Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
How many people have terminated a session early because they were getting too stimulated? Don't necessarily sexually but last time I got a massage it was way too pleasurable for me to handle it.

ShadowMoo fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Oct 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ShadowMoo posted:

How many people have terminated a session early because they were getting too stimulated? Don't necessarily sexually but last time I got a massage it was way too pleasurable for me to handle it.

Well... none but they do tend tip a lot more, one lady made a trip to an atm to bring me back some cash she was the most visibly stimulated client I'd ever worked on. I have had people ask for a short break on a foot massage because it felt too good though.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Is it weird that I find massages to be painful and never enjoyed one? Ever had clients like me?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Slaan posted:

Is it weird that I find massages to be painful and never enjoyed one? Ever had clients like me?

I don't think it's that weird, some people just don't like to be touched, I've never had a client that didn't enjoy the massage. However I did have one that wouldn't take off any clothes at the start, so I had to basically do dry compressions over their clothes and stretch them out, over the session they gradually trusted me more and took off enough that they only had one outer layer on their legs and body and their arms and feet were bare. The fact that you find them painful is a bit much though, unless you've gotten really bad massages you may have some other issue you need to worry about.

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
What was your longest continuous session and what was your largest tip?

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I don't think it's that weird, some people just don't like to be touched, I've never had a client that didn't enjoy the massage. However I did have one that wouldn't take off any clothes at the start, so I had to basically do dry compressions over their clothes and stretch them out, over the session they gradually trusted me more and took off enough that they only had one outer layer on their legs and body and their arms and feet were bare. The fact that you find them painful is a bit much though, unless you've gotten really bad massages you may have some other issue you need to worry about.

I like being touched and I have no problems with nudity at all. I think it might just be that all of the massages I've had in the past have been done by amateurs, though ones that other people have sad were 'good' at it. They always seemed to press too deep and really dig in with their fingers. Its a quite uncomfortable feeling. My muscles tend to feel best after a run or weight lifting and tend to hurt for a while after these massages.

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

I've heard that you should drink a shitton of water after a massage to "flush out all the toxins that were released from your muscles". Have you heard that before? Is it something that's been misinterpreted, or is it all just bullshit?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

ShadowMoo posted:

What was your longest continuous session and what was your largest tip?

Longest continuous session was 2 hours and my largest tip was fifty dollars from a house call to a mansion. My last massage job was with an upscale chiropractor who occasionally sent me out to rich clients houses and I'd usually work on multiple people there. Oddly enough one family had Costco products all over the back of the area, foyer was just for show it seemed.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Slaan posted:

I like being touched and I have no problems with nudity at all. I think it might just be that all of the massages I've had in the past have been done by amateurs, though ones that other people have sad were 'good' at it. They always seemed to press too deep and really dig in with their fingers. Its a quite uncomfortable feeling. My muscles tend to feel best after a run or weight lifting and tend to hurt for a while after these massages.

Hmm maybe try sports massage, I didn't specialize in it, but my understand is it's supposed to be brisk and circulatory to aid recovery from strenuous exercise.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Jyrraeth posted:

I've heard that you should drink a shitton of water after a massage to "flush out all the toxins that were released from your muscles". Have you heard that before? Is it something that's been misinterpreted, or is it all just bullshit?

Oh I've definitely heard this before and there is a bit of truth to it, it's not toxins that are released from your muscles though, it's uric acid, it's similar to how you should be well hydrated before doing yoga.

Wraithson
Sep 8, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Oh I've definitely heard this before and there is a bit of truth to it, it's not toxins that are released from your muscles though, it's uric acid, it's similar to how you should be well hydrated before doing yoga.

You mean lactic acid right? I've always told people its that, as a fellow therapist. Uric acid would leave the skin yellowed and all jaundicy, correct? Feel free to correct me, just don't want to be telling people the wrong info in my sessions.

Marf Revus
Apr 20, 2010

Meh
What's up with tipping, is it expected? Do most people tip?

