Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Sharkopath posted:

The GM Underground Combat Type is a GM Cold Climate but with drills for hands and a new headlamp. Incredible.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

New thread tag lookin good.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Really? Because it's something I've read on a lot of different articles about the Super Robot Wars series online.

Any of them source that allegation? Didn't think so. It's been going around long enough that it's accepted as an article of faith.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

Aaaah, just like half the information on what's really going on in Evangelion or almost anything about "Tomino once said..."

Exactly.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Surely aiming for centre mass is proof of better training, since that's where the cockpit is? They're also using ballistic weapons, so their odds of causing a reactor breach are minimal, unlike the Hygogg's seemingly-beam gatlings that the Cyclops team is using on GM torsos willy-nilly in that scene. :v:

You aim to make the enemy combat ineffective at minimum risk to your forces. Whether that's kill the pilot, kill the cameras, destroy the legs or whatever else we can't say; the small scale physics of a fantasy world are forever unknowable, or more accurately up to the writer.

And reactor explosions never seem to matter unless the writer wants them to, in Victory, X, and Unicorn.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

Not big on the music, but the cheesy saxophone ending is awesome.

The opening and ending themes for the NA release were changed because of some licensing bullshit, find the original songs on YouTube or something.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

watch VOTOMs.

Good advice in any circumstances.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Saving this for the next namechange thread.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kanos posted:

I'm so glad that the prevailing opinion is now that ZZ is good because a couple years back the general opinion was that it was poo poo and I thought that was crazy and unjust. This isn't a "I liked ZZ before it was popular" thing, I'm legitimately really happy that other people like the show too because it's one of my favorite UC Gundam productions.

I still don't care for it but I'm open to revising my opinion if I ever watch it again.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

What some people call opportunism, I call good tactics. :colbert:

gently caress fair. Fair is when I win.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Why are both sets missing a card?

It's a 3x4 grid and there are 13 cards in each suit.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

EthanSteele posted:

For weird merch: You can get pens with Char and Amuro torsos on the top that salute to pop the writing bit out. There's a Haro with waggly ears, a Zaku head with a panning monoeye and a Z'Gok claw that opens up too. I think the dumbest thing I've seen is a LaPlace Box memo holder.

Years ago when I ordered a robot damashii I got a Zeta mechanical pencil which is one year older than I am as a free bonus. I guess we just don't get to see a lot of the child-centric non-kit merch.

The colony drop tablet stand is the best worst merch:

The Garma's Funeral Speech stand is pretty excellent too:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

From the mecha thread

a kitten posted:

No, this one.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

IBO hasn't even completed 20% of its run; it is way the gently caress too early to recommend it in the context of robot fights. I love it to bits so far but for all we know the Barbatos may never fight again.

It probably will, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NowonSA posted:

My favorite two Gundam series are Gundam Wing and Gundam SEED. Wing was part of my regular Toonami anime experience and is full of nostalgia, and Seed fills my need for Gundams locking on to 100 enemies and spamming beams and missiles everywhere at once, and the use of those tiny drone laser shooters whose name I'm forgetting right now. G Gundam was also fun, can't beat a Gundam with a giant windmill on the back.

How are Reconguista and Origin? They sound solid but I haven't caught them yet.

Origin is basically "Char and Sayla Grow Up;" it's fun to see it animated but it's sparse on robot fights. G-Reco was good but the pacing was very fast and it demands some attention from the viewer.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

"Filler" is rarely filler. People just seem to not think of characterization or worldbuilding as plot development for some reason.

That's a good point; even if it's not plot pushing it can still reveal things. Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex explicitly labeled its episodes as "Stand Alone" or "Complex" on the title card depending on whether or not they were advancing the main plot of the season, and I wouldn't consider any of the "Stand Alone" episodes filler.

I generally define a filler episode as one in which you don't learn anything new.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

Oh my god they're keeping the pirate jazz station! and non-CG Mobile Suits!

i thought you maintained a strict no piracy policy

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

boom boom boom posted:

I stop reading scans if and when a manga gets licensed.

another one liner wasted

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Gaia Gear with didgeridoo accompaniment.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Droyer posted:

Technically you should probably count Anno Domini twice. 00 takes place 300 years in the future, but gunpla builders beginning g, build fighters and build fighters try take place more or less now.

I thought Gunpla Builders and Build Fighters took place in the far future after Turn A. :v:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

It's been a couple of years since I watched Turn A, but I remember thinking that Guin had a similar obsession with Loran as Treize did with the pilots in Wing, and that at first Guin legitimately believed Loran was a woman, then kept running with it because he didn't want to admit to making a mistake. It honestly just seemed to me that Guin was "WTF TOMINO" weird rather than gay.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I don't think it's very much of a stretch to say that Guin was gay, attracted to Loran and conflicted about how to handle it in a society that probably wasn't very open to the concept of gay men. This handily explains all of the Loran/Laura thing and is a lot more interesting than "lol, Tomino is weird."

