Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«141 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Waci
May 30, 2011

Let me axe you just one question.

C, Yes, G, No, H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009



1. A
2. Yes. The Party needs some rest, relaxation and entertainment.
3. E. But insist on taking them back. Dress them up in completely adorable jester gear and offer cute fluffy hugs for money.
4. Yes
5. H

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Scary Stories Told to Strangers

Try as you might, there is no escaping the clutches of the Old Man, and rather than let yourself be pestered for a day and a night, you relent and let him tell you his tale.
Through spittle, odd dialect and slightly offensive triads, you can almost piece together a coherent story. Almost. What follows is a transliteration.


“Let me tell you the tale!” “A tale of untold woe!!”
“A tale of a beast for young and for ole!”

“I used to be a strapping young lad, don't you see?
Six foot five, with arms like a tree!
Me and my mates where the talks of the town!
Wherever we went, not a person would frown!

So once on a bet we travelled afar,
to the marches where slimes where gathered from tar
When with a horrible stench and a horrible lurch,
and a stare that could send brave men off to church,
In a casket, no less! Because they would die.
Out from the bog it rose with a terrible cry!

With a face like a horse and a body of brine!
It stumbled around and broke all our minds!
From a strapping young lad, to the man you see now!
Reduced to this state, I fled like a cow!

When I came back with a mob and an army
No trace was left, they thought I was barmy!

Please prove them wrong! Yet I have nothing to offer!
Except my undying pledge to you and your coffers!”

You stare at him slackjawed. Your whole party is covered in spittle and you feel slightly ill at ease having had such an animated conversation within a thousand mile radius of your casket full of FOOF back at home.

---

As the village prepares for the Festival, you store your valuables and prepare your troupé and horses for serious transport. You have a larder to acquire, and you set to your task with due diligence.
You spend considerable time debating with yourself the legality of your actions, and conclude that you should 'donate' at least the mutton back to the the townspeople of Sockne since it was technically theirs to begin with.
The gathered fruit, fish and vegetables are probably fair game for you to keep, however, and still presents a sizeable foodstock.
The trip back and forth takes most of the day, but if you are to have any hope of keeping the owlbear cubs it was probably worth it.
[Gain: ½ Owlbear larder]

---

Harvest Moon
Month 2, Week Three, Day One.




Only the sudden influx of meat saves the Harvest Festival from being completely underwhelming. The people, tired from long days of hard work and long nights of fearful slumber where ill prepared for the festivities,
even if they tried their best. ITEC is of course the highlight of the day, with many a young lad and lass offering to dance or bout with the “Heroes of Sockne” as they have come to calling you.

One in particular catches your attention, the girl from the inn. She approaches you some time into the festivities and begs a moment of your time.


“Inkeeping is pretty boring work honestly. What you did, killing those monsters and pretty much saving the town? That sounds much more interesting. And well-paying. I saw that reward. I want in! “ She states flatly, hands on her hips.
“And don't think I’m a weakling because I tend bars; villagers get rowdy when the ale flows.” She continues before you can get a word in edgewise.
" I've beaten my fair share of roughnecks with a broom, fended of thieves with a well thrown chair. I'll pull my weight, don't you worry. Names Abigail. Don't forget it and I won't forget you.”

She stares at you with hard eyes for a few seconds, much rougher than her innocent demeanour from before would have suggested.

---

The owlbear cubs do much to soothe the frightened children of Sockne, with their hoots and purrs and fluffy bodies the perfect temperature for hugging.

---



The festival concludes at midnight with a Grand Sacrifice, overseen by the local pastor, a man by the name of Geghard Mads affiliated with the faith of Toil.
He praises the villagers for their hard work and presents the ripest batch of Bad Duck Rice(TM) to his deity along with a living sheep and a few precious heirlooms thrown in for good measure.
Everyone present feels a warmth descend upon them and you all feel slightly better for having attended, some minor cuts and bruises spontaneously healing in the glow of the night-time fire.



You sail into dreamland, followed by the soft hooting of your charges. Tomorrow you head off to Grüw.

