Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Whiz Palace posted:

"If it's longer than it's wide, it's a dick" would fit the meter better.

Depends what meter you're singing it to. I'm imagining a bouncy Tom Lehrer style and it fits just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

Hey Fathis Munk, how much ($) for a kilogram of restriction enzymes?

If you have to ask, you can't afford it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Heath posted:

How can you be said to have a relationship that's healthy but not enjoyable? If you're not enjoying it, it's not healthy by virtue of that.

Conversely, how can you have s friendship that's healthy but not enjoyable? If anything, I guess it could be called s professional relationship, say between coworkers, but the graph specifically claims to describe friends.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I need that laser pointer so bad.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
Cross-posting from the DnD image thread...

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

What's the red one?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Everything about this screams fake.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Postal Parcel posted:

Where's Dee? Is she the middle of them all?

This is politics and she is a woman, and thus her only role is to be a topic of discussion.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Platystemon posted:

So what is 00?

Still 1.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

I've seen that image many times over the years and still don't understand how a single person is supposed to survive on a measly $230,000

2/5

Try harder.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Aschlafly posted:

Bonus points: If the Republicans had used one of these methods during the primary, there'd be no Trump.

Interesting. Prove it please. Not saying you can't... I just want to see it explained.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Pyramid scheme recruitment material?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
All of those things taste good though :confused:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Outrail posted:

How long would it take to convince the average Trump voter that the chart actually is a commentary on Bush vs. Obama?

How long does it take to finish high school?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
I don't have the tools to illustrate my point but bear with me: the only thing wrong with that graph is the size of the Melenchon bar. Probably whoever made the image entered another value than is written to draw that one bar. If it were elongated by a bit, the relative sizes would fit.
A simple mistake that nevertheless should have been spotted.

Unless that tv station has a particular beef with that one candidate?

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Jabor posted:

You don't think a 1 being bigger than two other 1s put together counts as something wrong?

O dang I missed that

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Konec Hry posted:

Battlefield One: 2

I've been trying to say this out loud but I can't make it past the pause after saying "one" without laughing.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Foxhound posted:

because when you see it at the store you turn 360 degrees and walk away

That would leave you facing the game again.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

RandomPauI posted:

I did. I remember Rorschach being acted well, young lady superheroine being generic, and CGI Dr. Manhattan orgy.

Plus a sex scene that was waaay too graphic.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
This whole page: http://politiken.dk/udland/art5938193/Se-udviklingen-for-de-europæiske-socialdemokratier

It shows the percentage of votes achieved/polled for various European social democratic parties.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

I'm the three asterisks, implying that this is not the first time they've had to explain themselves like this.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Why isn't it organized by mean or something useful arrrrrgh

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Dragonwagon posted:

Pretty sure a single line works properly though.

You can see how Canada blocks most of the US aside from half of Florida.

Pretty sure you don't understand the issue.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Dragonwagon posted:

I used the line tool which (I assume) goes along a great circle, so it actually shows how the people making the graph got their results.

Oh dang, my bad.
I just thought it looked like you'd drawn a straight line on an off-center portion of a picture of a randomly tilted globe, ignoring curvature and whatnot.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Carbon dioxide posted:

https://www.sbnation.com/a/17776-football (not a graph but a (visual/) story thing.)

Dude I have to go to work, why are you showing me this?
I'm too far in to quit and there's no way I'm taking a break from it.
gently caress.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Seen in the offices of EUROSTAT, who really should know better.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
https://twitter.com/Reuters/status/990935426872508416?s=15

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

"slept with"

I mean I get why they don't write "hosed" but there's got to be a more appropriate term.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Albino Squirrel posted:

God, that drives me crazy. I see people filling out death certificates as 'cardiac arrest due to respiratory failure due to pneumonia' and I'm all JUST WRITE PNEUMONIA! It fucks up the stats if you don't write pneumonia!

Technically you could define death as 'cerebral hypoxia caused by cardiac arrest caused by ACTUAL CAUSE' for about 90% of causes of death, but that's only true in the most pedantic of senses, and doesn't give you any useful information on a population level.

I don't know where you're from but in Denmark they're required to do it that way, specifically for statistical reasons.

The health data authority has an "AI" that picks out the underlying cause, regardless of the order it was written in. Said AI is under continuous development by medical professionals in several countries, and of course there is tons of more or less manual quality control. So probably not infinitely infallible, but pretty good.

The diabetes examples is Interesting, and almost certainly will be debated at the next IRIS convention, though I haven't seen an abstract list yet.

https://www.dimdi.de/dynamic/de/klassifikationen/icd/iris-institut/

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Everyone gained in favorability except Biden, everyone gained in unfavorability except Sanders and Warren.
A good graph.

Also lol Williamson.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Krankenstyle posted:

the unification of germany was a mistake

My girlfriend regularly corrects people who refer to her heritage as German.

She's Prussian. :colbert:

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

from the Kaiser Family Foundation https://www.kff.org/global-health-policy/fact-sheet/coronavirus-tracker/

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

the worst thing about this graph is the roughly equal areas of the two scenarios, i.e. total number of cases until the virus is "defeated".

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Blue Footed Booby posted:

That's the point. Spreading out the same number of cases over time means fewer cases happen when the system for handling them are at capacity. This means fewer people need hospitalization at times when there isn't space in the hospitals.

While I am glad that the graph seems to have had an impact and that most countries have in fact enacted sweeping measures, I was (in the spirit of this thread) nitpicking the simplistic picture :)

You seem to be mistakenly accepting the implication that the total number of possible cases is constant regardless of strategy.

My point was that without any preventative measures, the number of cases - both new and concurrent - would be much slower to fall than the red graph shows, and would in all likelihood continue to be higher for a longer time than in the case with measures. Imagine the height of the red area, but extended beyond the end of the blue area - and hopefully declinging over time before reaching some threshold value beyond which society collapses.

Because without adequate quarantine as well as travel and assembly restrictions and the (already evident) attrition of medical staff and supplies the virus would spread farther, and repeated exposure might affect those who initially would not have fallen sick, or at the very least turn them into more effective vectors, increasing the reach and duration of the spread.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Oh good, my apologies for explaining it.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

AnoHito posted:

In German, "girl" is not a feminine noun. Anyone who could look at that and not scrap the concept of gendered nouns from the language altogether has clearly long since gone insane.

That's because it's composed of a feminine noun meaning "unwed/virgin female" and a diminutive suffix. That suffix, whenever it is used, determines the gender of the compound word and adds an umlaut (or ¨) to to the first syllable)

Magd + chen = Mädchen

There doesn't seem to be a word just for "girl" that isn't somehow linked to her future status as a spouse.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

Antigravitas posted:

Meanwhile…

Almost a perfectly solved cat's cradle, except for northern Spain and the direct line from Hamburg to Frankfurt bypassing Köln. I missed a plane last year trying to figure that last one out, and the signage on the station was no help at all.

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente
But you guys they compared the algorithm to results obtained from human surveys and it matched!

Which they apparently dont' realize is just another way of saying they've automated the obvious euro-centric bias of their focus group, by training an AI on historical euro-centric preferences. :bravo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeebus bob
Nov 4, 2004

Festina lente

We're going to need a bigger statement.