Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Lutha Mahtin posted:

You are a moron who has never looked at loving map of the Upper Midwest, much less lived here. You are also an rear end in a top hat. Here, I made a guide that's hopefully not too hard for you to wrap your head around:

(all towns with major plot relevance in the franchise (so far))

First, let us show why you are a moron.

The Gerhardt crime family lives outside of Fargo. It is the largest town for hundreds of miles in every direction, is not "tiny", and is a major highway nexus. Hmm, wonder if that's why the writers chose to base a crime family there. Nah, that wouldn't make any sense.

The Waffle Hut murders happened outside of Luverne. Fuckin' Luverne! So yes, your stellar analysis about how the local small-town cops should be taking down a crime operation hundreds of miles to the north (in a different loving state, even) is spot on.

The crime syndicate is from Kansas City. Note the major highways connecting KC with the other towns. Hmm, maybe that is relevant to the plot? Nah, couldn't be. It wouldn't make sense for a mob to expand from one hub city to another, especially a strategically placed city like Fargo, that would offer more access to Canada and points west.

Second, why you are an rear end in a top hat.

I grew up in rural Minnesota and there was definitely crime. Drug manufacture and trafficking, embezzling, arson, murder, hate crimes, you name it. Just because the media focuses on urban crime doesn't mean it doesn't exist elsewhere. Most importantly for me though, a dear relative of mine was unable to escape the availability of drugs even in your mythical "nowheresville", and this was one factor that contributed to his suicide. :frogout:

Hey, polemics aside, thanks for this post. I'd imagined that the world of the show took place in a much smaller bubble and seeing it all labelled neatly on a map really helps me contextualize what's going on. I mean, I knew Kansas City and Fargo were in no way close to one another, but I'd sort of just pictured every other town in the show as floating around in a vague geographic lump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

Last Buffalo posted:

but this season is setting up that there's a crime family in a tiny town that also has a police department that's dimly aware of it,
A lot of tiny lovely towns have people who are into gambling, prostitutes and alcohol (especially when it's prohibited) ; organized crime can prosper everywhere someone need a loan or like illegal vices, they don't really care if you live in nowheretown USA, you pay, they provide. Hell, that's probably how the Civella crime family made a fortune in Kansas city. Protection Racket is also a great cash flow and local cops are badly equipped to fight against omerta.

Toplowtech fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Oct 21, 2015

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Archyduke posted:

Hey, polemics aside, thanks for this post. I'd imagined that the world of the show took place in a much smaller bubble and seeing it all labelled neatly on a map really helps me contextualize what's going on. I mean, I knew Kansas City and Fargo were in no way close to one another, but I'd sort of just pictured every other town in the show as floating around in a vague geographic lump.

i was being over the top but im glad you like the map! a lot of the storylines in this series involve driving many hours during the winter on slippery rural roads. the scene where malvo hits the deer is pretty accurate

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

also the midwest has a MASSIVE meth problem and always did

and once you get drugs into a situation every other vice springs up around it, and once you have all the vices you get organized crime

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Based on the selection from war of the Worlds I'm guessing the aliens, whether or not they actually figure into the plot, are meant to be a parallel to the Reganites and corporate types represented by Brad Garrett.

It's going to be like They Live and Reagan is one of them, going for the takeover.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

People in this show have accents? They sound perfectly normal to me, don'cha know!

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

This show is both cool and good.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Toplowtech posted:

A lot of tiny lovely towns have people who are into gambling, prostitutes and alcohol (especially when it's prohibited) ; organized crime can prosper everywhere someone need a loan or like illegal vices, they don't really care if you live in nowheretown USA, you pay, they provide. Hell, that's probably how the Civella crime family made a fortune in Kansas city. Protection Racket is also a great cash flow and local cops are badly equipped to fight against omerta.

Regarding the geography and crime family stuff in Fargo, I've always seen a lot of Wild West motifs in the Fargo shows mixed in with small-town Minnesota culture. The towns where the movie and shows are set are in western MN which is really rural and sparsely populated compared to the rest of the state. It is literally nothing but endless flat cornfields pockmarcked by tiny towns one day's horse ride apart (that is a historical Thing). I think it's a very fitting location as it's sort of the frontier or Wild West of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest cultural region.

Those and other north-south highways in the Plains and Upper Midwest Lutha Mahtin pointed out are major trafficking routes for drugs, people, etc. They run all the way from Canada to Mexico not much intersecting with major interstate highways and run through rural areas.

