Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
Per AV Club the book is The Five Little Peppers And How They Grew by Margaret Sidney

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011
Sherlock Holmes famously ejaculated all the time.

Aside from that, how godawful was the editing in this episode?

¤ The completely pointless fade-to-black-and-then-back when Fredo was waiting for the judge outside the courthouse. This is usually done when something bad is just about to happen, not when someone is about to drive slowly for a few hours.

¤ The insignificant flapping kitchen door during the diner murders.

¤ The meaningless split screen. Usually, split screens are employed when you want to show several simultaneous actions in different locations that are somehow linked, for instance in a heist movie (protagonist X is taking out the guards while Y is scaling the wall and Z is hacking the mainframe). Fargo showed the same actors on both screens, with the two different viewpoints just feet away from each other.

¤ The completely unnecessary "oh I remember the times we used to have a few minutes ago" montage when Fat Damon and Kirsten Dunst was dealing with Fredo's body. It was literally minutes ago, we don't need a callback to that.

It's like this was a Cool Abed Production.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Kampfbereit posted:

¤ The completely unnecessary "oh I remember the times we used to have a few minutes ago" montage when Fat Damon and Kirsten Dunst was dealing with Fredo's body. It was literally minutes ago, we don't need a callback to that.

I loved the ep but this got to me too. It wasn't just the bit you mentioned, there were several flashback shots to things that only just happened and it felt like the showrunners thought I had the memory of a goldfish.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
I read it as a complete redundancy - like we were seeing from his view where you repeat the situation over, almost like you can't believe it.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Kampfbereit posted:

¤ The insignificant flapping kitchen door during the diner murders.

The (botched) murder went down in a very short span of time and quickly went out of control.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Biggest thing that irked me was the split screen. I just wasn't feeling it. At least so far. They've built up a lot of goodwill over the last 11 episodes so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013

Kampfbereit posted:

¤ The meaningless split screen. Usually, split screens are employed when you want to show several simultaneous actions in different locations that are somehow linked, for instance in a heist movie (protagonist X is taking out the guards while Y is scaling the wall and Z is hacking the mainframe). Fargo showed the same actors on both screens, with the two different viewpoints just feet away from each other.

I think AV Club had a good read on it. The split screen is being used to show characters thought process. McCulkin's weasel was largely occupied with his family, Dunst was thinking about herself and what she was going to do, but Solverson was primarily thinking in the present. Solverson's split screen was used to demonstrate his focus when investigating.

At the very least it had a very seventies feel to it.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"
Is Dunst in the first season a lot?

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Washout posted:

Is Dunst in the first season a lot?

No actor in this season was in the first season. The first season takes place a few decades later.

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow
As a Corvair owner, I'm already loving this season.

I also love the liberal use of Mannix-esque dynamic split screens.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H7TdnvEpgl0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuldM3o47Tg

Kampfbereit posted:

The Dynamic Split screen is totally a stylistic throwback reference to Mannix, A great show which has seen somewhat of a critical re-evaluation in the past few years. It was also one of the most violent network TV shows of the era. People campaigned to have it banned.
http://www.avclub.com/article/long-running-private-eye-series-mannix-was-brutal--204978

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 10:09 on Oct 17, 2015

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

LostRook posted:

I think AV Club had a good read on it. The split screen is being used to show characters thought process. McCulkin's weasel was largely occupied with his family, Dunst was thinking about herself and what she was going to do, but Solverson was primarily thinking in the present. Solverson's split screen was used to demonstrate his focus when investigating.

At the very least it had a very seventies feel to it.

Yes, but this would all have been better without the split screen. McCulkin's split screen was more or less OK I guess. Dunst's was plain terrible, as both screens showed her doing the same thing, but a few seconds apart. Solverson's was equally bad, as both screens were in the same time and almost the same space. He literally walks from one screen to the other. There is exactly zero need for the split screen in any of these cases.

It has a bit of a seventies feel to it, I agree (more on this down below). But the editing doesn't have to be seventies just because the show is set in the seventies. Imagine how annoying it would be if every show had to use the styles or techniques of the era they portray? The Knick would be unwatchable.

drunkill posted:

The (botched) murder went down in a very short span of time and quickly went out of control.
Sure, I get that. But if that was the intent, wouldn't it have been a lot easier to not do the scene in slow motion, and not add the cuts to the flapping door? Why make the scene longer if you want to show how quickly it went down? OK, this is a nitpicky point, and I probably wouldn't have noticed it as much if it wasn't for the other jarring editing flourishes.

