Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«115 »
  • Post
  • Reply
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012


Fallen Rib

Ask if Flopsy happens to be trained and knows any commands that might be useful to know (such as elvish for "heel and stop trying to eat me").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

We should do all of the above for starters. However, nobody should separate outside line of sight from the rest of the party. It might still be around somewhere close by and we do not want to picked apart by some sort of ambush predator.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Oct 18, 2015 around 09:04

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

You order your men to look around whilst you ask the guard some questions, and they step to it with gusto. Konnie disappears around a corner, his nose to the ground, whereas Tommy, Kvelar and Khami ready their weapons and step into the mausoleum.
Johakim for his part begins examining the food bowl and the surrounding area for any more, uh, biological clues.

---



"I'm afraid I can't tell you much sir, I wasn't allowed near the mausoleum, none of us where. The manor has been a right state since she went missing though. Everyone is on high alert. We cannot afford to show any weakness, lest the other houses pounce."
She goes quiet for a moment. Looks away into the horizon. Sighs. "Look sir, we aren't supposed to talk about it, aren't supposed to divulge the Lords business with outsiders. I could lose my job, but if I don't I could lose my neck.
Master will go even madder without Flopsy around." Another sigh.

"I haven't seen Flopsy up close but I know her to be roughly the size of a mountain lion. Diet of insects and carrion. The Lord usually drags it here himself.
I believe her to be unique to this area, otherwise I doubt master would care for her as much as he does."
"As for enemies, well, take your pick. It'd be easier to hand you a list of friends."

You nod your thanks and go to find your men, to see what they have found.

---



"What the guard says checks out, the bowl is filled with carrion and the area is curiously devoid of insect life. Tried poking through a few rocks, expected to find ants or what have you. Nothing. Right curious. Haven't seen much else though."

You hear some commotion from inside the mausoleum and decide to investigate yourself.
Kvelar greets you by the entrance, presenting you with the evidence found thus far.

"Got some pieces of scale littered about the place and the remains of what I assume to be food. This place seems to have been a nest. No signs on struggle in here, just an awful smell and unidentifiable goop."
"Only other thing of note is the altar further in, seems dedicated to Lolth, judging by the spider web motif, but I'm no Cleric. Nothing else alive in here in either case. Not surprising considering our clientel."
Not seeing anything else of interest, you take the men outside and begin scanning the perimeter.

---

You find Konnie sitting on a rock outside the mausoleum smoking a pipe. You are about to scold him for giving up to easily when Tommy suddenly yells out "Hey! Over here! Tracks!"

A long, slithering trail. Perhaps a meter wide, with thick rectangular footprints on the sides. Next to them, giant footprints, obviously laid down by a humanoid but at odd intervals and angles, as if dancing.
All around the cemetery you find the weirdest trial yet. Pockmarks in the ground as if a congression of porcupines had held a roller derby convention.
They converge with the other trails and disappear, leaving only the thick slithering tracks leading towards the fence surrounding the area.

Is there anything you wish to do before following the tracks to the best of your abilities?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



Ask the guard for a bag of insect before going

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Examine the footprints. Does the middle creature seem quadrupedal? Do the prints look like claws or paws? Do they have any other defining charasteristics?

Do the humanoid footprints seem like the creature that made them was wearing shoes? Can say, Johakim estimate the size of the creature based on those footprints?

Also, Examine the pockmarks. Do they have anything, like spines inside of them (use tools or tweezers or something do dig around, don't put your finger in strange holes)? Anything else of interest?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Footprints.
You examine the footprints closer. It is clear that there are three distinct sets, but only one pair seems to have spent any significant amount of time in the area, judging by their quantity..

The thick, trailing track with the large rectangular footprints on the side have no other defining characteristics.
They remind you of the caravan loading areas of Tukatt Hold, where large boxes would settle into the soil before being hoisted onto the trade-cart heading for market places unknown.

The humanoid footprints are indeed shoe prints, and judging by their size whatever left them must be quiet large indeed. Perhaps three meters tall? Something seems off about them though, but you can't rightly tell what.

The pockmarks litter the area but are concentrated outside the entrance to the mausoleum next to the foodbowl. Examining the granite structure closer you find a few scratches have even been made into it's surface.

When asked about a bag of insects, the guard replies that you are free to take whatever is left in the bowl.

Lord Zedd-Repulsa
Jul 21, 2007

Devour a good book.



Tell someone else to carry the bowl so we have bait to lure Flopsy back when we find them.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Tracking

You arrange for the food bowl to be contained expediently and set of to follow the tracks. They lead you first to the wrought-iron fence where, predictably, there is some considerable damage. In that a large section is simply missing.
The guard, who has been following your group around up to this point just sighs and turns to leave, muttering all the way about the incompetence of her fellows and the poor state of the manor in general.

