Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Tell me your stories. I long to know what it is like to go out of doors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
One time I was in alaska with my dad and we were on a hike. We had been walking along this hill for like twenty minutes and when we got to the end we found out it was in fact not a hill at all, it was a giant rear end tree that had fallen down. Like the trunk was bigger than a house big.

----------------

drilldo squirt

a beautiful, soft meat sack
During the same trip we were camping near a lake and a moose decided to eat in that lake so we had a cool dinner eating chili while watching a moose eat moss or whatever that crap is on the lake bottom.

----------------

fema crisis actor

bweee-ooo-eee-ooo-eee-ooo
Enchanted Rock is a cool place in the Texas Hill Country I like to go.

The name comes from the fact that it expands in the daytime in the heat and contracts in the cool night sometimes, and makes it cool weird deep groaning sound you can hear while you're laying in your tent.

There are lots of good places to smoke weed

Edit: the pedernales river goes through the park near the entrance, once you make camp walk back to the river and turn right, go past 2 barbed wire fences, and the river widens into a awesome flat rock bottom sort of pool on private property where I like to swim. The cows don't seem to mind

Looke

my friend once fractured his tibia & fibia when we were hiking in the brecon beacons so we had to secure it with a stick and some rope and carry him to the nearest road

poverty goat

basically just your entire body covered in mosquito bites, poison ivy and sunburn

dogcrash truther

Corbae posted:

my friend once fractured his tibia & fibia when we were hiking in the brecon beacons so we had to secure it with a stick and some rope and carry him to the nearest road

Whenever I go hiking I think about what would happen if I broke a limb far from civilization. How the hell did he deal with the pain?

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
used to go hiking behind a park. some times i'd find a few baggies with enough weed for a decent bowl or two.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

once i was out huntin and i heard a screaming sound and it scared the poo poo out of me, it was a fox a few ft away

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qwiwqKE-moo

dogcrash truther

fema crisis actor posted:

Enchanted Rock is a cool place in the Texas Hill Country I like to go.

The name comes from the fact that it expands in the daytime in the heat and contracts in the cool night sometimes, and makes it cool weird deep groaning sound you can hear while you're laying in your tent.

There are lots of good places to smoke weed

Edit: the pedernales river goes through the park near the entrance, once you make camp walk back to the river and turn right, go past 2 barbed wire fences, and the river widens into a awesome flat rock bottom sort of pool on private property where I like to swim. The cows don't seem to mind

Screenshot the google maps image of this place and circle the smoke spots please

Piso Mojado

Corbae posted:

I used to backpack a lot in college and one time I planned a 3 day solo trip through the Ozark mountains. At the end of the first day I was jumping a small stream and tore my ACL. I couldn't walk, and every step was excruciating. I camped there and hoped someone would come by, but no one ever did. luckily, I keep a vicodin in my first aid kit and had lots of weed to help with the pain, i also saw on the map that a road was only two miles away. I ended up putting on a knee wrap, constructed a make-shift crutch, hid my gear, and made it to that road (took me like 8 hours!) where I was picked up by some park rangers. it was the scariest situation in my life and if that road wasn't there I might have died. I never went backpacking again haha.

Piso Mojado

I also ran out of water that trip and had to drink from a stagnet stream where I contracted some nasty stomach bug. this is why you NEVER go solo!

A LOVELY LAD

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

Piso Mojado posted:

I also ran out of water that trip and had to drink from a stagnet stream where I contracted some nasty stomach bug. this is why you NEVER go solo!

that poo poo is awesome and terrifying

fuck. marry. t-rex

One time I went backpacking in the Appalachians in about a foot and a half of snow and the first morning was really loving cold to where we had to start hiking so we didn't freeze

Anyway we hiked up this whole drat mountain sidewinding and it took like 12 hours and it was miserable and exhausting and then when we got to the top we sat for a while. Then we sprinted down the whole slope with gravity and it was super easy- literally flew down intersecting our trudged cutbacks in the snow over and over me and my friends running as fast as we could and we finished in about 15 minutes and it was v exhilarating. Then we left because if stayed another night we'd probably die it was like -10f

fuck. marry. t-rex

One time I went outside at night and there was a glowing color changing baby octopus in my friend's hand, because we were 40 under water in a reef under our moored boat, and my friend was a northern irish marine conservationist in the bahama marine park

fuck. marry. t-rex

One time I was hiking at stone mountain [i think] and we ran out of tinder for a fire and everything was wet and we got desperate and tore up our map and burned it.