Fairly new to massages and haven't before, but was always unsure about it and it never really came up at the place I go. The card machine doesn't give the option and I'm always paying a receptionist. The option just never really presents itself.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Wraithson posted:

You mean lactic acid right? I've always told people its that, as a fellow therapist. Uric acid would leave the skin yellowed and all jaundicy, correct? Feel free to correct me, just don't want to be telling people the wrong info in my sessions.

Oh geez you're right it's lactic, uric acid buildup can cause muscle cramps and joint pain, but it's mostly lactic acid in the muscles that get released when you massage.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Marf Revus posted:

What's up with tipping, is it expected? Do most people tip?

Fairly new to massages and haven't before, but was always unsure about it and it never really came up at the place I go. The card machine doesn't give the option and I'm always paying a receptionist. The option just never really presents itself.

Many people tip between 5-20% of the service's charge, it's not expected at chiropractic businesses, but spas and such it's much more expected, tipping really helps out people working in the chains. If you want to tip (you're not obligated) you can just leave the cash on top of your pillow or somewhere the therapist will find it so they can pocket it and never ever tell the IRS about it. Ever.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
I've always heard it's bad to get a massage while you've got a cold because it'll make it worse. Is this true or is it a myth spread to keep germy people away?

the littlest prince
Sep 23, 2006

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

people working in the chains

Are all masseuses (sp?) members of a chain gang?

Scudworth
Jan 1, 2005

When life gives you lemons, you clone those lemons, and make super lemons.

Dinosaur Gum

Slaan posted:

I think it might just be that all of the massages I've had in the past have been done by amateurs, though ones that other people have sad were 'good' at it. They always seemed to press too deep and really dig in with their fingers. Its a quite uncomfortable feeling.

People who claim to be "good at back rubs!" and etc. are not, and it's night and day compared to a professional massage. You've never had a massage, you've had people digging their thumbs into places and mashing around muscles they know nothing about.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

I've always heard it's bad to get a massage while you've got a cold because it'll make it worse. Is this true or is it a myth spread to keep germy people away?

What I heard was it'd temporarily make the symptoms worse but massage improves the flow of lymph helping out your immune system. There might be some truth to that one but I don't know specifically.

the littlest prince posted:

Are all masseuses (sp?) members of a chain gang?

We're all slaves to money.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!
When you are ill, your body silos the offending germs around your lymph nodes. Massage will push all that junk back around your body and make you usually feel sicker and weaker after a massage. However, massage will also stimulate your immune system, so its like a trade-off: you'll feel worse for a short amount of time but feel better sooner.

That's the old saw in massage therapy, anyway, and I know places like the Massage Envy web site will say that "studies" show that to be true but I've never seen one of those studies, and if there is actually a single case study of massage's effects on the common cold or flu I'll eat my hat. I've personally had that outcome when I've received a massage while under the weather, but, you know, I know that's what's supposed to happen, and placebo is the specter that hangs above all complementary and alternative medicine.

Tsunemori
Nov 20, 2006

HEEEYYYWHOOOHHH
A few questions if you don't mind.

1. Friends love getting massages from me, and I think it's because I'm an artist and have studied muscles, so I have a basic understanding of how things work (e.g. where to dig deep, painful areas to avoid, etc). How important do you think is having anatomical knowledge?

2. Do you just stay quiet and focus on your massage? Or do you engage in a conversation with your client? Any interesting/funny story?

3. What is your personal opinion on:
a) Swedish massage - Is this just "generic massage"? Or is there a standardised set of skills and techniques?
b) Shiatsu massage - Japanese, pressure-based stuff. Sounds like bollocks?
c) Sports massage - What constitutes "sports massage"? Is it deep tissue stuff? Strictly scientific stuff?
d) Infant/baby massage - Probably not as bad as chiropractic but it can't be too good.
e) Acupuncture - Tried it, I believe it's all bollocks, made things worse in my experience.