Examining the 'entry wound' more closely you realize the wall has been smashed through by something both large and strong, presumably the heavy slithering trail that continues through here.

You follow the tracks away from the mansion, away from the city proper into a lightly wooded area on the edge of town. Just enough for cover, but too small to hide the dangers of The Forest which weights ever on your mind.
From the deep gouges cut into the soil in straight but parallel lines you surmise that Flopsy was taken here and loaded into a heavy cart, which then sped off with her into the distance.

You know the pet-napping to be at least two days old. You also know whatever took her would have to be relatively hefty. The clearing you have found is devoid of other clues, much to your chagrin.

Looks like you have some travelling to do!
Do you continue, following this mysterious cart to wherever it may have gone?
Or do you do something else?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Can I say "shit" around the baby?


Grimey Drawer

Continue on, preferably on horseback.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



keep goin

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

On the Pet-Nappers Trail

You discuss the situation briefly with your men. Everyone agrees you should continue so you get back on your horses and take off.

Ah yes, the horses. They have thus far been skipped over, but they are all part and parcel of a successful monster hunting business. Not all monsters live nearby after all, and you must have some way to transport yourselves, your loot and trophies to wherever adventure awaits. The horses in your possession are nothing special, no barded war-horses here, but they get the job done.

Your journey takes you to one of the roads heading out from Braav to the Empire proper. It's the first time you've taken this route, but Kvelar is more familiar with it. Sparse highland with long, winding gravel roads snaking to the horizon and beyond. Hills, giving way to mountains in the distance and a industry and civilisation where environment permits.




---


Just as the sun begins it's descent the tracks you have been following veer off the beaten path, around a hill and further into the wilderness. Another hour passes until you finally arrive at your destination.

Nestled cosily in a shallow valley stand a multitude of dilapidated carts and wagons clustered like firewood around the great hearth that is the multicoloured, striped tent that occupies the centre of the scene. Strange but muffled noises can be heard from inside of it, but there is no activity as far as you can tell on the outside. Some of the wagons have large, empty cages, others look live living spaces (house-wagons, if you will) but the overall impression is one of ruin, abandonment.



No one has seen you yet. How do you proceed?

Hot Dog Day 80
Jun 23, 2003


BURN THEM ALL

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Can I say "shit" around the baby?


Grimey Drawer

So, Flopsy was abducted by a circus.

I'm just spitballing here. We don't know which one is Flopsy but we can conceivably get a look at the animals, write down their descriptions, get a message back to the Lord, ask which one is Flopsy.

TheCog
Jul 30, 2012

I AM ZEPA AND I CLAIM THESE LANDS BY RIGHT OF CONQUEST


RandomPauI posted:

So, Flopsy was abducted by a circus.

I'm just spitballing here. We don't know which one is Flopsy but we can conceivably get a look at the animals, write down their descriptions, get a message back to the Lord, ask which one is Flopsy.

Or try calling their name to them.

Alternatively, this circus has stolen private property, we should charge in, kill the owners and become a traveling circus. That's legal, right?

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012


1. Kill all the people.
2. Return Flopsy.
3. Give all the other monsters to the alchemist.
4. $$$$$$

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



Night sneak attack

GloriousDemon
May 1, 2009


You all are seriously underestimating the danger of circus folk, carnies are gonna mess you up.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Can I say "shit" around the baby?


Grimey Drawer

Are they set up in an area close to a populated village?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

The closest village you know about is Braav. Kvelar pipes up to mention that Sockne is a few days travel to the west. You have been going mostly north for this excursion.
Remember you may at any time ask your crew their opinions of the matters you face or perhaps delegate some task to them what befits their skills.

For convenience and new players, this is your best estimate of your current crew and their capabilities.

Thorgrim Ironscript <-- This is you
Novice Axedwarf
Competent Accountant
Novice Gnomespeaker
Fine-quality leather armour
Bog-Standard military surplus Battleaxe

Kvelar Ironscript
Talented Axedwarf
Competent Crossbowman
Adequate Axedwarfsmanship trainer
Novice archery trainer
Fine-quality leather armour
Master-Crafted Dwarven Heirloom Battleaxe
Bog-standard quality handcrossbow

Konnie 'Cowfoot' Loman
??? 'Dagerteer' (claims expert)
???
Decent Quality Leather Armour
??? Quality daggers

Johakim 'The Chisel' Loman
??? Combat Medic
Decent Quality Leather Armour
??? Quality Medkit

Tommy 'Woodhead' Loman
??? Clubuser
Decent Quality Leather Armour
??? Quality greatclub

Khami
??? Chainwielder (claims mastery)
??? Quality Chainmail
??? Quality Iron Chain

Tran
Feb 17, 2011

It's a pleasure to meet all of you. Especially in such a fine settin' as this. Just need us some music an' a brawl an' we'll be set.

