Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't know if they can top season 1 but if they even come close it'll still be Show Of The Year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
That was entirely way too loving good. The only disappointment was Kirsten Dunst, I'm not sure what's happened to her since she used to be a pretty decent actress. Patrick Wilson killed it and that intro was incredible.

e: Ted Danson, oh my God

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
For some reason, at first I thought Kieran Culkin was Jake Gyllenhall.

The one thug enforcer guy looks an awful lot like Mr. Numbers' mute partner from season 1.

The homages to Coen movies were good but I hope it was a pilot episode thing and not a running theme, I don't remember season 1 laying it on so thick.

e: I am 100% certain Ron Swanson was intended to remind us of Walter

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Well that's what I'm saying, there's a big difference between names and even the suitcase and something as specific as the UFO scene.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Do all Coen Bros. films take place in the same universe?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Moon Slayer posted:

I didn't have any strong feelings about the split screen segments.

I'm extremely puzzled that people are even bringing it up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Steve2911 posted:

Oh her character was brilliant and her performance was absolutely bang on. A lot of people seem to dislike her in general which I don't really get.

I like her in general, inasmuch as I've liked a ton of roles she's had in the past, I just thought she was fairly weak acting-wise here.

But it's only been one episode, I mean, I would have never believed you if you told me where Martin Freeman would end up at after seeing the pilot of last season.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

ICHIBAHN posted:

Pretty sure misogyny has a lot to do with it but ok

"Hello, thread police? Yeah, we've got a Code Red."

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

LostRook posted:

Why would we talk about Fargo in the Fargo thread?

Because the show isn't set in Fargo. :newlol:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Here's a working link to the 1970s War of the Worlds. :iia:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eXTEUM4OF7Q

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Jesse Plemons gaining that much weight freaks me out as much as Bale losing weight did. It takes some kind of nerve to let yourself be filmed in that state. Unless it was SFX, I guess. I couldn't tell, I was trying not to look directly at it. I didn't want to go blind.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Jerusalem posted:

He moves to the Pennines and changes his name to Hilary Briss :ohdear:

Googling this got me my first LOL of the day:

quote:

Before he could be caught, Briss escaped to a tropical island (where he continued selling his "special stuff") leaving behind his wife, who it turns out is a brown cow.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

I wonder if Dunst's hit and run was inspired by an actual event in Texas back in 2001. It's one of those stories that stays with you years later because it was so cruel and unusual. Whoever called her a monster was right on the money.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Gregory_Glen_Biggs

Sorry if his has been pointed out in the thread. I've only watched the first episode and read up until that part.

The most shocking thing about this story is that the police solved the murder of a homeless man several months after the fact.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Dirty Beluga posted:

Anyone else catch that scene when they are on the bus and having a 'conversation' without talking? What was up with that?

The magic of television. Editing.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Kirsten Dunst has completely turned it around, not sure why she was so blah in episode 1 but right now I'm enjoying her performance more than Plemons and I kinda hope she ends up murdering him and becomes the focal point of the show or something.

Basically I hope she's this season's Lester Nygard. :getin:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I must be the only one who thought Bruce did look like Reagan, just... about 10-15 years too young looking (because of aliens).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Kirsten Dunst has completely turned it around, not sure why she was so blah in episode 1 but right now I'm enjoying her performance more than Plemons and I kinda hope she ends up murdering him and becomes the focal point of the show or something.

Basically I hope she's this season's Lester Nygard.

I think my wish is coming true. :)

e: I know it won't happen, but I just want a happy ending for Bear and his kid.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Guy A. Person posted:

Yea that's fair. We are obviously supposed to hate Dodd. Bear I feel like we were supposed to think of him as more reasonable at least until this episode.

I still like Bear, because he actually listened to Ron Swanson, Esquire talking sense.

Speaking of which, holy poo poo how good was Nick Offerman in this episode? The beard should have been a giveaway that he was a barrister but it still surprised me.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I think the only negative for the finale, and this applies to the season as a whole I guess, is that Patrick Wilson has impenetrable plot armor.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

commieB posted:

In the finale patrick wilson gets vaporized and replaced with an alien replicon from beyond the moon

E: spoiler tags

I'll take it.

Toplowtech posted:

OR he dies in this season final and season 3 is a parallel universe of season 1.

Or this.

For a moment I actually thought the UFO showing up was meant to signify "anything can happen" and thus foreshadow that he actually does get killed and the show never explains why he's alive in season 1.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I hope Ted Danson literally is an alien and the season ends with him calling Alien HQ and telling them "stay away from the Dakotas, they're nuts".

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It's pretty ballsy to end a season with a real, no kidding entire-episode epilogue/denouement. Even though I suspected that's what the finale would be (since we'd already seen the Massacre at Sioux Falls) it still impressed the poo poo out of me.

Just absolutely top notch head to toe. Better than season 1 even.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Illinois Smith posted:

Isn't that something a lot of shows are doing now though? Put the season's biggest action scene / plot developments in the second-to-last episode, then have the finale deal with the fallout from it. It just stands out more here because the seasons are self-contained.

Yeah, I guess it's because you just knew that episode was the end of the story. When other shows do it (like Game of Thrones) it's not so ballsy because you know it's coming back.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

You can stream it on Amazon Prime!

Did not know that, thanks. Been wanting to watch that flick.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I definitely found Bear to be both sympathetic and tragic. He also delivered my favorite line of the season "We'll be together again. On high." Gave me chills.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

El Hefe posted:

I love how this is a show where a goddamn alien spaceship appears in the middle of a shootout but goons think Hanzee changing his face is too drat unrealistic.

Hanzee becoming Moses seems like an intentional "gently caress you" to people who want everything to tie together neatly - the kind of person who probably would have been happy if Hanzee had turned out to be Lorne Malvo (which would have retroactively RUINED THE WHOLE SEASON - okay not really but it would have been super super dumb).

• Locked thread