1:
The Old Man is adamant in his conviction and begs you to heed his call. He is offering his eternal service to your cause in exchange for dealing what has been dubbed a scary marsh horse. Most of Sockne questions his sanity.
No one else has seen or even heard of the monster, aside from what The Old Man has told them time and time again.
Do you take the time out of your day to follow his fool errand?
A: Yes! Let's go hunting! [+01 Old Man Party Member. Will work for essentially free.]
B: No, not right now at least. His pretend monster probably isn't going anywhere.

2:
Abigail the Inkeepers Daughter is a young duck-lady interested in joining up.
She fights with a staff or improvised weaponry, at least according to what she told you.
She expect a regular salary of [01 Wealth] per month and her share of the spoils and glory, just as all the other members of ITEC do. She will work the first two weeks (til the end of this month) for free to prove herself.
C: Yes
D: No

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “Toil is friend to the diligent worker, he approves of our handling, no doubt. Be proud, cousin.” “And get yer head checked, whilst yer at it.”

Tommy: “Ain't no stoppin' a man that convicted, he will rage til' the day he dies. Mark my words. It may sound daft, but I reckon he's seen something. Stranger things than horses lurk in The Forest, after all.”

Khami: “Wisdom comes from drunkards and youth; yet Dementia is a common ailment of the old.”

Johakim: “This larder will help, make no mistake. But we still need someone to take care of the lil' critters, mayheps the duckling can sort things out?”

Skvababt: Another young lady on our travels? Mhmm, what joyful times lay ahead of us, Mr. Ironscript? The things we could accomplish together! Oh yes, bring her aboard.”

Owlbear Cubs: “Hoot Hoot!” (Yay, food!)

Konnie: "Stupid “Owlbears!!!!”

---

[ITEC Summary]
Morale is improving (slowly).
Your crew is mostly healthy and well fed. Moreso than earlier.
Your owlbear cubs are adequately fed and wont be eating into your rations.
Your horses are overburdened, increasing travel time.
Your equipment is lacking, putting one fighter out of commission and severely hampering two.
You have [013 Wealth] to your name and owe [013 Wealth] in salaries and upkeep by the end of the month.
You have enough rations to make it to Grüw without issue, or to Braav with some rationing.

As usual you may question anyone in town or in your party about anything your heart desires, or suggest plans other than the ones outlined in the vote.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at Dec 28, 2015 around 15:19

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



BC

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

B: Just as I rejected that orcelf on grounds of mental unstability, so will I reject this one.

C: Why not? Seems like a good housekeeping and utility character. And as Johakim kind of hinted at, she is probably the best suited for taking care of those dead weight furballs that we are lugging along. Besides, if she sucks, we can just dump her back into the village after her trial period.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006



Grimey Drawer

Modified A: We need to finish some business before we can go hunting for the thing. You can join us to find your monster the next time we stop into town.
C

Waci
May 30, 2011

Let me axe you just one question.

C

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


B
C

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

B: The thing he thinks he saw was probably a kelpie. Tell him we'll need specialized tools before we hunt his beast. Notably a bridle marked with holy symbols. As backups we'd need powdered silver for our weapons and oil for quickly setting a hot fire. If we manage to gather all of that, we'd then have to search for a human with hoofs or water plants in their hair, or a horse with backward hooves. If it's saddled, you cut the saddle off. If it isn't, you try to get the holy bridle into its mouth. If neither is an option, you stab it with heated weapons dusted with silver.

C: Sure, why not. She's got two weeks to prove she can hack it. If she can't pull her own weight by then, either she gets the boot or hires on as a non-combat role for a steady wage with no hunt share.

Tran fucked around with this message at Dec 30, 2015 around 01:28

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Given what happened with the owl bear I'm convinced the only special equipment we'll ever need again is a small catapult, a small barrel filled with scrap metal and a jar of foof.

Replace scrap metal with cold iron, holy symbols of every known God, silver, blessed silver, wooden stakes, another bottle of foof and/or powdered sulfur compounds as the situation requires.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009



1. B Let's finish other things first, then come back to the poor old man.
2. Yes, for now. Give her the two weeks to see if she's up to snuff. Also make her train the olwbears.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012


Tran posted:

B: The thing he thinks he saw was probably a kelpie. Tell him we'll need specialized tools before we hunt his beast. Notably a bridle marked with holy symbols. As backups we'd need powdered silver for our weapons and oil for quickly setting a hot fire. If we manage to gather all of that, we'd then have to search for a human with hoofs or water plants in their hair, or a horse with backward hooves. If it's saddled, you cut the saddle off. If it isn't, you try to get the holy bridle into its mouth. If neither is an option, you stab it with heated weapons coated dusted with silver.

