Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«141 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



I would give her a raise if we aren't low on budget.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003


kill the kobold, advance slowly through the mine

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


You did wanna be next big chief? You help us get rid of Egg and get humans back and we give you mine.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Descent
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Midnight




You gather your party and venture forth.
Kvelar in the lead with his shield at the ready, followed by Konnie and Khami. Skvababt leads the rear-guard, with Abigail and yourself, with Tommy at the very back, ready to pounce on anything that tries to sneak up on you.

The first few steps into the mine taken with great heed, as you know not what awaits you in it's cold depths.
Aside from lots and lots of Kobolds, of course. You suspect there to be devious and some not so devious traps, but for now suspect is all you can do.

You decided to bring several long poles with you, as well as a bag of rocks. The mine is, of course, full of small rocks, but it can never hurt to have them at hand.
Torches, oil, all the common supplies an adventurer could need in these dark places.

The first corridor, just following the tracks, takes a few minutes more than it would at a normal pace, but you come through it unscathed.

You continue following the path forwards and downwards, noticing many torch-scones on the wall as you go. All of them looted.
The tracks themselves seem worse for wear as well, with many bars long since pried away and most of the nails missing.

ITECs curious eyes see many signs of battle on the way down. Marks made by picks, not heaved to carve stone. Bolts embedded in the wall. Blood. Dried with time.
Here and there, a half-eaten kobold corpse. Bones of something that you would rather not think about.

In the distance, you see a door on one side of the wall, and you pause a moment to consider your next course of action.
Further down the corridor, the path forks. One path going to the side, the other going downward.

---

1:
A: Investigate the door.
B: Keep on going down.
C: Keep going, but take the side-path.


Bonus Tactical Information:
You have been told that, somewhere in the mine, there is a Sticky Door Handle which will trap whoever attempts to open it, letting kobolds on the other side jump the unfortunate soul in ambush. Could this be that trap?

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


B - Block the door with...wood? Rocks? without touching the handle. Keep going down.

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003


1:
A: Investigate the door.


But make sure we use a glove or a handful of dirt so our hands don't get stuck if this is the trap.

Also what did we do with the Kobold we had?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Kobold Enquiries

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

1:
Also what did we do with the Kobold we had?


You shudder inwardly.

....



....


Kobold? What Kobold?
You are sure you dealt with it. Yes.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



D. Break down every door from now on. Don't touch the handle.

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010



Wasn't that guy we dream-spoke to behind a similar door?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Proposed method of opening door and triggering traps:



Just use a glove/piece of leather/cloth or whatever until it gets stuck on a door handle.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place



Try to open the door with one of the poles.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Slice of Life - Diary of a Kobold.

Day One.
Egg decided today was born! Many wise is egg, is tell Dorgma of all Dorgma know!
Is Dorgma purpose: trap! Is Dorgma home: protect!
Is has five clutchmates, although one fell in hole. Yip!

Dorgma spend first day, explore home! Is find big Kate!

Is find the metal breakers, but they say Dorgma scrawny!
No for to break metals, is Dorgma!


Day two.
Is go up, find shooters and pokers! They say Dorgma slowpoke, not for them!
Dorgma fite with poker-Gurjan, but is lose! Flee to eatpit, spend rest of day hiding.


Day three.
Spent all day hiding. No one see Dorgma.


Day four.
Is big fight day! Hunams attack home, bust up many Kobold!
Big shake! Scary noise!
But Dorgma hide, they no see! Kobold wins because smart traps. Yip yip!


Day five.
See poker-Gurjan from hiding place, jump him when eats!
Is win fite!
Hiding is best trap.

Day six.
Is explore! Find exit to house, is bright and cold! Many Kobold run about, try find bits for trap.
Is find stupid hole, but not fall in.
Is now Dorgma is epiphany! Is find clutchmates, is bring spare door to corridor. Lean and fix for to make trap.
If more hunam comes, is trapready! Dorgma is now purposed.


Day seven.
Is ready. Is hide for trap.


Day eight.
Is ready. Is hide for trap.


...


Is noise! Is come Kobold scream of big fite!
It not see Dorgma from hide. Good.
Dorgma trapready.

...

Soon hunam trapped! Yip yip!
All for 'egg!




