Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
Seattle actually did have a chance to build a large metro network decades ago but ultimately didn't have enough people vote in favor for it. The light rail is good for what it is, but pales in comparison to the more robust metro network it could have had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Compare Seattle's much more recent light rail to the slightly smaller Portland which has had it's light rail network since the 80's.

Seattle has 2 lines (counting Tacoma), 25 stations and 26 miles of light rail.

Portland has 5 lines, 94 stations, and 59 miles of light rail.

Seattle had the opportunity to take advantage of federal funding around the same time period but not enough people voted in favor of it.

edit: and for the record, I regularly use Seattle's light rail, I just wish it had been built earlier because there's still areas of the city (east/west routes) that won't have light rail service until the 2030's.

Mustang has a new favorite as of 08:50 on Nov 28, 2022

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Shifty Nipples posted:

Late to the public transportation chat but I think Washington simply does not like public transportation. There have been several efforts to get a light rail connection across the Columbia river from Portland to Vancouver but they always vote against it, the political ads always call light rail a "crime train" and it always works to get people against it.

The light rail is expanding quite a bit in the Seattle area, plus plenty of other public transportation options and a higher rate of public transit ridership than Portland. Seattle is just late to building out it's rail network.

If you mention Vancouver to someone around here they think of the Canadian one, not the Portland suburb.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Ragnar34 posted:

No seriously, Colorado AND Washington hate California? I want to know the reasoning there. Maybe all our vacationers are assholes.

Anyone that has ever lived in Washington or Oregon would be well aware that California gets most of their negative attention.

Stereotypical Californian moving to the Pacific Northwest will acknowledge the areas natural beauty but complain endlessly that the people are awful and not outgoing enough, and they'll do this while meeting someone new and then be mystified why no one wants to be their friend.

Californians new to Washington do generally stand out pretty easily, in a similar way that a Texan would except that there's not that many Texans moving to Washington.

Sagebrush posted:

Other states vs. California:

You're doing it right now!