C: Sure, why not. She's got two weeks to prove she can hack it. If she can't pull her own weight by then, either she gets the boot or hires on as a non-combat role for a steady wage with no hunt share.

This sounds like a sound plan. However, half share until she is trained or proves herself. Right now she's a burden. If she can prove otherwise, that'll increase her share.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Grüward bound
Month 2, Week Three, Day Two


With the help of your latest companion, Abigail the Duck and the rest of ITEC, you pack your supplies and head off to Grüw first thing in the morning.
Or you would, but find that Konnie is missing; again although it doesn’t take that long to find him.

When pressed for his whereabouts he just mentions he was 'signing a few contracts' and winks at you most disturbingly. Skvababt is quick to give him a high five for reasons you cannot ascertain. The rest of the group finds this highly amusing.
You and Kvelar share a shrug. Non-dwarveven customs are strange, sometimes.

A few early morning hours thusly wasted, you bid adieu to the town of Sockne. The Old Man looks sad to see you go, but you take care to explain to him that you might (might) take him up on his 'Quest' on the way back. This seems to brighten his day immensely.

---

You try to foist the care of the owlbears cubs on Abigail, but she protests that although they are cute, animals where never really her thing. Sure, she fed the horses at the Inn a few times but that’s hardly the same.
It seems the further away from Sockne she gets, the more feisty and independent she becomes. Before the first day of travel is over, she has already bruised Johakim slightly in sparring.
Still, she isn't completely unreliable and does eventually agree to look after the cubs but “only until the fighting starts!”

---

The journey is uneventful being mostly uphill and in increasingly rougher terrain. Here and there you see goats grazing, content with their lot. On a whim, you ask your group if anyone knows how to gender owlbear cubs, but you are met with a wall of empty stares.
You decide to look them over yourself but between their bewildered hooting at your sudden invasion of their privacy and your insufficient mastery of ornithology you must admit yourself defeated. You have no idea, but guess it will become apparent in time?



The first night is spent under rocky outcroppings, listening to distant bleets and nearby hoots. It is peaceful, in a way, even if the outdoor temperature drops steadily with each passing day into winter.

---

Month 2, Week Three, Day Three
Most of the day is spent riding, with but a few moment spared for eating and rest. You travel as far as your horses can take you, but are forced to take shelter sometime after mid-day due to the worsening weather.
Fog drifts in across the mountain, and as the night falls so do the first few flakes of snow.

---

Month 2, Week Three, Day Four




Grüw stretches before you, claiming the mountain as solidly as your unshakeable faith in numbers. A solitary bridge (that has seen better days) spans a deep chasm, serving as the only real entryway to the city.
To attack it would be folly, but who would dream of such in this united world of yours? Well, there are rumours of war, but they are just that, merely rumours. Grüw has more pressing issues at the moment, such as the recent trouble at their mines.

Your party is quickly met by a dwarf wearing a tabard of the local heraldry. He greets you with the thickest accent you have ever heard, with a voice rougher than whiskey gravel.
“State your business. “

You explain as best as you are able, showing him your documentation and he lets you through with a gruff: “More of ye? Vell, alrieght, vilkom to Grüw.”

Compared to Sockne, this mountain city is a bustling metropolis even if in actuality it isn't much larger than Braav, yet the mood is dampened and lowkey, some might say worried.
The guards seem on edge and the few people (mostly dwarves) you see milling about in the open look tired and hurried.

You stop a random passer-by and ask about the other crew that came through. They tell you they heard the priest mention them, pointing the way to the local Chapel.
A large stone building dominating the city centre, only surpassed in size by the fortress itself. Figuring talking to the chaplain is your best bet for information, you head on over.


Kuno Reinhart appears to be his name, and he greets you slightly more warmly than the other Grüwians you have run into so far.
“Ah yes, hunters from Braav appeared a few days ago, headed straight for the mines. I daresay they should be back by now? The mines are only a couple of hours away, a day at most with a fully loaded cart.”