---
Descent, continued.
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Midnight




Tommy advances on the door with his greatclub at the ready. Your first true foray into the trap laden environs.
You have imagined all the ways this could go wrong, and pat yourself on the back mentally for your clever circumnavigation. If the door is trapped; destroy it!
Violence solves everything.


Tommy creeps closer, and as he hefts his greatclub high, muscles bulging, a bead of sweat clearly on his brow, all eyes are upon him,
All eyes except Konnies.


Ever darting, to and fro. They are looking for something out of the ordinary. An odd shape, a shadow.
A door where there shouldn't be one.

Tommy swings.

Dorgma jumps!

“Behind you!”

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place



fuckin' kobolds. Let's see if Konnie puts the new fancy daggers to use

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



AIR CATCH FLYING DAGGER

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

If we're near, rush to block with our shield. If not, throw shield roughly between the knife and big dude.

Apparently the attack is Konnie throwing a dagger, according to IRC. Not really anything we can do except wait for another update?

Tran fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2016 around 00:31

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Tran posted:

Apparently the attack is Konnie throwing a dagger, according to IRC. Not really anything we can do except wait for another update?

I personally have full faith in our very own 'expert daggerteer'.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


He's going to have three daggers in a moment.

I like reading the motivation behind our enemies right before we scrub them. It adds a bit more depth what should be nameless dagger fodder #26.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


If we need to do something I vote we duck!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Baby Steps
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Midnight


The Kobold, for a moment flying free from its perfect hiding place, about to land on the back of the very large man infront of it, is struck forcibly by the expertly thrown dagger, sinking deep into its chest.

It still lands on its intended target, but its lethal intent is spent. The door crumbles from the force of the inevitable blow, sending splinters and bits of rock every which way.
Your team is quick to dodge and block it, and Tommy himself is quick to turn his Kobold-laden back to the newly bared wall. Which he proceeds to backwards-tackle.

Before the stunned creature has a chance to make a sound, a boot meets its kobold face – forever.


*Angry sounds*

---



Continuing past the fake door trap, you follow the tracks further down into the mine. It seems to be built on a layer principle, with a central shaft going ever downwards with paths trailing of to the side (deeper into the mountain) at regular intervals.
Exploratory tendrils, searching for veins of ore. You soon arrive at the first of these forks. Nothing about it seems out of the ordinary, you hear no sound and see no light at its end.

You post guard at your current location and send a probing team into the side-shaft. It goes on for some time and ends in a large, collapsed section. Signs of battle are everywhere, but there are no bodies or items about. Guess this is where the other team failed.

code:
\X_____  <- You are here
  \
    \______
      \
        \______
          \
            \______
              \
                \______ <- According to your vision, the prisoner might be on this level.
---

1:
How do you proceed?
Write-in.



[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is medium, and rising, the mood is tense.
You are Lightly Hurt and somewhat rested. You are not hungry. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [02 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills] [01 assist]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally]
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds. [01 assist]
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [03 kills]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [02 assists] [Has an arrow sticking out of her arm. Make of that what you will. It probably hurts a lot.]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, stuffed and well rested. Fights with a longbow. [03 kills] [01 assists]

All in all, you have defeated [012] out of [013] Kobolds you have seen thus far.

[Bonus Tactical Information]
You suspect Skvababt suffer from some sort of phobia or condition that limits her ranged acumen in tight quarters / underground.

Abigail has an arrow sticking out of her arm. Johakim says she is out of the fight, but she insists she can still handle things.

The Kobolds you have fought so far favour numerical superiority and ambush, but are quick to flee if things seem to be going badly. You believe Kobolds make up for their individual weakness by employing said ambushes and furthermore in their love of traps.
Having someone to spot your back is crucial so as to no be overwhelmed, and situational awareness is equally important so as not to stumble into hidden death.
You are aware of a “sticky door trap” and a “stupid hole trap” somewhere in the mine.

Your team is currently advancing in the following order, front to back: Kvelar, Konnie, Khami, Skvababt, Abigail, Johakim, Thorgrim, Tommy.

You have full access to most common-tier adventuring supplies, including but not limited to long sticks to poke things with, torches for light and a bag of rocks to throw at stuff.

You have access to [012] piles of Kobold Equipment. Most of it is very crude but it is possible to salvage something useful out of it. Should you so desire, you can scavenge it for plausible materials, at the cost of some of the pile.
Alternatively you may wait til the end of the mission where we shall convert it into either useful equipment or its equivalent in wealth (although not at a 1:1 ratio!).

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009

Chakh'mah Mush'lam Echad Rak

Try to scavenge anything that might serve as a first aid kit to get that arrow out of Abigail.

Gather whatever we can to poke the ground in front of us as we advance so as to avoid the hole trap.

Check out each side path as we advance to prevent a flank attack

There Bias Two fucked around with this message at Feb 16, 2016 around 18:35

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Deeper
Month 2, week three, day six
The Witching Hour


Down and down you go, further into the mountain. Ever checking for traps, keeping your eyes open.
You soon begin hearing chattering in the distance, echoes of yips and sounds stranger still.

The tunnel widens a bit the deeper you get, and soon you may stand two or even three abreast.
Your careful poking pays divends here, as the floor in one section of the tunnel gives way even when lighty touched, a hole several meters deep and wide reveals itself. Lined with kobolds.

Most of them have been skewered on crude spears. Some have simply been crushed by other kobolds, falling to their mutual deaths.
Skvababt is soon to point out that what at first appeared to be mere dirt on the wall opposite the pit are infact crude pictograms. You don't need to be an expert linguist to figure out the gist of it.
You have found the 'Stupid Hole'.

Getting around it isn't much of an issue, although doing it safely does take some time.
Sending Abigail (your lightest, smallest member) to shimmy along the sides, you manage to salvage some spears and erect hand-holds and rope on either side of the pit, easing passage for the rest of the team.
[-01 Kobold Equipment.] [Trap bypassed, but not neutralized.]

Speaking of Abigail, you took some time earlier to craft a splint for her arm, using materials for Johakims medkit and the various piles of kobold gear you had gathered. [-01 Kobold Equipment.]

---

The tracks continue as normal on the other side of the pit, with the normal signs of battle-damage until to your mild surprise it suddenly stops.
The rails are still true to their looted nature, but are otherwise pristine. The walls are likewise free of dirt.

You do not have much time to reflect on this however, as a group of Kobolds appears from one of the side-paths ahead of you, taunt you and flee further into the mine.
You see flickering lights coming from both directions available to you. The sounds in the deep continue, increase.

code:
 \_____ LEVEL CLEAR
    \
      \ PIT TRAP [BYPASSED]
        X______ <- you are here. The group of kobolds came from this direction.
         K <- A group of kobolds are running deeper into the mine.
           \______
             \
               \______
                 \
                   \______ <- According to your vision, the prisoner might be on this level.
---

1:
A group of Kobolds flees before you!

They might alarm the critters further down about your presence, although you suspect most of them already know.
Your crew takes a few pot-shots at them when they first appear, but most of them dodge out of the way. One is not so lucky and is hit in the leg, it stumbles and rolls and limps after its crew, but falls to another bolt expertly fired by Kvelar.

There is also the matter of the side-passage from whence they came. You can hear sound coming from both directions.

Where do you go? What is your plan?
A: Write in!


---

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good and rising, the mood is excited.
You are Lightly Hurt and somewhat rested. You are not hungry. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [03 kills] [01 assist]
Tommy: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills] [01 assist]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally]
Johakim: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Avoids fighting, tends to wounds. [01 assist]
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [03 kills]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is well fed and moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.]
Skvababt: Is Healthy, stuffed and well rested. Fights with a longbow. [03 kills] [02 assists]

All in all, you have defeated [013] out of [017] Kobolds you have seen thus far.

---

[Bonus Tactical Information]
You suspect Skvababt suffer from some sort of phobia or condition that limits her ranged acumen in tight quarters / underground.

Kobolds seem to prefer numerical superiority for meleé engagements, and will otherwise attempt to ambush or trap their foes.

You are aware of a “sticky door trap”.

You have access to [010] piles of Kobold Equipment, which you may salvage for plausible parts for your hearts desire.
One more pile is in close proximity.