4. What's your least favourite pseudoscience bullshit? Mine would be the ionic detox footbath thing, and reflexology. Seeing them advertised really makes me mad!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Man, I had no idea I had all that poo poo in my feet. I have no idea how I passed anatomy, I got it all wrong.

turbomoose
Nov 29, 2008
Playing the banjo can be a relaxing activity and create lifelong friendships!
\
:backtowork:
I've had plenty of massages from physical therapists since I rant track and field in college, and most of those hurt a lot but made me feel so much better after, and from what I've seen that's pretty much the norm for sports massages. For instance I watched a documentary on the NFL and the therapists were making these huge manly men cry from pain.

Have you had any experience in this, and do you know if some of this would be mitigated by warming up the muscles first? It seem like my college had 3 pretty competent physical therapists and I assume the NFL would have the best of the best.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Tsunemori posted:

A few questions if you don't mind.

1. Friends love getting massages from me, and I think it's because I'm an artist and have studied muscles, so I have a basic understanding of how things work (e.g. where to dig deep, painful areas to avoid, etc). How important do you think is having anatomical knowledge?

2. Do you just stay quiet and focus on your massage? Or do you engage in a conversation with your client? Any interesting/funny story?

3. What is your personal opinion on:
a) Swedish massage - Is this just "generic massage"? Or is there a standardised set of skills and techniques?
b) Shiatsu massage - Japanese, pressure-based stuff. Sounds like bollocks?
c) Sports massage - What constitutes "sports massage"? Is it deep tissue stuff? Strictly scientific stuff?
d) Infant/baby massage - Probably not as bad as chiropractic but it can't be too good.
e) Acupuncture - Tried it, I believe it's all bollocks, made things worse in my experience.

4. What's your least favourite pseudoscience bullshit? Mine would be the ionic detox footbath thing, and reflexology. Seeing them advertised really makes me mad!

1. Anatomical knowledge is important when you get into more specific work, like treating an injury or dealing with a condition like carpal tunnel or sciatica, but for relaxation massages, not so much. I had one guy who wouldn't shut up about how Native Americans have everything handed to them by the government so he can't fathom why they complain about anything since they have it so well. Only client I ever openly mocked and laughed at. "I'm pretty sure if you add up all the things the US government has taken from them and compared it to what they've given to them... you wouldn't want to take that deal."

2. Depends on the client, usually it's best to be quiet and if the client keeps their eyes open they probably want a conversation. Sometimes they want a little conversation up front then they just want to relax.

a: This is the standardized massage style in America and Europe, however different techniques have more emphasis in different countries, for example Americans rarely engaging in slapping or clapping on people.

b: I've done shiatsu techniques and had it done to me in Japan, it's definitely relaxing and while the idea that working on muscles in one area can affect another spot may seem strange, there's some truth to it since it's possible for compressions on your nerves to send false signals to your brain. Often times when treating carpal tunnel suffers I find there's a lot of knots around the brachial nerve cluster on the arm, treating that reduces the symptoms. I don't think rubbing your feet can affect your organs.

c: Sports massage isn't deep tissue, it's generally circulatory, really brusque. Professional sports massage for a team is more scientific than amateur since you're working on multi-million dollar employees so there's a heavy investment in equipment too. Often the work is deeper and more intense. This is what I've heard, I've never personally done sports massage on a professional athlete, just regular massage.

d: Nah, you do it gently and it helps them go to sleep. You sit down, put the baby on your lap and position it so it can't roll off and you gently massage the kid, really helps them sleep, you can work on their little feet, some parents go to classes to learn this, you wouldn't want to pay a stranger to do it for you since it really helps you to bond with the kid.

e: ditto, worked great for my parents though, got it from a Chinese guy who grew up in Scotland and had a pure Scotts accent.

4. Toxins, loving toxins, a vague cause of every problem you have so buy this expensive herbal water, or get poisoned with this other all natural cure.

Mr.Pibbleton fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Nov 25, 2015

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

turbomoose posted:

I've had plenty of massages from physical therapists since I rant track and field in college, and most of those hurt a lot but made me feel so much better after, and from what I've seen that's pretty much the norm for sports massages. For instance I watched a documentary on the NFL and the therapists were making these huge manly men cry from pain.