---

Some time later you have checked into one of the many inns in town, and spread your net wide for gossip.
You quickly learn there is a bounty posted by the local lord for the 'swift and merciless slaughter of a a flurry of yetis', that have been harassing the populace the last few seasons.
Bring their severed, lifeless heads, to his chamberlain and be substantially reimbursed.

---

1:
Your rations are quickly refilled for a pittance of cash, yet not so easily does one restock lost equipment. You are down a horse and am now in need of another one for your latest recruit.
You need weapons and armour and some basic utilities if you are to have any hope of succeeded in future battles.
Grüw is large enough to provide these essential services, but how do you spend your wealth? It should be noted that for the armour at least, you have backups of inferior quality back at headquarters.
As a reminder, you currently have [013 Wealth] and owe [013 Wealth] in wages and upkeep at the end of the month. Vote for as many or as few of the below options as you wish.

A: Two new adequate non-combat work-horses, the same as the ones you lost. [-01 Wealth] [Removes movement penalties, increases morale.]
B: Armour repairs for Kvelar and Tommy, as well as a restocking of supplies. [-01 Wealth] [Removes minor penalties to performance, as well as enabling them to fight whilst protected once more.]
C: Two new sets of leather armour for your new recruit and to replace the one that was lost. [-02 Wealth]

---

2:
Konnie wants/needs a new pair of daggers. But he won't make do with just any old knife, they need to be of superior quality or better.
He'd actually like them custom-crafted, lightweight and fitted with the softest leather and forged from the finest metals in the land, but understands on some level that this might not be possible at the moment.
Still, if he is to fight he needs a weapon. How much do you spend on it?

D: He will have to make do with regular old daggers! We are on a budget here. [-00 Wealth]
E: I suppose we can afford to give him something that has at least seen the inside of a forge. [-01 Wealth]
F: What's the best on offer? We'll take two of those! [-02 Wealth]
G: He deserves nothing but the best! Custom-order something from the best smith in town. [-?? Wealth – Encounter with a Smith – A custom order will take some time.

---

3:
What about Abigail? You think you could extrapolate her broomsduckswomanship into the less esoteric field of spears or quarterstaves. She is a bit too short to effectively wield a Pike or a Halebard and axes seem to cumbersome as well.
Her young age and fiery nature makes her an open book for most weaponry her size, and she has no preference beyond what she has already shown.
You figure anything expensive is probably a waste at the moment, but you could get her something sharp for a reasonable price.

H: Quarterstaff will do! [-00 Wealth]
I: A Spear is Best! [-00 Wealth]
J: Something else? Write-in. [-00 to -01 Wealth, depending on rarity etc.]

---

4:
Grüw is a a large town or small city, even if current events has brought down everyone’s morale. There are people, shops, a chapel and even a fortress here. The City tempts you with it's many sights. Someone or something in particular catches your attention, but what?
K: Write-in.

---

5:
It seems the group of youngsters who went here before you is already on their way to the mines, or have they already been there and left? Or worse, been there and failed? Or is that better?
The happenings at the Mines of Grüw are a mystery to you still. Do you wish to investigate? Or do you wish to pursue the lead on the Yetis? Or none of the above?
L: To the Mines!
M: To the Yetis!
N: Back to Braav!
O: Something else? Write-in.

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “Tis good ter be back in Dwarven lands. Breath deep ye the mountain air, cousin, it ken only do ye well.”
Tommy: “More than yetis in these hills, bandits, goats, maybe worse.”
Khami: “Be wary, lest the treasures of the earth brings forth the vilest monster, Greed.”
Konnie: ^”That's crazy talk. Let's go to the mine and take everything that isn't nailed down. Finders keepers.”
Johakim: “Be careful what you say brother, lest some outsider hear you plot!”
Konnie: “Hrmph. Stupid owlbears.”
Skvababt: 'Why not stay a while and take in the, mhm, sights, of this new city? What wonders it could show us, oh yes.”
Abigail: When do we get to kill stuff? Can I have a staff? C'mon!
Owlbear Cubs: Hoot Hoot! (Hug us close!)