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Oct 22, 2015

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Have you guys never watched twin peaks, small towns can have crime.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope
I think it's supposed to be just a little bit surreal. Real crime syndicates give presentations or have research departments either.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol at fat damon taking up 2/3 of the screen when they had the split screen

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Toplowtech posted:

Huh, "omertà" is one of those words I've heard before but never bothered to look up. In a way, I've always hated it as a plot device. It's a reason to make a criminal character well-spoken, smug as poo poo, and able to allude to crimes to authority figures in the manner of speech of "high school writer's Tarantino" that people have pointed out that Mike Milligan talks in. It's just eye-rolling, and I couldn't wait for that scene to be over.

Other than Mike Milligan's character, amazing show. But that scene of him taunting the cop took me right out of it for a few minutes.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

BJPaskoff posted:

Huh, "omertà" is one of those words I've heard before but never bothered to look up. In a way, I've always hated it as a plot device.

It's not a plot device when it's a real actual thing and literally the backbone of organized crime

At this point you're complaining about reality

frenton
Aug 15, 2005

devil soup
When I was watching the scene with Mike at the type writer store I honestly thought to myself "Wow, Hollywood makeup is incredible. I hardly recognized Dave Chappelle."

It's not Dave Chappelle.

Toplowtech
Aug 31, 2004

BJPaskoff posted:

Huh, "omertà" is one of those words I've heard before but never bothered to look up. In a way, I've always hated it as a plot device.
Yet there is a reason it's federal RICO cases that got so many of the crimes family leader arrested and not local investigations. But i get your point especially with the POWERPOINT MAFIA scene.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006

Kurtofan posted:

Like the show so far, but I really dislike misunderstanding in fiction, like it makes me really uncomfortable that the couple don't realize they killed a killer and I wish they would just call the sheriff and he'd tell them "it's ok you accidently killed a murderer go back to your normal lives."

I don't think Dunst told him where she hit the guy so Fat Damon would have no reason to make that leap. I mean it's not obvious that those events are connected if you don't have any information that connects tham apart for the date. For Dunst herself, she pretty much goes on with her life as if nothing happened and doesn't think or care about it. If you woke up in someones garage, embedded in their windshield, being a little prissy about it isn't really that unreasonable either so it's not like they can be surprised he didn't feel like having a calm conversation with them about it.

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

frenton posted:

When I was watching the scene with Mike at the type writer store I honestly thought to myself "Wow, Hollywood makeup is incredible. I hardly recognized Dave Chappelle."

It's not Dave Chappelle.

He stole Obama's white newscaster voice who stole it in turn from Chappelle.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Toplowtech posted:

But i get your point especially with the POWERPOINT MAFIA scene.

Are people really that hung up on this? C'mon, it's funny.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

You'd figure El Chapo sat through a couple of boring as gently caress powerpoint presentations when he met with the folks from HSBC.

It's funny because it's true.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib
Not that it is the best indicator ever, but season 2 has 100% on RT out of 58 reviews, season 1 has 98% with 54 reviews.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here's a working link to the 1970s War of the Worlds. :iia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTEUM4OF7Q

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

drunkill posted:

Not that it is the best indicator ever, but season 2 has 100% on RT out of 58 reviews, season 1 has 98% with 54 reviews.

considering the contents of episode 2, this is the grossest promo ever. seriously :barf:

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Someone is going to eat the dead dude, aren't they?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Pellisworth posted:

Regarding the geography and crime family stuff in Fargo, I've always seen a lot of Wild West motifs in the Fargo shows mixed in with small-town Minnesota culture. The towns where the movie and shows are set are in western MN which is really rural and sparsely populated compared to the rest of the state. It is literally nothing but endless flat cornfields pockmarcked by tiny towns one day's horse ride apart (that is a historical Thing). I think it's a very fitting location as it's sort of the frontier or Wild West of Minnesota and the Upper Midwest cultural region.

yeah it's kind of a subtle thing that i think not even everybody who lives around here understands, but western MN is really the gateway to the (lawless, morally ambiguous) West in the form of the Plains states. i have a lot of relatives in that area so c'mon, don't try and crucify me based on that last statement, but there is certainly a shift in perspective as you go from region to region across the country.

p.s. hi sammus

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Sammus posted:

I guess that's an effective way of getting rid of a body. Sell it to customers.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesse Plemons gaining that much weight freaks me out as much as Bale losing weight did. It takes some kind of nerve to let yourself be filmed in that state. Unless it was SFX, I guess. I couldn't tell, I was trying not to look directly at it. I didn't want to go blind.

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Lycus posted:

I guess that's an effective way of getting rid of a body. Sell it to customers.

