Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

CourValant posted:

That's quite the arbalest we got there?

Did the thing upgrade itself? Because I don't recall our 'soul shredder' being this powerful physically, as in, able to talk out a mountainside?

Up until this date, ##Nåzom Stėgeth## has, when not souped up on Cupcakes:
* Split a cow in half
* Pierced and set fire to a giant Rosewood Tree after piercing a Direwolf
* Caused a rockslide

It is a siege weapon, and a pretty potent one by all accounts, but it didn't literally shatter the entire mountain. It shook the erosion-damaged pass up quiet a bit however, and knocked a bunch of boulders loose!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Swedish Thaumocracy posted:

It shook the erosion-damaged pass up quiet a bit however, and knocked a bunch of boulders loose!

Ahhh! Thanks! Appreciate the clarification! :wave:

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Can we load up the magazine, point it at ground zero and Nåzom Stëgeth pogo jump our way to safety*?

*might not be safe.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
We can't rocket jump with a siege weapon (that isn't a rocket launcher), sorry.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Volmarias posted:

We can't rocket jump with a siege weapon (that isn't a rocket launcher), sorry.

I'd like a GM ruling on this one thanks.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Outrail posted:

I'd like a GM ruling on this one thanks.

You can do whatever you like within the constraints of the game! Wether it will work or not is up to physics, as best as the Kobolds involved can guessestimate them.

From what you know of how ##Nåzom Stegėth## works, you can safely assume that shooting the ground would either do nothing [when loaded with cupcake] or .. break the ground? Caus a small earthquake? Kill you? If you shot the ground point blank with regular ammunition loaded.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Well we're the best at shooting our own foot already so

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 3
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

Part twentyeight: Niddler Debriefing
Current Region: Huddik

Though it takes you the better part of the day and the night and the next day as well, eventually you manage to both rest, loot, repair and drag your cart and companions back to safety.
You are not accosted on the way back, perhaps because you killed everything that could possibly be a threat, or more likely that you all carry the stink of three dozen Niddler corpses and other various viscera.
Even monsters have standards, it seems.

---

Millicent Hermington, merchant and Papaya Plantation Owner is of course thrilled, and showers you in papayas as well as imperial currency. [03] wealth and as much fruit as you can carry.
Which considering you brought a cart is enough to cover a whole month of food expenditures and then some, for both you and your recruits and even guests or random passers by.
Probably several months, if you had any place to store or dry them, if you could stomach eating papaya and only papaya for every meal for the rest of the year.
Considering the state of your finances, maybe not such a terrible idea?

---

Another day passes without incident. You are back at headquarters going over your inventory and finances on a broken table supported by a large, unruly boulder, when there is a knock on the frame were a door would hang if you had one.
A visitor! How droll, has word of your deeds spread already?

Of course not, but it is an old 'friend', your jailer, and all around dependable chap, Mr. Hobbson.

"I say, Fate doth seem to be an unruly trickster, when it comes to you and yours Misters IronIronScriptScript.
My inquiries have turned up nothing but dead ends and brick walls and it seems that, for the moment, Justice has been thwarted. What to do about is is our conundrum then.
Without progress forward, your headaches, that I am sure you are acutely aware of, will only worsen I'm afraid. Usually one might try to curry their favour and currency with the Church for some clemency *sigh*.
But in your specific case I'm afraid that is simply impossible, as the fact of the matter is; you do not exist. Officially.
As for myself, I am duty-bound to ensure your transport and law-bound to ensure you stay put. Frankly, I am at a loss.
1: Should I....

A: Keep working the case, try to get the ball rolling again on taking you to Rim for your trial.
This will get him out of your hair for a while, but it would tax the resources of the F.I.B to keep him occupied, and there is always the chance, however small, that he might succeed!

B: Try to work with the Church somehow to loop-hole your terrible geas that you might suffer less as your progress towards Rim is hindered.
Unlikely to work, from what you can tell, and he would always be close by to boot.

C: Listen as you explain the convoluted mess that is the whole story of how you got here and why the world can't afford to have you lost and also apparently non-divine magic exists in some form and there is also a government conspiracy?
Or several?

Telling the truth is always a good idea!