Anyway it worked and we found out way back out without incident, but it was spooky

the unabonger
i generally have terrible luck fishing, but the one time i caught something cool was when i was fishing off the warf in santa cruz and i caught a baby octopus. it was chilling on the line, nibbling the bait we had on the hook. it was probably only three or four inches in diameter

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

i flunked out posted:

i generally have terrible luck fishing, but the one time i caught something cool was when i was fishing off the warf in santa cruz and i caught a baby octopus. it was chilling on the line, nibbling the bait we had on the hook. it was probably only three or four inches in diameter

did you let it go or did you keep it is a pet?

----------------

Looke

dogcrash truther posted:

Whenever I go hiking I think about what would happen if I broke a limb far from civilization. How the hell did he deal with the pain?

a cocktail of paracetamols, ibuprofen and codeine, hardly touched him but he was on leave from army training at that point so tried to act like the big alpha dog and not show any signs of pain

Piso Mojado posted:

I used to backpack a lot in college and one time I planned a 3 day solo trip through the Ozark mountains. At the end of the first day I was jumping a small stream and tore my ACL. I couldn't walk, and every step was excruciating. I camped there and hoped someone would come by, but no one ever did. luckily, I keep a vicodin in my first aid kit and had lots of weed to help with the pain, i also saw on the map that a road was only two miles away. I ended up putting on a knee wrap, constructed a make-shift crutch, hid my gear, and made it to that road (took me like 8 hours!) where I was picked up by some park rangers. it was the scariest situation in my life and if that road wasn't there I might have died. I never went backpacking again haha.

Sounds scary as heck - an epic story though. I might have to include weed in my first aid kit in future

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

gently caress. marry. t-rex posted:

Then we sprinted down the whole slope with gravity and it was super easy- literally flew down intersecting our trudged cutbacks in the snow over and over me and my friends running as fast as we could and we finished in about 15 minutes and it was v exhilarating. Then we left because if stayed another night we'd probably die it was like -10f

Take care when hiking downhill though everybody, you can seriously gently caress your knees up. People tend to think of the downhill bit as the 'easy' part, but you can injure yourself so much more if you do it wrong, and there aren't really any ways to avoid it other than caution and moderation. Last year I was doing a 20km hike up and down a mountain that I hadn't done in a while, and on the way down I misjudged the distance, kept thinking there was a good spot to rest sooner than there was, ended up pushing me and my wife way further and harder than I should have and hosed up the iliotibial band in both my knees, and both of hers. Did 8k down in probably an hour and a half, then the last 2k in about 6. It was very unpleasant, especially the last km or so, when I decided carrying my wife on my back and both backpacks over my shoulders was a good idea, since I'd worked out a marginally faster stride than she could manage.

Remember, every step you take on a level surface exerts like, 3-5 times your bodyweight or something on your load bearing knee, more obviously when you've got a loaded backpack, and more when you're going downhill, making longer reaches with your leg, jarring it or distributing weight more evenly. Couldn't go back to hiking for a month after that. Shouldn't have been hiking even then, honestly, lots of pain, but I wasn't going to lose more of the summer.

Lots of hiking horror stories in this thread though, gonna have to post something more uplifting. There's a pretty good positive sentiment implied though in the fact that even after going through these poo poo episodes, we keep going back nonetheless.

fuck. marry. t-rex

Normally downhill sucks but the snow made it easy cuz it was fresh and since it cushions as you sink and also levels your footsteps

It's just extra miserable going up cuz you sink and slide and have difficulty clearing your feet with the slope

fuck. marry. t-rex fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 9, 2015

fuck. marry. t-rex

One time I was playing soccer and it was the final match of a regional tournament and a close friend was a midfield for the other team- well he was being a real oval office and injuring all of our strikers so we'd stay 1 goal down and eventually he'd taken out 3!!

Anyway eventually I checked him and broke his collar bone but it was too late and we lost by 1 pt anyway and got 2nd place

We're still friends and tbqh I admired his play 2 win determination even if I wanted to murder him at the time

tao of lmao

Camping with friends and realizing my tent had no poles or stakes. Had to construct a makeshift lean-to using driftwood, rope, duct tape, and the tent fabric. It wasn't the most luxurious of situations, but I was so proud. I'll see if I can dig up a pic when I get home.

