Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Mazed posted:

Screw the stuff. Save the dude.

So. When I first saw some snatches of this game, I was seriously unimpressed with the over-the-top cynicism and all-around unpleasantness, as I tend to be with that which tries far too hard to be "edgy", and what seems like a sophomoric attempt to hammer it in further by aping the styles of a charming (and weird) game about childhood. There's also the way it looks to use the premise of "no more females" to grab at a particular section of the internet audience which feeds on the perception of women as an incomprehensible "other". Like, "/b/: The RPG" would not be an inaccurate alt title.

That said, the negative impression came about before and knowing that "Earthbound-alike" is apparently a subgenre of indie games in and of itself. :v: (yeah Undertale does look kind of amazing) And also, well, not playing Lisa and not seeing the whole thing through to decide if it's got a worthwhile point to it. In any case, there's probably something genuinely positive to be said in dedication to creating a setting that looks this unpleasant.

So hell, let's see where this goes.

Yeah, there's all that, but it's actually really good because the developer is smart and funny instead of being a creep.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grbt_JytZSg

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Save Terr Berr btw.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Ilustforponydeath posted:

I wonder if the writers shied away from including women due to not wanting to upset anyone too much.

The writer didn't include women because the last of the human race being unable to reproduce is a big deal.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I cant get enough of Terry reclining luxuriously in the battle screen. Never send him away.

And yeah, I too didnt give this game much thought beyond "oh boy i bet this is sooo real and edgy to a 12 year old". Clearly I was wrong. Forgive me, Dingaling.

If you want forgiveness you must sacrifice.
/

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The pain mode ending is definitely worth it, and restricted saves aren't even a factor if you know the game well enough.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The best bio.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Also, VoD missed the best ending to Fishman Court, which you can see in Slowbeef's vid:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugejZEUNjzg

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Samovar posted:

I take it there is NO way to defeat Demon X at all when you first see him?

Also, the White houses are indeed creepy.

When the game first came out you could make him cry round 1 to reduce his accuracy then hit him with a bunch of poison and bleed status effects, which deal percentage damage over time. I think you got a little message calling you a cheater for beating him then the cutscene continued on the same.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Smornstein posted:

I've been wondering is the Russian Roulette minigame just a coin toss for every party member or do some have different percentages than others? If it's just a coin toss couldn't you, theoretically, just save scum until you win everything?

It's a d6 roll, every time it rolls a 1 or a 2 the character dies.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JkoVIfTJZxI

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

RabidWeasel posted:

Brad is simultaneously both metal as gently caress and pathetic as gently caress, it's pretty impressive actually.

It's why I said earlier in the thread that this is the best bio:

You know the incredibly bleak acoustic riff that got a lot of use this update? That's Brad's theme:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lkDo4cTuSTc

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The nipple choice is probably my favorite in the game. It seems so clear cut and easy, but then you start to think. What are the lives of 3 party members worth in a game where you have 30? What does all of this matter if you're going to injure Lisa? You already destroyed an orphanage, a construction site, and the food supply of a community of people just to see her. This is Brad's second chance, will Birdie ever get one? Or Olan?

On my first playthrough, I killed all 3 party members and then questioned Buzzo. This was on an earlier patch, too, when mutants used their instant death moves much more commonly. Every time I fought one, I basically expected to lose a party member. I don't seem to get why people in the thread think it's a bullshit choice, the Russian Roulette game only spells out the fact that these people are an expendable currency in a bleak, lawless world. I made it through this section with like two or three incredibly underleveled guys back from area 1, no arms, and no items, and I had to use absolutely everything to survive the next hub. Because that's the kind of game this is. Difficulty is not bullshit, especially if it's a logical consequence of your actions.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ChairMaster posted:

I think one woman and basically unlimited men works pretty much fine for repopulation.

Most people will die before you have a stable population size and then you're left with a bunch of siblings.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Pittsburgh Lambic posted:

Spoilers: Upon discovering that she's so special and precious to the world, Buddy flees into the wasteland and prepares to rule the Earth as its princess. The ending of LISA is an animated FMV music video reminiscent of Let It Go in which Buddy dances around and sings in ecstasy as the men around her mutate horribly, their bodies twisting and weaving together into a towering Disney castle of undulating flesh and wide, vacant smiles.

This is accurate to the plot of The Joyful.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Amazing

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

ArcadePark posted:

That describes something else completely. Modernism is more about Minimailism, Abstract expression, and forgoing frills and tradition for a more pratical design. It isn't about following one truth or format. That's more of a different philosophy all together.

Post-Modernism isn't about pointless nor fruitlessness in anything. That is more closer to Nihimism, which is about life having no meaning, purpose, intrinstic value or the Truth in it.

Post-modernism is more about skepticism of formality. It is about making sure you ask the right question that no one bothered to ask, rather then having the right answer, and solving the question, thus creating a new and creative solution. I'm saying Undertale is more post-modernism because it asks the question "Why should combat be the main mode of RPGs?". It's a good question that's been asked, but no game bothered to actually answer it meaningfully. Undertale does it through both Narrative and Mechanics. It is rather simple, rudimentary and linear, but it does pose questions about the "Combat" option in most RPGs.

In Lisa, Combat is the only expected option, like most RPGs. Doing anything else only procastines your progress in the narrative. If anything, the drug-induced hallucinations boderlines Modernism, as it delves more and more into Brad's abstract thoughts, which Modernist Literature happens to do. This happens to be one of Lisa's strengths as well.

Modernism and Post-modernism may sound similar, but that's because it really is that similar. It isn't actually direct opposite movements of each other.

Personally I feel like Mega64's magnum opus Doug Huggem is the most post-modern video game for questioning violence in games first.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

thevoiceofdog posted:

Yeah we really haven't gotten too much characterization out of Buddy yet, aside from the last episode, and there's a lot more we haven't seen yet.

Also to reiterate, for people who are not sure: I am going to finish this LP. And Joyful. Just... not right now.

Lock the thread till you're back IMO.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Don't forget about the people who save and repost Rare Pepes, ruining their value for the rest of us.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Austin just posted this.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

https://a.pomf.cat/uqfhhv.webm

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Rangpur posted:

Look, life in a post-apocalyptic wasteland requires serious men to make serious decisions. If you can't handle that, then go back to Russia, hippie.

Why would you tell him to go back to a post-apocalyptic wasteland?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

If only there was some kind of helpful tutorial character who learned a huge damage fire attack to combo with gasoline spit to trivialize fights.

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

A good poster posted:

The opponent went through all six chambers before Nern blew his brains out. Does the game cheat at Russian Roulette in Pain mode? I would have had it so your bullet can go into chambers 1-5 in Pain mode.

Nern: This gun has seven bullets. You can't fool me old man, I'm a professional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Plus that entire level is about election fraud and the scene has the vice president asking you to kill the president.
Hi :nsa:

• Locked thread