Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If I recall, Anaheim is staffed mostly by women because that was the case with actual software engineering in Japan at the time, which was a female-dominated field until the mid 90s when suddenly people realized it was profitable

This is just the computer science field in general. Before computers women mathematicians did all the hand calculations for space flight. Once they realized it was profitable/a position of power suddenly men flooded in and took it over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

That's a lot of industries in general. It's why education administration is overwhelmingly male even though teachers are mostly female.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Really makes you wonder how we haven't had a true main female protagonist in a gundam entry besides Mackenzie in 0080, and even then she isn't really the primary story perspective protagonist.

When do we get the female Gundam pilot who the show centers around?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

École du ciel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And again I'll ask, is that any good beyond the Canada gimmick? I was a sucker for watching Edmonton get trashed in IBO and seeing Quebec would be neat if there was a good story behind it.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Really makes you wonder how we haven't had a true main female protagonist in a gundam entry besides Mackenzie in 0080, and even then she isn't really the primary story perspective protagonist.

When do we get the female Gundam pilot who the show centers around?

The question is if you want a female main protagonist, or a female Gundam pilot. There's a few cases of each, but they don't tend to overlap.

For lead but not Gundam pilot, there's Arlette Armaju from Twilight AXIS. It's a confusing mess, but she is the lead character, which is nice.

For Gundam pilot but not lead, there's Chris, as mentioned.

The closest I can think of for both is Selene in Stargazer, who plays the lead for about half the episodes and who pilots the Stargazer Gundam in the final episode. I'd say that one's worth a look, at least. Not as good as War in the Pocket, and on the short side, but Stargazer has a lot to its credit.

Arcsquad12 posted:

And again I'll ask, is that any good beyond the Canada gimmick? I was a sucker for watching Edmonton get trashed in IBO and seeing Quebec would be neat if there was a good story behind it.

Well, it's apparently going to be unfinished forever, so that might be a hiccup. I was kinda meh on it. Art's nice, but it doesn't always flow so well, and the plot never hits a good groove before it shifts to a new setup.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The Notorious ZSB posted:

This is just the computer science field in general. Before computers women mathematicians did all the hand calculations for space flight. Once they realized it was profitable/a position of power suddenly men flooded in and took it over.

This picture still gives me a headache just thinking about it.

chiasaur11 posted:

The question is if you want a female main protagonist, or a female Gundam pilot. There's a few cases of each, but they don't tend to overlap.

For lead but not Gundam pilot, there's Arlette Armaju from Twilight AXIS. It's a confusing mess, but she is the lead character, which is nice.

I think you could make a decent argument that Dianna is the main character of Turn-A, since we experience a lot through her eyes and unlike Loran she goes through a proper arc, turning from a sheltered queen in to a normal person who hands off her powers. Realistically, Loran is the main character, is the face of the promotional material, pilots the Gundam and more of the story is from his perspective but from the same point of view that Chris the main character of 0080 I can certainly see the argument that Dianna is the main character of Turn A.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

You can probably make a similar argument for releena too

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ninjewtsu posted:

You can probably make a similar argument for releena too

Yeah, I've seen the argument here that Relena is the main protagonist of Wing too. You could probably extend the same argument to Kudelia in Iron Blooded Orphans too. It's kind of a recurring thing in Gundam at this point that a male Gundam fights for the ideals of a female social or political leader really. Unicorn, Gundam SEED/Destiny and even 00 all do it too; possibly others I'm forgetting. I don't think the case is as strong in any of those because the character is given less focus or characterization, but it's still a trend regardless.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Kudelia could possibly be considered the protagonist of the first season of IBO, but definitely not the second.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

just realized both zeta and double zeta have women piloting a gundam, as does chars counter-attack (technically)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Stairmaster posted:

just realized both zeta and double zeta have women piloting a gundam, as does chars counter-attack (technically)

Victory too, if you're just looking at core UC and/or Tomino UC entries.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Rain pilots a gundam

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

You'd honestly have an easier time listing all the series where women don't pilot a gundam

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

tsob posted:

I think you could make a decent argument that Dianna is the main character of Turn-A, since we experience a lot through her eyes and unlike Loran she goes through a proper arc, turning from a sheltered queen in to a normal person who hands off her powers. Realistically, Loran is the main character, is the face of the promotional material, pilots the Gundam and more of the story is from his perspective but from the same point of view that Chris the main character of 0080 I can certainly see the argument that Dianna is the main character of Turn A.

