Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
Don't shoot unless they move. Yell at the fluffs to gently caress off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Yes, that thing's going to haunt us if we hit it.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

super sweet best pal posted:

Yes, that thing's going to haunt us if we hit it.

+1 ghost puppy.

Ghost cow needs a friend anyway.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

'sup Dawg. If you're cool putting the fangs away I'm cool to parlay or whatever the gently caress. Otherwise I'ma shoot ya. poo poo's hosed around here. Can't be too careful.

Outrail posted:

+1 ghost puppy.

Ghost cow needs a friend anyway.

good times if we vote that way.

We'd need to redo the business card though.

dont be mean to me
May 2, 2007

I'm interplanetary, bitch
Let's go to Mars

Do not make the first move.

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Absolutely make the first move

Wolves are fast. If they're on the move, there's no way we'll be able to get a bead on one with ##Nåzom Stėgeth##, so we get one shot at this. That Dire Wolf will tear us apart if it gets close.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Open fire!

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

What are our/brothers instincts telling us to do?

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

Enter dream state and parlay with the wolf
Let's try to purposefully use our weird powers.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
:: ##Consult M.A.P

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Blasphemaster posted:

'sup Dawg. If you're cool putting the fangs away I'm cool to parlay or whatever the gently caress. Otherwise I'ma shoot ya. poo poo's hosed around here. Can't be too careful.

Vote: +1

Maybe doggies just wanna talk?

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

alpaca diseases posted:

What are our/brothers instincts telling us to do?

He isn't saying anything at the moment, but just from knowing him so well you know he would tell you to kill the wolf before it eats you.

Cornuto posted:

:: ##Consult M.A.P

True Statement: ##Nåzom Stegėth## is primed and ready.
Speculation: As you have not loaded any Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes into ##Nåzom Stegėth## , you have no reason to believe it should behave any differently than a standard Siege Arbalest.

---

Sorry for taking so long between updates and replies, this heatwave is murder of my writing and I have less time to write what with kindergarten being closed for summer vacation. A more normal schedule will resume after we defeat climate change after Sweden stops burning in a bit.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
Oh, we didn't give it magic juice?

Pull the trigger before the wolves circling to the rear attack why are we even discussing this

Toughy
Nov 29, 2004

KAVODEL! KAVODEL!

shoot

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

Changing vote from Dance of Friendship to Dance of Shooting the drat Thing

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

A more normal schedule will resume after we defeat climate change after Sweden stops burning in a bit.

:wave: Stay Safe!

I did look at a 'burn map' of Sweden, and, it does seem like the entire country is burning, Viking Longship Burial Style.

Maybe everyone retreats to their local Ikea and enjoys some meatballs for awhile? :)

Vote: Do the Doggies want to talk?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Shoot to thrill, play to kill
I got my gun standard Siege Arbalest at the ready, gonna fire at will
Yeah!

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

If we skewer him at the right angle we can have rotisserie wolf. :haw:

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 3
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

Part Twentytwo: For your eyes only
Current Region: Huddik

... for what feels like forever, lost in the eyes of the wolf.

But your muscles tighten of their own accord, your hand firmly embracing the triggering lever and pulling, inevitably downward as if mimicking the journey of a falling icicle, with a terminus just as lethal.
There is a 'click' as the lever reaches it's anapex, followed by the whisper of the near frictionless release of an iron rod, increasing in intensity as it accelerates into the supersonic.
The shockwave rattles your seat, threatening to shake your cart apart and absolutely driving your donkey from reason, whereupon it attempts to disengage from madness by running away as quickly as possible,
forgetting in its haste or animal stupidity that it is still attached to the cart. You jolt out of your arbalest, flying to the hard forest ground and rolling twice before coming to a stop. Your world is a blur.

Khami scatters to avoid the runaway cart, causing every wolf within sight to pounce from their perches, and the fight is on.

Skvababt let's loose two arrows in quick succession, dealing a deadly blow to one of the naughty puppers, which collapses mid-jump, life knocked out of it.

As for the direwolf? Wether it be from some animalistic want of display of power in-front of it's pack, or behavior more emergent from a sinister intelligence, it has attempted to fetch the stick.
The impact is felt rather than seen, for there is all together too much debris flying to really make out what happened.

Leafs, branches, bark and blood cover the immediate area around where the direwolf previously stood, and the rosewood that rooted behind it is apparently on fire internally, the treewound letting scant glistening sunlight through.

Howls line the canopies and bloodlust descends on the battlefield. One wolf splits from the others, rushing towards the freshly cratered area that housed the previous Alpha.
Does it intend to challenge ithe wounded elder for leadership? Or to curry favour with its missing master? Or perhaps to claim the dead or dying for a meal of its own? You do not know.