Have you had any experience in this, and do you know if some of this would be mitigated by warming up the muscles first? It seem like my college had 3 pretty competent physical therapists and I assume the NFL would have the best of the best.

Warming them up would make it hurt less, but if you want someone to recover fast and they're seriously hosed up, there's some deep tissue stuff you can ease into over the course of a few hours a week or you can snap into early and cut their recovery time way down, it'll just hurt a lot. The bigger the muscle, the more damage you can be dealing with and more damage means more pain and professional athletes tear up their muscles pretty drat good. However most of the sports massage I've done is light recovery which is focused on circulatory work.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

So given how much the places charge for a massage ($80 for an hour), seems crazy that tips are expected, so I'm curious - how much of that $80 goes to the masseuse? Is it a stupidly small amount with the rest just being pure gravy to the spa, or does the masseuse get a decent cut of it?

Also, how common is 'rebound'? I recently started working out for the first time in my life ever (I'm 50 years old), and the day after the massage I was getting muscle cramps in every loving muscle, the worst being in my lats. They didn't hurt as bad as the cramps in my calves and hamstrings, but holy poo poo they just went on and on and I couldn't figure out a way to stretch to stop them like I do with the legs.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

The Locator posted:

So given how much the places charge for a massage ($80 for an hour), seems crazy that tips are expected, so I'm curious - how much of that $80 goes to the masseuse? Is it a stupidly small amount with the rest just being pure gravy to the spa, or does the masseuse get a decent cut of it?

Also, how common is 'rebound'? I recently started working out for the first time in my life ever (I'm 50 years old), and the day after the massage I was getting muscle cramps in every loving muscle, the worst being in my lats. They didn't hurt as bad as the cramps in my calves and hamstrings, but holy poo poo they just went on and on and I couldn't figure out a way to stretch to stop them like I do with the legs.

It really depends on the place, some places pay the therapist minimum wage and they take home tips on top of that (usually people fresh out of school who don't know any better), other places pay a percentage, some do a flat amount per massage, I was getting 30 dollars on an eighty dollar massage at my last place. If you're getting rebound it sounds like you worked out your muscles pretty hard then got some deep work done, it's not that common, most people recover quite a bit after a massage, I do self massage and stretches after I work out and I find it to be pretty helpful (as are over the counter anti inflammatories, talk to your doctor first.) A good rule of thumb for stretching muscles is that you want to pull them in the opposite direction of where they normally pull. Usually you can stretch a lat by grabbing on to something tall, like the top of a door frame and then pulling down with your body weight, not the lat itself, other options include holding one arm up vertically, grab the wrist and pull your upper body while keeping your hips level. You want your torso to go curve to the right if you're pulling on your left arm and vice versa, keeping that constant pull on the arm as bend your torso should stretch it out. As you start working on free weights you may notice some pain in your forearms, these can be tricky to stretch and it's kind of hard to describe the best stretch for your forearms (carpal tunnel exercises are good for this). Aikido stretches are absolutely great for this, video is set to one of the best ones you can do but the rest of it is handy too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB78amc3p80 Also consider trying YRG, Yoga for Regular Guys, a friend of mine who's a professional yoga instructor recommended that dvd series for me, it's really good and you can vary the impact of it by how much you tense up, it's excellent to do lightly on your rest days.

That's like two sentences of answer than an extra paragraph of unnecessary explanation.

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Thanks. That video was enlightening. I have so little mobility compared to that guy that I have problems even getting my off-hand to the proper grab position, and I have less than half the mobility in all of those as the guy doing the video.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

A friend reminded me about this thread, I thought I'd bring it back in case somebody had some questions or needed some help.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

I get deep tissue massages fairly often and mostly find them extremely helpful, but sometimes there is a weird thing where over the course of the massage I develop a buildup of pain in the lower right corner of my back. It almost feels like the pain that used to be in my shoulders/neck/arms is somehow being relocated there, and when the therapist works on that area it doesn't seem to diffuse it. It does go away immediately when I turn over but it can be pretty unpleasant and distracting during. any idea what that could mean?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Earwicker posted:

I get deep tissue massages fairly often and mostly find them extremely helpful, but sometimes there is a weird thing where over the course of the massage I develop a buildup of pain in the lower right corner of my back. It almost feels like the pain that used to be in my shoulders/neck/arms is somehow being relocated there, and when the therapist works on that area it doesn't seem to diffuse it. It does go away immediately when I turn over but it can be pretty unpleasant and distracting during. any idea what that could mean?

