Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

I don't have any kind of firm theory yet, but here are some (mostly contradictory) options I'm throwing around in my head:

1. Magata never lived in that room, and nor did anyone. It was all run remotely and via Michiru. Michiru seems as if it can't do certain things such as opening doors, but it could have had other attachments which have since been removed, even moved out on the cart at some point. People never saw the real Magata''s face, and it could all have been just a computer display. Regardless of who the corpse is, the victim could have been killed outside the facility and smuggled in somehow.

2. Magata has a lookalike daughter, who was being raised in maximum isolation to maximise her genius. She could have been the one who spoke to Moe.

3. Magata and the daughter lived in there together. The daughter killed Magata, and escaped by hiding under the dress. But why remove the arms, if so? Did she have to press Magata's hand to the doorpad, then very quickly duck and hide on the trolley? Or was Michiru following orders and holding the hand up? Michiru could have disposed of the arm inside the room by some means, or could have actually had time to put it on the cart hidden by the dress, to be taken away when the cuprit crawled out. Alternatively, the culprit could already have been outside the room and actually taken that window of opportunity to sneak up to the cart and take away the arm. ...But if the culprit has control of all the computers, and they probably do, they didn't even need Magata's hand in order to open the door.

4.The corpse belongs to Magata's sister. The person pretending to be Magata's sister is either Magata or Magata's daughter. The arms were removed so that nobody could check to see if the hands could open the doors. If it's a daughter, potentially the real Magata has been dead for a long time, hence why the sister's corpse would be needed. But if the person posing as Magata's sister was really Magata's daughter, it makes even less sense that she would look older than Magata, so it probably really is Magata pretending to be the sister.

And now, I suppose I'm thinking of a weird scenario where Magata is posing as her own sister, the corpse was the real sister, and Magata has a daughter who used to be trapped in the room and escaped by hiding on the cart and then killed the director. Or, the corpse was the daughter and Magata is posing as the sister? Probably all needlessly complicated, esp. when there's no proof of there being a daughter in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Episode 9 was interesting. So, the theory that Magata was pregnant is more or less confirmed. And at the end of the ep, they basically say that the killer was Magata. I was suspecting that since during the conversation between Saikawa and Moe earlier when Moe said the killer was the child and Saikawa didn't really answer her about that point to say yes or no, just went on about how they needed to prove how the killer could have left the room. And then he said that he knew for certain that the child was a daughter. How did he know? There had been some theories that the daughter was the one who did the interviews, hence why Magata appeared to be so young in them. But he sounded firmer about it than one would expect.

It fits. I can't see any way around the corpse being that of Magata's daughter. Can't believe I didn't think of this much earlier, or that I didn't pay attention and remember when other people must (surely) have proposed this theory, but the reason that Magata looked so young in the interviews must have been because Magata was preparing to eventually pass off the daughter's corpse as her own, and if she had done the interviews using her own appearance, people would have known for certain that the corpse wasn't hers. This was not a spur of the moment thing. I don't think it really matters whether the daughter was the one who did the interviews or whether it was just an image simulating the daughter's appearance. And the corpse's arms had to be removed, because if they weren't, it would be easy to check the fingerprints. I'm not so sure about why the legs would be removed. Footprints could be checked too, I suppose? If they had records of Magata's footprints.

This all ought to mean that Magata's "sister" has to be Magata. But I do wonder which of Magata's personalities Saikawa is going to be talking to. The screen said "Michiru" but Saikawa just called her "Magata Shiki". The fact that the Magata who started talking at the end of the ep said that "We finally meet" suggests that perhaps the conversation Saikawa had with Magata's "sister" was with a different personality of hers. Or perhaps that's not true, and Magata is just saying that because they have now finally met under her correct identitiy?

I must say, assuming that this theory is right and that the corpse was the daughter's, that is so cold. Did Magata raise her daughter planning to murder her all along? I'd like it if there was an alternative theory I could think of which might contradict the corpse being the daughter, but so far I've got nothing.

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

Oh, good catch. You must be right, Tamba. I just took another look at the start of episode 9, and I can see another woman there, passing by the people the interviewer stopped to talk to. She has short-cut black hair, is wearing a purple short-sleeved top, and has a handbag over her right shoulder. And we are not shown her face. And checking episode 7, it is definitely, 100% the same dress and handbag and haircut as the one of Magata's "sister".

Van Dine
Apr 17, 2013

The latest ep really explains a lot. I was getting caught up before in wondering what Magata's motives were and why she would have been planning to murder her own daughter for so long, when maybe she could just have left the lab a different way, and if she'd been planning it all along how she could have been sure that the baby would be a daughter and a lookalike. But that's not how it was at all. She had wanted her daughter to live and to leave the lab, but what really happened was that the daughter either killed herself or requested for Magata to kill her, and Magata had to take the daughter's place in the plan.

It's quite neat and tidy in some respects. It had seemed odd that "Miki" looked older than the person who was supposed to be her older sister, but it makes a lot of sense for the original plan where Magata's daughter would have been the one pretending to be Miki and the corpse would have been Magata.

But there's one thing which is confusing me still. I don't understand why the daughter was the one who did the interviews when right up until the point of the interview with Moe, the plan was for the corpse to be Magata. If the plan had been for the corpse to be the daughter all along, it would make sense for her to do the interviews so that people would think that was Magata. Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and the bulk of the interviews were after the interview with Moe?

I have to agree with speculation above that maybe Magata is going to die in the next ep, since she might not be able to handle being alone. I remember that in an earlier ep when Saikawa was talking to "Miki", Miki briefly got upset and hid her face in her hands. And it seems that Magata's views are that it's not sad for a child to kill her parents, but that doesn't automatically mean she's also totally on board with the idea of a parent killing her child.

• Locked thread