Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.
Here's one of the lakes I was talking about earlier. Not the worst example, but all the land in the foreground should be under water, and the water line around the edges ought to be right up to the tree line.

Here's a small stream that I had to walk back down along after wrecking my iliotibial bands.

Aaaand a stairway made out of roots that I thought was neat?

I dunno, most of my pictures are on a portable harddrive I don't feel like digging through right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Theglavwen posted:

Here's one of the lakes I was talking about earlier. Not the worst example, but all the land in the foreground should be under water, and the water line around the edges ought to be right up to the tree line.

Here's a small stream that I had to walk back down along after wrecking my iliotibial bands.

I dunno, most of my pictures are on a portable harddrive I don't feel like digging through right now.

those are beautiful!

dogcrash truther

Lil Cunty posted:

one summer I was building firelines in the Idaho wilderness

I want to know everything about this for...uhh...halloween when I will pretend to be a fireline builder

dogcrash truther

Theglavwen posted:

These are great...whereabouts did you take em? Looks like the Pacific Northwest.

dogcrash truther

The outdoors teaches us many lessons, not all of them pleasant.

Lil Cunty

dogcrash truther posted:

I want to know everything about this for...uhh...halloween when I will pretend to be a fireline builder

I used to be a preschool teacher so I had summer's off. my ex and I would always work at the pea factory in the summer during harvest but they shut it down so we didn't have anything to do for a few months one year so we got jobs with a Panamanian contractor who built firelines in the woods and mountains. It basically entails clearing 500 ft wide lines through the forest so if there is a fire it doesn't spread out of control. there were big guys on our team who could do ax work, several little guys and my ex who operated the chainsaw, and an old guy with one eye who was too weak to cut trees down so me and him cleared brush and undergrowth with a machete bc I am also small and weak

it wasn't very glamorous but I was in the best shape of my life

I hated it though I kept finding poops that smelled like huckleberries and then I found the bear who made the poops and almost made one myself. to this day the smell of huckleberries sends an icy chill down my spine true story

ty crap

ty landy

FluffieDuckie

One time I had a fanatical Girl Scout troop leader who seemed to not understand that we were 10 year old girly girls who were more interested in fixing our hair and talking about boys than getting dirty and sleeping outdoors. Undeterred she drug us out to the wilderness and we camped out in pup tents in the pouring rain. The next morning she took us on a hike in the mud. At one point she made us wade through this river to get to an island. I distinctly remember an outsider telling her that was a bad idea because all the rain the night before was going to swell the river in a few hours. She pushed through and drug us out there. Predictably when we tried to return the river had turned into a raging rapids. Some men had to string a rope across the river and take turns picking up a Girl Scout and dragging her along the rope to the other side.

The next time we went camping I had an asthma attack and had to be ambulanced out of there. About 5 years ago I went camping with my daughters troop and I got severe food poisoning and had to be ambulanced out of there.

The last time my daughters troop went camping my daughter asked me to stay home.

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

Theglavwen

Frankly, I don't know anyone who likes Chinese bronzes, but I have one of the finest collections in the country.

dogcrash truther posted:

These are great...whereabouts did you take em? Looks like the Pacific Northwest.

Got it in one, yeah. These were all taken in BC, couple hours out of Vancouver, the Chilliwack area.

Here's a non hiking story. Couple months ago some of my friends and I decided to build a hot tub while camping by another lake in the area. Then we did.

Seems to have had a weird effect on Brian here though.

Couple weeks later there was a forest fire in that area. Went camping again and watched it from across the lake.

And here's a picture of my wife hanging out by a river, as an apology for all that pasty goony dudeflesh earlier up.

alnilam

one time my friend and i motorcycled into a certain national forest in PA. the national forest rule is you can camp ANYWHERE you just gotta go a little back from the road, but also not bushwack too far back either. so it's great for backpacking, because you can camp wherever the hell you want! right?

nope, apparently half the goddamn thing is actually private property and nobody told us this, and it's not really marked either. so my friend and i motorcycle along this beautiful creek until we find a nice spot to pull over, and we assume because we're in the national forest it's fine, so we wade through a river that is warm as h*ck because it's shallow and slow and it was sunny and hot out

we unpack our poo poo from our bikes, including a bundle of firewood i managed to tie onto my pillion with rope, and we carry it all across the river to an island, and fgind a really nice spot to make camp, and a rocky bank to have a fire. we do so. by this point the sun is low and there is a mist on the air because it rained on us on the ride up, and holy goddamn poo poo with the sunset light and the mist it was like the sky was on fire, so pretty

we have a jar of whiskey and some beer, which we're starting to work on, and I get to setting up a fire while my friend fishes a little hoping for some bonus dinner, meanwhile every once in a while we see a car drive down this remote-rear end road where our bieks our parked and we're sort of watching if anyone stops because sometimes assholes (esp punkass teens) see motorcycles and they're like "lol cool bikes let's go gently caress with them." well none of the cars stop for a while, that's good. finally one of them does and we stop laughing and we're like "ah god damnit we gotta go check on this."