---

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “Best stick to da plan. They already know we're here, jus' make sure they don' surround us.”
Tommy: “You sure there are only Kobolds down here boss?”
Khami: “I do not think they flee out of cowardice. They want us to follow.”
Johakim: “That splint should help poor Abigail heal right up, but she still shouldnae be fightin'”
Konnie: “Whatever we do, don't let 'em push us back to the pit trap. Would take too long to cross during a fighting retreat.”
Abigail: “After them!”
Skvababt: “Mmhmm. More kobolds. What a delight. Lets take care of them, together.”

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


I don't want to leave kobolds alive up here to surround us and block our eventual retreat.

I don't want to follow kobolds down the side passage to a very probably trap.

So...I don't know what to do.

edit: Misread the update, they ran from a side passage and then down further into the mine. So... cautiously follow as per before?

hollylolly fucked around with this message at Feb 17, 2016 around 18:39

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place



Leave Tommy and Skabvat to guard the entry into the side path while we inspect it with the rest of our teammates. If we find he path continues to diverge we reassess the situation. Are there planks availabe to cover the pit trap? Don't want our retreat to be suddenly interrupted because we forgot about it. For that matter, could the door (that Tommy sadly broke...) usable enough to block a side path if we nail it to the wall, or something like that? Although the kobolds are crafty enough that a few nails won't delay them long.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Getting 'trapped' in a corridor woukd be a good thing for us, it neutralizes their numbers advantage.

Check out the side tunnel carefully.

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





Don't pursue. Cautiously explore the side tunnel, with Tommy, Thorgrim, and Khami keeping an eye out behind the party. Listen more closely to the strange noises. Ask the others (especially Skvababt and Abigail with their non-human hearing) if they have any idea what it is.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006



Grimey Drawer

Once this is over and we have privacy, pull Skvbablat over to the side, share our suspicion about the cave being uncomfortable for her, and let her know we appreciate her putting up with it and sticking with us.

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007


kill all of them little bastards! Give chase

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009



Leave a guard and explore the side tunnel as per before

Hot Dog Day 80 posted:

Also what did we do with the Kobold we had?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

Skvababt: Is Healthy, stuffed and well rested.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Slice of Life – Ragnar the Lucky



Deep in the bowels of the silvermine turned kobold-warren, a prisoner stirred in his cell.
The Kobolds had mostly forgotten about him, save for the occasional curious youngling.

Sooner or later he reasoned, they would randomly trap the last easy-access to his holding area only to block it off with their own bodies later on.
And that, as they say, would be that.

But he did not despair, he was Ragnar the Lucky! There was always a way out.
He smiled to himself as he heard sounds of alarm in the distance. Perhaps that was it, now.

---

He scooted to the right, dug his scarred hands into the gravely soil beneath him. Took out another small piece of mystery jerky to gnaw on. Dug the battered ledger from its hiding place.
The book had previously belonged to the mining foreman, a labouring dwarf who had probably died in the initial infestation. The Kobolds had been quick to loot it, presenting it to their leader as a spoils of war.

The first two hundred or so pages were nothing but boring accounts of day to day affairs, budget-keeping, import/export notifications and updated inventories of the warehouse. After that however, the font and contents changed drastically.
Deep scratches torn into the pages, almost randomly. Scratches growing ever more stable, more deliberate. Soon replaced entirely by blood. Markings mimicking the imperial script, first crudely, then ever more refined.
Ragnar smirked as he turned to a new page. At least his brief stint as a prisoner hadn't turned out to be boring.

Although the Kobold-script was hard to decipher in the half-light that illuminated his hopefully temporary abode, it was clear from the scrawls on the page that whoever wrote it had been excited about something.
Something a group of Kobolds had found, tucked away in the darkness. Something to nourish, something to celebrate.
A rare find indeed.

The best trap ever.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at Feb 20, 2016 around 14:30

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Yay! Khaos!

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Second Level Side Path
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Bedtime!


You decide to leave Skvababt and Tommy behind, with Abigail as a messenger in case things go wrong as you take the others to explore the side passage.
Skvababts eyes and Tommies sheer mass should buy you the time you need to see where the fleeing Kobolds came from, you reason.
Johakim elects to stay behind with Abigail, still concerned for her well-being.

Before you split up, you ask your team about the strange noises. Most think it to be the Kobolds preparing for war, although Abigail thinks she can hear some rhythm to it. She suggests it might be music.