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Hiking off the BC coast this summer provided some depressing evidence for how hosed up the climate has been there lately. There are a few glacial lakes deep in the mountains I usually like to go cliff jumping at, but this year they were at least ten to fifteen feet lower than usual. Where I'd normally be jumping into was nothing bust wide expanses of barren boulders. The river that usually flows downhill the whole way along the "trail" was nowhere to be seen.

Coastal rainforest transforming into coastal desert.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

I was deep in the mountains hunting elk with my ex-wife's family(this was while we were still married, of course.) We hadn't had any luck so far, so while everyone slept at the camp, my mother-in-law and I went on an early morning scouting trip. This was further out in the mountains that we would usually go, but our usual hunting place had gotten popular, so we moved further out into the wilderness. we hadn't seen any other hunters since we had arrived and had spotted a couple of black bears, but there were plenty of tracks and fresh droppings, so we knew they were close. we headed east, farther into the wild, because we had heard elk calls coming from that direction the night before. there was snow on the ground, so it was hard going and at one point we had the choice of going up a stony(slippery) ridge or up a shallow, tree filled valley. we chose the valley. the minute we entered the trees, something felt wrong. a sense deep within told us that we had made a mistake, but we kept going. it was strangely warm and quiet in there. and even though the winter was bitterly cold and windy, the atmosphere in this wood was musty and oppressive. our boots started making a strange hollow crunching sound as we walked further in and my mother-in-law stooped and picked up a bone, elk, gnawed on. the forest floor was covered in bones. just then it started o lighten up as the sun came over a ridge and we saw bones and carcasses hanging in the trees. we had wandered into a mountain lion den.
we knew we were being watched, but you never see one of them until it's too late. as they usually go for the back of the neck, we stood back to back and took turns leading each other out of the forest. it was probably only minutes, but it seemed to take hours to get out of there.
when we got back, we told everyone that the trip was over, packed up our things and left.

fuck. marry. t-rex

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN posted:

I was deep in the mountains hunting elk with my ex-wife's family(this was while we were still married, of course.) We hadn't had any luck so far, so while everyone slept at the camp, my mother-in-law and I went on an early morning scouting trip. This was further out in the mountains that we would usually go, but our usual hunting place had gotten popular, so we moved further out into the wilderness. we hadn't seen any other hunters since we had arrived and had spotted a couple of black bears, but there were plenty of tracks and fresh droppings, so we knew they were close. we headed east, farther into the wild, because we had heard elk calls coming from that direction the night before. there was snow on the ground, so it was hard going and at one point we had the choice of going up a stony(slippery) ridge or up a shallow, tree filled valley. we chose the valley. the minute we entered the trees, something felt wrong. a sense deep within told us that we had made a mistake, but we kept going. it was strangely warm and quiet in there. and even though the winter was bitterly cold and windy, the atmosphere in this wood was musty and oppressive. our boots started making a strange hollow crunching sound as we walked further in and my mother-in-law stooped and picked up a bone, elk, gnawed on. the forest floor was covered in bones. just then it started o lighten up as the sun came over a ridge and we saw bones and carcasses hanging in the trees. we had wandered into a mountain lion den.
we knew we were being watched, but you never see one of them until it's too late. as they usually go for the back of the neck, we stood back to back and took turns leading each other out of the forest. it was probably only minutes, but it seemed to take hours to get out of there.
when we got back, we told everyone that the trip was over, packed up our things and left.

:eyepop::yikes::ohshit:

Piso Mojado

here's a funny hunting story - a few years back I was turkey hunting way way out in the Missouri backwoods at this little known conservation area. I had been there all morning and hadn't heard anything other than the occasional "pop" of a shotgun in the distance. After a while I heard a shot somewhere in the valley then, after a brief pause, that was followed by 4 more consecutive shots in short procession. This was very suspicious as with turkey you generally only get one chance...maybe a desperate second shot at most but never more. So then I thought it may have been an SOS, but that's only 3 shots. I thought about it for a while and came to the conclusion that it was poachers or some rear end in a top hat kids. At the time I was working with the EPA on a joint project with the local conservation office so I decided to go back to the lot and try to catch and report these jerks, if that was the case.