let me also point out that i'm carrying one of those religious jar-candles you get for a dollar in a mexican grocery, for light, and my friend has a headlamp on red mode

so we wade across the creek again, walk up the hill, and boom, flashlight in our faces. it's a cop. I'm not going to give too many details but basically he's trying SO HARD to push our buttons like cops are trained to do, and we are the two coolest goddamn cucumbers there are so he's not getting anywhere. he's all, what are you doing here, and we say we're camping etc. and at some point he's like "I'm not really buying your story." WHat?? I mean christ it's 10 pm and we're in the woods, what else are we doing? He gives me poo poo about my candle I was carrying so maybe he thinks we're doing some dark satanic rituals idk. He also doesn't believe that we carried camping gear in on motorcycles (it's really not hard :confused:). He also says we're technically within a narrow 200 foot strip of property that isn't public land, it's owned by the army corps of engineers for flood control reasons or something, and acts like we were supposed to know that. He also understandably keeps asking me to keep my distance and keep my hands out of my pockets, which I understand and I kept putting my hands in my pockets without thinking cause it's chilly, but he says it in an unnecessarily tough guy way (what you gonna pull a knife on me? huh??) ANyway he continues to try to push our buttons for a while and keeps reminding us how much trouble we could be in just like that *snap* if he wanted, and eventually he tells my friend to go break up our camp, then when he has me alone he asks if we've been drinking and I'm like "yeah honestly we have, after we break up camp we might sit here for a while until we're sober enough to ride somewhere else." So finally he tells us we can stay, ONLY because HE says so and he "doesn't wanna be back here peelin [our] bodies off the road at 2 am," he tells me to go tell my friend we can stay, and he watches me cross the river and notices that hey we weren't lying, we do have a tent down there. So we come back up, my friend brings his backpack up with his fishing rod to prove we really were camping and fishing ,and after giving us a hard time for a little more and reminding us how much he's the one in charge here, he leaves

This whole ordeal was like an hour and a half. But after returning to camp we just took the biggest swig of whiskey and started laughing about it and we finally lit our fire and had a good night in a beautiful spot. the next day there was also a rope swing we found, all in all it was worth it since we didn't actually get in trouble.

platonicbackrub

In DCT voice: the outdoors sounds nice.. ahh i hope i can go there one day

FluffieDuckie

I have it on good authority that dct has recently been outside

Thank you for the beautiful sig Machai!

dogdisaster

by Lowtax
sometimes i like to sneak out into the woods and kiss the stoats

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

tao of lmao

as promised

Al Borland

by XyloJW
When you do good at outdoorsy things.

Robert Redford is there to approve of you.

----------------

dogcrash truther

tao of lmao posted:

as promised

lol

GoodbyeTurtles

:suezo:

tao of lmao posted:

as promised

sleep in there if you like logs and being crushed by them

Theglavwen

tao of lmao posted:

as promised

Beautiful.

dogdisaster

by Lowtax

tao of lmao posted:

as promised

i like the led light as a finishing touch, it's like a cute land tugboat

----------------

vapoursquid

none other
hammocks are far superior to tents when the weathers nice

GEExCEE

tao of lmao posted:

as promised

Lol

fuck. marry. t-rex

tao of lmao

you can laugh but i'm loving proud of that thing

GEExCEE

it's far and away the greatest tent I've ever seen

GEExCEE

My favorite part is the flashlight hanging from the top

the unabonger

tao of lmao posted:

as promised

lol

alnilam

GEExCEE posted:

it's far and away the greatest tent I've ever seen

tao of lmao

that tent kept me dry and bug free and also the light kept monsters away

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Some nebulous time in high school or college, my dad and brother (when I was still on good terms with them) decided they wanted to go camping, and I went along because I love camping, and I was afraid they'd set themselves on fire or get lost.

This was a last minute, 5:30 pm on a Friday afternoon when Dad's already drunk decision. We basically grabbed everything that we figured we'd need, threw it in my brother's truck, and hit the road asap. It was already getting dark by the time we got to the village that was about halfway to the lake, but damnit, we were determined to go camping!

So we get to Fenton Lake, and no one has money but me. Of course. I pay the camping fee and we drive around for 45 minutes as it dawns on us that it's pretty loving late, and everyone has already arrived and taken all the good camp sites. We finally find one on a lovely rock-strewn hill far from the lake and set up, and this was our campsite:

one (1) government-issue fire pit
one (1) reclining sun-baked beach chair to put immediately next to the fire pit, for Dad to pass out on
one (1) pick up truck bed, with an assortment of blankets of various stages of filthy, that my brother claimed
one (1) tarp
one (1) knotted up pile of tent rope
two and a half (2 1/2) tent stakes, bent horribly
one (1) sleeping bag that I remembered to grab for myself
one (1) cooler full of beer that my dad and brother like
one (1) bag of chips from the gas station on the way up for myself
assortment of fishing gear that I was too tired and pissed off to go digging through in the dark

Because my dad and brother were more interested in getting drunk and yelling at the campfire than helping me find decent sticks in the dark with no flashlight, I decided that if a wolf, bear, or mountain lion came along and ate me while I slept, it would be an improvement to my situation, and slept on top of the tarp, in the sleeping bag.

