red, simple!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Zil posted:

Oh I know, just trying to coin a term, but nothing rolls off the tongue like Y2K.

Where are my hazel brothers and sisters at?
I dunno, maybe we will have another date-related problem in the year 238,000! You still have a chance to be right!

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Tree Bucket posted:

There's something weirdly charming about the long-held goon antipathy for the Sun and all his works
gently caress the day orb :colbert:

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

predicting the collapse of civilizaiton at about 2030, I see

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Killingyouguy! posted:

Love to buy 1 hotdog and 1 bread
don't forget the 1 condiments.

Piell posted:

Just one condiments for me, please
:hmmyes:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Platystemon posted:

If Monty opens the door with the car, I’m choosing that door.
:hmmyes: