Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

everythingWasBees posted:

Also, first page, so MS IGLOO is great disregard the haters. They can't appreciate the glory of tank combat.

The rest of the show's kinda eh just watch all the tank related episodes.

MS IGLOO is absolutely atrocious and I love it very much. It's one of the very few things that makes the Type 61 not look like a useless hunk of poo poo, but you probably shouldn't watch it if you have a low tolerance for weird undercurrents of fascist apologia and/or incredibly dodgy CGI humans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I was visiting family in Taiwan during the mid-90s and my parents ended up buying me a NG 1/100 Wing Gundam kit since I thought it looked cool; later when Wing hit the states I was like "aww hell yeah, that's the cool thing!" Also much later watching Build Fighters when the Fellini episode aired, I had a brainwave and dug through my old poo poo to find the kit was still mostly intact, only the V-Fin had snapped off in exactly the opposite location to the Fenice :unsmith:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

boom boom boom posted:

Scopedog is the best Zaku

yeah

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
WaDOM

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
WE'VE BEEN UNDER ATTACK BY MORBLSUITS FROM GUNDAYMEEUM ALLOY MADE IN OUTER SPACE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtI0Aal3C6w

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

PBS Newshour posted:

Zakus are apparently built to last. Surprising to see them show up here in Turn A.

What are you talking about, there are no Zakus in Turn-A. The MS-06 Borjarnon on the other hand, now that's a quality mobile suit.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

Yeah it's not really full of impactful and dramatic emotional conflict either, its a very subdued series.

That's what I mean by it being the near exact opposite of something like thunderbolt which is all intense emotion and action.

It has one dramatic scene of violence punctuating it in the finale, and that contrast is often all people remember which is why Hamburger LOL is so popular a catchphrase.

Honestly, that's why it works so well, because the slow-burn nature of the series gets you worked up for the big dramatic confrontation at the end but by the time you hit it, you actively do not want it to happen even though it's a foregone conclusion at this point. 0080 is anything but subtle about its message in the end, but subtlety isn't always necessary for a story to be effective.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Sharkopath posted:

8th a3 sherman variant got a new suspension so they called it the easy eight

comfy tanks

Technically it's because it was the M4A3E8 and before we started using the NATO reporting alphabet, the US phonetic E was "easy."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

"Fun" trivia: it was Cima Garahau in the Zaku I and as her superior officers told her squad that G-3 was a sedative and not a nerve agent, her being coerced into committing a war crime in the name of Zeon was a huge factor in her deciding to screw over Delaz in 0083.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, Encounters In Space had a Cima-focused thing. It even had an alternate ending where she survives and joins the Federation.

:unsmith:

Cima is the true protagonist of 0083, the plot is just framed around the guy who murders her for the entirely justified and well-thought-out reason of

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
There's also the RB-79N Fisheye:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Monaghan posted:

Zeon fanwank gets thrown around way too much but in igloos case it's completely deserved.

IGLOO is really, really bad, and I say this as someone who unashamedly loves all three series. The Zudah episode in particular is hilarious in that the designated brave dead hero of the day spends his last five minutes alive waxing poetic about what a noble and gallant mobile suit the Zudah is while it's disintegrating around him because of the most idiotic design flaw in imaginary military history. Meanwhile, Gravity Front cheerfully portrays even the most marginally sympathetic federation characters as unhinged psychopaths despite supposedly being Feddie-centered.

But the show also gave us the Hildolfr and somehow made the Type-61 look cool so it gets points in my book for that alone.

3 fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Jan 7, 2017

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFCc5NLTWtc

Always been a fan of Zeta OP 1, not the least of which because it was originally written by Neil Sedaka of all people.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
I really only have two, and they're almost diametric opposites:
∀ Gundam - Getting Syd Mead to redesign one of the most iconic robots in a series that is almost chained to nostalgic inertia was a ballsy move, but it worked. It's identifiably a gundam but at the same time endearingly alien in a way that I think no protagonist gundam has been since. I wish future gundam series followed its lead rather than being slaves to convention, and I can't stand the constant misguided attempts by more traditional designers to create a ∀ design that's more generically "gundam."

RX-79 [G]/Ez8 - Even with the concessions to traditional gundam design cues like the face and the v-fin, the ground gundams look and act convincingly utilitarian; the fact that they break down, get poo poo shot off them constantly, and have to receive in-field modifications and repairs due to ever-changing circumstances infuses them with actual character, like well-worn and lovingly customized M4 Sherman tanks in a universe where most of the hero robots are sleek jet fighters by comparison.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Had to dig up scans I posted ages ago from Mead Gundam (Which has a fairly recent reprint so it's not mega-impossible to find anymore) showing Syd's design process from classic RX-78-2 to Moustache Mech (and you can also tell how one of the original head/face studies ended up becoming the Sumo).

(I don't know why but I keep forgetting that 08th MS Team actually predates Turn A)

(Eventually became the Sumo)

Bonus Turn X:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Lemon-Lime posted:

My favourite Gundam is none of them because they're all gaudy trash. :smuggo: Grunt suit supremacy.

If you forced me to choose at gunpoint, the nu and Alex at least look extremely clean and don't have RX-78 Tonka truck colours, the G-self is kind of interestingly bug-like, the Barbatos looks sufficiently un-Gundam-like to look good even though it would look better with a different paintjob, and the normal mode Unicorn might look cool if someone took a hacksaw to its dumb little horn.

~*TECHNICALLY A GUNDAM*~

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

The GIG posted:

A political cartoon thats just the RX-78 stepping on the word capitalism while Gihren and Garma cry in the foreground.

not quite the same thing but:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Kawamori
Music
Suit design
Kawamori
Mobile Armors
Kawamori
Kawamori

Also this scene (which I suppose technically ticks off all of those points, actually):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BP3TX47VK3k

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s7SloE7AjqI

I feel like posting this video is obligatory whenever Wing comes back up in the discussion. Someone else can post General Septum and his wonderful voice :toot:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm trying to think of a reason why the Unicorn needed to be a mobile suit in the first place instead of a nice big key. As far as protagonist suits go, I find it on the lower end.

To be fair, La+ was installed in secret by Vist after the fact; the Unicorn line of suits was designed to be testbeds for NT-D and used specifically as Newtype-killers, rather than just to unlock Laplace's Box.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

So essentially it's the vist foundation being ironic in an attempt to call attention to how hosed up the UC military industrial complex is

That's about the long and short of it. It's the same reason the whole scavenger hunt for the box specifically leads them to locations representative of the worst atrocities of the Universal Century, because for some reason subtlety does not seem to be a priority for a dude who designed a mobile suit with a giant-rear end horn that turns itself inside-out to take the form of one of history's greatest weapons of mass destruction :v:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Wait, is the core unit for the Atlas an RB-79K Ball???

My favorite armed tangerine is all grown up :3:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kanos posted:

Was the Reuse-P device actually dependent on psycommu? I know it "psycho" in the name, but I was under the impression they were pretty much just hooking the suit up to the pilot's nervous system and that's why they were ruminating about how it could turn pretty much any dumb grunt pilot into a super soldier(for the low, low price of quadruple amputation).

Reuse-P does not use psycommu, no. The whole deal was that they were trying to create a system that could replicate the finer control a psycommu system gives a newtype over their machine but for oldtypes; the catch is you have to saw off both your arms and legs for it to work.

Droyer posted:

Yeah there was no mention of any kind of newtype stuff at all in thunderbolt, unless you count the regular psycho-zaku and zeong showing up in cameos.

There's one dude in Daryl's remnant Acguy squad who gets the newtype flash in the latest episode, but other than that Thunderbolt is p. much all oldtypes.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

DamnGlitch posted:

Noo? Unless it's different in the manga I recall them making reference to them hooking up the nerve endings, that's why they wanted to take his other arm so he would be maximally efficient with the device. that's also the whole imagery of his lost arms and legs returning when he's in the suit.