That's how I learned not to camp with unreliable assholes.

joke_explainer

I have not camped since bivouac at Benning, more than 10 years ago. Theoretically I think I could probably camp sucessfully, but it's hard to justify leaving, like, air conditioning, and really solidly built walls to go out to the wilderness. Still, I'm loving these pictures. This is a great thread! Want to see more pictures of the amazing places you all have traveled to.

Theglavwen

joke_explainer posted:

it's hard to justify leaving, like, air conditioning, and really solidly built walls to go out to the wilderness.

Nope!

You can even do it in the winter, it can be rewarding no matter when you do it. Here's two from the camping trip where I proposed.

blaise rascal

"Duke, Duke, Duke, Duke of Pearl...."
Really appreciating this thread

ty vanisher, ty khanstant

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Theglavwen posted:

Nope!

You can even do it in the winter, it can be rewarding no matter when you do it. Here's two from the camping trip where I proposed.

winter camping seems hardcore to me, but I freeze my rear end off at the slightest inclination. the pictures are beautiful, though!

SulfurMonoxideCute

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Winter camping is good.

I went camping last night, but it wasn't wintery. I was in a tshirt all night in the Canadian mountains. It's really warm right now.

I also have a poo poo ton of stories because I spend as much time outdoors as I can. I'll start with my heli-rescue I guess.

I fell off the side of a mountain while descending and fell 15 feet down a cliff band onto a little ledge on top of a 500 foot vertical cliff. I got massive scrapes and cuts all over my body and couldn't bend my leg. Nothing broken, but I couldn't keep climbing down. We called for a rescue and they picked me up via a cable under a helicopter and flew me to an ambulance and I got to go the hospital. 10 stitches in my head, 3 in my leg. Covered in blood. Couldn't walk for four days.

I was back on a summit 5 weeks later because I loving live for this poo poo.

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Picnic Princess posted:

Winter camping is good.

I went camping last night, but it wasn't wintery. I was in a tshirt all night in the Canadian mountains. It's really warm right now.

I also have a poo poo ton of stories because I spend as much time outdoors as I can. I'll start with my heli-rescue I guess.

I fell off the side of a mountain while descending and fell 15 feet down a cliff band onto a little ledge on top of a 500 foot vertical cliff. I got massive scrapes and cuts all over my body and couldn't bend my leg. Nothing broken, but I couldn't keep climbing down. We called for a rescue and they picked me up via a cable under a helicopter and flew me to an ambulance and I got to go the hospital. 10 stitches in my head, 3 in my leg. Covered in blood. Couldn't walk for four days.

I was back on a summit 5 weeks later because I loving live for this poo poo.

holy cats :chanpop: you're amazing

Theglavwen

Fantastic.

meteloides posted:

winter camping seems hardcore to me, but I freeze my rear end off at the slightest inclination. the pictures are beautiful, though!

One of the great appeals to this sort of activity for me is the isolation, the removal of other human stimuli, and you almost never get that as poignantly as when winter camping. The silence is pristine, especially when your in a real freezing period, it's like the entire world around you is paused, holding its breath. When it snows you can hear the snow falling in this pervasive soft static, the only sound, and its almost like being in an outdoor isolation chamber, when your vision is limited to a short distance in any direction, details beyond become formless, fluid things, and there's no sound in the stillness but the soft hissing of snowfall.

And when your tastes go the other way, you never appreciate a roaring fire and a bunch of booze as much as you do in the frozen outdoors. It goes from just a pleasant distraction to the best thing on earth. Great if you've got access to a simple cabin or something too, where you can close it up and turn the room into a sauna, then jump outside into the snow every once in a while.

It's great too if you can camp somewhere with a lot of natural water features, as when waterfalls freeze, or partially freeze, you get all these awesome ice 'sculptures' you can come across.

Ace of Baes
I used to fly fish and tie my own flys and hunt deer, now I sit at home and get thrown up on and watch netflix.

----------------

Theglavwen

Why not go fly fishing or deer hunting whilst being thrown up on?

Ace of Baes

Theglavwen posted:

Why not go fly fishing or deer hunting whilst being thrown up on?

holding infants over rivers and shooting rifles next to them is frowned upon

----------------

Theglavwen

Nonsense, the earlier a baby comes to know the rapids, the earlier it can master their power!

Or, some kind of harness setup? Baby earplugs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther

Wow that's a great sky picture. How did you get it? Whenever I try to photograph stars the photos come out terrible.

• Locked thread