Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Have you ever wanted to do the Hollywood style bomb defusal? Told to cut a red wire when there is none? Press a button that says "Detonate" even though you know that's probably a terrible idea? Play Simon Says and hold on -- what's this about Who's on First?

Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes is a local multiplayer game. One player actually plays the game on the computer to defuse the bomb, while everyone else is the bomb defusal "expert" and has to tell the player how to not explode themselves by reading instructions on the manual. Sounds fun? Here's the catch: the "experts" can't see the bomb and the player can't see the manual. Don't forget, the clock is ticking.

The Bomb. There is a backside as well, with batteries, lights, and the serial number on the sides somewhere.

Each bomb is randomly generated, with up to 11 different kinds of modules that all need to be disarmed. Now, the modules can be done in any order so you don't have that to worry about. Some modules require simply cutting specific wires, some modules require doing a few logic tests a few times in a row. Most bombs give you three strikes before you explode, but each strike speeds up the timer. If this sounds imposing, don't worry, there are multiple difficulties of bombs, and the game gradually introduces modules to you starting with the easiest.

• Horizontal Wires: 3-6 wires, cut the correct one to disarm the module.
  • The Button: Based on the label and color of the button, you need to press it and let go at a certain time.
  • Keypad: You have four buttons that look pretty much like wingdings. Press them in a specific order.
  • Simon Says: Like the game, except you don't follow it in order, you create a different order based on the serial number and the number of strikes.
  • Who's On First: Module displays a word, and you have six buttons. Figure out which one's the right thing to hit. Wait, did you say "Your", "You're", or "Ur?"
  • Number Memory: Module displays a number, press the right numbered button. Wait, what was the label of the first one I pressed?
  • Morse Code: Decode the signal and set the proper radio frequency. You guys all know morse code, right?
  • Vertical Wires: Read the four-factor venn diagram and tell me whether or not I'm supposed to cut the red-blue wire with the LED!
  • Wire Sequences: Okay, was this the third time we've seen the module show us a red wire? Alright, cut the blue one--no wait!
  • Maze: You have the map, I know where I am, guide me out of here!
  • Password: Okay, if the first letter is A, then I think the password is "again", wait, you don't have an N? Umm...

And I don't even know how Needy Modules work yet.

The Manual. You don't need to print it off, but it might help! You can find it at https://www.bombmanual.com.

For new players, I recommend you spend about 10 minutes flipping through the manual, and read up on the first page of Wires, Button, and Keypad. Play through the tutorial (which uses inactive bombs) and the first bomb the game gives you has one of each of those, so if you're all new, you might want to try that one together just so you have a rough idea what the player is looking at. After that, just start through the Bomb folder for the "campaign", and have at it. There's also a Freeplay option, but it looks like it'll randomly select from all the modules, so probably stick to the main line of bombs unless you're really a masochist.

You only need one copy of the game to play, and the bomb manual is free to download and print off. If you want to get good at the game, you'll probably want to play as both the defuser and expert at various points. Or just go hog wild and invite all your friends over and pass game around. After all, what's better than a bomb defusal expert? Three of them talking over each other!

Also the manual seems like it's going to update, so we might be seeing more modules or just rule changes in the future. Who knows what will happen? Well, other than everyone dying.

Oh yeah, the game is also VR compatible. I don't know much about that.

The game is available for $15, but for the first week of release you can get it for 10% off (Until October 14th). A bit expensive, but remember you only need one copy to play, and this costs just as much as a board game. Honestly it plays like one. The steam page said no more discounts until six months from release, and I wouldn't be surprised to see it on various humble bundles when that time comes.

Misc. Links

Game website: https://www.keeptalkinggame.com
Bomb manual: https://www.bombmanual.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/KeepTalkingGame
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/KeepTalkingGame

EDIT: We got stickied! Let's put that to good use.

Krysmphoenix posted:

:havlat: Post in here if you wanna find some goons to play with! (I know I sure do) This is a game that requires having people around, and Skype works perfectly fine since you don't even need to share a screen. Reminder, you don't even need a game to be an expert! And having the game doesn't say how likely you are at getting everyone killed!

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Nov 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I have played this game. It is both complete and utter horseshit...and a drat good time.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

I have played this game. It is both complete and utter horseshit...and a drat good time.

Hey, next time I'm making you defuse. And we haven't gotten to the real horseshit yet.

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?
This game is awesome. After seeing some videos of the harder difficulties, not sure if they could be done with just two people. It looks like it's easily expandable too with different manuals. It would be neat if they built in steam workshop support.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Yeah, I haven't read too much of the promotional stuff (really just found out about the game a few days ago), but it seems like there's plenty of room to keep going on with crazy bullshit.

I'm a little scared of allowing steam workshop for this game though. It's nice having the manual all in once place. The only way I could see the workshop working is if each one was a full-replacement mod, but that's more work than more people are willing to do.

Dr. McReallysweet
Sep 12, 2006

The possibility of physical and mental collapse is now very real. No sympathy for the Devil, keep that in mind. Buy the ticket, take the ride.
Watched a few videos on this. Looks fun with the right group of people/goons.
Looks similar to the mobile game called spaceteam aka, my mothers favorite ios game ever.