I hurried back to the only parking lot at the area and waited. A short time later a hunter came out of the woods with two trash bags full of stuff and I knew I had got the guy. But before I could say anything he SLAMMED the bags in the back of his truck furiously and I could tell by the sound that something harder than turkeys were in the bag. He then kicked his fender and cussed loudly. I approached him, explained about what I had heard, and asked if he was the one shooting. I'm pretty sure he wanted to punch me right in the face, haha.

He explained that he was calling from a few ridges over when out of nowhere some 90 year old local yokel came out of the tree line and blasted one of his decoys. I guess the old fart must have thought it was his lucky day as he dropped one, but none of the others ran, so he proceded to shoot the rest (which is v illegal in MO - 1 turkey per day). Then the guy realized what he'd done, and walked off the way he came.

I asked the hunter, "Why didn't you say anything?". He looked at me like I was an idiot and said, "kid, if a blind rear end in a top hat can't tell the difference between a decoy and a real turkey, then you'd be stupid to think he wouldn't just shoot anything that moved. I lost my decoys, but at least I'm not pulling shot out of my rear end!". lol

I help teach hunters safety classes now and I tell this story every time, haha.

dogcrash truther
btw please post pictures of all this stuff, to compliment the interesting words you are writing. I am enjoying this thread. I can now plausibly pretend to know what the great outdoors are like when i correspond with my pen pals.

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

I put my thumb up my bum and shut one eye, and my thumb blotted out the planet Earth.

dogcrash truther posted:

btw please post pictures of all this stuff, to compliment the interesting words you are writing. I am enjoying this thread. I can now plausibly pretend to know what the great outdoors are like when i correspond with my pen pals.

I don't have any photos of the trip that I described, but here, have one of my son standing on a cliff:

fuck. marry. t-rex

Ahhhh, into the wilds, primal, just me and my necessary survival goods, and selfiestick. -DCT

FluffieDuckie

here's the nature outside my front door. the boxsy thing on the left hand side is the base of a radar dish that sat up there in world war 2 to make sure those pesky Japanese didn't sneak over the ocean and mess with us. when they took the dish off they left the base. right now we can't hike all the way to the dish, but they're opening it up soon. I'd imagine the view over the ocean is super cool so if they ever get it open i'll go get a picture for you.

Lil Cunty

one summer I was building firelines in the Idaho wilderness and we made our camp in a clearing at the top of a smallish mountain we were working. my gf and I had pitched our tent behind this other kids van to take advantage of its shade during the day

that night the worst lightning storm I've ever seen happened. lightening was hitting the ground all around us outside the tent. trees were exploding and the air smelled like fire and ozone. the van we were camped next to was close enough that if you pushed your hand hard enough on the tent wall you could touch it. when lightening struck the van, I'm not even kidding I could see everything perfectly through my eyelids, which where clenched shut bc by this point my ex and I were clinging to each other screaming and crying and wondering what we'd done to deserve this impossible judgement

it was fine nobody died but the kid in the van said the glow in the dark stars on the van ceiling stayed lit up all night so bright he couldn't sleep after

it was one of the scariest things that's ever happened to me though and we left the next week

e: im busy getting ready for work but please pretend I went through and corrected my spelling and autocorrect errors

Lil Cunty fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 9, 2015

ty crap

ty landy

GODSPEED JOHN GLENN

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
I enjoy being on the water all day and getting a good amount of color, maybe a few drinks and a smoke, then some more beers in the evening when the "sun drunk" overtakes your body

for my outdoors story: when I was 18 we climbed over a mountain to watch a show we didn't have tickets for except we were tripping on mushrooms so we climbed the wrong mountain and once we realized I started to have a massive sugar low and we had to grab handfuls of wild strawberries to help me survive until we got back down the mountain

I hope everyone goes outside as much as possible

tao of lmao

Ahh, yes. Airship National Park.

pig slut lisa

irl is good

I have an outdoorsy story.

In college I spent a couple summers out at our geology field camp in northwest Wyoming. It was a really cool experience because most of the learning came on hikes or driving tours through really beautiful and interesting places.