---

As you ever so carefully advance, you are struck by yet more irregularities. The wall-scones of this place as empty, as they have been for most of the mine thus far, but they are also hot to the touch,
as if the torches they where supposed to hold were all recently taken out. Particles of ash litter the otherwise impossibly pristine cave floor underneath the scones, marring that perfection.
You also notice the tracks of at least four kobolds, running in the opposite direction. Presumably the ones that ran past you a short while ago.

---

You continue down the path, until you are struck by the fact that it is no longer your own torches providing you vision, but bright lights from deeper within.
The narrow corridor opens up the further in you get and soon breaks into a large cavern. An underground lake, shimmering ethereal.
Half a dozen super-bright torches line the sides of curious cavescape, and in the few flickering shadows linger Kobolds, ready to strike.

---

1:
Battle is imminent. What do you do?
Write-in.






[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good and rising, the mood is excited.
You are Lightly Hurt and somewhat rested. You are not hungry. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [03 kills] [01 assist]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, well fed and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally]
Konnie: Is Healthy, well fed and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [03 kills]

Party Thoughts:
Kvelar: “Not much space ta fight in here, but all the better, as long as we dodge their arrows.” “Mayhaps we can trip some fool Kobold into da lake, let em drown themselves, aye?”
Khami: “In battle; strive to do the opposite of what your enemies desire.”
Konnie: “Why all the torches eh? Something's not right.”

HBar
Sep 13, 2007

I LOVE THEM APPLES





We're outnumbered and an archer would be great here. Go back and get the rest of the party.

There might be something lurking in the lake too. When we come back, we should turtle up at the entrance and have Skvababt and Kvelar pick them off from a distance.

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


Go for a swim, attack from the water.

This isn't a serious vote but if we can swim and we don't think kobolds can then we can lure some to their doom.

Mr. Nemo
Feb 4, 2016

A roc and a hard place



Can we see the weapons the kobolds are using? According to the images there's o ly one archer.
I also suspect there may be something in tbe lake.
Is the way we came in the only exit we can see?
Are we close enough that we can shout for the rest of the party?
Either shout for them or go get them.
Turtle up In the narrow area with the whole party while Skavbar and Kvelar take a few shots, throw something heavy in the water to see if anything moves. Keep a few eyes looking back.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com


Mr. Nemo posted:

Can we see the weapons the kobolds are using? According to the images there's o ly one archer.
I also suspect there may be something in tbe lake.
Is the way we came in the only exit we can see?
Are we close enough that we can shout for the rest of the party?
Either shout for them or go get them.
Turtle up In the narrow area with the whole party while Skavbar and Kvelar take a few shots, throw something heavy in the water to see if anything moves. Keep a few eyes looking back.

Sure

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012


Yell out:

"HA! These stupid Kobolds will never see the powerful and tricky trap we've set in this corridor!"

Then attack them when they stop to try and find the awesome trap.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can we see the weapons the kobolds are using? According to the images there's o ly one archer.
I also suspect there may be something in tbe lake.
Is the way we came in the only exit we can see?
Are we close enough that we can shout for the rest of the party?
Either shout for them or go get them.
Turtle up In the narrow area with the whole party while Skavbar and Kvelar take a few shots, throw something heavy in the water to see if anything moves. Keep a few eyes looking back.

Sure, except no shouting.

Taking it nice and deliberate is the ITEC way!

Loel
Jun 4, 2012

"For the Emperor."

There was a terrible noise.
There was a terrible silence.

Mr. Nemo posted:

Can we see the weapons the kobolds are using? According to the images there's o ly one archer.
I also suspect there may be something in tbe lake.
Is the way we came in the only exit we can see?
Are we close enough that we can shout for the rest of the party?
Either shout for them or go get them.
Turtle up In the narrow area with the whole party while Skavbar and Kvelar take a few shots, throw something heavy in the water to see if anything moves. Keep a few eyes looking back.

I agree with turtle

hollylolly
Jun 5, 2009


Turtle up and throw heavy stuff plan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0


Grimey Drawer

Second Level Side Path
Month 2, week three, day six
Post-Bedtime!


Room full of Kobolds. Right. They outnumber you 2 to 1 at the moment, but perhaps they haven't spotted you? Even if they almost certainly know you are coming.