The evidence tells us that Flopsy is most likely an arachnid of some sort. The pinhole style footprints were all over the pet house, reflective of long term occupancy. The larger lizard creature is some sort of beast of burden, used to pull the cart. Given the carnival location, I suspect the eccentric elf's creature will be used as part of a freak show or menagerie attraction.

Follow the scent of dung to find the animal trainer's enclosure.

Klingtron
Sep 10, 2011


So what does our crew think of this circus thing? Is it actually a harmless circus or are these bandits?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Yeah, let's take our time with this, and not blindly charge a bunch of people who's combat capabilities we know nothing about.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Ironscript Tyrannofauna Extermination Company on-site meeting - Petnappers Circus - Exterior



If this is a circus, where are all the people? Why camp so far from the road, from town? No, these must be bandits looking to extend their threat with ferocious beasts.
We should be wary, lest they overwhelm us with tamed or mad-starving monsters.



"Well, whoever they are they gotta sleep sometime, right? I saw we wait until deepest night, then we sneak in and and bash their skulls in. That usually works."



"Forget it, I ain't sneakin in to some monster-infested bandit carnival without some solid intel. I say we wait until someone feels the call of nature, then we knock him out, interrogate him and slit his throat. Not necessarily in that order."



"Whoever they is they had the gall to break and enter into a guarded drow-lords compound. Successfully I might at. A direct approach is suicide, maybe diplomacy is an option? Otherwise, burn em out and ambush the stragglers. Hope whatever Flopsy is is fireproof."

Kvelar is quiet through most of the discussion, but adds his input towards the end: "We should send someone in to investigate. Don't want to be taken by surprise."

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



Sexy frog would be perfect for this mission now...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Can I say "shit" around the baby?


Grimey Drawer

Gadget guy with a mechanical trinket could work, him showing up like he wanted to interview for a job.

Sapphira
Apr 7, 2006


Cowfoot has the right idea here. Observe from a safe distance then nab somebody when the opportunity reveals itself.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Sapphira posted:

Cowfoot has the right idea here. Observe from a safe distance then nab somebody when the opportunity reveals itself.

This, but let's do it during nighttime when there are less people awake, and thus less people to get suspicious when a person takes a bit too long to return.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.


Sapphira posted:

Cowfoot has the right idea here. Observe from a safe distance then nab somebody when the opportunity reveals itself.

Yes, but let's make sure the "knock him out, interrogate him and slit his throat" parts ARE in that order.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

The Ambush

Taking everyone’s input into account, you decide that waiting until nightfall and possibly capturing someone when/if they exit the tent is the safest option.

You spend the next two hours scouting the perimeter of the compound, looking for a good place to base your ambush. Something with cover, yet still within a reasonable distance of the central tent.

If it wasn't for the constant, muffled noise coming from it's interior you would swear this circus was abandoned. Most of the carts and wagons outside are in a severe state of disrepair. They don't look capable of transporting much of anything any more. Most have pieces missing or broken, but they still provide some solid cover and thus you decide to set yourselves up amongst them.

Some more time passes. Suddenly, there is activity. Someone is exiting the tent. From the distance all you can tell is that whoever it is is wearing mostly green but has enormous, red shoes on their feet. Some sort of clown?

Thanks to your prudent planning, the cover of night and the complete lack of patrols in the area you may set up your forces anywhere in the following Battle Grid(tm) except in the two squares immediately next to your foe in all directions or the inside of the tent, as you would have been detected had that been the case. The shaded areas provide full cover and block line of sight except at the very edges otherwise the terrain is minimally impeding. Melee combat can be entered from adjacent squares. For the handcrossbow in Kvelars position, the distances involved are so small that he can pretty much fire from anywhere he has line of sight. Range is a non-issue.



1: Write-In: Where are your forces located?


2: Write-In: What is your plan of attack?

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2015 around 19:42

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



Multi pronged attack

Theif at B4 sneak tp backstab crown.
Fighter A at E10 follow up when the clown turn toward theif.
Fighter B at A10 follow up when clown turn toward fight B.
Medic at E4 step in to heal if neccasary, otherwise follow up attack the clown.

Dwarf hide on top of the tend at A4 and surpise air axe the clown if neccasary, but save it for any reinforcement.

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Nyaa posted:

Multi pronged attack

Theif at B4 sneak tp backstab crown.
Fighter A at E10 follow up when the clown turn toward theif.
Fighter B at A10 follow up when clown turn toward fight B.
Medic at E4 step in to heal if neccasary, otherwise follow up attack the clown.

