Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
If we don't make the kobold our main battle tank using that plate armor we got I will be sad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
Take the baby, if anyone asks us about it later we say it's clearly a gnome that hosed up an experiment. I mean really a group of monster hunters with a kobold? Preposterous

Y'all need to fight the system of racial oppression and genocide. Our corporation is an equal opportunity employer/enslaver. Also if someone ends up killing him we can demand bloodgeld for the killing of our friend/prisoner/slave and then we can take the crown. Plus if its bigger by then I assume the crown will be too and thus worth more.

So tldr version : If we kill it now we get a small immediate bonus but if we wait and see where this goes we might get anything from a kicking rad trap master to a better payout when/if the crown grows. Or a recurring villain if it escapes which would be fun too.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Apr 12, 2016

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

paradoxGentleman posted:

Remember, they are brutish, uncivilized beasts, and pack hunters at that. I'll bet that they won't stick around to fight should one or two of their numbers fall.

Its specifically mentioned that they know no fear so we will have to Channel Johnny Rico and kill them all.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Theantero posted:

B

Accounting shall see us through!

This, plus if we have to get into a legal word battle we should point out that in all the dreams we were in we were an active and dominant participant while he was a bystander.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Would remembering the weird alternate shadow dimension gently caress anything up? Like maybe the deer thing will see him because dimension fuckery. Lets do that.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Tell him everything, including up till the part where he asks us to tell him everything so you tell him everything including the part where he ask you to...

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

FOOF

We have a chance to use high explosives on sort of diety monster thing from legend. Why the hell wouldn't you. Also if there is any way to make the thieves get caught in the blast we will be covered since our writ covers collateral damage.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Batter up!

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

See if you can get a fuckton of gears or something and just jam them right into his wound, make a deal with Toil leasing him out for a job for a bit in order to heal him? But the gears are important so we should totally jam some into him just in case.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CourValant posted:

E

"Bandit-Meg, enough. I am out of patience with you and your joke of a gang. Here is what's going to happen. You're going to help us take down this Ankheg. In return, we'll let you walk out of here with your lives, and your gear. Otherwise, that scout of ours is putting a feathered shaft into each one of you, and we'll sell your corpse the same way we'll sell that Ankheg."

This (E)
Except put an arrow into one of their legs so the commotion attracts the Ankheg, while they weaken it and die we can strike from behind and take it out. gently caress em and see about getting a license that lets us deal with people interfering with our work later.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Where does enchanting people with magical bullshit fall on the actions that can lead to self defense spectrum?

Enchanting someone to fall asleep when and where there is a man eating monster around sounds like murder. More so when they have already shot at us before. I think we could take them in court.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:42 on Feb 1, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Also I would argue that negotiations ceased the moment he pulled the magical bullshit, this then led to him getting shot by an arrow, in retaliation for the magical bullshit. It was reactionary and she also had no way of knowing we actually fell asleep instead of dying, besides the possible word of some bandits.

gently caress it bring the court case on they have nothing on us.

Edit: We were asleep when he died, It would be very hard to argue that we were aware and the situation was under " our watch".

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Feb 1, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CourValant posted:

That's generally not how 'Tort' works.

Any harm and or damages resulting from the execution of our 'mission charter' would technically render ITEC liable for those acts.

Now, when you kill monsters, they're not citizens of the empire, so they're not afforded those rights and protection.

Collateral damage, eh, our employers have been looking the other way because 'stuff' breaks when there are monsters around.

Killing citizens of the empire because it was more convenient while we fulfill a contract? That's not clear cut whatsoever (I believe Swedish posted about that a few updates ago).

At best, we're open to a big case of 'wrongful death'; at worst, criminally liable around the Murder 2 area.

I hardly think self defense is an issue of convenience though?

Edit: My main point is I think given all the factors I think we have very good odds in court.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Feb 1, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I think there is a working understanding that there is magical poo poo in this world, I find it hard to believe given golem factories, gnomes alchemists, slimes and what not a court is going to go "What! A magic flute that puts people to sleep? Don't be ridiculous"

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 2, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CourValant posted:

Wow. Bravo. That is some mental gymnastics right there.

