Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Everyone on this show is an awful person and is going to die.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

dogsicle posted:

everybody can die, just please spare Nishinosono's ep1 outfit and car

That car is obscene.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Japanese title translates to Everything Becomes F which is a loving awesome title for something so full of dread.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

AnacondaHL posted:

Alfa Romero 4C. Not the best use of $60k, but not that obscene.

That's not what I meant by obscene.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

WitchFetish posted:

Since this seems like it involves computers, couldn't it be something computer related? Like, isn't F used in hexadecimals or something?

Hexadesmals or base 16 numbers are written out using 0-9 and then a, b, c, d, e, f. The F stands for 16.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

F is 15.

I'm a dumb, thank you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

All the guys in this show are full of poo poo and all the and all the girls are wild carnivores. The luggage stuff was great, as was the disdainful looks her car got. I have no clue what the rest of the show is going on about but I want to keep watching!

Side thing: I just learned that the author also wrote The Sky Crawlers, which Oshii made into a real good movie.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

I think that they were just so shocked by a ghost/cart coming at them that their reflexes were terrible, but after they recovered enough to order the AI to stop it, yeah, no excuse. Those security guards at the very least should've gone to grab it.

I think the security guard was too scared to touch Shiki, he's the dude who was all "you know she's a serial killer" when they tried to open Shiki's door. And remember the part of Shiki and Moe's conversation they played in this episode, about how in the future everyone will talk on video phones only and a handshake will be a rare occurrence? People don't touch each other in this setting, even in a life or death situation.

Even forgetting all that though, everyone being too shocked to do the right thing in that situation isn't that weird.That what they did do probably made things worse and fits with the themes of the show? Even better.

I really really liked that scene. Considering the type of show this is I didn't expect the becomes F moment to be a creepy thing comes at you down a dark hallway, but they weren't cheap about it. The lead up was perfect, there's a lot of stuff to build on symbolically (it's definitely important that they thought she was a doll at first) and they didn't just cut to credits, we actually got a way more terrifying scene afterwards. So so good.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I'll never look at carts the same way again.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This is not weekend at bernies, come on.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

This show is setting up a locked room murder that took fifteen years to execute, you're not gonna have anything figured out one episode after the body was found.

But yea, I like this show so much you guys. I want next week's episode right now.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The multiple personalities stuff is fine yall, it's clear that it wasn't added just to make the mystery more complex but to illistrate parts of Magata's psyche. We're not closer to understanding how the murder happened at all but that was another really good episode.

My terrible speculation: It's clear that part of how the murder was pulled off involved aspects of the software that runs the facility, which it appears Magata was involved in developing. Two possibilities: she had a hand in developing her own murder, or that she discovered the parts of the software designed to kill her and... something happened.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Oct 30, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Demicol posted:

I was going to say it's going to end up all being setup by Magata herself but that doesn't explain the rooftop murder.

That doesn't mean she's not involved, but it does make the whole thing more interesting.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Fangz posted:

In this episode, Saikawa continues to be an arsehole.

He's so good. Moe is so good. Their dialog where they're constantly trying to read each other in incredibly obvious ways is so good. I really like this show you guys.

I'm also much more on board with Magata's multiple personalities now that it's clear it's meant to be closer to be closer to imaginary friends than the actual mental disorder usually known as multiple personalities. It fits better with the themes they've been working with from the start, and the argument this episode was a really good pay off.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dan7el posted:

I hope that swimsuit wasn't Moe's but that she borrowed it from someone. Also, was that a Japanese JR high swimsuit the female programmer was wearing?

While it would be cool if Moe brought Lum cosplay with her I think thats meant to be the otaku's.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I have no clue where the mystery is going but Moe remembering Saikawa being there for her was fantastically done. The cuts bringing it all together in the end were masterful, too.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I don't know anything about law in Japan but even if her release doesn't make sense I can't see how it matters, it's all a part of the setup.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

You hosed up Viggy. You made an error and all the dorks will correct you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

But yea, I might be missing something but I'm pretty sure all the computer speak in this show checks out.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

nielsm posted:

So, is that it? The end?

"meh"

I haven't watched yet but I'm excited to be disappointed.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

The Devil Tesla posted:

I haven't watched yet but I'm excited to be disappointed.

That wasn't disappointing at all!! Everything came together like clockwork, and became sufficiently hosed up. Easily one of my favorite shows of the year.

devtesla fucked around with this message at 04:25 on Dec 11, 2015

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

When you saw only one set of footprints,
It was then that I murdered you.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Rand Brittain posted:

Because anime. I don't think this is going to be one of those stories where the characters have motives or philosophies that make sense on any level besides "it's an anime."

Lol okay bro

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I shouldn't be surprised about goons missing extremely obvious, double underlined themes, but here you go: Magata achieved some measure of freedom from worldly concerns, and is able to only think about the things she wants to. Saikawa is infatuated with the idea of living like Magata does, but one very big worldly concern keeps him grounded (that's Moe).

The tension between physical confinement and freedom of thought is the core of the story, which is why the climax takes place in a sensory deprivation tank. There's nothing physically to do in the tank, but for the characters in the story it frees their thoughts.

Now that might sound like bullshit to you, and honestly I agree. Sensory deprivation tanks freak me the gently caress out (they were originally developed as a kind of torture), and in general you are supposed to be freaked out at the idea of trading physical freedom for the freedom these folks seem to want. I think for a locked room mystery these are interesting themes to have, and I love the way they play with them.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Autonomous Monster posted:

Let's check!

Might fail at 4, depending on how charitable you want to be to the OS shenanigans, and the mother/daughter switcheroo might fall afoul of 10- does it count if the villain has to take lengths to conceal the deception, and the twist is signposted? Oh, and Moe's actually pretty smart, so technically it fails 9.

The intent of the rules, though, is that the mystery should be "fair"- a sufficiently attentive and thoughtful audience should be given enough information to figure out who did it and how, before the detective tells them. I think it's fair by the spirit if not necessarily the letter of the law.

No. 4 is about not making up how something works for the sake of fooling the audience. The OS stuff works just like real software does, so I don't think it breaks that rule.

No. 9 depends on how you define smart. Moe has a lot of talents but there's a lot of stuff she's not perceptive about. For this mystery at least, she fills the sidekick role.

No. 10 has that "duly prepared" part that sort of lets this one off the hook.

I don't really pay too much attention to the mechanics of the mystery but it seemed pretty solid to me.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I've been way busy and haven't, but this show rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Okay yea that was really good. I feel kind of sick but that was amazing.

• Locked thread