That works.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

The last Volume of Gundam: The Origin hit today. It covers the end of the series as well as three mini-stories. One covers the birth of Char and the other two are post-war stories about the White Base crew.

It's a solid ending overall. It absolutely ends as if The Origin was a self-contained thing. There's no sequelbaiting for Zeta and the Amuro-based post-war story ends with him going to rebuild Side 7 so you can argue it actually sets itself in a position where Zeta Gundam can't happen. It makes a pretty good self-contained read from start to finish and is probably the definitive version of the story.

Also, uh, I guess nobody knew this in the US but the postscript from the last volume of The Origin flat-out states they're making an OAV that only covers the flashback arc!

Yeah dude, first 2 episodes of The Origin are already out. Four total. Wholly unverified speculation is that if it does well Sunrise will do an Origin series.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I am aware of that but the translated statement is from a good long time ago but there was plenty of arguments that it was going to cover other material when the answer was already plainly stated! (Just.. in Japanese material.)

OK, got it, I thought that was kind of a weird thing for you to post. :cheers:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

closeted republican posted:

Fun fact: Origin model kits use a different "brand" label compared to the rest of the 0079-derived products.

Products from 0079 (the RX-78-2 head):

Products from Origin (Origin logo):

Bandai seems like they're ready to support Origin long-term if they're willing to give it a seperate brand label.

That or it's an excuse to sell you a Zaku or Gundam for the 10th time because this one is so different.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Both the Andrew WK and Richie Kotzen albums are pretty decent.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I do have a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oDitTXd0hQ

This might not be the same thing as Full Boost, the new Vita one that's due out in Asian English in Jan/Feb.

It is. VS Force is the one you describe. Extreme VS Full Boost is the most recent to have a console release on PS3. Maxi Boost is the newest in arcades and not yet announced for consoles.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Man, the last shot there is so genuinely uncomfortable. Dude seems that death coming.

Experiencing any demise from first person is always bad. See the gopro movies recovered from the bodies of dead climbers and bikers, or the final tapes of dead journalists who were shot while holding a camera.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

muike posted:

Io's a huge piece of poo poo. Interesting to watch. I am shocked that a drummer can operate a mobile suit though.

They'd have good coordination among all four limbs doing different things.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TenementFunster posted:

io fleming is a puuuuuuuuuuuuunk

Oh poo poo, nice to see you again TF!

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

TheManSeries posted:

So did Klim originally die? I was flicking through tv tropes and it said he did. I watched this through the OZC Blu-ray so I know a lot of the final episode changes.

He lived to the end in the original broadcast too.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Son Ryo posted:

According to who? They're not referring to actual gigantic monsters, it's a name, they can have it pronounced however they want.

Yeah, my username actually pronounced like "big woman pleasing dick" and I'm amazed how many people get this wrong. :iiam:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Please god tell me the whole 'We have to assemble the Victory Gundam piece by piece' goes away. I'm already tired of it.

No, it happens pretty much the whole time. I got tired of it too, especially when it took them forever to get the thing out though Usso did get to do some fun improvised stuff in the meantime.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Keep loving that chicken, MNeidengard. :spergin:

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Man this Jon guy sounds like he's really an rear end in a top hat.

EDIT: Also here's part 4: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ATzU_blOQk

Midjack fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Jan 4, 2016

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

Now and Then, Here and There.

Missed that one the first time around and holy cow that is an ultraviolet (sic) dark show.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Shoehead posted:

Just started watching original Mobile Suit Gundam which is the only other Gundam other than Wing I've seen. I didn't realise Wing cribbed a heap wrt to Zechs. Even that whole reentry bit was redone

Zechs goes through a similar arc as Char did except Char took two shows and a movie to get there.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

unpurposed posted:

So is there a way to buy the Unicorn Blu-rays with both the dub and sub? I can't seem to find them anywhere - or some places just have only a couple of them.

For example, would this (http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mint-Mobile...CAAAOSwg3FUo4mp) be the set I'm looking for?

All the Unicorn BRs had both English dubs and sub on them regardless of where they were sold, only the text on the case was different. So you can buy them from overseas if you can't find them here. The set you linked was the Japanese limited editions, which cost more for a slipcase with different art over the same BR case as the regular editions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

The thing bout Zeon being the purest definition of awful is that everyone in UC keeps reinventing them and their "ideals." Zeon killed half of the human population should be a pretty damning statement but nope, they still have supporters and revivals aplenty.

So there must be something attractive about the Principality in-universe so I assume the same thing attracts real life fans, too.

It's the stylish uniforms. Only thing I can come up with.