Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
parallel has had a hard time lately

but it's timoe for a comeback.

lightning port? more like fuckin treacle port

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

enjoy your 17 symbols per second scrub

*peels out at a dece 6.5 gb/s on a high speed differential pair*

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru
i remember the day i found out that m2m and f2f adaptors were available.

i nearly pissed my pants with excitement at the possibilities.

:(

Symbolic Butt
Mar 22, 2009

(_!_)
Buglord

url posted:

yospiss bitch

pram
Jun 10, 2001
up u go little thread

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

DuckConference posted:

yeah imagine that speed but like instead of two wires, you had more

Korean Boomhauer
Sep 4, 2008
parallol port

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
so instead of just the little lightning cable, you're looking at like 17 lightning cables worth of bandwidth?

Peanut and the Gang
Aug 24, 2009

by exmarx

url posted:

Homosexual adapters.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
at least

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

DuckConference posted:

what if...you use a shitload of pins so each symbol is like a gigabit long :350: :420: :2bong:

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
be careful about cable lengths though

the NeXT Laser Printer just had a simple controller, all the smarts was on the NeXT Computer itself. and it only had a 9ft cable. wanted a longer cable? tough, they didn't make them.

so some people tried to make longer cables. only they discovered that they didn't work. right pinout, right capacitance, right resistance, etc. but they didn't work—unless they were a multiple of 9ft long.

turns out that the signaling they used cared enough about timing that the speed of light delay mattered in the construction of the cable and getting the clocking and data to align correctly

so you had to use a scope to measure the value of c in the wire you were using, and then work out how long your cable had to be, and even then some things wouldn't ever work quite right because they had to happen on certain clocks rather than just aligned with them

then a few years later there was PCI, which was intentionally unterminated so signal reflection would something something…

bus design is hard

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i have no idea how any of this poo poo works

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

i have no idea how any of this poo poo works

imagine if you had eight eyes and the way you read a word was each eye looked at a letter each, rather than scanning the word from start to end

claerly having 8 eyes woudl be better

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
i mean i just figured modern connectors had like an infinite number of eyes by that analogy

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
maybe on the software side but the way the hardware communicates to each other

DONT THREAD ON ME
Oct 1, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
Floss Finder
could you make a computer where every major component has its own SoC with a wifi chip and then instead of using the bus or w/e they all communicate over wifi

that would be a really bad computer

Beast of Bourbon
Sep 25, 2013

Pillbug
why dont they just build 1 big chip that does everything like internet/graphics/memory/storage and do it really quickly

like i don't care if it's 'expensive' or 'hard' or whatever, like i'd pay $500 for a really good PC version of the macbook pro 17"

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

imagine if you had eight eyes and the way you read a word was each eye looked at a letter each, rather than scanning the word from start to end

claerly having 8 eyes woudl be better
why stop at 8

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sweevo
Nov 8, 2007

i sometimes throw cables away

i mean straight into the bin without spending 10+ years in the box of might-come-in-handy-someday first

im a fucking monster

MALE SHOEGAZE posted:

could you make a computer where every major component has its own SoC with a wifi chip and then instead of using the bus or w/e they all communicate over wifi

yes it's called the Internet of Things

• Locked thread