---

[ITEC Summary]
Morale is improving.
Your crew is healthy and well fed.
Your rationes are well-stocked.
Your horses are overburdened, increasing travel time.
Your equipment is lacking, putting one fighter out of commission and severely hampering two.
You have [013 Wealth] to your name and owe [013 Wealth] in salaries and upkeep by the end of the month. The date is currently month 2, week three, day four.

---

Remember folks, Grüw is a city full of people. You may ask anyone you've met in town so far any questions you'd like, as well as anyone in your party or anyone that could reasonably live in a city such as this, any question you desire.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


A, B
D
H
?
M
*hug the owlbear cubs

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



1. AB
2. G: Negotiate to deduct some from his pay. He gets to own the weapon.
3. J: Trident shape like a broom.
4. K: OH, it's the explosive gnome recruit!
5. M

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Right guys, we need to pay 13 wealth at the end of the month. Meaning that we have 3 days left. If we buy stuff now, we need to earn back the cost almost immediately.


1:
No need for horses yet in my opinion. We take only a minor morale hit, and we are not traveling far away from Grüw because otherwise we won't make it in time.

B, because our frontliners need to be well protected during any mission.

The leather armor is too expensive.

2:

Nyaa posted:

G: Negotiate to deduct some from his pay. He gets to own the weapon.
This, I suppose.

Get him the somewhat non-sucky knives (E) otherwise.

3:
She says she is good with staves, but to be honest I'm not quite sold on her usefulness. Give her a spear (I) instead, since a sharp stick is always good to have and less likely to be completely ineffectual than a blunt one.

4:
K: An old explorer sharing his knowledge and stories of the World to an audience. Ask him questions about other nearby areas we haven't been to, as well as something about Eastmarsh.

5:
M: I'd rather take the yetis, since I don't want to risk our party against the mine monster that has managed to wipe out the caravan guards and most likely the other hunters as well. Especially not in our guild's dismal state supply wise. Also, we know what we're up against, which is always a huge plus.

Ask around and study about yetis. How to best beat yetis, and how dangerous they usually are etc. How many in this particular flurry? If that is unknown, how many are there usually?

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!


Realize the cubs are not for us and sell them if they'll cover our expenses and then some.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Theantero posted:

Right guys, we need to pay 13 wealth at the end of the month. Meaning that we have 3 days left. If we buy stuff now, we need to earn back the cost almost immediately.

Correction; One week and three days. All of week four needs to pass before the next month begins!
I know, that confused me as well.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Toughy posted:

Realize the cubs are not for us and sell them if they'll cover our expenses and then some.

Yes this!

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Correction; One week and three days. All of week four needs to pass before the next month begins!
I know, that confused me as well.



Yeah. I suppose we are not that strapped for time then after all.

Ms. Happiness
Aug 26, 2009



1. C
2. E. I'm for negotiating taking money from his pay as well.
3. H. Let's see if she's useful at all.
4. I'd like to have a sit down with Abigail and actually see what she knows/what she can do. Maybe relax at a local tavern for a day to improve moral and get to know everyone better as well. Learn the local gossip.
5. L

I'm all for selling at least some of the owlbears. We need the money.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010



Toughy posted:

Realize the cubs are not for us and sell them if they'll cover our expenses and then some.
Try and sell the cubs, yes

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Then you remember. You have a message to send.

Something everyone must know.

You have the power. You have the means.

Let it be known.




Toughy posted:

Realize the cubs are not for us and sell them if they'll cover our expenses and then some.

This. The cost for caring and maintaining them are going to get out of hand when we are still trying to get ourselves settled here.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012


Abigail likes sparring. How does she fight? Fists? Spiked gauntlets maybe. Does she prefer to be lightly armored? Bow, perhaps. Maybe a glaive of some kind, to keep her safe as she learns. I'd say giving her input makes it more likely she'd devote herself to learning the weapon.


As for the owlbears. If we can get them gendered, sell one of the duplicates!

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Wentley posted:

Abigail likes sparring. How does she fight? Fists? Spiked gauntlets maybe. Does she prefer to be lightly armored? Bow, perhaps. Maybe a glaive of some kind, to keep her safe as she learns. I'd say giving her input makes it more likely she'd devote herself to learning the weapon.