---

[ISTEC HQ]

During the next few days, spent on our lonesome as your team recuperates from damages incurred, you make the following discoveries:

The Ghast-Head-Trophy, which you have yet to sell, has not deteriorated at all from its dehydrated state. In fact, it actually seemed to fatten up a bit once it started raining a night or two ago.
Some quizzical experimentation led you to the following conclusion; that it rather well adapt at absorbing moisture, even regenerating tissue as it does so.
Once exposed to a warm enough heat source however, that moisture is expelled instantly as fog, creating in essence a portable smoke-machine. How useful!

Monster-Item Identified! Ghast-Head-Smoke-Machine! Creates a Medium-Sized Sight-Obscuring Smoke Cloud centered at the item location.
The ingredients necessary for activation are trivial to obtain, but reloading it require some setting up!]

Carefully, you opened the bottle of The liquid fire you salvaged from something that died in the forest during the Niddler Bounty. The moment you unscrewed the cork, the contents started heating up again and so you quickly closed it.
Keeping the wax seal fresh seems to have halted the reaction however, and you are quiet confident you can store this indefinitely at but a trivial cost. As to how you should use it? Who can say.

Monster-Item Identified! The Bottle of Liquid Fire is a one-time-use grenade or potion type item that allows you to coat a small surface with a fire that wont easily go out.
Can be used to create a small supply of fire-arrows, to set something distant on fire, or for other similar purposes. You could also probably sell it!

Likewise, playing around with your Star has taught you its function. Releasing it into the air will cause it to stick to that point in space, as Stars in the Heavens are wont to do. From there it will shine, in the way of stars. That is it.
It radiates no heat, but it twinkles pleasantly at night. It is obviously anomalous and would probably cause quiet a stir if anyone saw you use it.
[Dream-Item Identified!] The Star from the River Ennui can be placed anywhere you choose within [melee] range to create a tiny light source.

---

[ISTEC Inventory]
##Nåzom Stegėth## - A Masterwork Siege Arbalest
The nigh indestructible right and left Waspable Gauntlets
A custom-built, heirloom, Masterwork Waraxe.
A set of medium quality light leather armour.
A shield, dented, wood with metal trimmings. It is broken, useless.
A box of delectable Ethereal RimRose Cupcakes that do not appear to spoil. There are [04] left.
A priceless, if blank, parchment, in actual fact a mysterious Artifact that makes people think you have a valid ID. Don't lose it.
An ITEC Business-card.
Dream Star of the River Ennui. Portable light source.
Bottle of Liquid Fire. One use. It's liquid fire. What CAN'T you do with it? Trivial Upkeep cost.
Ghast-Head-Smoke-Machine. Creates a Medium sized smoke cloud at the item location. Re-Loadable. Trivial Upkeep cost.
The clothes on your body.
A small collection of maps of the Empire.
A Cart Full of Papayas. Food for... a long time.
You have [03] Wealth to your name.

---

[ISTEC Reputation]
Daalig | Overall : Well-Liked. Missing, presumed dead.
Huddik | Outskirts | That One Gray Ooze You Found : Appreciated
Huddik | Overall : Unknown
Huddik | Whale | Overall : Unknown
Huddik | Whale | The Dorsal | Known, Indifferent.
Huddik | Whale | Guild of Merchants : Known, Indifferent.
Huddik | Whale | Rabble of Urchins : Known. ???

[Reputation affects, amongst a great deal other thins, mission availability and recruitment opportunities.]

[Local Known Contacts]
Agent Muld-ha-Ihr of the F.I.B.
Agent Skellige of the F.I.B.
Ivana Sendvļc of ISTEC, liason to the F.I.B.
Millicent Hermington of the Merchants Guild of Whale.
Mr. Hobbson of the Imperial Bureaucracy.
The Street-Urchins of Whale.

[Contacts can be approached for dialog, bounties, trade and other matters as is appropriate. They may also approach you independently.]

---

[ISTEC HQ Status]

You are the proud owner of a ramshackle shack, a crater, and a pile of rubble. Also apparently a spooky ghost-house, but that's neither here nor there.
It offers you no benefits aside from a place to sleep.
It can house [01] people with only major discomfort.
It can house your kit, ##Nåzåm Stegėth## and nothing else in storage, to only major discomfort.
Upkeep is [trivial], Costing you [00] wealth per month.