MullardEL34 posted:

The Dynamic Split screen is totally a stylistic throwback reference to Mannix, which has seen somewhat of a critical re-evaluation in the past few years. It was also one of the most violent network TV shows of the era. People campaigned to have it banned.
http://www.avclub.com/article/long-running-private-eye-series-mannix-was-brutal--204978

I'm a huge fan of Mannix! It was a tremendous show in every way. Also yay Corvair!

But my point is that the split screens in Fargo was in no way dynamic (Dynamic SS is more of a computer game term, when the screen has to split due to two human players being too far apart to fit on one screen), and in every way completely unnecessary.

The Mannix title sequence uses SS to show a lot of action at the same time, in an almost overwhelming way. The screens slide around the TV screen, and turn on an off, so the viewer can almost not keep up with all that's going on. Mannix is running, climbing a ladder, driving a fast car, fondling a leggy dame, getting punched in the face, wow, this look like an exciting show, I have to stay tuned!

There weren't (as far as I can remember) any split screens in the actual episodes, showing Mannix from two angles just walking around his office.

In the late sixties and early seventies, split screens were often used to show for example both parties of a phone conversation, because there was a need to show the two faces at the same time, and fast cuts would be less effective. It was way more common in movies, as the aspect ratio of all those glorious new formats allowed for this. Splitting a 4:3 TV screen just wasn't as practical.

But every time someone used a split screen back then, it was because there was a need for it and/or it meant something. It wasn't because "hey this looks cool and old-timey", like sepia-tinted instagram photos or a Tarantino grindhouse movie.

(I still like Fargo and will keep watching, hoping for better editing)

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dunst's wasn't bad at all, her split screen was important because it blatantly contradicted what she was saying.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

Kampfbereit posted:

Imagine how annoying it would be if every show had to use the styles or techniques of the era they portray? The Knick would be unwatchable.
The Knick would be even more loving amazing than it already is if Soderbergh tried to do a serious medical drama through a series of Georges Méliès shorts.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Oct 17, 2015

Kampfbereit
Sep 6, 2011

MrAristocrates posted:

Dunst's wasn't bad at all, her split screen was important because it blatantly contradicted what she was saying.

Maybe we are talking about different things here? I'm not saying that they shouldn't have shown her previous actions contradicting her statements. That was absolutely necessary, and juxtaposing the voice over with footage showing what actually happened is a common technique. I'm saying that there was absolutely no need to do that in a split screen.

Come to think of it, it would have been brilliant if one half of the screen showed her story as she told it, and the other showed what really happened. Then there would have been a need for the split. As it stands, it is just a completely unneeded flourish that shows the ineptitude and idiocy of whoever put it there. Like the accent in "Raven-Symoné".

The crime family split screen montage was slightly better, as it at least showed different characters at (presumably) the same time. Though it could just as easily have been edited as one sequence rather than two simultaneous sequences.

Illinois Smith posted:

The Knick would be even more loving amazing than it already is if Soderbergh tried to do a serious medical drama through a series of Georges Méliès shorts.
Ok, god drat you. Yes, that would be amazing. But ten hour-long silent episodes of men with inked lips overacting in front of a static camera would maybe be a bit too much?

Old James
Nov 20, 2003

Wait a sec. I don't know an Old James!

Frackie Robinson posted:

The non-seqitur UFO appearance, while I'm sure it plays a role in the story down the road, is also a reference to The Man Who Wasn't There

I was doing work while this played on another monitor. You sure it wasn't the northern lights?

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really wasn't sold on the trailer, but that was a great opener. The split screen made me feel like I was watching a David Cage game at times though. We'll see how that goes.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

I didn't have any strong feelings about the split screen segments.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Kampfbereit posted:

I'm saying that there was absolutely no need to do that in a split screen.

Sure there was, split screen is cool

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moon Slayer posted:

I didn't have any strong feelings about the split screen segments.

I'm extremely puzzled that people are even bringing it up.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

precision posted:

I'm extremely puzzled that people are even bringing it up.

Because it was quite a prominent stylistic choice, was used frequently and was a departure from what people who like series 1 are used to?

