Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
Comic book time control is definitely within the realm of belief or 1970's new agers so it's alright if Newtypes can do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Continuing my Gundam manga readings, oh lawd Walpurgis has a Haman clone.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Like, an actual one or a spiritual one

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
I'll report back later. The translation isn't good enough to be reading this late at night.

This manga is dramatic as heck though.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

Like, an actual one or a spiritual one

Actual, I think, considering that the protagonist is a Paptimus clone.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN
I could fix the clone too

SnakesRevenge
Dec 29, 2008

Remember the basics of CQC, Snake!
How long until Gundam is just the Brian Herbert Dune books? And we have an evil Amuro clone raised by clones of the Zabis.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

SnakesRevenge posted:

How long until Gundam is just the Brian Herbert Dune books? And we have an evil Amuro clone raised by clones of the Zabis.

AI Amuro was already a thing in one of the Crossbones. Zabi Clones is ZZ

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SnakesRevenge posted:

That's Frozen Teardrop for Wing.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

chiasaur11 posted:

Actual, I think, considering that the protagonist is a Paptimus clone.

iirc the premise of that manga was the protagonist was a high level gamer. So that spoiled development makes an odd kind of sense.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.

Arc Hammer posted:

That's Frozen Teardrop for Wing.

The clone there just proves that a character was right about his dad being lovely but they're not evil IIRC.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

https://twitter.com/DTZ1200WG/status/1620405204708659200?s=20&t=UWFG4Y90bbJF2TFg5ETMHg

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
About half way through Walpurgis there's what seems to be an early version of the Angel Halo called "Psycho Flare" hidden in an asteroid. There's also a transforming upgraded Dendrobium. There's also a brother/sister pair on either sides of the conflict. Everyone is obsessed with Sirocco, who's been elevated to a messiah figure in this story. I haven't figured out yet if Haman is a clone or she just didn't get killed at the end of ZZ yet. It's extremely derivative of Unicorn, there's a super advanced Gundam with super secret data that they need to have the pilot unlock and move on to the next Proper Noun.

ManSedan fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Jan 31, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So there's a big Twitter thread going around talking about all the hosed up poo poo that happens in the Animorphs books, and this blog post the author made when the last book came out about people not liking the ending really makes me think she's the American Tomino lol

https://twitter.com/songlin221/status/1620425985639485444?s=20&t=7G2uaPlAIeHPxhm9veEQqA

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Waffleman_ posted:

So there's a big Twitter thread going around talking about all the hosed up poo poo that happens in the Animorphs books, and this blog post the author made when the last book came out about people not liking the ending really makes me think she's the American Tomino lol

https://twitter.com/songlin221/status/1620425985639485444?s=20&t=7G2uaPlAIeHPxhm9veEQqA

Probably worth noting that Applegate only wrote, like, half the books. Though the last one certainly was one of them.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4
Final Walpurgis the big "secret" of the whole thing is psycommu nano machines. There's definite a ton of Newtype space magic at the end here, but no time traveling. Regarding the Haman Clone... surprise its her sister, Serana Karn! She had her memory replaced with some science mumbo jumbo. Oh and when he (his double clone body) dies, Scirocco sees Sarah Zabirov and smiles as he dies. There's a lot of well draw splash pages of MS' purging their outer armor to reveal their true form, as well as shots of MS squaring off against each other with far too many sub arms and beam sabers and it looks cool. It ends with a few cliffhangers.
So.... 6/10? It was over dramatic most of time time, but built off existing mysteries from Zeta and ZZ, though in the end the main Gundam "Over.On" turned out just as OP as most other manga side story MS. Pretty serviceable art.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMzjlRA222E

Dammit NYAV Post, I love you guys but if you're gonna do the Kira Cry do it right and kick your actor in the ballsack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LOTHCNqje8

Or go with the original "murder your actor in the booth and record his death throes."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6K-h9W9L2aw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo5075Ok-Tw

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Feb 1, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

what magic words do i need to type into google to get the hilarious gn-x in a circle perfectly still while the background spins behind them gif

i'm trying to explain to someone what bad animation looks like

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It was sublime. A new epoch in Gundam history

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/MichaelToole/status/1308156257057091585?s=20&t=jtL7uxOsUda5WhLLSVmpgw