---

[ISTEC Recruits]
Skvababt: A Frogwoman, she wields a Longbow and wears "leather" armour. Monthly Upkeep: 01 wealth.
Khami: A Human male, he wears chainmail and wields a length of chain. Monthly Upkeep: 01 wealth.
##Nåzom Stėgeth##: A masterwork Siege-Arbalest. It is well maintained. Monthly Upkeep: trivial.
Yourself, kind of. You are two dwarves and a cow. You wield a custom-built, heirloom, Masterwork Waraxe. You wear medium quality leather armour and nigh-indestructible Waspable-Stone Gauntlets.

---

2: What next for you, Misters IronIronScriptScript?
You been away from action for the last couple of days. You expect any contracts you knew of before to have lapsed. Looks like you'll have to find new ones or wait until something interesting happens!

D: Work on your plot of land, moving rocks around and in general improving the state of things until something interesting happens.
Minor upkeep, tiring, but your place of residence will eventually improve from Abject Squalor.

E: Schmooze
Walk around town and see what happens! Get to know your neighbors, why don't you?
Write-in optional. Do you want to find someone, or some thing? Chances are they or it exists in this city of perhaps a million citizens or more?

F: Something Else?
Write-in.

3: And for your recruits?
G: Spread ISTEC brand awareness.
Go looking for active bounties, as they likely won't come to you.

H: Search for Recruits!
You have some money now. Perhaps some more people would help you take on more difficult jobs?

I: Training.
The fact that you don't have the facilities to train them in is no excuse to slouch. They can still swing their weapons at the air and shoot invisible targets. Hut hut!

J: Just Relax until further notice.
They are still somewhat bruised from the recent mission, but morale is high. Giving them some time off will make sure their health and morale improves.

K: Something Else?
Write-in.

---

[ISTEC Wealth and Calender Status]
You have [03] Wealth to your name. For meta-gaming ease of calculation, we shall assume that today is the first day of the new month, which just so coincidentally happens to be the last of the year.

It is the the equivalent of Monday, the 1st of December, year 347 After Rim.
You owe [02] wealth in salaries and upkeep at the end of the month.
You have a headache. You should go to Rim.
Good luck.

If you have any further questions, do not hesitate to ask!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I guess CE, tell him the truth, see how he takes it, and then go get some quotes on how much building a proper guildhouse here would be? Also enquire about any other jobs that need doing, so we have enough to pay for it.

Also, give the local urchins some papaya.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!
CDH!

I really enjoy the 'building a monster-hunting HQ and squad' part of this CYOA. Upgrade all the things!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

BDJ

Sorry, that's classified :smuggo:

We could always ask Mulder and Scully about bringing him in on the conspiracy. Letting Javert know that it's not only important but Governmentally OK that we be here could be a huge load off for everyone.

Captainicus
Feb 22, 2013

CDH

Let us build up home base and look for some more recruits! We won't be much good against larger monsters with just the 3 of us!

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Vote: C: Listen as you explain the convoluted mess that is the whole story of how you got here and why the world can't afford to have you lost and also apparently non-divine magic exists in some form and there is also a government conspiracy?

Volmarias posted:

We could always ask Mulder and Scully about bringing him in on the conspiracy. Letting Javert know that it's not only important but Governmentally OK that we be here could be a huge load off for everyone.

Yes, let's try to loop him in; we need all the resources we can get our hands on at the moment, better to have him 'pulling' with us than against us.

2: What next for you, Misters IronIronScriptScript?

Vote: D: Work on your plot of land, moving rocks around and in general improving the state of things until something interesting happens.

3: And for your recruits?

Vote: H: Search for Recruits! You have some money now. Perhaps some more people would help you take on more difficult jobs?

We need a bigger team if we're to take on more lucrative contracts.

Nettle Soup posted:

Also, give the local urchins some papaya.

Also this. Time to rebuild our network of pauper spies.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

AEH

Right now we should look for an alchemist and I'm sure a theater or something would be interested in the smoke machine.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Trouble on the Rim - You are two dwarves and a cow

Anyone else find it funny that a) we are a monster hunter in a fantastic world where nature and the physical laws themselves are revolting, b) we are an accountant, c) we spend much of our time blindly blundering from near death catastrophe to reality bending victory and d) our only real ongoing problem is we're broke?

I love it.

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
2.D
3.G

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

CDEIJ

So funny story...

