Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Darn I was hoping to nab the 109 but if JJ is after it then I would like to claim the Stuka with the most exp. If I can get the 109 can it please be named: Geschwader or if it i s the Stuka then please call it: Zerstörer. Thank you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Iain M Banks?

Will have it done

We'll almost definitely get another fighter (not sure when though) so if you want to wait I'll get you in the next one.

Will do.

Thanks but I am good with a Stuka. Not so good with being patient and waiting haha.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
That is a lot of new forces up in the north think we might need to pull back a bit. Were they always there just hidden in the FoW or did they just arrive/were bought by the AI. Also I really think I need to buy this game.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Silly polish air force thinking they can hurt the mighty power of the Luftwaffe. So quite happy to see Zerstorer wrecking havoc in the enemy lines and even though i just joked about their attempt was it possible for that polish fighter to have done significant damage to my lovely Junkers.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Option E. Just because I am sure that none were being used at this time and I want to see if we can somehow cause a C and C Red Alert style time paradox :P

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Do-17z and He-111's were used a lot in Poland. Both were available in large quantities.

Fun fact, the Luftwaffe had such a huge dominance of the skies over Poland that He-111's would perform strafing runs with the nose gun. Some He-111's had a 20mm autocannon, which would eventually be incorporated into an official variant.

Edit:

Unfun fact, some of their strafing runs were against non-military personnel :eng99:

I feel like a bit of an idiot right now as I thought tactical bomber = four engine bomber. Still going to go with E as we can always use more planes.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
North

We must not underestimate our enemy. This is their capital city and I would hope the game puts out some major opposition due to that reason.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Fight the Russian Bear.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Klaus88 posted:

That's a KV-2. :staredog:

Gentlemen, it appears we're boned.

Keep those fighters off my back and my Stuka will put a bomb right down that turret. Its a nice slow, fat target after all.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Always great to see new updates for this LP. Though I got two questions for you. First how easy is ti for the AI to surprise you with hidden units? Like have you ever had a point where an infantry unit has been jumped by a nasty tank unit or a bomber like my beloved stuka being jumped by spitfires? Secondly what is so bad about Narvik?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I like my 275/11 ratio and think it might be the best one there but then I suck at maths and I am only guessing by looking. Still who needs maths or at least complicated maths when you have bombs. Also liking the look of that campaign map and with your track record looks like we may get to Dunkirk and destroy the BEF. If that happens do we get to commence Sealion?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Ouch some nasty fighting there, nice to see my Stuka planes are kicking up a storm and achieving good results. A little worried that the allied air force is getting better at their jobs though.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
A. Focus on the British. France will be rolled over soon enough lets smash those Tommys while we can.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Thought you might like to know that this LP convinced me to buy the full Panzer Corps collection. For anyone else that might be interested the full collection is available on steam with 50% off till the 12 of Feb. Looking forward to playing this.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Jobbo do you know if the campaign changes depending on the difficulty? I have all the extra campaigns I believe and yet when I started, on the easiest difficulty, I only had one mission in Poland and then it jumped to Norway for one mission and now I am in the lowlands which again was one mission and now France (taking Paris). Is this because of the difficulty or have I picked up a different game or chosen a different campaign.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

You aren't choosing the grand campaign. Its very counter-intuitive, but the Grand Campaign campaigns are in the classified document on the bottom right.

Clicking it leads to this screen

Wow that is not really a helpful ro well laid out way of explaining it ingame. It's great that I have you and this LP otherwise I'd likely have never worked it out for ages. Ah well time to start all over again haha.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So playing through the game, though on an easier difficulty mode, I have quickly learnt who my worst enemy is and it is.... myself. So far to date I have lost 3 BF 109, 2 Stukas including the crappy hero unit guy, 1 BF110 all to having them away from an airfield and not paying attention. A few turns of not moving them and suddenly I notice they are gone. I guess this is due to running out of fuel? Either way need to pay more attention to my precious planes.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Glad to see you went with fighting the British as I chose the French option myself so nice to see the difference. Also I was wondering have you gotten any paratroopers yet because if not I recommend only getting three at most. I had a nice trained group of three and decided for a few more but the game would only allow me to have a max of three start airborne in their transports the others had to go on foot. just thought I'd mention it in case you were thinking of adding some more in the future.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

I haven't bothered getting any paratroopers yet, even though I probably should.

As for the airstart, that depends on the # of transport aircraft available, which changes based on a per-scenario basis, IIRC.

I tested this with a non-DLC mission (Moscow 43) and I was able to purchase and deploy 6 Paratroopers.

Weird. I am now quite far ahead, (Western42/43) and have never been able to field more than three with air transports and even when I had my initial three troopers land I couldn't get the others into the now ready transports even at airfields. Ah well. Three shall have to do. Also Stukas love the Stukas they are brilliant.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Another rather successful mission, some close calls but generally things are going well. Have you had any battles yet where you thought you might end with only a minor victory or have they all been certain decisive victories. Currently my missions are leaning towards 50/50 for minor and decisive and a number of units have had to be reform which has killed their experience which means they usually end up dying all over again. It is turning into a real meat grinder.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I admit I am on the easiest difficulty level as this is my first time ever playing and yes playing '44 right now and ouch are my prestige levels getting low. It doesn't help I just lost a five star tank the other day so the poor thing is back at 0 exp and this late in the campaign such units usually end up dying before they can regain any sort of decent level of experience. Looking forward to seeing how you fare Jobbo as you get further and further along.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
How's the campaign going been a few days since we last saw, not complaining as it is your LP just wondering as I have taken a break from my own the Soviets really tore up my armour units last battle and most of them are now at 0 xp again and I am trying to decide if I should continue or start over and make sure I have reserve units this time.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Ow the British are really pouring on the pressure against you. Seeing as how I am facing similar situations in my fight against the Soviets I feel for you. Hope your fight is going better than mine.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Well, its not a direct one-to-one conversion. Actually, I don't think a unit's size compared to real-life counterparts is ever expanded upon.

