Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
Hoyer could've run those 2 yards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Romeo Crennel's probably getting fired and I can't blame them.

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Rooting for a bad football team kinda owns. You just emotionally check out early in the year and set your expectations low. On the flip side if your team is doing well and fails in a soul crushing way(Packers last year) you want to die.

My expectations are officially 3-13 now.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
What this game showed me was Bill O'Brian handling of the QB situation will be required reading for new head coaches for how to make the worst decisions. They went through all that poo poo to name Hoyer starting QB then bench him after 3 quarters and put in Mallett who was abysmal. The problem is O'Brian didn't want to look like he made the wrong decision (which he did) so he doubled down on Mallett who was completely incompetent. Neither of them are good but Hoyer has definitely outperformed Mallett and would have given them the best chance to win.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Laughing at the nonbelievers

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Rooting for a bad football team kinda owns. You just emotionally check out early in the year and set your expectations low. On the flip side if your team is doing well and fails in a soul crushing way(Packers last year) you want to die.

Yeah no

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Honestly, Hoyer looked solid almost the entire game. That last pass was a bad choice and he threw it poorly to boot. Why the gently caress would he just lob it up like that? Was he just hoping for the best?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

Honestly, Hoyer looked solid almost the entire game. That last pass was a bad choice and he threw it poorly to boot. Why the gently caress would he just lob it up like that? Was he just hoping for the best?

Colts playing the long con by giving up the hail mary at the half.

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

He was getting absolutely pasted by Erik Walden at the time, in his defense.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

ShakeZula posted:

Yeah he was about half a second from getting flattened when he let it go

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I think he got hit as he threw. Colts had v. good coverage so he should have thrown it away. Pass later over the middle of the field = bad idea

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

Kalli posted:

Romeo Crennel's probably getting fired and I can't blame them.

I don't really know if it's his fault Kareem Jackson can't cover anyone

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Ummm the Texans GM needs to get poo poo canned first in my opinion.

What is this now year 3 of trotting the team out with no real QB to start the season?!?

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I'm so glad we moved Mewhort back to guard and put Reitz at right tackle. Maybe now the line can give Luck a little time to throw the ball. That said, I feel like I still want a few more Gore carries. I feel like he should get about 5 more touches per game.

Seriously, how can this defense be so bad at rushing the passer? The team has gotten better against the run, but with no pass rush, the secondary is playing softer, so there are plenty of guys getting open. Tonight is like we just decided that we absolutely were not going to cover a RB out of the backfield.

I think Greg Toler could be a mole/double agent.

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

I'm a Vikings fan dude. It's worked for me.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

ShakeZula posted:

and (god help me) phil simms was right, there was no one even remotely open. throwing the ball away-or at least into the dirt-was definitely the right choice, but i'm not sure mallett would do anything less dumb in that situation.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Nodoze posted:

I don't really know if it's his fault Kareem Jackson can't cover anyone

It is kinda his fault that they can't get any pressure or contest a 40 year old QB's passes with a dline with Watt and Clowney on it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

I'm a Vikings fan dude. It's worked for me.

Probably gonna get more criticism because you have a QB

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

A Man and his dog posted:

What is this now year 3 of trotting the team out with no real QB to start the season?!?

Hell they could draft a great QB and their coach would be too goddamned stupid to play him.

BrownThunder
Oct 26, 2005

EXTEND BEN!
Forever and ever and ever

Intruder how is the thread title not "WHY DID YOU THROW THAT??!???"

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

pasaluki posted:

Hell they could draft a great QB and their coach would be too goddamned stupid to play him.

Or they could draft Hackenberg and he'll play him just because.

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Y Kant Ozma Diet posted:

No, gently caress you, I will take 1000 seasons ending like 1998 or 2009 did for the Vikings over the subsequent poo poo seasons. It isn't fun to watch a poo poo team play like poo poo on a weekly basis. It's not easier to hear people talk about how lovely your poo poo team is just because you know they are poo poo. It's a lovely feeling to know its going to be at least another year before the team is maybe possibly kind of better but probably not because god is dead and he has voided his bowels on your poo poo team.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

No Safe Word posted:

contract the entire AFC South

Yeah. I'm willing to make the necessary sacrifices, for the sake of the public.

Packers fandom, here I come.

Oh, and regarding rooting for bad teams versus heartbreak, as a Kansas athletics fan, I can tell you, I've experienced both, and yeah, heartbreak is preferable.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Probably Magic posted:

Yeah. I'm willing to make the necessary sacrifices, for the sake of the public.