One summer we had a project that required me to spend several hours a day standing in a river taking measurements. I was basically living in my swimsuit for 3-4 days. This was one of those swimsuits with a mesh liner, and I guess after wearing that for multiple days in a row it irritated my skin and gave me kind of a rash on my inner thighs. It was somewhat but not terribly uncomfortable. I also wasn't showering during this time because we were out camping. Everyone was gross and stinky but also happy and really loving the project.

The project ends and we drive back to the main camp. That night, like every night, there was a bonfire where people from all the different classes could hang out. One of these people was Mary, who I knew from back at college. Everyone is beautiful to someone, but Mary was not beautiful to me. Quite the opposite. Pretty much everything about her looks and personality was just not my thing. Mary was drinking pretty heavily at the bonfire, while I was a little dehydrated so I was just drinking water. It wasn't too long before Mary began very obviously hitting on me: putting her hand on my leg, leaning close, etc. I was sending pretty strong vibes that I was not interested but she was undeterred. I announced that I was going to go check my email in the computer lab, got up, and left the bonfire.

About 10 minutes later the computer lab door opens. It's Mary. She's come to find me, and she keeps up her efforts. It's very distracting and annoying so I say "Well I think I'm just going to head back to my cabin. Bye Mary." I walk back alone.

I'm in my cabin rearranging some of my stuff when Mary comes in. I don't really know what to do, so I just keep up what I'm working on. The cabins don't have shelves so all my stuff is in my big backpack on the floor and another bag. As I'm bent over Mary walks over, kind of grabs my shirt, and pulls me in and kisses me. It's the only time in my life I've been kissed when I don't want it and it is really unpleasant.

However, I was also a 19 year old boy and had not had any release in like 3 weeks because there's no privacy in camp, so while my rational human brain is trying to figure out how to express how uncomfortable I am, my horny lizard brain rears up and takes control. I sigh, say "hold on", reach down to bag to grab a fifth of vodka, stick it in my hoodie pocket, and say "let's do this".

We leave the cabin. Mary says she "has a spot". I follow her, trying to swig as much vodka as possible so I can get drunk and get into this a little more. We walk past the rows of cabins. We walk past the doublewide where the cooking staff lives. We walk behind the dumpsters and it is this place, smelling of food waste and on the soft slope of the hills ringing the camp, that is Mary's "spot".

We get down on the ground together. I can't drink any more vodka. I hope it takes effect soon. Mary and I start making out. It's not good. Soon Mary says "I want to do something for you" and pulls down my swimsuit. She goes down on me. It's less good than the making out. I look up at the stars. It's a clear night. I can smell the trash and hear the sounds of the bonfire. The cool air feels good on my rashed thighs. The pine needles on the ground are making my butt itch. The vodka is worthless. I bear down and will myself to finish.

Mary moves back up next to me. I try to find as tactful a way as possible to say that I don't want to reciprocate. She's cool with it. We talk a little and go our separate ways, promising not to tell anyone about this. The next day multiple people ask me about last night with Mary. She told everyone. It was the farthest I got with anyone that summer.

Here are some nice pictures of my time in Wyoming, including one where I'm about to jump out of a tree into a river.

The postscript to my story is that my wife "J" was also at camp that summer. We were good friends, although there was no romantic interest between us at the time. Some people thought there was though, including Mary. Apparently that night Mary asked J if she could make a move on me. J said "go for it, I'm not interested." I have still never forgiven her for giving Mary the green light.

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

That was a beautiful story and much better than the one I was going to follow it with but I'm going to use this nothingpost as a buffer to make mine seem more interesting in comparison, wait for it guys

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

when I was little, probably 8 or 9, my dad decided to take the family with him turkey hunting in a deep, hidden canyon somewhere in the Jemez mountains. so while he was out failing miserably to kill turkeys, my mom, brother, and I got really bored and decided to climb up the rocky slope behind the camper. we kept saying, "we'll stop at that next big rock, the top is at that next big rock" but it never was. we must've climbed halfway up the canyon wall before we decided it was too much and retreated.

no pictures sadly, if any existed my mom has them at her house.

cat_herder fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 9, 2015

Larry Parrish

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i had a lot of fun climbing up and running along the top of the ridges at valley of fire national park in nevada, which i later found out you aren't supposed to do, but gently caress it it was fun, if i break a leg its my fault anyway

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Piso Mojado

hahaha @ psl

• Locked thread