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

1 -

Volmarias posted:

and if itļæ½s a legit option, C

2 - D But get urchins to do it. Pay them in papaya

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Can we...maybe start up a Papaya Booze Business? Use our in with the plantation owner to get a reasonably priced supply, maybe spend a few wealth to set the thing up? Seems a Dwarfy thing to do given our financial circumstances, wont draw any odd looks.

OMG I so want papaya liqueur now. :stare:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree

Blasphemaster posted:

Can we...maybe start up a Papaya Booze Business? Use our in with the plantation owner to get a reasonably priced supply, maybe spend a few wealth to set the thing up? Seems a Dwarfy thing to do given our financial circumstances, wont draw any odd looks.

OMG I so want papaya liqueur now. :stare:

Changing my vote to this

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer

Blasphemaster posted:

Can we...maybe start up a Papaya Booze Business?

Most new business ventures fail. That is simply a fact of life. Similarly, even those business ventures that are successful need investment capital to start up, and will undoubtedly make a net loss during the first few years of their existence.
Aside from the fact that this is a game about monster hunting, there is also the small matter of you not officially existing, not being a member of the Guild of Merchants nor the Guild of Brewers AND you currently being Geased by the God of Money into having to travel to another city, half the world away.

That is to say; even if it were not for the fact that this is a game about monster hunting, attempting to switch careers in this manner in your current situation will fail dramatically. There is no conceivable way for it to work. I am sorry.

Blasphemaster
Jul 10, 2008

Is it illegal to homebrew? Could probably at least help with morale.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
CDG, we need to be a better more truthful double dwarf cow in the future. Be honest and do a good days work

CourValant
Feb 25, 2016

Do You Remember Love?

Slaan posted:

CDG, we need to be a better more truthful double dwarf cow in the future. Be honest and do a good days work

Hear Hear.

Swedish Thaumocracy
Jul 11, 2006

Strength of >800 Men
Honor of 0
Grimey Drawer
Trouble on the Rim, Book 2, Chapter 4
The City of Whale, Eastern Outskirts

Part 1: Boulders and Brawlers
Current Region: Huddik

Soon enough you settle into your new daily routine, pushing boulders. It is great exercise for both stamina and strength and a good focus to keep the worst of your headache at bay. By this point, it is not unlike having to deal with a particularly nasty cold, which coincidentally you have also developed after spending your days and nights performing backbreaking labour without a roof over your head. Normally you would head to the local temple, participate in some light worship and come out fresh of both body and soul, but these are not normal times and so you must suffer through the hardship.

Third of December, 347 A.R.

With a mighty heave you push the last stone into place and admire your work. A full tenth of the debris field cleared by your hand! At this rate, you should be done by the end of the month, paving the way for future construction. As you consider what might be, the proverbial camera pans around to reveal the fruits of your labour, or at least a proposed fruit based future...

A: A Cellar

You clear the rubble but ferry it around in such a way that it aligns to form a formidable wall around the inside of the crater. Your very own cellar! And without the usual hassle of deep excavation.
+1 cellar
+- the hexes currently occupied by the crater will be used for this purpose
+the debris will be cleared

B: A Foundation

You cleared the stones by pushing most of them back into the hole. Most, but not all.
The rest you laid out in a rectangular fashion such as they might be the foundation for a future construction project.
+1 foundation.
+- the hexes currently occupied by the crater will be used for this purpose

C: A Small Fence

What better way to mark your territory than with rows of stone? It won't be very high or offer much of anything in the way of defence but it is sure to make you noticed, and good marketing is easily half of monster hunting.
+Local reputation
+1 tiny stone wall
- all outermost grid squares
-the crater will remain a hole in the ground

D: ???

You saw something in your dreams. The outline of the house that once stood here. If you concentrate, you can almost feel its presence even when you are awake. It's weak, and you realize, fading. But if you moved the stones just right, maybe you could anchor it in place?
-3x3 grid space.
+1 ???
-the crater will remain a hole in the ground

E: Just clear it out!

You want as much space as possible but have no idea what should go where, yet.
Maximizes plot customisability.
the crater will be filled.

---

Building is not the only thing on your mind, and indeed not the only thing that occupies your day. Word on the street is that you are hiring, and so a few desperate souls have actually showed up to offer their lives in your service in exchange for cold, hard cash.