Dwarf hide on top of the tend at A4 and surpise air axe the clown if neccasary, but save it for any reinforcement.


Cool battle plan but no, since our plan was to capture and interrogate a guy not kill the first guy that comes out. We should take advantage of our surprise and the fact this person is alone. Let's have Konnie at B4 and have him sneak up on the guy, do the whole 'put a knife on his throat from behind' shtick, threaten him to be either silent or dead etc. and then take him to another location where we can interrogate him. Will post other locations later, since I feel them less relevant at the moment.

Theantero fucked around with this message at Oct 21, 2015 around 20:00

stevey666
Feb 25, 2007


Nyaa posted:

Multi pronged attack

Theif at B4 sneak tp backstab crown.
Fighter A at E10 follow up when the clown turn toward theif.
Fighter B at A10 follow up when clown turn toward fight B.
Medic at E4 step in to heal if neccasary, otherwise follow up attack the clown.

Dwarf hide on top of the tend at A4 and surpise air axe the clown if neccasary, but save it for any reinforcement.


this plan

paper bag with a face
Jun 2, 2007
Fighting poverty...one bum at a time.

Theantero posted:

Cool battle plan but no, since our plan was to capture and interrogate a guy not kill the first guy that comes out. We should take advantage of our surprise and the fact this person is alone. Let's have Konnie at B4 and have him sneak up on the guy, do the whole 'put a knife on his throat from behind' shtick, threaten him to be either silent or dead etc. and then take him to another location where we can interrogate him. Will post other locations later, since I feel them less relevant at the moment.

Let's do this.

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug


Break its legs, then interrogate it. Then double tap and burn the body after harvesting

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

The Clown

You had previously ordered Konnie to lay in wait behind the tent, to ambush anyone that came out when he deemed it most safe.



The clown shuffles forward with erratic, heavy motions. From your vantage point you can barley make out the detail but it appears to be walking roughly in your direction.

Konnie pounces from his hiding spot! Rushing up to clown, masking his noise in concert with it's resounding footsteps. If you didn't know where he was to begin with, you are certain you could never have spotted him.

<Konnie moves up to c6>

“Stick em up!”

The clown spasms violently, exploding with silent rage at the thief that dared disturb its trip. It's arms shoot forward into a ferocious push, but the nimble thief dodges it at the last minute, slicing the clowns arm up in the process.

That didn't seem to cut it however. The clown is still advancing on Konnie, and he seems pressed. The rogue screams a fineable expletive and backs up aggressively, trying to get any sort of attack in under the flailing onslaught, moving towards Johakim to try to get some backup.

It seems he bit of more than he could chew. What do you do?

Theantero
Nov 6, 2011

...they shall march out of my laboratory and sweep away every adversary, every creed, every nation, until the very planet is in the loving grip of the Pax Bisonica. And then peace will reign, and the world, and all humanity, shall bow to me in humble gratitude...

Welp.

Have Khami advance from behind, and try to trip the clown.
Give the clown one final chance to surrender when/if he goes to ground, hopefully he will get in line after he realizes he's outnumbered.
If not, have Konnie slit his throat and drag this corpse out of the way.
Tommy should advance if the clown struggles and put him out of his misery if Konnie can't cut it.
Kvelar should take aim at the tent entrance and ready to shoot any clownforcements.

Wentley
Feb 7, 2012


Is that an . . . undead clown?

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010

Q.E.D.



Wentley posted:

Is that an . . . undead clown?
Could be, we better burn it after we chop off its limbs

Arkanomen
May 6, 2007

All he wants is a hug


DONT TRUST CLOWNS. DOUBLE TAP AND BURN THE BODY

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006
Jinat Ulukaï, hâ oagé.

Round two, fight!

You sense Konnie is in trouble, so you order a charge. The plan is to capture the clown alive, but ancient wisdom says plans rarely survive contact with the enemy.
Everyone bursts out of their hiding spaces more or less simultaneously, but Tommy is the first to engage. He swings his great-club wildly, missing by inches.
The clown, occupied as it is with Konnie ignores the strike and wanders after him mindlessly.

Khami sprints from behind the tent, swinging his chain above his head hoping to lasso his target, whereas Kvelar is charging it's flank. Johakim for his part is standing back for now.



You steel yourself for the first real combat of your life. But what exactly are you fighting?
You are closer now, and the moonlight reveals the face of your adversary.



It's visage shakes you to the bone, and you hesitate, interrupting your charge.

In but a moment, everyone will be fighting. Do you have any last minute orders?

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • Post
  • Reply
«115 »