Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

tsob posted:

I know the thread has been talking about this as some demonstration of lazy/lovely animation, but I actually kind of like the shot; it plays around with background in an interesting way visually and that stands out more to me than the fact the animators moved the background instead of the suits.

it looks like someone dragging clip art around in microsoft powerpoint in 4th grade

it's really funny

thank you very much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

TheKingofSprings posted:

The ending of Zeta is the best part, really

E: Although it does get to be a bit of a clusterfuck at points

Love a good political cluster gently caress, see Reco or Exodus of the Long Sun. Wherein you get a civil war where all the leaders are dead or MIA, an agrarian revolution, gods reawkening, an apocalypse, some dude LARPing as Moses, an invading army, and an apocalypse all happening at the same time. All viewed through the lenses of 12 or so characters all of whom are in different locations, have different motivations, and are working off old information.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022
The very end of Zeta is good, but a lot of the leadup to that is super painful. Mostly the Rosamia and Reccoa stuff

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18NYHjSGuhw

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time
Jerid is my favorite loser in Gundam. I could watch him eat poo poo forever. I love that he keeps getting promoted and brought further into the Titans inner circle even though he fucks everything up, and that he has his own doomed romance to stew over that no one else cares about.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I love Mouar Pharaoh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Zeta Gundam is television by sickos for sickos

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Randallteal posted:

Jerid is my favorite loser in Gundam. I could watch him eat poo poo forever. I love that he keeps getting promoted and brought further into the Titans inner circle even though he fucks everything up, and that he has his own doomed romance to stew over that no one else cares about.

Two doomed romances, if you count him kinda crushing on Lila.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gaius Marius posted:

I love Mouar Pharaoh

In Office Lady Haman, everyone makes fun of her for having to take care of her loser boyfriend Jerid. It's a good time.

Also, it has a date between Kamille and Haman.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

drat they even got the audio quality right. That's dedication.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

lol

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Tae posted:

This is also one of the few places that dislike Unicorn. General public opinion and especially Japan love Unicorn, so that stigma about JJ doesn't mean that much.

There's also that Fukui said that before Rise of Skywalker existed. He was comparing himself to a guy who undeniably has a pretty top notch record for picking up properties long languishing or left in disrepair and resurrecting them to great success, which isn't a wrong comparison.

And this might be one of the most Narrative negative places on the internet, but it ain't ROS.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

ASK ME ABOUT MY
UNITED STATES MARINES
FUNKO POPS COLLECTION

Arc Hammer posted:

General public opinion rarely extends beyond "wow cool robot" and Unicorn has a huge case of the memberberries that people love to eat.

No, Unicorn is good

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gripweed posted:

No, Unicorn is good

Unicorn is decent but I don't think the popular discourse of the show was looking at the reveal of the Federstion Charter and going "wait that's really dumb"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

If we're talking which Gundams are vocally hated by online Western Gundam fans, seems like SEED is in the lead by leaps and bounds. Then Wing.

Wing less so than in the past but SEED still gets it pretty frequently.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Feb 2, 2023

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I want more shows with wing's style of writing

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

Arc Hammer posted:

Unicorn is decent but I don't think the popular discourse of the show was looking at the reveal of the Federstion Charter and going "wait that's really dumb"

Huh, I honestly don't know anyone who didn't say "wait that's really dumb" when the Charter was revealed. Obviously this is anecdotal and a sample size of like 6, but I was in a group that was watching the TV Recut of Unicorn when it aired on Toonami and they were universally dumbfounded by the reveal of what was in the box.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

ninjewtsu posted:

Gundam is already bat poo poo so leaning into that can only be good.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
I think Unicorn is good up to a certain point, with some really dumb stuff that is still less dumb than the book version- but then after that point it gets not good, and Narrative is worse.

But its still better than Yamato 2202.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Fivemarks posted:

I think Unicorn is good up to a certain point, with some really dumb stuff that is still less dumb than the book version- but then after that point it gets not good, and Narrative is worse.

God, 2202 still makes me angry

Anshu
Jan 9, 2019

Argas posted:

Oh, guess I dodged a bullet by never getting around to watching it

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Omnicrom posted:

Huh, I honestly don't know anyone who didn't say "wait that's really dumb" when the Charter was revealed. Obviously this is anecdotal and a sample size of like 6, but I was in a group that was watching the TV Recut of Unicorn when it aired on Toonami and they were universally dumbfounded by the reveal of what was in the box.