You definitely can, I always like shows that separate the hero and the main character in this way. It's not Gundam but Macross 7 does it pretty well, the show develops Gamlin a lot more than Basara.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Macross 7 developed the fan holding flowers more than Basara

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gaius Marius posted:

You'd honestly have an easier time listing all the series where women don't pilot a gundam

I don't think it's quite as often as that. The series that don't have women pilot Gundams (so far as I recall) are:

08th MS Team
Unicorn
F91
Wing
X
Turn A
SEED

Which is actually quite a few of the main series. Technically Sochie does pilot the Turn A once, but it's one episode so I wouldn't count it personally. Then again, Rain pilots for so little time that I'm not sure I'd count her either, honestly. Ennil was supposed to get a Gundam in X too, but the cancellation meant the show ended up cutting the episodes where it'd happen to try and squeeze in an ending. On the other hand, 0079 and Turn are kind of outliers in that they only have one Gundam in the show, so it's not so stark as a show like SEED or 00 with a half dozen or more Gundams all piloted by men. Did a woman "pilot" a Gundam in Build Fighters? I konw there were female Gundam users in Try, Divers and Re:Rise, but I can't remember if there were any in the original Build Divers.

On the other hand, for shows with female Gundam pilots we have:

Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Victory
G
SEED Destiny
Build Fighters Try
Build Divers
G-Reco
Build Divers: ReRise

It's a pretty even number, but leans a bit more towards "no female Gundam pilots". Mind you, several of the ones with no female Gundam pilots do have female pilots in other mobile suits, just not Gundams. There's still several shows with a major female pilot so far as I recall though.

tsob fucked around with this message at 00:25 on May 8, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Karen in 08th, Nena trinity in 00. Also even if rain doesn't count surely Allenby does.

Didn't sayla also take the rx78 out for a spin once.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
Just because Karen gets jobbed every episode so the plot will continue doesn't mean she doesn't drive a Gundam.

efb

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Karen in 08th, Nena trinity in 00. Also even if rain doesn't count surely Allenby does.

Didn't sayla also take the rx78 out for a spin once.

She did and she managed to get its foot cut in half. I can't remember if this was before or after Char gave her the nazi gold to bail out of the war effort and live a private life.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

tsob posted:

I don't think it's quite as often as that. The series that don't have women pilot Gundams (so far as I recall) are:

08th MS Team
Unicorn
F91
Wing
X
Turn A
SEED

Which is actually quite a few of the main series. Technically Sochie does pilot the Turn A once, but it's one episode so I wouldn't count it personally. Then again, Rain pilots for so little time that I'm not sure I'd count her either, honestly. Ennil was supposed to get a Gundam in X too, but the cancellation meant the show ended up cutting the episodes where it'd happen to try and squeeze in an ending. On the other hand, 0079 and Turn are kind of outliers in that they only have one Gundam in the show, so it's not so stark as a show like SEED or 00 with a half dozen or more Gundams all piloted by men. Did a woman "pilot" a Gundam in Build Fighters? I konw there were female Gundam users in Try, Divers and Re:Rise, but I can't remember if there were any in the original Build Divers.

On the other hand, for shows with female Gundam pilots we have:

Zeta
ZZ
Char's Counterattack
Victory
G
SEED Destiny
Build Fighters Try
Build Divers
G-Reco
Build Divers: ReRise

It's a pretty even number, but leans a bit more towards "no female Gundam pilots". Mind you, several of the ones with no female Gundam pilots do have female pilots in other mobile suits, just not Gundams. There's still several shows with a major female pilot so far as I recall though.

Even without counting Rain you still haven Allenby in the Nobel and uh...

Were any of the one off Gundam pilots women? Its been so long I can't remember

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

tsob posted:

08th MS Team
Unicorn
F91
Wing
X
Turn A
SEED

0079: Sayla, multiple episodes.
08th MS Team: Karen, Ground Gundam, throughout the series.
0083: Cima, GP04G Gerbera. (Edge case, Gundam markings were removed from Mobile Suit before Cima's use.)
Unicorn: Marida Cruz, Banshee Gundam.
F91: N/A
Wing: Lady Une, Wing Gundam
X: N/A
Turn A: Sochie, Turn A, one episode.
SEED: Murrue, Strike, episode 1
00: Nena Trinity, Throne Drei
Iron Blooded Orphans: N/A

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I think one of the og shuffle alliance was a woman.

Did Marissa ever pilot the banshee?

I wouldn't count murrue piloting the strike unless you count tifa as the X's pilot

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
rain briefly got (well, stole) her own gundam and she was the one who took down berserk allenby for the last time.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Arcsquad12 posted:

She did and she managed to get its foot cut in half. I can't remember if this was before or after Char gave her the nazi gold to bail out of the war effort and live a private life.