I'd say we've killed at least 50 of the buggers by now.

I'm really glad I chose to fight the French instead of the British now, even on an easier difficulty it would have likely been annoying fighting those Matilda tanks. I wonder what exactly the change in difficulty does in this game.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Its easy to check, just select the difficulty and then click on the advanced tab. It will show the sliders and values for that difficulty.

For example, the easiest difficulty (Sergeant) is:
-Player prestige 200%
-Enemy prestige 50%
-Player experience 200%
-Enemy experience 50%
-Number of additional turns: 5
-AI Strength: -5
-AI Level: 0

To expand upon AI levels, I found this some time ago from here

You can't see it but I am currently mashing my head against the wall at how stupid my question was. I already knew the answer but asked anyway like an idiot. Anyway that bit on AI levels is useful though now I have a real sense of dread for the higher difficulties. I am currently about halfway or so in 44' west and my gains and battles have gone from tough but doable against the soviets to having to fight and claw to get the decisive victories. I can see me having to go for marginal victories shortly.

Also I hope this isn't classed as a spoiler but it seems the later campaigns objectives for decisive victories are more in depth than grab all objectives of the earlier campaigns, though it still uses that one a lot at times.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jobbo_Fett posted:

The DLC campaigns, apart from the Grand Campaign, all do a better job at varying the objectives. Its a shame too, because the grand campaign should really be a thing available for every faction/nation.

The later year grand campaign missions are pretty great for different objectives as well it seems. You planning to go all the way to 45'?

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I just finished the last mission of East 45' and I want to show something from the end of the final mission alas no spoilers means I likely can't for ages. Never been bothered by such a thing till now haha. Anyway I shall keep this screenshot for now and see what comes of it.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Assault the beaches of Dunkirk and drive them back into the sea (though I kind of want to see the other option as well as I chose Dunkirk in my campaign). Also at least the Somua died early on and has plenty of chance to regain experience. When I was finishing 45' East my second to last battle had me start with over half my force with 0 experience due to an absolute horrible series of firefights which I only won by sacrificing half my force so the other half could regroup and form a defense line.

I lost so many units in those two battles including three infantry squads from the very first mission of the campaign. :negative:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Hey good to see you back Jobbo hope life is going okay for you. I'm still hear and following just this last campaign in the west is really putting me off the game. I mean the idea is cool for it but the execution is so mind numbing and frustrating.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I vote B the naval invasion if only because I already had a go with the aerial invasion and would like to see the naval invasion.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Nicely done, doing great with the LP. I need to get back into the game and finish the final campaign but this last campaign is a great idea but a horrible execution still good luck with the rest of the game.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Yeah I find the Russian missions are one massive slow grind after another, you usually have the advantage in terms of experience and equipment but the sheer numbers that they keep throwing at you causes many many problems I hope you can avoid the mistakes I made where I had to sacrifice a number of experienced units to get the decisive victories which meant I was using zero experienced units by the ends of the campaigns.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I admit I am playing this on the easiest difficulty so no idea how effective this might be at higher levels but right now I am playing the Afrika Corps campaign and my strategy is that any towns/concentrations of infantry I encounter I bypass with my armour destroying any enemy tanks/artillery where I find them and advance on. meanwhile I bring up some mobile artillery and flame tank, bombard and suppress the infantry and then take them out with the flame tank. This still causes losses among the flame tank as even infantry hurt my flame tank but it does avoid the tank being hit by enemy tanks.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Thefluffy posted:

Not very effective at all. you are aware that the easiest mode gimps all enemy units by 5 strength right?

Well that explains my confusion with what I have seen while playing and what Jobbo has seen. Oh this makes my losses I suffered so much more humiliating.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Engblad posted:

Lets not explicitely break orders from our Chain of Command. Lets A. Stay our ground. Soon enough the Bolshevik menace will fall anyways.

Also upgradr our CAS? Yes! 1. The Lutfwaffe must be the most technologically advanced airforce in the world!

Engblad you will want to go with B then as A choice is ignoring orders and advancing,

I say we can ignore these orders, we can take Moscow before the reds can stop us and then retreat if needed. So option A.

As for our glorious Luftwaffe we should go with option 1. Our superior technology shall devastate the reds.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
So I recently had to play the whole grand campaign again after my PC stopped working for some unknown reason and I decided to not be as much a wuss as last time and went one difficulty up from the easiest and oh haha am I so bad at this game and Jobbo you are making amazing progress. I am barely getting the decisive victories and I have lost a fair few units already.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Upgrade everything. We will have no more talk about technical and mechanical issues, they are not real and nothing more than Allied propaganda spread by spies.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Thanks for keeping this going Jobbo still reading and following along. You are doing well, I think my problem was being over zealous in running forward with units to scout and getting them shot to shreds.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Ouch that looks like quite a few reinforcements the soviets have there. Nice to see my unit picking p that movement bonus should prove handy. Plus even with those reinforcements you can always make yourself feel better by reminding yourself at least it isn't urban fighting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
A) New toys for everybody. Except the Russians.