Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

ours was $112 :chord:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

"all the lights on in the house? it's day time? all my 10 year old tower pcs on? all the crt teles on? wall mounted dryer cranking in spring time? fuckin don't worry 'bout it mate!" - echi

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
:smugmrgw:

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

:chord:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

how the gently caress does one spent nearly half a g on power a month though drat man that sucks you should either not live in poo poo town or get rid of your hydro indoor grow set up

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

I'm looking for the man who shot my paw.

Displeased Moo Cow posted:

wall mounted dryer cranking in spring time? fuckin don't worry 'bout it mate!"

everything else sort of made sense but this

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

mate

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

mate

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
our dryer is on the ground and doesn;t vent outside

but for reals its a deceptive power bill coz i changed companies and the OG company tacked on the partial month on th eold one so its like 1.3 months and also i think the underfloor heating in the kitchen

hacent had second power bill yet. hopefully not painful like first

also almost had electrical fire first week here with sparking n poo poo at powerboard idk if that was eating powr?

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i've for real been thinking about the benefits of solar energy. like if installing solar panels would be worth it in the long run. have any of you mates looked into that?

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

we were going to do it

with wind

completely off grid

batteries too unreliable for me

doable, but too much work for lazy me to maintain.

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

wind and solar I mean

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
isnt it increasingly becoming more beneficial?

if you can rely on the mains grid for when sun goes down i think its like 5 years to pay off all up?

worth doing imo but its getting cheaper all the time so not sure when best time to do really is

Roosevelt
Jul 18, 2009

i was looking at a piece of property for being self-sufficient

but when i actually scouted the place, if you can imagine what an "off-the-grid" community looks like in USA

the property was perfect, and already had solar installed, but the neighbors where ehhhh....

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

yeah we were going to do it in 2010 so

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

ShadowHawk posted:

Be a baller like me and rent a 5 bedroom home then rerent the other 4 rooms on airbnb and pay net negative rent in motherfucking mountain view

All for the cost of doing some extra laundry and changing sheets every now and again. You gotta clean a bit more too but that's stuff you shoulda been doing anyway.

If the check-in/out load gets too annoying just put discounts on longer stays and fill up on on 3-month interns who are desperate not to sign a real lease.

and you're declaring that extra income on your taxes, certainly?

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ShadowHawk posted:

I tell people I rent out 4/5 of the house to strangers and they're usually surprised to find out I hardly ever see them even though I spend most of my home time in the common areas.

When you're staying at an AirBNB you're pretty much either vacationing, business traveling, or doing a temporary work reassignment and thus you don't really have much cause to dole around the house.

you have a house? i thought you lived in a hacker hostel and ate dinner at a cafeteria table

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Condiv posted:

i thought you lived in a hacker hostel and ate dinner at a cafeteria table

he does, it's just his hacker hostel now, in a house he doesn't own

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

were the veggies eaten?

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

The Management posted:

and you're declaring that extra income on your taxes, certainly?
If you make enough on airbnb they have to file forms with the IRS so yeah.

I get to deduct a good chunk of the rent to compensate though.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Condiv posted:

you have a house? i thought you lived in a hacker hostel and ate dinner at a cafeteria table
I rent a home that's going to be demolished in a couple years and told the landlord I'd keep renting until he's ready to pull the trigger.

It's a pretty sweet deal actually because he has no reason to worry about damages to the place. Thus I can actually have pets.

People in this area are insane about that. I've seen homes for rent with literal $15,000 security deposits that have strict rules against pets. How an animal could possibly cause that amount of damage unless it's a pet elephant or something I have no idea.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

BONGHITZ posted:

were the veggies eaten?
Nope. I've gained weight since then too.

Condiv posted:

I still eat dinner at cafeterias don't worry.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

ShadowHawk posted:

Nope. I've gained weight since then too.