It was before. She pilots during the Ramba Ral arc, around about episode 16 or 17. Char gives her the gold when they meet in the Texas Colony, which is episode 36 or 37.

chiasaur11 posted:

0079: Sayla, multiple episodes.
08th MS Team: Karen, Ground Gundam, throughout the series.
0083: Cima, GP04G Gerbera. (Edge case, Gundam markings were removed from Mobile Suit before Cima's use.)
Unicorn: Marida Cruz, Banshee Gundam.
F91: N/A
Wing: Lady Une, Wing Gundam
X: N/A
Turn A: Sochie, Turn A, one episode.
SEED: Murrue, Strike, episode 1
00: Nena Trinity, Throne Drei
Iron Blooded Orphans: N/A

When else did Sayla pilot the Gundam? I can only remember the once. I definitely forgot some, but I did mention that Sochie pilots once and that I don't count that personally. I guess it's the difference between "did it technically happen for any amount of time ever", and "was there a female Gundam pilot as a significant part of the show"? Cause yeah, Allenby definitely counts as that later, but Murrue piloting the Strike for a few seconds before Kira takes over is such a minor occurance the only reason I could see someone including it is to fit in a "well technically" quota.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
You don’t even need Murrue as a technicality, you’re all forgetting Strike Rouge.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Merrybell is also the Turn A's designated pilot after the Ghingnham Faction captures it. She doesn't get to keep it for long thanks to Joseph, but she manages to do some impressive damage with it first.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

rain briefly got (well, stole) her own gundam and she was the one who took down berserk allenby for the last time.

Yeah there's no universe in which Rain piloting a Gundam is a technicality, she had a solo fight with it against a major antagonist unit and beat it on her own.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Ojjeorago posted:

You don’t even need Murrue as a technicality, you’re all forgetting Strike Rouge.

that's even more of a technicality.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
Nena was the one who decided to basically recreate a drone a strike on the wedding Louise was at in the Throne Dei too. I thought G-Unit had a female Gundam pilot though? It's been forever since I read it so I could be misremembering.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are you confusing Murrue with Cagalli maybe? She was the Strike Rouge's pilot after Kira got the Freedom.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tulalip Tulips posted:

Nena was the one who decided to basically recreate a drone a strike on the wedding Louise was at in the Throne Dei too. I thought G-Unit had a female Gundam pilot though? It's been forever since I read it so I could be misremembering.

I believe G-Unit had two women in a custom Vayete and Mercurius, going by what was in GGCR.

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Arcsquad12 posted:

Short answer: Not really.

Long answer: Ecole du Ciel has some interesting bits but the whole thing doesn't really gel together. The main character, Asuna, is like Banagher where their lovely fathers forced them to go through Newtype training as kids. The first act is like a Gundam-esque take on the first episode of Gunbuster, with the plucky underdog, trying her best to be a pilot in the Canada training facility while slowly getting close with the top student in their class. We also see the Federation's attempts to find their own Newtypes, despite fearing what Amuro was capable of.

As for its flaws, the story is split into three acts with a timeskip between each part and new supporting characters introduced, so it's hard to get attached to the cast. It loves to do in media res but it doesn't work since the stuff it reveals down the line are things that should've been used to establish the new status quo instead. The third act takes place during Zeta, but Tokyopop didn't translate the last 3 volumes so we don't even know what Asuna did to impact that time period. And unfortunately for your question, the Canada setting is ditched mid-part when they head to space, where the rest of the series happens.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Even then, as someone who lives in Montreal, you don't see anything related to my city in the manga. It could have been set anywhere. :smith:

TenementFunster
Feb 20, 2003

The Cooler King

lol this motherfucker

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
It's strange that IBO has more than a few women mobile suit pilots but no Gundam pilots. A symptom of Tekkadan being a sausage fest I guess.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Rabbi Tupac posted:

It's strange that IBO has more than a few women mobile suit pilots but no Gundam pilots. A symptom of Tekkadan being a sausage fest I guess.

Also a consequence of there being slightly fewer Gundams going around than the average full run series.

IBO's not on the same level as with original or Turn A where you got two options for your Gundam, take it or leave it, but it's only got five, which trends towards the low end. What's more, the Gundams aren't ever passed to another pilot except through death, meaning that (depending how you count Ein) there's as few as six pilots for the Gundams in the whole series. While the original has at least four people pilot the RX-78, however briefly (Amuro, Sayla, Ryu, and... I think Marker Clan, in Time, be Still?), Dante Mogro couldn't even get Barbatos out of park without frying his brain a bit.

Makes it less of a lock that there's one for one overlap between "plot significant pilot" and "gets a Gundam for a bit".

(That said, Carta probably owned a Gundam, but she never used it that we saw.)

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~
Hayato pilots the Gundam in "Time, Be Still". Kind of. He sits in the cockpit and raises the foot a few inches so Amuro can remove the last bomb, then leaves again. I'm not sure I'd even qualify that as piloting even in a technical sense, to be honest. When did Ryu pilot it? I don't remember him using anything but the Core Fighter. He's listed on the Wikia as piloting it too, so I assume he did, but I have no idea when. Does it just mean the Core Fighter, since that's technically part of the Gundam?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Aren't there one or two female Gundam pilots in the IBO spinoff stuff?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
Yeah, IBO Gekko has Gundam Gremory with a female pilot.