Bro I thought Narrative was okay why are you owning yourself this hard

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Yeah, it's actually a perfect explanation for what Fukui is for Gundam, and from the man himself.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Sometimes being a fan of unicorn is a little embarrassing

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl
Is Narrative even really his fault? I thought he wrote the book version, and the main problem with the movie is... expanding the book into a movie.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Unicorn is his fault tho

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Stairmaster posted:

Unicorn is his fault tho

I mean, on one hand yes, on the other hand he's been pretty open that all the stuff that happened in the story of Unicorn was basically given to him as a mandate from above. From the sound of it Bandai/Sunrise had basically sketched out everything that was going to happen in the story he was writing. Do we know if Abrams was in the same situation with regards to mandates from Disney?

At the same time, yikes that is a comparison that you probably don't want to make even if it is true because it makes nobody look good.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I dont know if you can fault Sunrise for Fukui writing a wild screed about the Americans Federation and their exploitation of the middle east. Episode 4 of Unicorn thankfully changed that plot point to a more thematically appropriate one about children inheriting the conflicts of their parents.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

I mean, on one hand yes, on the other hand he's been pretty open that all the stuff that happened in the story of Unicorn was basically given to him as a mandate from above. From the sound of it Bandai/Sunrise had basically sketched out everything that was going to happen in the story he was writing. Do we know if Abrams was in the same situation with regards to mandates from Disney?

At the same time, yikes that is a comparison that you probably don't want to make even if it is true because it makes nobody look good.

He's also been pretty open that a lot of the changes from the novels in the animation were either decided by Furuhashi, or the production in general and not really what he wanted. He wanted the finale to be purely a shared vision between Banagher and Frontal for instance, while Furuhashi thought it should be literal because of the power of psycoframe to move stars (it's worth noting here that the word for "star" in Japanese can encompass other celestial bodies; like asteroids) according to interview for instance.

Furuhashi Kazuhiro posted:

Fukui wanted the time travel sequence to be just a vision, but Furuhashi felt that since the psychoframe can move entire stars it wouldn't be strange at all if they literally travelled through time. In the end they just settled on them flashing through the memories of the universe itself.

The compromise they arrived at is possibly even more stupid, but Fukui didn't want the ending to be quite as overwhelming in the Newtype power department as he's often credited for doing. That aside, I think the idea of comparing himself to JJ Abrams is only really taken as intrinsically toxic in hardcore nerd circles. Or at least, that it was up to the release of The Rise of Skywalker. I'm pretty sure a lot of folks love JJ Abrams given the money his movies make and the comparison makes it easy for casual fans or non-fans to get a quick grasp on the situation.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

I dont know if you can fault Sunrise for Fukui writing a wild screed about the Americans Federation and their exploitation of the middle east. Episode 4 of Unicorn thankfully changed that plot point to a more thematically appropriate one about children inheriting the conflicts of their parents.

Yeah, no, that is totally fair. I was thinking it as a write up my post and I didn't put it down because I'm a dummy.

As for Abrams, putting Star Wars entirely aside he is output on the whole has been kind of a mixed bag. Which actually kind of reflects Unicorn, so maybe it was a better comparison than I thought it was.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

what magic words do i need to type into google to get the hilarious gn-x in a circle perfectly still while the background spins behind them gif

i'm trying to explain to someone what bad animation looks like

When you consider the situation, vis a vis the encounter where it first happens one can start to pieve together just what a masterstroke it was. In the complete artistic sense, the GN-X circle is symbolic of the stasis that is about to be imposed upon the world by the unleashment of the False Drives.

Consider the Title of the show Gundam 00, then consider the form of the Circle that the GN-X's form, they are also a circle, but only a single one, they lack the second perspective that is necessary to achieve the transition into eternity that is represented by the second 0, turning it from an endless circle into a infinite possibility.

Now consider that the GN-X's themselves are false gundams, tools of the same oppressive states of the past, using a corrupted version of the eternity seeking devices that are unfortunately earth developed. The GN-X can only ever manage to maintain the stasis quo of the Innovades, it cannot succeed in transitioning into the next stage of existence.