Let's say the court is willing to entertain this argument (since this empire seems to be based on literal interpretation of contract law), how do you prove that the flute had a 'magical, monstrous' affect on you?

As far as I can tell, its all 'He Said, He Said' right now?

Go under some truth spell? Have the court appointed mage check the flute for traces of magic?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Yeah we barely know anything about the laws that would apply to this besides we can't just out and out kill people, there should be something on the books about hindering monster hunters during an active contract though because if there isn't that is just bad planning.

We should give the guy on hand first aid, and try to get him help or whatever. But those slimes can be better used to save more lives than just him. If the Empire is really really focused on contracts like everyone says it is then us keeping to our end of the contract and delivering all the slimes as promised to save lives or whatever will be looked on favorably.

It would also be kinda lovely of us to use the slimes that could be used to help the boa wounded to help this dude who tried to murder us to try to assuage our guilt or whatever. I believe we have a ethical, legal and professional responsibility to tend to his wounds and rush him to help but no more.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Feb 2, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

If the less then lethal methods do in fact end up being lethal what then?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions.

I think we should help him as best as we can without using the slimes or contracted related resources, if we get taken to court I believe we have enough evidence and mitigating circumstances that we will get the best possible outcome.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Outrail posted:

What about giving the final surviving bandit her poo poo back and telling her to never, ever come back. We then bury the death certificate and tell the authorities that he must have run away in the confusion.

If the slime engineer protests I guess must she ran away with the Drow. So romantic.

Death certificates seem to have the divine ability to not be hidden so we will bury it and then a badger or whatever will decide to make its burrow where we did so and it will conveniently be out in the open again

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

I mean, who would be able to say that they didn't shoot first at Skvabat?

Would the courts use divine truth telling? For all they know the ANkheg burst out and then a full out battle begun and the bandits tried to betray us.

I don't even think we have to lie, and if we did and they did use divine truth telling I think Meg will have to say things that work in our favor.

I honestly think we can be honest and upfront, the bandits were aggressively hindering us during the pursuit of an active contract, we were armed with less lethal (Wooden) weapons and we sadly had to engage due to time constraints (them running off with the contract goals, too risky to get guards). During a stand off where we tried to negotiate a peaceful resolution the wounded/now dead bandit did *something* that put us to sleep which set off an unfortunate chain of events given the high tensions due to situation and also presence of a monster. After the monster was defeated we did everything we could to help him but we sadly decided that fulfilling contract and healing the helpless victims of the Boa was more important then expending the resources to save this one life.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Feb 2, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

What is a murderous bandit if not a manlike monster?

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ha. Did we started to get haunted after we killed the cow? This is so dumb

We are *character name*, dwarf accountant and commander of ITEC. If anyone wishes to haunt us please present the appropriate forms. This disregard for Imperial Dreaming Standards will not stand.

Cows do not have thumbs so we should be in the clear.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

G.This is working on DF style ghost it seems so if we make a slab memoralizing the cow we should be good. Here lies Bessy the cow, one with grass.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Wait is the consumption of otherwise normal sentients common place because honestly if "Does not like the gods" is ground for being marked as an acceptable food source thats kinda hosed. Something something something we are the real monsters.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Who, or what, isn't Panacea? In list form please..

Alternatively lets use our knowledge of accounting and loopholes to essentially do the old joke about the lawyer and the genie who says you cant wish for more wishes.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Apr 18, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

CourValant posted:

A

I am sick and tired of trying to save that stupid duck. This is the last time she ignores our battle plans. Good luck, crazy duck, catch you next life.

Also, there's no time to dally on accountancy; Swedish was quite clear, the next few seconds is make or break, and we're not spending it via analysis paralysis.

A
The duck has been trash besides being a heavy hitter since she joined, which is moot point because she is going to cause the problems we have to then hit. Have fun being squashed duck.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 02:41 on May 23, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Wait, is our employees gear ours or the company?ST's above post make it seem like its the companies. If its ours then shouldnt the sword she was going to get go to us.

Something along the lines of "As an employee of ITEC the decedent know formally as Abagail had no privilege or powers to make or be a recipient of an independent oath,bond,promise, curse or other wordly binding on her own behalf, seperate from the company during her term of employment. Therefore the rightful holder and recipient of the oath is the Company known as ITEC and upon completion of the one (1) year deadline ownership of the sword should revert to the ITEC company holdings where it may be loaned to an employee of ITEC in the pursuit of ITEC goals and profits."