Excelsiortothemax
Sep 9, 2006
How does it work with steam? If I buy a copy everyone else that doesn't have one can still play from their own computers?

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me

Excelsiortothemax posted:

How does it work with steam? If I buy a copy everyone else that doesn't have one can still play from their own computers?

Only the person actually interacting with the bomb needs the game. The rest can just read the manual for free on the website and guide them.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
They can also defuse the bomb off of your computer :ssh:

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Got a bit further in, my first experience with the Password and Wire Sequence modules. Both are utter horseshit, though the Wire Sequence might not be too bad with some management.

Also things I did not realize can happen: the lights will randomly flicker off, the alarm clock will randomly buzz on, and the red background light will flash (although I think that's if you're near the time limit)

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
The Morse Code modules seem to be loving Bullshit, but I'll probably get the hang of them soon. This game is loving awesome and everyone should buy it.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!
This game is awesome and I have played it a bunch but have not bought it yet

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
One day left until the Steam sale ends!

Also, if you guys want to use this space to find partners to defuse or give your "expert" advice, go right ahead.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
This game is seriously so much fun. Please defuse responsibly though, don't be a stoned Expert, or a drunk defuser. The other way round is probably ok.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Yoshimo posted:

This game is seriously so much fun. Please defuse responsibly though, don't be a stoned Expert, or a drunk defuser. The other way round is probably ok.
I can confirm that this game is much more fun with a stoned defuser and drunk expert. Gonna play with an actual EOD tech tonight

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
So what you're saying is that since my roommate doesn't like how stressed out he gets while playing I should get him a few drinks first?

This can't possibly go wrong.

Shoefish
Sep 29, 2005
captain haggis mcnipplesworthy
This game is indeed awesome, though the Chapter 7 bombs are kinda crap and annoying. All done though with 2 friends irl.

Yoshimo
Oct 5, 2003

Fleet of foot, and all that!
Is there any truth to the claim that you'll need multiple "experts" for the later bombs?

edit - patch notes

quote:

Version 1.0.2 Release Notes
Change Results screens to show milliseconds when less than a minute remains.
Moved alarm clock to a more visible position on the desk in non-VR mode.
Tweaked a couple of missions to activate Needy modules immediately as intended.
Added Accessibility Settings to allow vetos against up to three solvable module types, in Freeplay only. This allows players to remove modules that prevent them from playing due to color-blindness or translation issues.
Added Anti-Aliasing option to Graphics menu.
Fixed issue where the Alarm Clock would continue beeping forever. And ever. And ever.
Fixed issue where "Experience is the Best Teacher" achievement would not unlock properly.
Fixed issue where bomb tilt controls would become inverted.
Fixed "double press" controller issues, particularly with Xbox One controllers.
Fixed issue where an invalid resolution could be set.

vv cool!

Yoshimo fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Nov 22, 2015

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

This game sounds neat and it's one of the only non-megathread threads in Games right now, so I'm going to sticky it for a bit. Everyone check out this neat game!

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Wow, thank you. Yeah, this game is fantastic. Unfortunately I realized there's not much to talk about with this game since it's mostly something you just have to experience, so let's put this sticky to good use.

:havlat: Post in here if you wanna find some goons to play with! (I know I sure do) This is a game that requires having people around, and Skype works perfectly fine since you don't even need to share a screen. Reminder, you don't even need a game to be an expert! And having the game doesn't say how likely you are at getting everyone killed!

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Krysmphoenix posted:

so let's put this sticky to good use.
Maybe share some good and funny stories you have experienced playing the game?

Orv
May 4, 2011
They're all the same story really:
This is basically all screaming.

"We have thirty seconds guys!"

"Uh, gently caress, do [Simon Says/Blind Man's Maze/Cut wires] first!"

"Okay it [blinked two greens and one yellow/starts at A6-C5/has two red wires, three black and one white], what do I do?!"

"Alright first d-"

"Guys we're dead."

Everyone calms down and the cycle repeats until you and your friends stop being retarded and instead feel like your Hollywood cop of choice.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
I can't speak much for myself, my stories kind of suck, but as part of Danaru's LPs of the Metal Gear Solid series, they tackled this game a little bit, and the expert completely missed the section of the manual that told them how to use the Button. :doh:

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Krysmphoenix posted:

Wow, thank you. Yeah, this game is fantastic. Unfortunately I realized there's not much to talk about with this game since it's mostly something you just have to experience, so let's put this sticky to good use.

I do not have the game but I would be happy to play it. I do have a headset and mic, so I can get in Skype games and stuff. If people are organizing sessions of this I'm up for joining them.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

FactsAreUseless posted:

Maybe share some good and funny stories you have experienced playing the game?

Krysm is one of my housemates; and they've roped me into playing a couple of times now. Lemme tell you, it's the most fun I've ever had been stressed out of my mind. We were half-screaming back and forth at each other, trying to make sense of the bomb.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

jivjov posted:

Krysm is one of my housemates; and they've roped me into playing a couple of times now. Lemme tell you, it's the most fun I've ever had been stressed out of my mind. We were half-screaming back and forth at each other, trying to make sense of the bomb.