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
That shot from inside the cooler -- as if we were seeing things from the perspective of Rye's body -- was different and made me feel very unsafe. I guess I'll keep watching, though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

oh my god

no but really, i feel like it was a different technique they were going for with much of the split screen stuff. i'm not a film nerdo so i won't claim it was like kubrick/hitchcock level masterwork but i also didn't think it was bad. i haven't gone and re-watched the episode but for at least one of the little artsy cutscenes i had a bit of an Aronofsky montage vibe goin' v:v:v

zandert33
Sep 20, 2002

Old James posted:

I was doing work while this played on another monitor. You sure it wasn't the northern lights?

Not for nothing, but if you weren't paying attention to the scene why even comment on it? It clearly was not the Northern Lights.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
I would swear before a grand jury that season 1 was available on Netflix up til very recently. but now I don't see it. Am I going crazy? Is it available on anything?

LostRook
Jun 7, 2013
I don't know about previously, but it says Hulu exclusive now.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax
And Hulu sucks.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

It's on Netflix UK still. Use a plugin?

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
How are people not getting that dunst's split screens show a)what she said and b)what she was actually doing? It was super significant and super obvious?

Jack Skeleton
Dec 7, 2006
Dunst hate flows strong. I thought her character worked great and the split screen did exactly what it needed to do.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jack Skeleton posted:

Dunst hate flows strong. I thought her character worked great and the split screen did exactly what it needed to do.

Oh her character was brilliant and her performance was absolutely bang on. A lot of people seem to dislike her in general which I don't really get.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

pile of brown posted:

How are people not getting that dunst's split screens show a)what she said and b)what she was actually doing? It was super significant and super obvious?
It could only be more obvious if the words "SHE IS LYING AND NOT A GOOD PERSON BUT A SELF CENTERED MONSTER WHO DON'T MIND KILLING IF SHE CAN NOT GET CAUGHT, SHE DON'T LOVE FAT DAMON, SHE IS JUST USING HIM" was on screen when the split screens thing happens.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Glad to see she's immediately become the Skyler White of the show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
No strong feelings on split screens, at least not yet, but I am totally down with Dunst's character going down Lester's character route without killing her spouse, but instead manipulating him constantly to fulfill her selfish whims.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mameluke posted:

Not until we start seeing numerous posts about how much people hate Paggy Blumquist.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Oh her character was brilliant and her performance was absolutely bang on. A lot of people seem to dislike her in general which I don't really get.

I like her in general, inasmuch as I've liked a ton of roles she's had in the past, I just thought she was fairly weak acting-wise here.

But it's only been one episode, I mean, I would have never believed you if you told me where Martin Freeman would end up at after seeing the pilot of last season.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
Dunst is great, if you've got 3 hours to kill I'd suggest checking out her performance in Melancholia if you really wanna see her knock it out of the park.

That being said, her 5 minutes of screen time in episode one wasn't anything to write home about but she hasn't really had enough time to really get into the meat of her character.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Steve2911 posted:

A lot of people seem to dislike her in general which I don't really get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d2xLdVt00V4

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Mameluke posted:

I actually sorta liked Skyler (including her lovely affair) and didn't read most of BB threads because of the constant bitching about Skyler so yeah i understand you pain but i fear Dunst's character isn't going to be the most sympathetic person on the show and people are going to hate her for putting fat matt damon into terrible troubles.

speshl guy posted:

Dunst is great, if you've got 3 hours to kill I'd suggest checking out her performance in Melancholia if you really wanna see her knock it out of the park.

That being said, her 5 minutes of screen time in episode one wasn't anything to write home about but she hasn't really had enough time to really get into the meat of her character.
She is a “a small town beautician with big city dreams who is trying to figure out who she really is and what she really wants as she struggles with traditional societal expectations." I somehow hope her character arc is joining the local Fargo mafia as a hit woman.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 18, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Toplowtech posted:

I actually sorta liked Skyler (including her lovely affair) and didn't read most of BB threads because of the constant bitching about Skyler so yeah i understand you pain but i fear Dunst's character isn't going to be the most sympathetic person on the show and people are going to hate her for putting fat matt damon into terrible troubles.
It's scary how many people don't understand that a character who is a bad person can be a good character. Even a likeable one sometimes.

e: Actually everyone understands it but only when the character has a dick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sout
Apr 24, 2014

Steve2911 posted:

It's scary how many people don't understand that a character who is a bad person can be a good character. Even a likeable one sometimes.

e: Actually everyone understands it but only when the character has a dick.

Yeah, that annoys me. Skyler gets way too much of a bad rap.

Also I thought Dunst was good in this episode :shrug:
I'm very optimistic for this season

• Locked thread