I still eat dinner at cafeterias don't worry.

why would you eat dinner at a cafeteria instead of at home or at least at a restaurant/bar?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Condiv posted:

why would you eat dinner at a cafeteria instead of at home or at least at a restaurant/bar?

because he lives in a flophouse

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

Condiv posted:

because I make poor life choices

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

infernal machines posted:

he does, it's just his hacker hostel now, in a house he doesn't own

he's working his way up to slumlord

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

The Management posted:

he's working his way up to slumlord
If Silicon Valley had more slumlords it might actually be possible to rent a two bedroom for less than the national median income

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i don't even...

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Roosevelt posted:

i've for real been thinking about the benefits of solar energy. like if installing solar panels would be worth it in the long run. have any of you mates looked into that?

my PV array is on track to pay itself off after ~5 years

maths/assumptions:
-5 kW PV array
-$4800 installed after rebates
-3200 "sun hours" per year on average
-north-ish facing roof (south for northern hemisphere)
-22c saved per kWh used from the solar
-8c earned per kWh pumped into the grid

after 1 year actuals:
-7,553 kWh generated
-20 kWh per day produced on average (~30/d in summer ~14/d in winter)
-4,960 kWh exported
-2,593 kWh used
-$930 "value"

since then, I just got a spam offering to sell a 5 kW PV array for $3789 (lol owned), 1-phase only in this ad but mine only cost $300 extra for a 3-phase inverter so call it maybe $4100

~Coxy fucked around with this message at 12:10 on Oct 11, 2015

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

designer of the lomarf car

Buglord

echinopsis posted:

i am jealous. it took nz like until the 2000s to step up to the insulation game the americans had been playing for years

you guys will forever know a wintertime warmth only the richest of us will know
australian housing owns like that too which means in stinking hot australia more people freeze to death than in sweden. i'm laughing b/c we don't do winter here in brisbane tho ultimately the joke's on me because i live in brisbane

also as part of the gfc stimulus poo poo we had a rebate scheme for houses to get free insulation, but instead of saving lives it literally killed people as fly by night operations tried to profit from it using untrained staff who electricuted themselves and nobody thought to do anything about it until four whole earth humans had died

straya :australia:

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord
oh lol nvm turns out like all our acting and singing talent we stole that idea from new zealand as well

http://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/may/15/kevin-rudd-given-no-warning-insulation-program-was-going-off-the-rails posted:

Nor was he aware of a similar program in New Zealand under which three men were killed in 2007.
:owned:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

how the gently caress do you kill yourself with insulation? gently caress, even grover managed not to do that

oh, yes, unlicensed electrical work, on live lines. yeah so not so much killed by insulation as having not the first goddamned clue what they're doing

poisoned pie
Jan 15, 2005

Can you feel the colors?
Man I used to think that NZ was a good place to live and that by moving to Sydney I had traded a level of living quality in exchange for opportunity, but the more I hear about things it seems like NZ is actually just cold and boring and expensive???? My quarterly elec bill was like $350 for the 3rd quarter and I hammered the dryer during that period cause we had a pretty wet winter here.

jony ive aces
Jun 14, 2012

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

how the gently caress do you kill yourself with insulation? gently caress, even grover managed not to do that

oh, yes, unlicensed electrical work, on live lines. yeah so not so much killed by insulation as having not the first goddamned clue what they're doing
"The 22-year-old died after being electrocuted while using metal staples to lay conductive insulation in a roof in Cairns."

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
airbnb rules and sucks. all the places I've stayed in were great but one time I left a really nice blazer in one and texted the landlady "hey can you get it and send it back to me" and she replied essentially "wat lol" and I never got it back

also I never stay in a shared house sitch, that is gross and weird

sorry about your lovely heating options, NZ. why not just put the oven on if ER heating is so expensive (or is that run by electricity too)

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

jony ive aces posted:

"The 22-year-old died after being electrocuted while using metal staples to lay conductive insulation in a roof in Cairns."

tbf even if they had shut the power off, they probably would have just burned the house down when the turned it back on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

indigi posted:

sorry about your lovely heating options, NZ. why not just put the oven on if ER heating is so expensive (or is that run by electricity too)

if they had gas ovens they'd probably have gas heating too

short of a sheep fired oven the only thing they've got to work with is wood or electricity

• Locked thread