That's pretty unusual, normally relaxing a muscle helps other muscles in the area relax. It might be mild nerve compression, try getting a massage while laying face down with a pillow or a bolster under your hips or stomach.

OhAreThey
Oct 12, 2012

I like your nurse's uniform, guy.
As a male massage therapist, do you ever find that either women and/or men are uncomfortable having a man massage them? Do you ever run into men who think it's "gay" to have another man massage them? Or women who are uncomfortable with a male massage therapist seeing/touching their bodies?

Any advice for dealing with ticklishness? I get regular massages, but won't let my therapist touch my feet because I seize up from the ticklish feeling.

Do massages therapists like it or not like it when a client wants to chat (or stay quiet) during a massage? I usually stay quiet to relax but sometimes I'd rather shoot the poo poo with my therapist. What's normal?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

OhAreThey posted:

As a male massage therapist, do you ever find that either women and/or men are uncomfortable having a man massage them? Do you ever run into men who think it's "gay" to have another man massage them? Or women who are uncomfortable with a male massage therapist seeing/touching their bodies?

Any advice for dealing with ticklishness? I get regular massages, but won't let my therapist touch my feet because I seize up from the ticklish feeling.

Do massages therapists like it or not like it when a client wants to chat (or stay quiet) during a massage? I usually stay quiet to relax but sometimes I'd rather shoot the poo poo with my therapist. What's normal?

The majority of my clients have been women, but generally speaking women seem to be more likely to seek out massages than men, I think that more people are comfortable with a female massage therapist than with a male, only one time have i heard of a customer refusing to get a massage from me when they found out only a male masseur was available, so he probably qualified for question number 2. I have had female clients who refused to take off any clothing at first but eventually they got more comfortable with me. Sometimes people aren't relaxed during a massage unless they can keep an eye on the therapist and it's actually easier to work on their back when they're laying on their side, it's very rare though.

As for tickling people, the best way to avoid that is with slow movements and firm pressure, try getting them to warm up your feet by grasping your arch and twisting it, maybe running their knuckles slowly and firmly back and forth on your arch, then in between the metatarsals(the long foot bones). Once your feet relax a bit and you get more comfortable with the idea of people touching your feet, the ticklish sensations should subside.

Most massage therapists like it when their clients chat, but sometimes we want to be quiet too, so just go with how you feel.

Apocron
Dec 5, 2005
I tend to do massage every day while me and my wife relax on the couch at night. The problem is that my hands and thumbs are really starting to feel the strain. It's not "real" massage as I tend to knead her back with one hand while we watch something on TV but she really appreciates it and I hate to have to stop because of fear it will damage my hands. I see that you've said that if I make "the fig" gesture that might help support my thumb better; is there anything else I can do to make sure my hands are in good shape or any warning signs I should know so that I don't do any real damage to my hands?

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
Do you have a list of basic do/don'ts when getting a massage? Several years ago I had read a very honest, blunt list made my a massage therapist that was interesting, but of course I can't find it again.

I can only afford to splurge on a massage a couple times a year, and maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like I'm missing something whenever they ask how the massage was. It's a massage, it felt good, I don't really know what to say besides that I feel relaxed and loosened up, but it's like they want me to say or do something more. Any thoughts?

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Apocron posted:

I tend to do massage every day while me and my wife relax on the couch at night. The problem is that my hands and thumbs are really starting to feel the strain. It's not "real" massage as I tend to knead her back with one hand while we watch something on TV but she really appreciates it and I hate to have to stop because of fear it will damage my hands. I see that you've said that if I make "the fig" gesture that might help support my thumb better; is there anything else I can do to make sure my hands are in good shape or any warning signs I should know so that I don't do any real damage to my hands?