You dart your head around the corner of the corridor quickly, taking it all in, but the super-bright torches make it difficult to see any details. You notice an archer, and a spearwielder for certain.
The spearwielder is followed by a Kobold that looks unarmed. Shapes lost in the light indicate another team of two coming up on your left flank. Both teams seem to be patrolling the lake.

You motion for the group to step back into the shadows. You need your whole team to deal with this.





---



You start making your way back, swiftly but silently. Afear that the Kobolds might give chase. Youve already made sure the corridor is trap free, so your untriumphant return is made that much more quickly.
Abigail is first to notice you, reporting in.


We spotted the group that fled again, traded a few shots but no one on either side was hurt. We think they are trying to goad us into following them.
They keep yelling something but the tunnel doesn't lend itself to clear acoustics. Probably taunts.


Tommy, Johakim and Skvababt join us with you.
Tommy speaks.


Seven of them eh? Well we've taken on those numbers before. Lets just do it quickly before the other group figures out what's up.

---

You start making your way back to the underground lake.
Only halfway into the corridor, Skvababt starts looking visibly upset. Her beautiful eyes welling up with tears, she is forced to turn her back to the encroaching caverns light.


Mhm. I'm sorry Mr Ironscript, I simply cannot proceed. Its torture, and not the good kind either. Ill guard your rear, make sure no one approaches you inappropriately. Now you go be a hero, ill be waiting anxiously for your return.


---

Thankfully the Kobolds are still patrolling, although you can tell they look anxious with but a glance.
You bid tommy throw something into the far end of the lake, hoping to both distract the Kobolds to your entry and perhaps figure out what, if anything, is inhabiting the lake.

He picks up a likely rock from the the bag of rocks you have been lugging around for this very purpose, and throws it with all of his might. It sails of in an arc.
Hitting the lake, it skips once, making a weird 'pfff!' noise, skips again, again and again before finally coming to a stop around [b5] the northern 'shore'
It does not immediately sink, or display any other obvious stone-thrown-into-lake qualities. It merely sits on the surface, which ripples beneath it, making that same strange 'pffff' sound.

Every Kobold head in the cavern is turned immediately to the source of the sound.
“Yip! Yip! Trap! Is trap! Get readies!”

In the momentary confusion, you are able to garner a few more details about your foes.
Seven of them, all in all, but only five appear armed. Two spears, two archers, a mace-and-shield.
The ultra bright cavern offers no hiding places; indeed not even a shadow can survive the onslaught of light. You even have to shield your eyes to the ones closest to you.

---



1:
You have alerted the Kobolds; yet your stratagems have leant you the initiative. What you do in the first few seconds of combat can make all the difference. What is your plan?


A: Plan Nemo
Turtle up in the narrow areas, (d11-d13 X f11-f13 or further back into the corridor leading here as the battle permits), hiding behind your shields and making good use of your ranged attackers.

B: Plan Abigail
Rush the enemy as quickly as possible; push kobolds into the lake with your superior strength and arms.

C: Plan Kvelar
Slowly and steadily work your way around both sides of the lake, pushing them back and into a corner where they cannot possibly defend against your might.

D: Plan Konnie
Retreat back into the tunnel where you can make full use of both of your archers, and maybe form a shield-wall or otherwise negate their numbers and agility and make being flanked more difficult.

E: Something else?
Write-in.

[ITEC Battle Summary]
Overall morale is good and rising, the mood is excited.
You are Lightly Hurt and somewhat rested. You are not hungry. You fight with Axe and Shield. [01 kills] [Your side hurts, but not detrimentally] [You are inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Kvelar: Is Healthy, not hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with Axe and Shield, but has a short-range hand crossbow as well. [03 kills] [01 assist] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Tommy: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with a Greatclub. [03 kills] [01 assist] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Khami: Is Somewhat Hurt, slightly hungry and somewhat rested. Fights with an iron chain. [Has a few minor cuts and bruises, but should be able to fight non detrimentally] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Konnie: Is Healthy, not hungry and moderately rested. Fights with daggers. [03 kills] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]
Abigail: Is Hurt. She is not hungry and she is moderately rested. Fights with an iron quarterstaff. [02 assists] [Has one of her arms in a splint.] [Is being inconvenienced by a bright light.]

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«141 »