And it's because it stresses you out of your mind that you never play with me. :smith:

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Krysmphoenix posted:

And it's because it stresses you out of your mind that you never play with me. :smith:

You haven't asked me to play in weeks.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Bacter and mzbundifund have an excellent LP of this game going on right now.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3746880&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Coxswain Balls
Jun 4, 2001

I've been training classes of ISP tech support reps recently, and when I saw a video of this game I knew it'd be perfect for learning how to ask proper probing questions and be very detailed with the instructions you give people, while still talking to their level of competence and understanding. I'll put one person with my laptop and the game in one room with a phone handset, and another person on speakerphone with the manual with everyone else watching and everyone loves it. I'm trying to get the company to buy a whole bunch of copies of it so people can pair off and do it simultaneously, but the audience aspect is pretty entertaining too.

It's usually a three or four module bomb with a ten minute limit, but it still gets the point across without making people stress out too much. So much stuff like the button instructions or Who's On First are also pretty applicable to the job as well, which is hilarious ("okay, you need to press the button and..." BOOM "...hold it down and not release it.").

Ettin
Oct 2, 2010
I just watched a video of this and I grabbed a copy for the games night I'm having on the weekend. This should go down well! :toot:

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

Alereon posted:

The Morse Code modules seem to be loving Bullshit, but I'll probably get the hang of them soon. This game is loving awesome and everyone should buy it.

This game taught me morse code. I remember I was reading the code out to my partner when I realized I was spelling out Steak.

I hope they patch the game with more modules like this one, where defusing it correctly teaches you a pretty neat (if obtuse) skill.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

The fact that you can play half the game for free but the actual interactive part you have to buy is kind of brilliant.

Waterbuck71
Nov 22, 2015

"Meh..."
Seems like an awesome concept. I'll have to check it out.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

Coxswain Balls posted:

I've been training classes of ISP tech support reps recently, and when I saw a video of this game I knew it'd be perfect for learning how to ask proper probing questions and be very detailed with the instructions you give people, while still talking to their level of competence and understanding. I'll put one person with my laptop and the game in one room with a phone handset, and another person on speakerphone with the manual with everyone else watching and everyone loves it. I'm trying to get the company to buy a whole bunch of copies of it so people can pair off and do it simultaneously, but the audience aspect is pretty entertaining too.

It's usually a three or four module bomb with a ten minute limit, but it still gets the point across without making people stress out too much. So much stuff like the button instructions or Who's On First are also pretty applicable to the job as well, which is hilarious ("okay, you need to press the button and..." BOOM "...hold it down and not release it.").

Wow, that's amazing. My mom does online tech support and occasionally has to do classes. I think I might toss this her way.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Coxswain Balls posted:

I do something similar as part of my job (giving people who have no idea what they are doing extremely detailed and precise instructions) and it's driven me up the wall watching streamers play this because of how inefficient and imprecise they are being with communication. Using the game as an educational tool is goddamn genius. If I ever end up training a successor (hopefully because I got promoted...) I'll keep this in mind.

Phantasmal
Jun 6, 2001

Yoshimo posted:

Is there any truth to the claim that you'll need multiple "experts" for the later bombs?

We completed the Extreme chapter with a single expert. There's a lot of variation between bombs though, and I'm pretty sure we're nowhere near the point where we can do 6.4 reliably. We haven't tried the final chapter, but I'm not sure if they're actually harder bombs or just more gimmicky. You can definitely make harder bombs in freeplay though, and some of them would be so extreme that single expert would be impossible for the vast majority of players.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Alereon posted:

Pay attention to the pauses. A short pause indicates a new letter, and a longer pause indicates a new word.

Also, if you get this game from Humble Store instead of Steam, it's DRM-free and you can download it onto your friends' computers.

I'd totally be down to play with goons! Last week my board game group played this nearly exclusively, started saying "Just...one...more..." around 10pm, and very shortly it was almost 1.

shaitan
Mar 8, 2004
g.d.m.f.s.o.b.
Has anyone tried it in VR? I have both an oculus and a steam VR set at work and we have been trying to think of something to play on it to test it out...for research purposes only of course.

Zsinjeh
Jun 11, 2007

:shoboobs:

shaitan posted:

Has anyone tried it in VR? I have both an oculus and a steam VR set at work and we have been trying to think of something to play on it to test it out...for research purposes only of course.
Tried it on DK2, works pretty great. Not sure if this is for everyone or just my machine but it did feel slightly laggy/low persistance at times, but since you're mostly just staring straight ahead and move the bomb around with a controller it's perfect.

Obviously the level of immersion goes through the roof when you're in the room with a bomb and the things like lights going out and the alarm clock are way more effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I have no idea how you can finish this game with a single expert once the Morse Code and Password modules start appearing; we'd often need 3 experts minimum so that someone could decode the messages/passwords while they futzed around with wires.

• Locked thread