I'll stick my hand up and say "I didn't". I had no particular reaction to the revelation, and still don't find it all that noteworthy as a plot point personally. I agree it's not remotely realistic, but then a lot of the politics and narrative points in anime generally isn't, so it never jumped out to me as particularly egregious. It worked within the story the show was setting up, and that's about the only thing I'd care about personally. It wasn't a memorable plot point, but it wasn't horrific either in my estimation. I don't even think it's all that unreasonable in terms of Gundam's politics, which are usually either really vague or defined more by personal greivance than any actual depth. What specifics there are usually aren't all that solid though.

If we take a Gihren for instance: he started a war for "independence" in UC0079 when Side 3 had essentially been independent since UC0060ish when Zeon Zum Deikun led a rebellion that kicked the Federation out, and we later find out Gihren's real motive was based on Malthusian resource scarcity bullshit despite that not even really being a valid concern by the time the show was made in 1979. And definitely not a real source of grievance for any nation based entirely in loving space, where resources should be so plentiful they basically become a non-issue; especially minerals. It's almost more of a concern that you'd flood the market and make materials worthless than that they'd be resource starved.

The revelation that Side 3 had actually been independent, or at least autonomous and with so little oversight that it might as well be official independence, for 20 or so years by the time of the original show heavily undercuts any legitimacy that the politics of the original show had and Gihren's actual real motive just seems silly by comparison. A supervillain plan from a Saturday morning cartoon. Which isn't exactly shocking really, because as much as Tomino was distancing Mobile Suit Gundam from older super robot tropes, he still had a lot of them in the story and the original planned finale is very super roboty with Amuro being a big hero by single handedly destroying the colony laser and then personally ending the war by killing Gihren. That said, I do still like the idea of the RX-78-2 being destroyed by a loving Gigan.

Char in Char's Counterattack is the same though, really. The character has a good bit of depth in motive, and his plan has a good few moving parts throughout the film, but at the end of the day his plan is quite Saturday morning cartoon villain: "Imma throw an asteroid at Earth to work out my frustrations". No-one around him has any meaningful power or feelings about this, and even giving the character a generous read and presuming best intentions by taking his words to Nanai at face value, his politics are quite silly i.e. he wants to force mankind to evolve by pushing everyone into space. A thing the franchise has routinely shown is not actually a source of said evolution in the first place, which even Char should know, since Amuro and Lalah were born on and spent much of their lives on Earth. As did Quess.

I honestly think I'd have just plain forgotten that the box was a political charter with somewhat naive idealism in it if not for all the grousing I see about it online.

Argas posted:

The show or the movie? I gave up on Yamato about half way through the first remake show, so I can't say as I know about any particular problems with either, but looking at the Japanese Wikipedia for 2202 it seems like Fukui was only partly to blame in either case since there's so many other hands involved in the writing. The other writer on the movie doesn't seem to have any other anime credits either, which seems especially odd.

tsob fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Feb 2, 2023

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Fivemarks posted:

I'll bite. What did the 2022 Yamato do wrong compared to the original?

e: Oh 2202 are the original movie sequels. That makes more sense. I thought you were talking about the 2199 TV series. Numbers are hard.

GimmickMan fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Feb 2, 2023

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015

GimmickMan posted:

I'll bite. What did the 2022 Yamato do wrong compared to the original?

e: Oh 2202 are the original movie sequels. That makes more sense. I thought you were talking about the 2199 TV series. Numbers are hard.

Nah 2199 is great. It's really good. It goes "Wait, Dessler is just hitler, gently caress that, All my Homies hate Dessler". It also goes "Japanese ultranationalism and fascism is bad"

So they gave 2202 to Fukui, who immediately went "Actually Dessler is Rad and so is Japanese Ultranationalism even when it attempts to sell out all of humanity and caused all the problems."

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
I loved 2199 and barely made it through the first arc of 2202 because in addition to frankly being pretty boring, it went out of it's way to write out every new character 2199 had created which left a pretty sour taste in my mouth immediately

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Fivemarks posted:

So they gave 2202 to Fukui, who immediately went "Actually Dessler is Rad and so is Japanese Ultranationalism even when it attempts to sell out all of humanity and caused all the problems."