In the latest episode they talk about the cultists being super dangerous because if the have the reuse system theres nothing stopping crazy cultists from lopping off their limbs and becoming a legion of semi-newtypes.

Yeah, that was my reading of the system as well. When Daryl was testing it, they were only having him do running tests because his legs were already gone; it was only after he lost his first arm that they encouraged him to lop off the other one so they could max the efficiency of the suit. Essentially, it turns a mobile suit into a large-scale prosthesis, which is why it plugs into the same sockets as the living dead division's regular crap prostheses.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Guy Goodbody posted:

Do Minovsky particles interfere with lasers?

No, several shows make a show of pointing out pilots using laser communication because of minovsky interference.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Kanos posted:

08th MS Team isn't even really about methodical tank combat. You still have crazy poo poo happening like the Gouf Custom fight, the ridiculous suicide dive onto the Apsalus III, and the Gouf Flight Type fight from the OVA thingie. Gundam's fight choreography across the entire franchise has always been very flamboyant and it's hard for me to conceive of a "methodical" fight involving Gundams.

Bernie's last stand in 0080 probably comes closest.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Marx Headroom posted:

I just realized Gundams don't have airbags

What the gently caress

Doesn't Marida get a face full of airbag when the Kshatriya gets bodyslammed by the Unicorn in OVA 1?

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Marx Headroom posted:

Best intro imo. Wish the series was a bit longer, the vignettes were the best

edit: i should probably link that best intro huh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_PKgztP0zw

I felt this version was more thematically appropriate:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Yf4AhoGDkQ

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

All three of them are basically this picture by degrees, but MS IGLOO throws all subtlety away and becomes unironic fascist apologia with whatever designated doomed pilot of the episode monologuing about how glorious it is to die for Zeon, and ends with a literal SS commandant heroically sacrificing himself to save a bunch of other doomed pilots.

I would say of the three, 0080 is the strongest simply because while it does use the nihilism of violence as a deliberate aesthetic like Thunderbolt and IGLOO, it does so to present a clear message. December Sky and MS IGLOO (and especially Gravity Front) demonstrate the bleakness of war but without a clear message underpinning the ultraviolence, it becomes parodic rather than poignant.

Also the character animation in IGLOO is really bad.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Arcsquad12 posted:

The "comically evil" federation acts in the show are restricted to sending child soldiers into combat with poor leadership with exceptionally poor results. That's hardly out of line for OYW stories.

Io Fleming is a cartoonish serial murderer who executes one of the walking dead pilots while deliberately and cruelly mocking the rest of them as he does it. This happens in like the first 15 minutes of the show/movie.

My issue with Thunderbolt isn't that it doesn't demonstrate that war is dehumanizing; my issue is that it does not do anything meaningful with this demonstration and instead just shows us a parade of human misery in which people get poo poo on and then die horrible deaths (I'm going to use Claudia as an example in a vacuum because even though I know she actually isn't dead, her entire character arc in December Sky is her being a nervous wreck for the entirety of the film and then her subordinate murdering her for no reason other than spite). If Thunderbolt's moral was that war is a tragic waste of human lives, it lends no weight whatsoever to that moral by making the characters it dehumanizes thoroughly unheroic piles of garbage.

0080 on the other hand uses the unquestionable heroism of the immediate protagonist/antagonist, in this case Bernie and Chris, to create a driving counterpoint to the morality of the war. The only true villain in the story is Killing, whose plan is stopped ultimately with no input from the main characters whatsoever. The ultimate tragedy of 0080 is presented as the fact that the faceless robots actively remove the humanity from their operators and then reduce it to twisted metal and charred hamburger. When Mikhail gets shredded in the Kampfer, it's sudden and horrifying because we get to see it happen from both perspectives, and we can understand the mentality of both Mikhail as he dies still trying to fulfill his objective and Chris as she justifiably tries not to get killed by an enemy combatant. In Thunderbolt, by contrast, there's no effective counterpoint to the chararcters' suffering, there is only suffering.

