Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Serious Frolicking posted:

I suspect that Saikawa is too much of a coward to flat out reject Nishinosono even though he and everyone around them can tell she is into him. He isn't really one of those standard emotionally dense geniuses, but he deflects like crazy.

I just like the fact that they're constantly reading each others' tells and calling each other out on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
I'm pretty sure it's just a self-contained book. I don't know about future books but I imagine it's like agatha Christie, or Doyle, all self contained stories

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
Looked into it, yeah, it's a series of a self-contained mysteries. Interestingly, Perfect Insider was itself planned to be the 4th book, but editorial shuffled it around and it became the first.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!
It is tradition for detectives to be philosophical weirdoes, or at least be under the influence of drugs.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

Sure is a lot of not killing people going on in this murder mystery.

I see you are unfamiliar with Agatha Christie novels.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Turin Turambar posted:

Subete 3

So as I suspected, this is a much more traditional murder mystery than it seemed at first. We have the couple of protagonists playing detective, a seemingly impossible murder (closed room case!), and a new death of a key character who maybe had a hand in the first murder.

Mmm I'm remember a Detective Conan arc that had some parallels this this...

My main worry is that the story is old enough that its mystery has been copied into other stories that its formula is now known to us through cultural osmosis. Still, I'm liking the dynamic between our detective duo and how they both seem to have their own angle on the case. Also curious to see what buildup of the relationship between Magata and Moe is leading toward.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

On the contrary, this is very much a classical mystery, so we probably have enough information to solve at least part of several of the mysteries already. They have been bombarding us with relevant information this episode. It's unlikely that, for example, the mail slot and its exact dimensions are just there for Nishinosono to amaze with her mental math.

Well where else would you put the arms and legs?

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

AnoHito posted:

The pilot does look kind of nervous, maybe someone's threatening him/holding him hostage?

Also cutting the limbs off seems pretty unnecessary and the reason given doesn't really make sense.

At the moment, it basically means there's a definite murderer or 3rd party involved, since someone had to remove them. Motive-wise, it's interesting because for a planned murder, you'd usually want it to look like a suicide or accidental death to not raise suspicion, but in this case the culprit seems to want someone to be suspected.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Rand Brittain posted:

Because anime. I don't think this is going to be one of those stories where the characters have motives or philosophies that make sense on any level besides "it's an anime."

It was a book originally though. And not a LN, an actual book.

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Xelkelvos posted:

Were there any Mystery rules that this series broke?

I assume a bunch. It wasn't trying to follow the usual formula.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allarion
May 16, 2009

がんばルビ!

Raenir Salazar posted:

This was the murder mystery I've been waiting on probably many many months now after the severe disappointment of some of the previous aired stuff. I feel oddly enough that this series feels like a mini series more than a regular TV anime, like a movie they expanded.

So good. The procedural and confrontation reminded me a little of Danganronpa and I hope there's more stuff out there like this.

e: Two things stand out for me as being "awesome", the whole 10 minute stretch of 100% understandable reasonable English that I'm sure drove a lot of Japanese viewers nuts and everything regarding the Unix distro and programming terminology that as far as I can tell is 100% on point.

Author was a programmer so it wouldn't surprise me if a lot of his mysteries used programming in some way.

e. Turns out I was right, according to wikipedia.

quote:

Mori's writings are called "rikei mystery," which roughly translates into "science mystery." This is most likely because Mori uses his experience as a research scientist and weaves some kind of a science- or math-related problem into the story (for example, several math puzzles were presented in Mathematical Goodbye). However, Mori says that he is reluctant to label his novels that way, and he goes on to question what is really meant when people say "science".[16]

In addition, Mori's works, especially The Perfect Insider, is often criticized for the overuse of computer jargons. He responds that it is perfectly natural for people with some background knowledge to have a better understanding than others. According to Mori, computer jargons are not much different from proper nouns, like the names of celebrities or fashion brands, in the sense that they are in most cases just there as ornament that serves to create a particular mood.

• Locked thread