Packers fandom, here I come.

Sir you have to go to the pick a team thread so goons can decide what is the best team for you

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Mallet said he got the wind knocked out of him but that he could have gone back in. BOB said it was ankle injury but that he could have gone back in.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I want to care, butt I dont

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.

Chris James 2 posted:

Mallet said he got the wind knocked out of him but that he could have gone back in. BOB said it was ankle injury but that he could have gone back in.

He took a helmet to the ribs, probably heavily bruised or broke one by how hard he got hit, but every QB in that situation is going to try to get back in because they'd be terrified of losing their starting job. lol at BOB's ankle injury claim.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Metapod posted:

Sir you have to go to the pick a team thread so goons can decide what is the best team for you

Submitted.

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

A Man and his dog posted:

What has Rick Smith done to get fired? The diarrhea on the field hasn't cost Bob McNair a dime, and it won't as long as idiot Houstonians lap up that diarrhea like junkies with crack cocaine. What, you think McNair spent 400 million bucks on an expansion license to blow hundreds more creating a team to win some dumb sports league?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I can't say my expectations were really any higher than the results have been.

Can't wait for the return match in Indy when Luck decides to put up 8 TDs for the hell of it.

Whatever they decide to do with the coaching staff, I hope Rick Smith gets the axe first because this QB situation is squarely on him and has been for years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

You forgot Vinatieri.

I'm glad Johnson had a good game against his old team.

Eltoasto
Aug 26, 2002

We come spinning out of nothingness, scattering stars like dust.

EvilBeard posted:

I'm so glad we moved Mewhort back to guard and put Reitz at right tackle. Maybe now the line can give Luck a little time to throw the ball. That said, I feel like I still want a few more Gore carries. I feel like he should get about 5 more touches per game.

Seriously, how can this defense be so bad at rushing the passer? The team has gotten better against the run, but with no pass rush, the secondary is playing softer, so there are plenty of guys getting open. Tonight is like we just decided that we absolutely were not going to cover a RB out of the backfield.

I think Greg Toler could be a mole/double agent.

I don't think Toler or Davis were out there at anything more than 80% health though, Davis definitely did not seem himself.

The Colts have 2 huge flaws in the OL and pass rush, and the OL looks like it has found it's groove. Reitz isn't great but he's an athletic RT and they know that he can protect the outside rush with a little help inside. The run defense is amazing compared to last year, with Parry and Anderson able to disrupt lanes unlike any DL the Colts have had recently. Irving got to play some tonight and his rep as a run stuffer is well deserved.

The problem is pass rush, and there really isn't a solution there outside of playing Newsome more and hoping he develops. The coaches seem to have no desire to put him out there so we are left with Walden rushing the passer and Mathis double teamed. It can work against the Texans and Jags, but Brady and other QB's on that level will destroy it.

misdirectomy
Feb 19, 2008
Let’s be honest with each other. Houston has no respect in the league, just so you guys are all aware of that. The organization is 97-130. Thirty three games below .500. Turn your TV on; nobody talks about the Houston Texans because no one thinks they’re gonna win.

mythadile
Jun 19, 2005

BrownThunder posted:

Intruder how is the thread title not "WHY DID YOU THROW THAT??!???"

Only if it loops with a WHY DID YOU DO THAT gif after that taunting call.

A Man and his dog
Oct 24, 2013

by R. Guyovich
The Texans blew that game more when they didn't go for it before the 2 minute warning. They should have just ran it up the gut and took the free timeout.

Dey Yah
Dec 18, 2010
The Texans should get Tim Tebow.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

"First Man" Adam Vinatieri gets no respect.

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

misdirectomy posted:

Let’s be honest with each other. Houston has no respect in the league, just so you guys are all aware of that. The organization is 97-130. Thirty three games below .500. Turn your TV on; nobody talks about the Houston Texans because no one thinks they’re gonna win.

And they're not even the worst NFL team by winning percentage!

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Ross Angeles posted:

And they're not even the worst NFL team by winning percentage!

Yeah but the Bucs have a ring

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GaussianCopula
Jun 5, 2011
Jews fleeing the Holocaust are not in any way comparable to North Africans, who don't flee genocide but want to enjoy the social welfare systems of Northern Europe.
People are saying McDaniels could get another HC gig after this season. If that is the case I would be very happy to welcome BoB back in New England.

• Locked thread