Is this actually what happens

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

ninjewtsu posted:

Is this actually what happens

Yamato 2205 is even worse for it, the whole Dessler redemption thing is nuts. 'Yeah, he may have committed space genocide, but if you think about it he was only doing it to protect the racially pure gamillans, so he's not the bad kind of space nazi'.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Lmao ok

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a whole lot less excuses made for him in OG Yamato but he still gets his redemption arc there.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Part of the issue with Dessler is that despite the many changes they do make, the arc of the remakes are still following the original series/movies. I won't fault it too much for that. The problem is that 2199, 2202, and 2205 don't sell any of it at all. 2199 wasn't sure it was going to lead to more projects afterwards so I can give it a liiiiiiittle leeway for that. 2202 just completely bungled so many things even before we get to Dessler, and completely failed to redeem him. His excuse is just that he knew Gamilas' days were numbered and fell into despair and doing poo poo for giggles. This somehow earns him forgiveness, even forgiveness from the people on Gamilas when he dropped a portion of the future capital space habitat on it, even forgiveness from the people who pulled a coup d'etat on him and formed a new government. 2205 just kind of has the problem of having to follow up on poo poo.

2202 has a mess of things. While I do... overall like what they did with the series, there's so many issues with the details of the things they did, what they spent the budget on, etc. etc. 2199 was heavy on the mechanical detail part of the mecha genre and god was it beautiful. 2202 and on completely dumped that and suffers for it. The new revised backstory for the White Comet Empire is completely at odds with what was previously depicted in 2199 and the 2199 movie, the latter of which spent quite a bit of time showing you what they were like and even depicted a central character of the Empire. You can sort of reason your way into a solution but as is the disconnect is huge and it loving sucks.

Also the production is loving nuts. IIRC 2202 was dumped on new people who had no familiarity with poo poo, leading to incredibly clumsy fleet combat. Any time large fleet formations are depicted they are incredibly stupid. Now and then a small fleet formation may actually behave intelligently. They spent a big chunk of money on a goddamn dumb millions of ships-large formation for an extra-solar planet buster cannon maneuver that's just loving stupid on all sorts of levels.

Spectral Elvis
Jul 23, 2007

In retrospect, considering all this, I think I'm a lot more onboard with the changes they made for the 2010 live action Yamato movie (likely much of this was due to budget, but still). The basic story is the same, but Gamilans are now a crystaline hive mind species, and Dessler is the manifestation of the hivemind. We only really see Dessler towards the end as Yamato is returning home having successfully obtained the cosmo reverse engine and, well, effectively nuked Gamilas. No longer capable of invading, Dessler sets about permanently loving up the earth out of spite. Definitely an aggressively 'ok' movie that fails to live up to the first 5 minutes.

Lemon-Lime posted:

There's a whole lot less excuses made for him in OG Yamato but he still gets his redemption arc there.

It's been a long time since I watched the original series, but one thing that always stood out to me was Analyzer sexually harassing the female crew members. Every yamato full of problems.

Fivemarks
Feb 21, 2015
Besides all the fascism, I was soured on 2202 when the first thing you see is a bad "Ships moving ins static formation and not maneuvering at all except for the protagonists" style battle scene. 2202 is a Star Trek Discovery Season 2 final battle rear end show.

NowonSA
Jul 19, 2013

I am the sexiest poster in the world!

ninjewtsu posted:

Wing was my intro to Gundam, as I imagine it was for many people that grew up during the OG Toonami days, so I have a big soft spot/blind spot for it. I liked Seed and Seed Destiny just fine, and in particular I want all my Gundams to do Seed-style mass lockons and beam, missile, or even better both beam and missile spams.

I feel like you can't really go wrong with a squad of four or five unique Gundams with their own cool looks/abilities and interesting pilots for each Gundam, all working together towards some kind of central goal (ideally fighting against a corrupt or evil government). Mercury certainly has me appreciating the "one really cool Gundam and one main pilot character" approach as well though.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Wing and 00 are probably the best ones to base a tabletop campaign around

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

Wing and 00 are probably the best ones to base a tabletop campaign around

Build shows excepted.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Heh, doing a Build campaign with real custom gunpla would be fun though

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

or a minis wargame with sd gunpla

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly it probably would be best to just steal Battle Operation 2's core premise where you're just a bunch of mercenaries running around doing mercenary things in a vague "post CCA & Unicorn but pre Hathaway" UC setting

At least if you're using an already existing Gundam setting, what would really work best is either something more or less original(got a good example of that I'll have to dig up) or just set the game in some previously unexplored segment of the Black History(which gives you the excuse to use a bunch of preexisting mechanical designs without having to worry too hard about having to match up with an existing setting since you'll just be digging them out of holes in the ground)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I've had story ideas floating around my head about a story taking place at the end of 0099 and dealing with Zeon's imminent reintegration into the Federation and I suppose I'll have to somehow do that before they manage to make Unicorn 2 about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Mercenaries using Anaheim suits would be cool.