Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even after all these years, it's still really funny that nether gundam is the one that got mass-produced.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
gms won the 1 year war, but no one finds that exciting so in-universe and out it is quietly ignored.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zeon just plain never had the resources or manpower to conquer earth. but if they had stayed in space then eventually the federation's unchecked war production would have overwhelmed them anyway. i guess they could have started doing orbital bombardments (with objects smaller than colonies) on launch sites to keep the flow of troops into space in check, but that would be a whole other arms race the feds still might win. zeon never seemed terribly interested in suppression or containment, though. making 50 different mobile suits/armors exclusively for fighting on earth was vastly preferable to ever questioning if they should be fighting on earth at all.

so obviously, the only route to zeon victory was mass producing the zakrello.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i bet the part about invading earth was entirely gihren's idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
zeon had a bunch of huge advantages they pissed away on boondoggles and amuro. their initial success was due to a combination of invalidating all the good federation weapons technology with minovsky particles and then introducing mobile suits which were perfectly suited for this new environment. zeon might have been able to raze all federation forces from the earth, but instead they tried to conquer and occupy territory. that's something their tech advantage would never be able to accomplish.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
aside from char, i don't think zeon ever really figured out that the gundam was just a mobile suit. amuro was the real weapon. for all the bullshit newtypes can do in a mobile weapon, they aren't particularly impressive outside of one. but regardless of how practical it might be, assassinating the living war god while he is just a surly, horny teenager isn't very interesting. sweet-rear end robot fights are way better.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kamille learned the hard way that if you live by the sword*, you die by the sword.

*newtype ghost

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i always really liked how all that was set off by fa repeatedly shouting his name in a public place, despite knowing perfectly well how sensitive he was about his name. she was either completely oblivious or loving with him, but the latter is funnier so let's go with that.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kamille chose a poor time to punch jerid in the face, but that doesn't mean punching jerid in the face is ever a bad idea.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
probably, but the titans were never as iconic as zeon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
maybe some of those endless, pointless kamille vs. titans fights would have been interesting if he had fought sinister neo-guntanks.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think when i first watched msg i liked a lot of it ironically, what with all of the silliness. now i love it sincerely.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Gripweed posted:

A new video produced under the theme of "BEYOND", the concept of the 40th anniversary of Gundam. Banagher, the protagonist of Mobile Suit Gundam UC, travels across the world beyond the boundaries of his work. An original story that conveys the appeal of Gundam to a wide range of people across borders and generations.

https://twitter.com/g_trailer_shop/status/1240590639038783488?s=20

if it is meant to convey the appeal of gundam, why is banagher there?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
seed aged like fine milk but i liked it well enough when it was new.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the universe is slightly tainted by destiny existing

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the most interesting thing about seed is the many ways in which they got msg so incredibly wrong.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the horn is used to hold an appropriately sized top hat in place. obviously.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
00 s2 had a lot of problems, but by far the biggest was that hobo exia was only in one episode.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
there were a lot of reasons for this, but amuro spent so much time alone in the cockpit, with no backup. or worse, guntank backup.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because it rocks, that's why.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
war does suck, and model kits are neat. nothing contradictory there.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
char was a dick, but not so much that he'd simply forget kamille existed once he was out of sight. he certainly would have found out what happened to kamille, whether by newtype flashes or otherwise. if nothing else, he certainly would have sought out info on all the known powerful newtypes while planning the events of cca. the dude had a very healthy respect for the absolute bullshit newtype kids can pull.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i'm not sure if kamille served as any of char's post-zeta motivations, but that's very different from char caring so little that he never bothered to find out what happened to kamille. however, he had enough going on at the time that he might have only looked into it after kamille's recovery and permanent retirement. kamille had a reasonably happy ending, but he never became the newtype messiah char hoped for and that's likely where char's interest ended.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Nessus posted:

Didn't minovsky particles also gently caress up EM communication in various forms? Or was that just if you deliberately goosed your reactor to do it? I was never sure if that was a retcon or if it was in there from the beginning, but it does a fair bit to let the UC still work as science marches on, even if as a retro-future: "you can't have ubiquitious mobile wireless networking or whatever because it's incompatible with the dirt-cheap totally clean energy."

that was part of the rationale for mobile suits. radar doesn't work, so guided missiles don't work.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
stealth bits are gone because it is all newtypes, all the time now. they aren't stealthy when used against other newtypes.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
ah, the ghost gundam then. that was a crossbone variant, i think.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if aeug hadn't picked him up kamille would have died shortly after stealing the mk2.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
prior to mikazuki, uso had a worse everything than anyone.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even the treads make sense, as there's no way for it to fire such enormous cannons and stay on two feet. they are artillery, not beam guns. it only gets silly and pointless in space.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
turrets on base ships aren't generally allowed to achieve anything in gundam. that would take away the focus from robot fights.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the federation only had one amuro, but zeon had like 50 chars and that number only goes up with each new oyw story.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
my favorite thing about 0083 is how people somehow watch it and then think it serves as a demonstration of zeon nobility. it's also kind of funny how awful nina is, but that can't carry a show.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i don't think fa ever tried piloting a ms that wasn't trash for idiot clowns, right?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a pretty poor leader, too.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
he's a skilled pilot, but char never remotely lived up to his inflated reputation. i don't think anyone could.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
even though kamille survived, scirocco still killed char's aspirations for him.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the format of crossbone being multiple short manga means that there are a shitload of main unit upgrades. it's hard to keep track of them all.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Hmm. Hmm. Yes. On the other hand:

is infinitely better than just glowy red eyes.

wait, when was blue destiny ever animated?

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
don't underestimate the zakrello. just don't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think any uc character would freeze up if confronted with a love love sekiha tenkyoken.