Not since Bernie embraced his friendship with a talking oven mitt has gundam so distilled the entirety of a series into a single moment, the GN-X circle will come to be talked about in the same breath as the Stargate in Space Odyssey or Moses handing down the Ten Commandments when the time comes.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
This is also one of the few places that dislike Unicorn. General public opinion and especially Japan love Unicorn, so that stigma about JJ doesn't mean that much.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

When you consider the situation, vis a vis the encounter where it first happens one can start to pieve together just what a masterstroke it was. In the complete artistic sense, the GN-X circle is symbolic of the stasis that is about to be imposed upon the world by the unleashment of the False Drives.

Consider the Title of the show Gundam 00, then consider the form of the Circle that the GN-X's form, they are also a circle, but only a single one, they lack the second perspective that is necessary to achieve the transition into eternity that is represented by the second 0, turning it from an endless circle into a infinite possibility.

Now consider that the GN-X's themselves are false gundams, tools of the same oppressive states of the past, using a corrupted version of the eternity seeking devices that are unfortunately earth developed. The GN-X can only ever manage to maintain the stasis quo of the Innovades, it cannot succeed in transitioning into the next stage of existence.

Not since Bernie embraced his friendship with a talking oven mitt has gundam so distilled the entirety of a series into a single moment, the GN-X circle will come to be talked about in the same breath as the Stargate in Space Odyssey or Moses handing down the Ten Commandments when the time comes.

this is a fun read, thank you

does anyone at least have the gif on hand tho i really want it

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Tae posted:

This is also one of the few places that dislike Unicorn. General public opinion and especially Japan love Unicorn, so that stigma about JJ doesn't mean that much.

General public opinion rarely extends beyond "wow cool robot" and Unicorn has a huge case of the memberberries that people love to eat.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Tae posted:

This thread doesn't even really actively hate Unicorn, to be honest. Hell, I poo poo on Fukui and Unicorn a fair bit and even I'll say that Unicorn is broadly pretty good except for the final episode. It's definitely not in the 0083 "this entire story and all the characters as written suck rear end" category.

Now, Narrative, most people here hate the poo poo out of that.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

this is a fun read, thank you

does anyone at least have the gif on hand tho i really want it

https://64.media.tumblr.com/138fc8736db1d16e186fb620460637e0/tumblr_o0d1630wip1rjxyrgo2_500.gifv

https://64.media.tumblr.com/b69f912fd4f0b791af6a312e1d0696b0/tumblr_o0d1630wip1rjxyrgo1_400.gifv

I have no idea how to link Tumblr posts

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
That's because Narrative actually has some interesting ideas under the hood but it decides to follow an entirely different character.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
I bitched about the OVA prices earlier but I really like Unicorn. All of the classic Tomino shows except original Gundam and Turn-A poo poo the bed hard in the last arc, so it's kind of a UC tradition.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

I know the thread has been talking about this as some demonstration of lazy/lovely animation, but I actually kind of like the shot; it plays around with background in an interesting way visually and that stands out more to me than the fact the animators moved the background instead of the suits.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Randallteal posted:

I bitched about the OVA prices earlier but I really like Unicorn. All of the classic Tomino shows except original Gundam and Turn-A poo poo the bed hard in the last arc, so it's kind of a UC tradition.

You think Zeta had final Arc problems? I loved when things really started hitting the fan during the finale.

tsob posted:

I know the thread has been talking about this as some demonstration of lazy/lovely animation, but I actually kind of like the shot; it plays around with background in an interesting way visually and that stands out more to me than the fact the animators moved the background instead of the suits.

Theoretically it probably makes sense for a suit with a Drive to be able to move that way, but it feels really unnatural. Like Superman still has to hold out his arms and have a cape that sways otherwise his flight looks bizarre.

Also tactically it makes no sense to use that formation.
I guess it's nice for them to be playing with the camera, but when you do it poorly it looks really jarring.

Gaius Marius fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 1, 2023

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The ending of Zeta is the best part, really

E: Although it does get to be a bit of a clusterfuck at points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

Gaius Marius posted:

You think Zeta had final Arc problems? I loved when things really started hitting the fan during the finale.

Yeah I can't stand the Scirocco / Reccoa super seducer crap and really don't like where it chooses to leave off. There are still some good parts in there but the Earth parts are probably my favorite.