This was actually addressed in one of the updates:

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

2:
Abigail the Inkeepers Daughter is a young duck-lady interested in joining up.
She fights with a staff or improvised weaponry, at least according to what she told you.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012


DOH! I'm a doof, sorry.

Then I say go with the polearm.

Waci
May 30, 2011

Let me axe you just one question.

A, B, C, F, M, H.

Do not sell owlbears yet. We can consider selling one or more later if the yeti job and the mines and whatever we find here wouldn't leave us in the black at the end of the month.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Secret Art: Toxic Crotch Whirlwind!

Sell the Owlbears

They're going to either get everyone killed due to splitting party attention while on a job, or they'll eat ITEC to bankruptcy or kill everyone once they hit puberty. Surely there's some kind of exotic animal dealer or something in Gruw. Ask around and see who's interested.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

On Yetis and Daggers.

Theantero posted:

Ask around and study about yetis. How to best beat yetis, and how dangerous they usually are etc. How many in this particular flurry? If that is unknown, how many are there usually?



"Tis something strange about this story, Cousin...
Ya see; Yetis keep mostly ta themselves, livin' high in da mountains in tight-knit groups. Ta be harassin townsfolk and suchlike? Nae, they wouldn'a harm a soul lest it wander to deep into their sacred grounds and hidden territories. Somethin must be rustlin them fiercelike.'

"As fer what they're like, ach, Tall as a big man or a small tree I suppose? Abominable strength, but sluggish, yet never tiring. Da snow presents no obstacle, despite their weight. Groups range from two ta seven or nineish, before they split off ta form another tribe.
Can't 'ave ta many of them in the same spot yasee, on accounting fer der size. I think dey eat mostly goats? And plants and suchlike, whatever they can find. They have some intelligence, but 'tis an alien sort, concerned mostly 'bout their own strange rituals."

"How do I know this? Och, I fought one long ago, gave me this scar." Kvelar points to one of the many scars adoring his face. "I gave him another."
"We fought a while and then we jus' stopped. Heart wasn't in it, I s'pose. He was only protectin' what was his, I had no business there."

Nyaa posted:

2. G: Negotiate to deduct some from his pay. He gets to own the weapon.

This is a popular vote this round so I want to address an issue with it.
One of the many perks of running your own guild is that you can throw around much larger resources than a single individual could hope to obtain, at least quickly.
The salaries you pay (will pay) your men go mostly to the costs of living, perhaps some spare utilities and entertainment, and is in any case theirs to spend as they wish.
They might choose to save up for a big specialized purchase but this will probably take a while or need higher wages to occur with any regularity.

Consider the following: Konnie has been working and fighting for you for two months, risking his life on several occasions.
Buying a new pair of decent daggers would cost him everything he has yet to get from you, and more if his tastes are any indication, leaving him with a net gain of nothing for two months of high-risk work.
Is this a precedent you want to set?

Most of your recruits thus far have come with their own equipment, it's true, and that trend is likely to continue as you have to offer something to be a viable candidate.
But it is safe to assume that they expect the Guild to provide for them the tools they need to get the job done, beyond what they bring with them themselves.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at Jan 1, 2016 around 17:27

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



Yes, elect Konnie for president 2016.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

No. Thinking about it a bit more, it would be a massive blow for morale if our employees were to learn that they cannot trust us to cover their material losses during missions. A very bad precedent too, and certainly something that is bound to drive away others who might want to work for us.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Theantero posted:

No. Thinking about it a bit more, it would be a massive blow for morale if our employees were to learn that they cannot trust us to cover their material losses during missions. A very bad precedent too, and certainly something that is bound to drive away others who might want to work for us.

Yeah This

Waci
May 30, 2011

Let me axe you just one question.

Re-stating my vote to buy him daggers.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Here's hoping we can pawn those cubs for enough money to buy all the stuff we're missing and a nice enough pair of daggers too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006



Grimey Drawer

NO to the precedent

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009

Chakh'mah Mush'lam Echad Rak

No to the precedent, buy him daggers

If we can't make the payment, we could always try to sell our services to the lender. Or send frog-lady to schmooze someone?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

A Day About Town

One of the many perks of running your own business is that you are able to delegate the more mundane tasks of your profession to one of your many employees.
Thus, whilst some of them go about procuring new armour and equipment to replace what was lost, you are free to take in the Sights and perhaps see to a new and better home for your precious owlbear cubs.