Editors Note: [ISTEC] Monster Slaying Lisence stipulates Ivana Sėndvic, your qoute unqoute boss, may maintain a roster of up to ten recruits, of which You, Skvababt and Khami are three, leaving you with seven slots unfilled.

These are the current prospects...

"Poor" Gwendolyn

Voted least unfortunate urchin two weeks in a row, Gwendolyn is of the ripe, fighting age of thirteen.
She lost her parents to gnolls some ten years back and has been spending the intervening years caring for her brother.
She has zero martial combat skills, though is well versed in urban survival and has some knowledge of the Whale sewer system, urchin-culture and street life. She has a keen mind and is eagre to learn whatever position you wish to put her in, asking only that if she dies you pay the remainder of her [01 wealth/active month] salary in full to her brother.

+slight reputation gain with the local Urchins
-unequipped

Larin "The Fisherman" Estoban

A 23 year old with the body of a 47 year old, life has not been kind to Mr. Estoban. Also an orphan (like so many others in this city) Larin attempted to feed himself on the bounty of the seas, only to come into frequent brawls with other, older urchins and street-thugs who thought that his meager catches would look better on their table. The end result is a body with more scar tissue than fat, though there is an considerable amount of fat as well as he actually won a fair number of those previously mentioned scraps. Larin is nothing if not a survivor and knows his way around the harbour district (colloquially The Flippers) as well as the low-class residential district in which ISTEC is housed (the Dorsals). He knows how to throw a javelin and the basics of spearmanship and has some knowledge of local water-based dangers and opportunities.
He demands the standard [01 wealth/active month] as salary.

+ Comes with his own javelin and basic fishing equipment!
- Slight reputation demerit with the local street gangs

Lado.

Some people are in the job for fame, others for money.
But there is a third category. The people who frankly just like to kill things.
Meet Lado.
No questions asked. No questions answered.

??? He seems... competent?
- Not the friendliest fellow, nor the chattiest.

Jacob "Patchwork" Rhodes

Mr. Rhodes was a monster hunter, right up until his previous company ran into more than it could handle and subsequently disbanded due to the deaths of most everyone involved. For his part, Mr. Rhodes escaped with his life, post traumatic stress disorder, several deliberating wounds and a massive vengeance complex. An experienced swordsman and monster hunter, Mr. Rhodes knows the Krills (the area surrounding Whale consisting of mostly farmland and sparse forest) like the back of his hand. The good one, with four fingers.

-Permanently Crippled
+ Has His Own Equipment
+Previous Monster Hunting Experience

---

:siren: Editors Note: Payment is up-front for the first month, meaning you can hire at most three of the people present, though you may want to save some of your money for equipment, upkeep, other salaries and for unknown emergencies! :siren:

---

City Mappe, for your viewing pleasure!

1: The Stocks
- Old mining village, home to the local Church of Toil. If you can find it.
2: The Rostrum
- Nice, safe and prestigious residential area. The City Militia are an ever present sight.
3: The Baleens
- Less nice, less safe residential area. Home to the Church of Lolth. Largeish Drow population.
4: The Ventrals
- High-Class Merchant district. Do not cause any trouble here.
5: The Flippers
- The Docks. Wether you cause it or not, trouble will probably find you if you stay here over-long.
6: The Ridge
- Low-class residential district ruled by gangs. Very poor.
7: The Fin
- Middle-class residential district. Ivana Sźndvic, your liason to the F.I.B is based here.
8: The Dorsal
- Home sweet home. Industrial district where explosions are as common as blacklung.
9: The Melon
- The Palace, Church of Quackeen and main Forum of Whale all reside here.
10: The Notch
- High-Class residential. The crčme de la crčme.
11: The Krill
- Farmland and sparse forests, everything outside the city walls.

---

[ISTEC Wealth and Calender Status]
You have [03] Wealth to your name.
Today is the Third of December, 347 A.R.
You owe [02] wealth in salaries and upkeep at the end of the month.
You have a headache. You should go to Rim.
The Results of speaking to Mr. Hobbson will have to wait until the next update, as they require more Kobold Processing Power then what is available at the moment.
Question Time with everyone present is open, save Lado. He just doesn't feel like answering any questions.