The muscles in your hands go all the way down to your elbow, try holding your forearm and wiggling your fingers, you'll feel a lot of movement. Other than alternating 10 minute soaks between hot and cold water, forearm stretches before and after you work on your wife will help a lot.

This video should have some stretches that'll help you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPO-zST-7EE

If your forearms are still hurting the next day, you probably shouldn't massage that night, take some ibuprofen and do the stretches, try and do them a few times a day.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Koivunen posted:

Do you have a list of basic do/don'ts when getting a massage? Several years ago I had read a very honest, blunt list made my a massage therapist that was interesting, but of course I can't find it again.

I can only afford to splurge on a massage a couple times a year, and maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like I'm missing something whenever they ask how the massage was. It's a massage, it felt good, I don't really know what to say besides that I feel relaxed and loosened up, but it's like they want me to say or do something more. Any thoughts?

Not really, showering before you go in is really nice, I don't mind if you order a general massage then tell me to focus on something. The worst client for me was another massage therapist who dictated what exact techniques I should use so i didn't get to use any of my good moves. What massage therapists really like hearing is that a specific technique or action was appreciated, I had a lady come back the next day to let me know that she really appreciated the work on her shoulder, said after my massage for the first time in five years it didn't hurt when she reached back to get the seat belt in her car. Personally I really want to hear about how I helped you, but if you can't think of anything specific to say just kinda stretch and flex your back and go "Yeeeeeaaaaaah I'd say good."

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.
Can regular massage therapists (as in, not physical therapists) do trigger point release massage? I'm talking the really painful kind that has you shouting expletives at the therapist while they jam their fingers into the knots, not the "oh that feels good" type. How do I ask for it without it sounding like a weird fetish?

I was in physical therapy forever for a hosed up shoulder and they were finally making good headway on the knots in my shoulder muscles when my insurance cut me off on visits and I can feel it all tightening back up again.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Can regular massage therapists (as in, not physical therapists) do trigger point release massage? I'm talking the really painful kind that has you shouting expletives at the therapist while they jam their fingers into the knots, not the "oh that feels good" type. How do I ask for it without it sounding like a weird fetish?

I was in physical therapy forever for a hosed up shoulder and they were finally making good headway on the knots in my shoulder muscles when my insurance cut me off on visits and I can feel it all tightening back up again.

Actually yes, some massage therapists do do trigger point release techniques, but that's for working on a knot in one part of the body in order to handle pain in another part. If you just want the knots out, they'll work on them, but doing stretches on your own will help a lot. If it's a particular part of your shoulder bothering you, I can suggest some stretches you might find useful, base on where the knots are.

legendof
Oct 27, 2014

Is there any middle ground between "groupon couples' massage class" and "licensed massage therapist"? I'd really love to take like 10 hours of classes to get better at giving massages and learn some musculature/anatomy, but I can't find anything that isn't either an actual massage therapy program or groupon-y.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

legendof posted:

Is there any middle ground between "groupon couples' massage class" and "licensed massage therapist"? I'd really love to take like 10 hours of classes to get better at giving massages and learn some musculature/anatomy, but I can't find anything that isn't either an actual massage therapy program or groupon-y.

The closest thing to that would be continuing education classes for massage therapy and those are usually focused on one specific technique and you're expected to already have the fundamentals down beforehand. However there is an excellent resource for learning anatomy, trail guide to the body. http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/tra...k_clickid=3x305 I really recommend this book, it'll show the individual muscles on the skeleton and in groups, it goes into more detail than college level anatomy classes and it explains how to find the muscle's on someone else's body really well. As for learning how to massage without going to school, I'd say find someone to practice on and look on youtube for tutorials on basic Swedish styles (most of which require a table) Shiatsu styles can be done on the floor pretty easily though. I'd say the biggest thing in getting good at massages is practicing technique and feeling with your hands, sadly the last part requires a large number of people so that's a bit tricky.

• Locked thread