Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
This game is chockablock with pro wrestling references: Dingaling is obviously a big fan of fake fighting as well.
Only one I spotted this time around (and this could just as easily be a Tupac shoutout) was that dying man who had to get something off his chest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
You already spotted the Hulkster (who I guess never got over the whole Vice thing) but he isn't the only wrassler hanging around.
As well as a pretty obvious luchador in Rage, Eagle and his friend are Hawk and Animal, The Road Warriors/Legion of Doom (what a rush!)
I also figure Olan's surname comes from Hoyt Archery.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I'm not sure about the orphan-burning scene. It's funny, but I kind of feel like it skews the game's moral compass for a throwaway gag.

On the wrestlemen side of things, Skip Dreamer is probably named after fellow bat enthusiast Tommy Dreamer.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
I can't say I'm a big fan of Fardy's entire character. I understand the game's tone, but I'm still uncomfortable about how he's presented. I don't know.

Also: Steel Blackman? More like Steve.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Especially considering the gym is just 100% wrestling references - you got Macho Man, Dolph Ziggler, Too Cool, Ric Flair and more.
I don't think it would be overly presumptuous to guess that Dingaling's a fan.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
It's gotta be more of the Fishmans.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
Lisa: The First is to The Painful as the Earthbound Halloween hack is to Undertale.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
He is indeed, while Hawk Hollywood is Ric Flair with a little Dusty Rhodes thrown in at the end there.

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
RE: Death Grips

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
The fanart that Austin retweets varies a lot in quality, but this was too good to pass by.

"oh boy i can't believe "paper lisa" was announced for the nintendo switch" from here.

• Locked thread