Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which feed will you be watching?
:japan:
:britain:
View Results

• Locked thread
Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

yeah, I know said English commentary is courtesy of Kevin Kelly and Matt Striker ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

King of Pro Wrestling on October 12th at 3:00 EDT/8:00 BST from Ryogoku Koukigan in Tokyo (Sumo Hall)

KUSHIDA, Liger, TMIV, Taguchi, and Dorada vs. the Young Lions (Komatsu, Tanaka, White, Finlay, and Robinson)

Tomoaki Honma vs. YOSHI-HASHI

Yuji Nagata, Manabu Nakanishi, and Ten-Cozy vs. Katsuyori Shibata, Hirooki Goto, Kota Ibushi, and Captain New Japan

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Tag Team Championship:reDRagon(c) vs. RPG Vice

IWGP Junior Heavyweight Championship:Kenny Omega (c) vs. Matt Sydal

CHAOS (Shinsuke Nakamura, Kazushi Sakuraba, and YTR) vs. Bullet Club (Karl Anderson, Doc Gallows, and Bad Luck Fale)

NEVER Openweight Championship: Togi Makabe(c) vs. Tomohiro Ishii

Hiroshi Tanahashi vs. Tetsuya Naito with Tana's WK10 title shot on the line

IWGP Heavyweight Championship:Kazuchika Okada vs. AJ Styles

This is the first show on NJPW World to offer English commentary as an option.Dave Meltzer said this is an experiment to see if it drives up subscriptions. I'm skeptical they'll be able to accomplish this since this was just announced a week ago and is receiving no real marketing that would reach people who don't already subscribe. If you're one of the people who have held off on trying the service because you struggle with watching wrestling in a foreign language, this is still your chance to actually put your money where your mouth is and try to show them that it pays to offer it as an option.

Ugh, Striker and Kelly?

Hey it's not like you have to listen to them. if you prefer the regular Japanese commentary willl also be available. I'm not precisely sure how this is going to work myself since it's new territory for them. Usually they have a yellow banner at the top of the site during live events directing people to the stream. Presumably they'll have two links, one in Japanese and one in English. I'll try to post both in the thread when it starts.

Why should I care about this card anyway?

This is the biggest show the company has on its calendar until Wrestle Kingdom 10. Yes the main event for that show seems fairly obvious but the top two big matches on this show should still be great. The junior title matches also look well worth watching as well. The tag championship matches are usually really fun when there's only two teams involved and this will be Matt Sydal's singles debut for the company. Honma and YOSHI-HASHI face off in a rare singles match both men deserve and the winner could provide some MUCH needed new blood in the NEVER title scene.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

So I've been out of the loop on pretty much all pro wrestling since the G1. Did they announce that the English commentary will be available for steaming later? And I think I also heard that there is some content for English speakers on NJPWorld?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

BigRed0427 posted:

So I've been out of the loop on pretty much all pro wrestling since the G1. Did they announce that the English commentary will be available for steaming later? And I think I also heard that there is some content for English speakers on NJPWorld?

I'm sure both feeds will be archived for normal replay, the Enlglish feed is just listed as another normal event just like the Japanese one. Striker and Kelly provided commentary during the press conference yesterday at http://njpwworld.com/p/s_series_00351_1_1 . Be sure to check out @e_key_oide and @reasonjp if you want some translations of what the Japanese wrestlers said.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Every time Ishii and Makabe have had a match this year it's been worse and worse. I legitimately enjoyed their WK match, and now I hope to see that trend continue into something memorably bad instead of boring and bad.

Rest of main matches should be great though. Don't have work tomorrow and it starts at midnight here so I'm going to try and watch it live. Can't wait to see a neon genesis pull out a LARIATO and some other inane poo poo matt stryker is going to say.

Big Coffin Hunter fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Oct 11, 2015

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i will be watching in english because i am using this to introduce friends to the product and will do whatever makes the transition easiest

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I voted japan in the poll bc i think i would rather listen to pikachu reacting to njpw than kelly & striker together.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

HulkaMatt posted:

I voted japan in the poll bc i think i would rather listen to pikachu reacting to njpw than kelly & striker together.

same

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
I prefer English babel because I can filter that out. I can't filter out non-English babel.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Ehh, I'm willing to give the two of them a chance first. I will say from just watching the first ten minuets of that press conference that they need someone on the team that speaks Japanese to actually translate, rather than just try to translate based on body language.

Germ Incubator
Nov 4, 2009

*Cowboy Shit*
Pumped for thiiis. I'll be watching in JPN but I'll prob check out Striker and Kelly after to see how it was.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Definitely going with the Japanese.... they get so excited and if I can't understand them I can't know if the commentary is terrible. :shobon:

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

Jerusalem posted:

Definitely going with the Japanese.... they get so excited and if I can't understand them I can't know if the commentary is terrible. :shobon:

To me, anyone is a step up from Cole and JBL.