Swedish Thaumocracy fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 25, 2018

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Uh, these people seem.... poo poo?

Maybe we shouldn't hire anyone for now and only take jobs we can handle with our current competent people. Also the duck is going to show up at some point and she covers the barely competent suicidal dumbass slot well enough.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
A: We are a Dwarves and thus we like the underground. We need a cellar for the Dwarf parts of us, plus it'll be useful in the future for keeping prisoners, experiments, hiding from the authorities, etc

Hire Gwendolyn if she can prove to us she knows how to drum up business. See if she can get the urchins to find a new job or five for us to prove her worth

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
D Mystery box ghost house! Who knows what we could use if for??

None of these desperate ones. We really need a medic more than anything.

Cornuto
Jun 26, 2012

For the pack!

Dr Subterfuge posted:

None of these desperate ones. We really need a medic more than anything.

Do we though? I feel like our past medic was useless as poo poo, complained a lot, and never really healed anyone.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

Cornuto posted:

Do we though? I feel like our past medic was useless as poo poo, complained a lot, and never really healed anyone.

Ideally the new one would be a combat medic that isn't all wound up about his brothers getting in danger.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Slaan posted:

A: We are a Dwarves and thus we like the underground. We need a cellar for the Dwarf parts of us, plus it'll be useful in the future for keeping prisoners, experiments, hiding from the authorities, etc

Hire Gwendolyn if she can prove to us she knows how to drum up business. See if she can get the urchins to find a new job or five for us to prove her worth

This. Plus urchins mean eyes and ears watching from beneath the notice of the common folk

Akumu
Apr 24, 2003

Cornuto posted:

A field medic isn't a magical healer. Their primary job is to stabilize people until they can get comprehensive treatment, in this case from some godly miracles most likely.

The fact that nobody died (except for Kvelar, RIP) after getting pretty severely shot, stabbed, and bashed is testament to his usefulness.

In any case, I think having inroads with the local urchin community could be pretty helpful. I'm in favor of hiring Gwendolyn, with the understanding that the main goal of her employ is to tap into the urchin whisper network. We can give her martial training but she definitely won't be useful on hunts for a long time. We should lay this out for her and see how she feels about it.

Lars might have some use to bolster our ranks but I think our cash flow isn't wide enough to pick up more than one new employee right now.

The other two seem like they'd be more trouble than they're worth.

We should make A, a cellar for storage purposes. We'll want to be harvesting monster parts as we hunt and the opportunities to use or sell them might not be immediate.

AbysmalPeptoBismol
Feb 5, 2016

Nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach, diarrhea!

I'm mighty tempted by the mystery ghost building, though I'm also the kinda guy that would seriously consider taking the mystery prize instead of the boat. "Who knows what could be in the box, it might even be another boat!"

alpaca diseases
May 19, 2009

A and

Outrail posted:

Uh, these people seem.... poo poo?

Maybe we shouldn't hire anyone for now and only take jobs we can handle with our current competent people. Also the duck is going to show up at some point and she covers the barely competent suicidal dumbass slot well enough.

+1 this

why suddenly pay for a urchin when both they’re currently a semi-free renewable resource as it is, and the slot they’d take is filled with someone who is also in line to get a incredibly dece paladin sword

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
If we go with gwendoltlynn we should push her towards Sneaky Medic instead of Fighty Gurl. She's already used to keeping her brother alive and being an urchin.

She's also desperate, so we could make a deal: We'll pay for your training and provide lodging and food her and her amenic sickly brother instead of payment.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
How feasible is it to get Gwendoltlynn training as a medic?

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

D
I'd have gone with the cellar but mystery spot sounds like something to investigate.

Jacob might not be in the best shape but his knowledge might be valuable.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Dr Subterfuge posted:

How feasible is it to get Gwendoltlynn training as a medic?

Probably not very if we keep calling her an idiot :v:

Lanky Coconut Tree
Apr 7, 2011

An angry tree.

The angriest tree
D

Medic training for Gwendolyn seems like a good idea, but we won't pay her instead we'll provide food & lodging for them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nothingtoseehere
Nov 11, 2010

Don't hire a urchin

Members of our crew are mostly about adding extra bodies to the front line. An urchin is useless in combat, so why bother?

C - walls are good, walls mark that there is something of note in the field. The mystery box sounds neat but who knows...