Skvababt downs another wolf meanwhile, whereas Khami braces for future impact whilst you stumble to get on your feet.
The donkey has already gotten the cart caught in between boulders and trees and is braying furiously, a sound that only serves to attract the remaining trio of wolves.

And just as that they are upon you, each wolf furiously charging the closest foe. Khami smacks one with his chain but fails to grip it, and it latches onto his arm painfully.
He makes to punch it with his other arm, using the chains he wields as a flail though it is obviously quiet cumbersome.

One goes for Skvababt, leaping into the air before she can ready another arrow and she is forced to roll away from the predator lest she be savaged. You boil internally but raise your shield as the third wolf dives for your throat.
You hold your ground despite the snarling beasts momentum and bring your axe to bear but fail to land more than a glancing blow. There is howling once more from over by the crater but at this point you are to busy to understand why.
Khami knocks his wolf away with some difficulty and smacks it upon the head with a weak, wet thump. It hops around waiting for another opportunity to pounce.

Despite teeth and claw you eventually manage to push your wolf onto the ground with your shield, and from there dispatching it is easier though it is far hardier than a wolf of its size has any right to be, taking several axeslashes to its flanks before bloodloss and collapsing internals put an end to its madness. You look around you hastily, noticing Khami once more tumbling with his foe, far too speedy and in his face for his liking.
As heavy support, he fights best when others are engaged in melee, and is at his worst under the current circumstances. You are unsure if he will prevail on his own.

Skvababt is a marksfrogwoman. Her peak performance was likewise before melee was engaged and she did indeed drop several wolves in the opening bout. That she yet lives is more a testament to her experience as a hunter and natural grace as a frog. She is currently engaged in a deadly game of cat and mouse wolf and frog, were neither seems to have the upper advantage though you know one good bite could spell her end and she has precious little time to let loose another arrow.

There is also the matter of the missing direwolf (honestly at this point presumed dead) and the fourth wolf that has yet to engage. If it were to attack either Skvababt or Khami, the tides would surely turn in lupin favour.

1: Where do you focus your efforts?

A: Support Khami
The two of you can expect to triumph, freeing him up for dealing with the rest of your foes.
Alone, it is likely he will lose, for his role is ill-suited indeed, but he has better armour than Skvababt against this type of enemy.

B: Support Skvababt
The two of you can expect to triumph, freeing her up for dealing with the rest of your foes.
Alone, you are unsure if she would lose, for whilst her role is ill-suited, and though her armour offers inferior protection against this type of enemy, she matches the wolf in dodging prowess.

C: Attack the remaining wolf.
Kill it before it can claim pack-dominance, murder your companions or rustle the dire-wolf or whatever it is attempting to do. It might have just run away. You don't know.

D: Try to get back on ##Nåzom Stegėth##
The cart is stuck and the donkey is panicked. You will have to knock it out or kill it if you want to avoid your cart shaking apart under the strain.
You are absolutely certain that ##Nåzom Stegėth## would kill anything remaining you pointed it at, though wether it would also kill your companions in the process might be a concern.
Also, going for the siege-arbalest will take precious seconds that could be otherwise spent murdering wolves.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Khami is too tangled up with his wolf for our axe to hit the wolf without risking hitting him. Our Frogess can do so with her bow easily, though.

Save the cheerleaderFrog, save the worldChainman

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. A relatively stationary target is easier to get to. Then we can pincer away at the the one attacking our frogbeau.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
A.

Tell frog-lady to just jump up a tree and use her bow. Wolves can't exactly climb.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

Cornuto posted:

A.

Tell frog-lady to just jump up a tree and use her bow. Wolves can't exactly climb.

Sounds good to me

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Cornuto posted:

A.

Ya, also we should look at alternative ammo, a javelin the explote into hundreds of darts perhaps.

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

As for the direwolf? Wether it be from some animalistic want of display of power in-front of it's pack, or behavior more emergent from a sinister intelligence, it has attempted to fetch the stick.

Supersonic fetch huh? I can dig it.

Cornuto posted:

A.

:bandwagon:

Outrail posted:

Ya, also we should look at alternative ammo, a javelin the explote into hundreds of darts perhaps.

Right, because flechette rounds aren't bad karma enough, we need soul-binding flechette rounds, so that we can reap whole fields of souls at a time.

Actually, yeah, yeah we do.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CourValant posted:

Supersonic fetch huh? I can dig it.

:bandwagon:

Right, because flechette rounds aren't bad karma enough, we need soul-binding flechette rounds, so that we can reap whole fields of souls at a time.

Actually, yeah, yeah we do.

I mean yeah eventually we're going to mass produce these things once the Spooky Rim Squad folks find us more muffins. Might as well make shotgun ammo for them.