Arcsquad12 posted:

The "wow cool robot!" Picture also doesn't really apply to 0080 because as far as I know it's the only Gundam series to really criticize the franchise's toyetic aspects (well maybe the mobile dolls from Wing). I can't watch the ending with the kids trying to comfort Al with the knowledge that there will be new cool robots in the next war without viewing it as something of a condemnation of the gunpla scene.

To be clear, in the case of 0080 anyway I was using the picture not as a condemnation of the plot but a concise summary of its themes. Al's classmates thoroughly misread his state of mind at the end of the series because they are so enthralled by the cool robots that they've failed to grasp the full implications of a tragedy that literally happened in their backyard.

3 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Apr 2, 2018

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

It's hard to show how war strips soldiers of their humanity when you're introduced to said characters as either sociopaths or neurotic headcases and then offhandedly told "they were probably good people once."

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

brainwrinkle posted:

I'm not very into Thunderbolt because the characters and events feel more like farce than tragedy to me.

Yeah I don't think Thunderbolt's faults are with it being Zeon-centric (because MS IGLOO already has more than enough of that to go around) but rather because it's nihilistic about both belligerents to the point of parody. The Federation is shown as a callous mass-murdering autocracy that employs both sociopaths and child soldiers while Zeon is a cackling Unit 731 death cult that cons a dude into lopping off his other good arm so he can be a robot slightly better. I will say I do like Thunderbolt more than I like IGLOO because it is really quite pretty, but I just can't take it seriously because everyone in it is an inhuman garbage person that exists to be poo poo on constantly.

Midjack posted:

I know you didn't do this on purpose but given the subject I love you for it anyway.

:ssh:

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
My favorite thing about lovely old Battletech art is that Studio Nue got contracted to do the art for the Japanese sourcebook. As a result, we get to see their redesign of FASA's lovely redesign of the VF-1 Valkyrie, which was originally a Studio Nue design to begin with.

To:

And then:

You can see the other Studio Nue battletech designs here, they put more thought into the Macross-derived unseens than FASA ever did.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
Considering I don't see the indisputably best mobile suit in the top ten, much less any other section of the list as far as I can tell, I think we can safely dismiss this entire exercise as a farce of the highest order.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

tsob posted:

The Ball isn't a mobile suit, it's a mobile pod. Which is kind of a cheaty term that only exists for that one unit and is never used outside manuals and stuff to distinguish it, but it's closer to mobile armor than a mobile suit anyway.

This is canon.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

tsob posted:

It's also not a Ball; it's a Ball that's been used as the basis to build a mobile suit off of. I'm also pretty sure it doesn't make logistical sense, since I recall Balls being nearly as big as a mobile suit. The Altas should be bigger if it uses a Ball as a torso. Or have weird proportions, with tiny limbs on a huge torso.

To be fair, the Atlas is designed for underwater combat so it shouldn't be a surprise that its ball shrunk.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
There is no artificial gravity in the Universal Century beyond the centripetal acceleration of the colonies and the Argama's extendo-rooms. You could probably handwave the whole standing on the bridge thing as magnetic boots or something but it's more likely just lazy animators; there's a notable sequence in the 6th Unicorn OVA for example where Angelo escapes from the bridge by kicking off some hapless crew and floating out the door.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
This is just your regular reminder that if you're looking for a completely different perspective on giant robot action, you can't really go wrong with Flag.

And I do mean "different perspective" quite literally, it's done almost entirely from the viewpoint of a photojournalist covering the UN intervention in not-quite-Iraq, and is about as close to found footage as the medium will allow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice

Darth Walrus posted:

No, the Nemo is a vast improvement over the GM II. It’s got movable-frame tech, it’s got a far meatier power plant, and it’s got Luna Titanium armour. It’s one of the finest mass-produced suits of the Gryps Conflict, not least because Anaheim was cutting corners on the Titans’ suits and funnelling funding and resources to the AEUG machines.

IIRC the only difference between the GM II and OG GM is a slightly upgraded powerplant and a panoramic cockpit. Pretty sure the bog-standard Hizack could outperform it.