Also Quackeen is literally the god of capitalism and profits, I highly doubt she will care about Abigail unless her death causes a loss in profits.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 22:35 on May 23, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nyaa posted:

Or better, employee are our property.:agesilaus:

Honestly given the setting they might be.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

We are supposed to provide equipment for them to do their job. I expect that if they leave we get to keep it.

BUT the Paladin will give HER the sword, so if she dies it would probably go to her next of kin. But two things happen here, the way I see it. I don't think she has any other family, and we are friends, so we would get to keep it. AND when she dies she'll probably die in the field of battle. Which means we can finish the fight and then claim her equipment as spoils or salvage right or whatever.

I feel confident in saying the Palandin wouldn't give the sword to us if Abfail dies before.

Your same argument for us getting to keep the sword if she dies in battle could feasibly be used for us receiving the sword when she dies before the year is up. Id also rather not have people start crafting lovely plans just to off her and get her sword.

I feel confident that we could rule lawyer our way into getting the sword if she dies now, especially if we can make a case to the church of Toil that the sword would be used to fulfill the same jobs it would if it was given to her, with the added benefit of more jobs give our company's (hopefully longer) lifespan. For was Abagial not a cog in the larger machine that was ITEC?

I also honestly don't want to spend every contract trying to save her from herself before that year is up. Plus this is a chance to continue our reputation as that one mortal who lawyers the gently caress up when approached with anything mystical or divine.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 23, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Mr. Nemo posted:

Ah yes, if there is one thing Gods love is when mortals try to outplay them, that has never worked poorly for anyone. Not meant in an aggressive tone.

I feel like Abgail is annyoing and a liability, but she's saves our lives at least once I remember. With more training she could be useful. I don't want to kill her, but if she continues this way I won't be too upset when she croaks quacks.

Its less us outplaying them and more contractural law is appears to be a huge part of this setting which even gods follow and we would be idiots to not use that. Plus Toil is a god that seems pretty easy to play to, Abagail is basically a cog in the machine that is ITEC, we can do the same if not better job with the sword, etc etc.

Honestly if she does not die now Im going to vote to fire her, we dont need someone who we need to train and also restrain from getting them selves killed. I do hope she does die because shes going to hold a grudge if we fire her and gently caress off to another company.

Edit: like this is not us having them turn into a mouse so we can stomp on them or whatever its us utilizing a system of contracts and laws that almost all the gods seem to follow.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 23:41 on May 23, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Edit: I have no idea what happened here

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 00:20 on May 24, 2017

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

alpaca diseases posted:

Toil has promised the sword to Abigail, through the word of his Paladin, upon his death

In literally no way can this be interpreted as/lawyered into us having a claim to it should Abigail be unable to receive it

We literally contractually rule lawyered our way out of bad dreams, Im willing to see what loopholes we can use about employee property and magic swords.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Nyaa posted:

No no it is Demarcation that is blind and Theodice is the one with the greatly wounded leg.

E. This

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

sheep-dodger posted:

Clearly, whoever we are, we now have a legal argument that we're no longer bound by our contract with the goddess. :colbert:

This is worth a shot. We must abuse the wacky legalities of this world to the fullest.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Whoa whoa whoa, how the hell does she get to stipulate our company structuring and leadership.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

dont be mean to me posted:

Legally there is no 'us' yet.

Yes but why is she acting like she is in the postion to be able to dictate those restructuring/leadership roles. Isnt that something that the regulatory monster hunting board or whatever should do. She is talking and acting like she controls and owns ITEC when she is someone we had a contract with.

If she wants that power then she needs to become a major shareholder and support our company via cash or divine favor on a constant basis. :colbert:

Im going to Vote C. We hosed up but also kinda did not so lets just cut our loses and go deal with this fusion thing without her over our head.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Jun 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

Skellybones posted:

The two highest postions in the company were held by Dwarf Dude and Dwarf Cousin. Neither of those entities seem to exist now so leadership falls down to the next guy.

Thats a fair point. Im not too keen on her making us take an escort which we will have to pay for though.