We're gonna need a series of tarps rather than a business card.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Airburst FOOF rounds with an embedded fletchett element might be more effective soul reapers but all of the above is firmly in my wheelhouse.

We need a gnome. Several.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

A Khami first, then frog lady.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

We need a gnome with dwarfism so they can set up a shop to their scale in the cart.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

Well, I'm jumping on the :bandwagon: but A

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 3
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

Part Twentythree: Guess Who's back?
Current Region: Huddik

Skvababt is acrobatic enough that she should be OK for a while, you reason, especially considering her previous job, so you yell some words of encouragement her way and go to rescue Khami from his vulpine scuffle. Axe in hand, shield in other, you push up against the melee causing the wolf to snap at you, barring it's teeth. You give it a polite nod in turn, taunting it with patience and grace. It backs away slowly, eyes never leaving yours but ears dashing back and forth as if trying to work out where some distant concert was being held. Khami takes this opportunity for a breather before he again whips his chain into action.

Behind you, Skvababt and her wolf continue their deadly dance. She has loosened her quiver and is trying to bop it on the nose like one would b naughty puppy (if one were a terrible person) to little effect. The wolf is making a spirited attempt to tear out her esophagus. Neither have much success. From the small crater the new alpha emerges, the remains of the Dire's head clenched in its jaws almost comically what with the difference in size and temperament. Thick blood is running down the alphas neck, matting it's fur a dark and evil red. It's eyes are black as coal. It's claws trailing miasma.

But, as it turns out, it is not the only contender for the throne.

From the canopy screeches a Niddler, monkey-claw hands perfectly evolved for snatching poorly guarded prizes. The grand-standing alpha is taken completely by surprise, losing its grip on the head it had sought to only safeguard from ground based foes by intimidation alone. But the Niddler is too stupid or stubborn for fear, knowing only spite and survival. It flaps awkwardly at the immense weight pulling it down, a feast for sure for it's family. Actually no, scratch that. A feast for itself. Let all others starve. Speaking of others, here comes the swarm, attracted to the battle by a poor sense of timing and a strong sense of greed. One wolf copse is immediately scavenged by a Niddlerian vanguard as two more sickly looking youths instantly break into fighting over the third. In total, six more Niddlers descend into the fight bringing the total to an even ten. The ones who came too late take to harassing all the previous combatants mostly equally, but it is clear from their movements that they will take advantage of any perceived weakness if it means even an scrap of flesh to their future menu. They have yet to notice your donkey, though not as much for it's prowess at stealth (it has none) but rather that dead food takes precedent over living food, if only slightly.

--

1: You worry that all this racket will only bring more monsters to your location. You worry that the fliers might decide to side with the wolves. You worry, but in the end you decide to..

A: with Khami at your side, rescue Skvababt and regroup, hoping the wolf you are fighting busies itself with the Niddlers.

B: With Khami, dispatch the wolf before it causes more trouble and hope the Niddlers go for the fresh copse over your face.

C: With Khami, cull some Niddlers to bring back order to the battlefield.

D: Split up, letting Khami deal with his foes as he sees fit in the chaos as you make for ##Nåzom Stėgeth## before your donkey shakes itself lose and absconds with it.

E: Something else?
Write-in.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Donkeh!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

But the Niddler is too stupid or stubborn for fear, knowing only spite and survival.

Found our new company's sprit animal.

A: This is a shitshow, abort. Regroup with Khami and Froggo, back to back and withdraw. That makes it 3 on 2 (plus flying dick bags), but might give the archer some breathing space.

E: I guess that's actually a vote for A. I'm voting A

Outrail fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Aug 11, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A- we are only strong together. Let the monsters fight amongst themselves. Our Frogess can take some shots once she and the donkey are safer

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

A. As was our aforementioned plan.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

A, Niddlers aught to be distracting enough to buy us a moment.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

C

Get paid

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

It flaps awkwardly at the immense weight pulling it down, a feast for sure for it's family. Actually no, scratch that. A feast for itself. Let all others starve.

The hell? These things eat meat!??

They just went from flying nuisance to being an actual threat; I can imagine these things ganging up to take down small livestock, children, etc.

You worry, but in the end you decide to..

Vote A: with Khami at your side, rescue Skvababt and regroup, hoping the wolf you are fighting busies itself with the Niddlers.

Time to think about our exit; this mountain is dangerous, best leave while we can, bounty or no.

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

A but regroup at the donkey

The next best target for them is our donkey and if he dies we either have to leave our arbalest here or drag it back ourselves and all the risks that entails

I also like donkeys and don’t want ours to die

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

alpaca diseases posted:

A but regroup at the donkey

The next best target for them is our donkey and if he dies we either have to leave our arbalest here or drag it back ourselves and all the risks that entails

I also like donkeys and don’t want ours to die

+1