Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Jaguars! posted:

It's just 21 divided into 8 increments.

E:Projecting to 2033 based on two datapoints tho :randno:
It's not really based on data points. It's built into Bitcoin that the rate of minting new bitcoins halves every four years and the total asymptotically approaches 21 million, so these are the values it must have at any point give or take a few minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Haschel Cedricson posted:

What's wrong with Uagadou? Burkina Faso has a capital named Ouagadougou; I assume it's a similar etymology.
There's absolutely no way JK Rowling knows what language it is, let alone has she given any thought to etymology. The only thing you can say for it is she didn't obviously make it up by typing "magic" into Google Translate like she did with Japanese, Russian, and Portugese.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
There's a lot going on here but after seeing it a few times my favorite point is that by their analysis, deaths continued to trend upward after the "peak".

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

dwarf74 posted:

Illinois released some contact tracing data and should also release whoever made this pie chart.
Disagree. Whoever made that pie chart should be in custody.

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Ariong posted:

What the gently caress? I'd better go to the site linked for more information.

Are these... patch notes??? Uhhm. Maybe I should read the FAQ.

O_o
My "I am not a psychopath" FAQ has people frequently asking a lot of questions already answered by my FAQ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど

Phy posted:

That just reminded me that in yet another case of English being all hosed up, "you" was the plural form and "thou" was singular. Then the Normans brought over the T-V class distinction, so "thou" became cognate with "tu", for one person or one's equals and inferiors, and "you" with "vous" for multiple people or one's superiors. When the KJV bible was translated, they had God "thou" everybody to indicate the familiarity of the relationship one was expected to have with Him. While over time, "you" began to be democratized and also used for the singular, the KJV kept its increasingly archaic language, and now everyone thinks old timey people were like "Thou hast beshittened in the roade for the last tyme, Sir Reginald" absolutely all of the time. Also we had to invent yall and youse to replace the plural sense of you.
I sort of knew this but I assumed that the T-V distinction in Middle English was from the older Germanic roots, since German also has it. Weird that it's not present in Old English at all until basically the period when Norman French nobility began speaking English. Then did modern German also adopt it from Latin influence at some point?