Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FilthIncarnate

Weird owl has life all figured out

alnilam posted:

there would never be a reason to kill a diamondback

well i guess if it was inhabiting your outhouse or something and you had no other way to move it

still even then i'd try to capture it live using a bucket on a stick or something, and let it go out in the wild; snakes are chill and don't want to hurt humans

i heard once that most serious snake bites result from idiots daring each other to pick up the snake

I once saw a rattlesnake swim across the Sacramento river.

Well, that's my story. I hope you enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SulfurMonoxideCute

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

Garter snakes are super cute but they might poo poo all over you if you catch them. We have rattlesnakes here too and I've seen a few. Never close enough to get bitten. Only ever saw one bull snake but it was huge. It was too fast for us to catch.

Oh yeah, one time I was camping and someone's pet king snake escaped their RV and was found in a tree near my tent. That was the only time I had ever heard of someone taking their pet snake camping before.

Yo, imma blob

have you any wool

FilthIncarnate posted:

I once saw a rattlesnake swim across the Sacramento river.

Well, that's my story. I hope you enjoyed it.

you gotta do what you gotta do (to get away from sacto)

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

I actually have two rattlesnake stories, but only one outdoorsy one, and I forgot to get the pictures off his phone again because I suck.

We went hiking in the Sandia Foothills, up behind the Tram, one night around sunset. It was mega pretty, but because it's rained so much, and I use honey shampoo, we got swarmed by fruit flies :argh: so I was kind of grumpy and swatting around me and not really able to watch where I was going as well as I should. Husband was walking behind me being considerably more chill.

I came up into a gap between a boulder and a big cactus, and saw a flash of movement on the ground under where I was about to step, and there was a baby Western Diamondback, probably 5" long or so, on the path. Husband bumped into me and I told him to look, but the snake zoomed off under a bush next to the rock before he could see around me.

We turned around and headed back to the car after that.

And the other snake story is sorta boring, I found a slightly older Diamondback in my mom's back yard when I was in college, I poked it with a pool skimmer until it jumped into the net, then I ran around the side of the house and threw it across the road. In my defense, I had to go take a final, and the very reckless dog had to be in the yard while I was gone.

alnilam

Woah can't believe you picked it up

My rattler story is i was hiking on hawk mountain about 2 miles of boulder hopping from just about any other human, we're taking a break sitting on some big rocks enjoying the view, and my friend dropped his sunglasses into the crack between two boulders, so he tried to reach down to grab them, meanwhile I'm sitting on a lower rock and i can see the sunglasses are sitting right on top of a rattlesnake :eek: so his hand is now about halfway down there to grope around for them and I'm like STOP PULL BACK and he did so he didn't get bit but :rip: his sunglasses i hope the snake is wearing them and looking real cool

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

alnilam posted:

Woah can't believe you picked it up

My rattler story is i was hiking on hawk mountain about 2 miles of boulder hopping from just about any other human, we're taking a break sitting on some big rocks enjoying the view, and my friend dropped his sunglasses into the crack between two boulders, so he tried to reach down to grab them, meanwhile I'm sitting on a lower rock and i can see the sunglasses are sitting right on top of a rattlesnake :eek: so his hand is now about halfway down there to grope around for them and I'm like STOP PULL BACK and he did so he didn't get bit but :rip: his sunglasses i hope the snake is wearing them and looking real cool

coolest snake on the mountain, glad your friend didn't get bitten! that was a good catch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
snakes and toads are good for gardens, a few years ago I had a nice big toad that lived amongst my peppers and beans and would sing to me when I worked near him

• Locked thread