You decided to bring Abigail with you. As the newest recruit, she is still an unknown quantity and you figure this to be a good as opportunity as any to get to know her a bit better.
The two of you spend some time talking about the animals in your care, about fighting and monsters in general. She seems genuine in her desire to work for you, but offers no special insight into your current leads.
You get her a decent-quality quarterstaff, tipped with iron, for which she is grateful. Much better than a broom, at least. Even if she lacks the raw brawn of someone like Tommy, it can probably be used to bruise and harass.

The next stop the two of you make is a tavern, for indeed, what better place to gather information? The Bartender, a sleepy looking dwarf of indeterminate age, barely nods as you enter.



The roaring fire is just about the only thing alive about the place. What few customers there are stare deeply into mugs of ale or other drink, muttering quietly about their own laments.
You shrug and are about to leave when you see a familiar face, half floating, half falling down the stairs with a pair of what looks like wooden wings.



1:
Axi Meyer. This gnome-tinkerer was amongst your first batch of candidates for recruitment, yet you passed her up for the brothers Loman and the mysterious Khami.
She seems to have found work elsewhere in her chosen field, and she tells you as much (though you still have trouble understanding her) when you lure her over to a table with promise of free drink.
She came to Grüw with the other group of monster hunters, but stayed behind when they went to the mines because by her own admittance, she is of no use in a fight.

You may ask her anything!

2:
Konnie needs a new pair of daggers. You have decided to graciously pay for them out of ITECs budget, yet you still haven’t decided how much of your ailing coffers to spend.
This is not a new vote, if you have already voted you do not need to do so again but if you do anyway, please state as such or say that you are changing your old vote.

A:
He will have to make do with regular old daggers. [-00 Wealth]
B: Decent-quality daggers. [-01 Wealth]
C: Fine-quality daggers. [-02 Wealth]
D: Custom-order something from the best smith in town. [-?? Wealth – Encounter with a Smith]

3:
You have decided to put the owlbear cubs up for sale. Whilst not much time has passed, these are the offers you have on hand thus far.
E: You passed a butcher, who offered to take them off your hands for free a free sausage.
F: Following on some previous advice from Skvababt, you enter a leatherworkers shop. The Owlcubs hoot in protest, but you let the Tanner examine them anyway.
In the end she tells you she might be able to turn them from cute, huggable babies into something more useful for a fighter such as yourself for a modest fee of [-02 wealth], such as a “fine quality owlbear hat.”
G: Axi Meyer regards the cubs with interest. She offers one of her inventions in exchange for all of the cubs. [Will lead to new vote]
H: Wait for more offers.
I: Wait for more offers, but send Konnie out to find them. He seems to have a a strange knack for such things.

Voting is closed for all other questions.

Party Thoughts:
Abigail: “No one is going to give you a serious offer for a couple of monsters in these parts. If you really want to sell them at a profit you need to travel to a larger city, such as the region capital, Karg, or to one of the larger holds in Eastmarch, far to the east of here. (Go Figure.)”
Owlbear cubs: "Hoot Hoot!" (Don't sell us, hug us!)

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003


1:

Worried about your new team not being back yet?

2:

B: Decent-quality daggers.


3:

I: Wait for more offers, but send Konnie out to find them. He seems to have a a strange knack for such things.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Hm. Since Konnie is lacking weaponry and apparently his armor too, I'd say that we actually might want him to sit this mission out and scout buyers for our cubs while the rest of us are out. The icy tundra is not the best place for a sneak anyway.

2: Changing my vote from 'E' to A. Let's not spend wealth on this for now, but let him know we'll invest in the daggers before taking him on a mission.

3: I. My reasoning for this is detailed above.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


3. I

Need better offers. If we need to hold onto them for now, so be it. Hold onto, as in hug them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jazzyhattrick
Jul 1, 2010

Screw you OP, ain't nobody gonna change my avatar.

I hug the cubs.

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«141 »