Do they still suck or have they magically gotten better at commentary?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
I'm with Meltzer on how weird it is that NJPW is doing this, but also half-assing it. If they really wanted to drive up subs, they'd get JR and make a big to-do. Or if they planned this as a long-term thing and allow for the TV to be an advertising platform, they could get Mauro and Josh (it can't cost that much to sit them in a room and ask them to yell about Okada). But nope, Kevin Kelly. :geno:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
This starts at midnight West Coast time and I keep forgetting to unsubscribe from NJPW World because I forgot my password and don't want to figure out how to navigate the recovery process, so I might watch it just because. If I go through the effort now then I'm more likely to cancel after the show and stop paying 8 bucks a month for something I'm not using.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Grozz Nuy posted:

This starts at midnight West Coast time and I keep forgetting to unsubscribe from NJPW World because I forgot my password and don't want to figure out how to navigate the recovery process, so I might watch it just because. If I go through the effort now then I'm more likely to cancel after the show and stop paying 8 bucks a month for something I'm not using.

There's no point in canceling now anyway. You've already paid for October and you'll just automatically lose access. Watch and enjoy the show.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Does NJPW World still do that bullshit where they start the subscription period at the beginning of the month instead of the day you sign up? They hosed me over pretty hardcore when they first launched but I would like to watch this show.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Call Me Charlie posted:

Does NJPW World still do that bullshit where they start the subscription period at the beginning of the month instead of the day you sign up? They hosed me over pretty hardcore when they first launched but I would like to watch this show.

I've been subscribed since Day 1 (december 1st 2014) and logically get billed at the beginning of the month so I'm not sure. I "think" based on what people were saying before that you basically have to pay for each month you're signed up regardless of how many days of that month you were a member. Someone who joined mid month for the G1 would probably know for sure though. I genuinely think this show alone should be worth $8.30.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Yes, they do the beginning of each month. I signed up for WK on January 4th and get billed on the 1st.

MagicCube
May 25, 2004

This Canadian Thanksgiving I'm thankful for Japanese wrestling happening on a holiday.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Yes, they do the beginning of each month. I signed up for WK on January 4th and get billed on the 1st.

Bummer. They got me good the first time when I signed up at the end of December and got billed again for January like four days later.

Still $8.30 for a live show and 20 days of VOD access is a pretty good deal.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

Thauros posted:

I genuinely think this show alone should be worth $8.30.

You would always say this though.

I sorted out my account stuff so I guess I'm watching this tonight. But I really only care about the junior title matches tbh, I'm sure the main event will be great but it's a rematch from not that long ago so it's hard to get excited about it.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Japanese Commentator: And to my left, I have two white guys!
Japanese Crowd: Oooooooooooh!

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_enlive_27_2 - English feed
http://njpwworld.com/lp/l_live_26_2- Japanese feed

shows' on!

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

I'm so pumped to see how Sydal does here.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

whos ready for double champion karl anderson!!

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
watching with english commentary since i hate myself

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

This song is hilarious, holy poo poo.

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Kushida being relegated to the meaningless opening tag is so sad

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'm giving Striker and Kelly a try for the undercard because I want to see how they do.

HulkaMatt posted:

This song is hilarious, holy poo poo.

Yeah, it sounds like a lost SNES platformer game. Shame we can't get the real Liger theme :smith:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.

SaberToothedPie posted:

watching with english commentary since i hate myself

it defaulted to English for me, which I was surprised by. I'm keeping it that way for now but we'll see if Striker aggravates me enough to switch.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Shoutout to the dude i wish was here, steve corino.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I can't figure out if Juice Robinson is better or worse than CJ Parker as a name.

SaberToothedPie
Dec 24, 2012

The #RXT REVOLUTION has two words for ya..
SCOOP IT!

:frolf:

he knows...
this match is fun

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Call Me Charlie posted:

I can't figure out if Juice Robinson is better or worse than CJ Parker as a name.

it really depends on your opinion on the harlem globetrotters

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Striker with a fighting game life bar analogy, first time I've grit my teeth

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
Cool they've finally decided to give Dorada something after jobbing him out for months. Next Jr. challenger?

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
MAYBE HE'S NAITO'S PAREJA!?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Thauros posted:

I'm giving Striker and Kelly a try for the undercard because I want to see how they do.

Yeah, in the end I figured I rarely pay attention to the multi-man tags anyway so I might as well throw on the English commentary. Do they seem a little stop-start at the moment?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

My english stream was pretty stop start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
Is the video feed really choppy for anyone else? The quality is fine when it's running but it's stopping to buffer a lot for me.

• Locked thread