Yeah though I was wondering why he didn't remove the bones. It certainly looked like he was grinding whole body parts. Unless I've been eating bones with my ground meat all this time. :stare:

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Sammus posted:

And I bet the word about the special meat will go around fast. And then Fat Damon will have to kill his wife to feed his customers. Or not.

Paladinus fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Oct 25, 2015

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Paladinus posted:

And I bet the about word the special meat will go around fast. And then Fat Damon will have to kill his wife to feed his customers. Or not.

Not so much as plot twist as a plot pivot.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I really, really want them to be dumb enough to sell the meat to people. Clearly the solution is to spread out tiny baggies of human meat all throughout the woods and let nature take its course.

As soon as Fat Damon was on board with covering everything up I knew we were going to see some gruesome butchery, and as usual Fargo did not disappoint. They managed to make that basically just as disgusting as the botched body dissolving early on in Breaking Bad, which is no small feat.

I'm also relieved that Molly's dad is going to live through whatever insanity is coming up, even if it does clearly scar him for life. His buying a restaurant after investigating these murders at a Waffle House is pretty interesting too...

Edit:

Moltke posted:

Yes! Let's talk about Breaking Bad in every thread!

Ha, I swear I didn't read that when I wrote my post. I hope this is a good Breaking Bad mention, and not a bad Breaking Bad mention!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 25, 2015

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Yeesh I hope he doesn't intentionally sell the meat. I can see some accidentally getting eaten though.

I'm sure he could just feed it to dogs or something. There's got to be a million ways for a butcher to get rid of suspicious meat.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!
I just realized who Mike Milligan reminds me of: Jordan Peele, of Key and Peele (who you may remember from Season One of Fargo) doing his impression of Neil Degrasse Tyson. "Well, actually, I'm just glad that in this crazy world of ours two men can meet on a road in the middle of nowhere and just talk." Something about it is just very Peele-ish overall too, the closest I can get to putting my finger on it is to compare it to the Tyson impression.

I'd link a video but I couldn't find it on youtube (it was on there awhile ago but got taken down). You might be able to find it on Comedy Central or something.

Edit:

Steve2911 posted:

Yeesh I hope he doesn't intentionally sell the meat. I can see some accidentally getting eaten though.

I'm sure he could just feed it to dogs or something. There's got to be a million ways for a butcher to get rid of suspicious meat.

I mean, I can't imagine he thoroughly cleans that grinder after he's done with it, and even if he does there has to be some human meat particulates in the mix for quite awhile.

Thanks for reminding me that we literally saw a dog eat parts of a human in this episode. Foreshadowing!

But yeah, if he has the cast-iron stomach for it there's tons of places he could unload the meat, that takes some real brass balls though. What I'm saying is he needs to be made of metal to do it. Remember, his boss told him in the first episode that you should never waste good meat!

NowonSA fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Oct 25, 2015

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine

precision posted:

Jesse Plemons gaining that much weight freaks me out as much as Bale losing weight did. It takes some kind of nerve to let yourself be filmed in that state. Unless it was SFX, I guess. I couldn't tell, I was trying not to look directly at it. I didn't want to go blind.

He looks exactly like a Minnesotan who works at a butcher shop should look, too. It's great.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

frenton posted:

It's not Dave Chappelle.

If it makes you feel any better, a group of us get together to watch it on the weekends, and one of them thought it was Chappelle too. He also thought Rye was Macaulay Culkin. So close!

centaurtainment
Jun 16, 2015

Paladinus posted:

And I bet the word about the special meat will go around fast. And then Fat Damon will have to kill his wife to feed his customers. Or not.

Mister Damon's meat pies,
Savory and sweet pies,
God that's good!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Paladinus posted:

And I bet the word about the special meat will go around fast.

He moves to the Pennines and changes his name to Hilary Briss :ohdear:

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Jerusalem posted:

Hey, there's no evidence whatsoever to indicate that his meat was man meat. :colbert:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Steve2911 posted:

Hey, there's no evidence whatsoever to indicate that his meat was man meat. :colbert:

I did love they never attempted to explain even vaguely what was in it, outside of the utter horror (but inability to resist) of those who knew what it was.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

Googling this got me my first LOL of the day:

quote:

Before he could be caught, Briss escaped to a tropical island (where he continued selling his "special stuff") leaving behind his wife, who it turns out is a brown cow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.
I wonder if Dunst's hit and run was inspired by an actual event in Texas back in 2001. It's one of those stories that stays with you years later because it was so cruel and unusual. Whoever called her a monster was right on the money.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gregory_Glen_Biggs

Sorry if his has been pointed out in the thread. I've only watched the first episode and read up until that part.

• Locked thread