Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
00 names will always be let down by the fact that Lockon Stratos and his identical twin brother, Lockon Stratos, are not actually really called Lockon Stratos or Lockon Stratos, but instead have boring normal names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The United States posted:

The reddit fancast has Anthony Seymour Hopkins as Degwin just because of their similar headshape but I say Werner Herzog or bust

Cast the entire Zabis as German-speaking Hollywood actors. Werner Herzog as Degwin. Schwarzenegger as Dozle. Daniel Brühl as Gihren.

I'm not actually sure who you'd cast as Kycilia or Garma.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:06 on Oct 27, 2021

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

They'll probably reopen them when then Tokyo Olympics finally happen

I have some bad news on that front.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Sextro posted:

It seemed clear to me she was basically saying all that for the historical record and posterity, making sure all the other people with guns understood what she was saying and what it meant she was about to do.

They're whispering while standing next to each other and no one on the bridge is hearing their conversation. She doesn't make any kind of public statement before or after shooting him. The bridge crew react with surprise when they see Gihren's corpse floating, and literally did not hear the shot.

She's genuinely angry and outraged when she discovers that he murdered their father:
https://files.catbox.moe/38i3dk.webm
https://files.catbox.moe/1qe2je.webm

chiasaur11 posted:

I think she thinks of it as crossing one of the very, very few lines she has left, which she probably previously assumed Gihren had too. Like, maybe he didn't know that Degwin was going to be hit, maybe it was a snap military decision where he regretted it later, maybe there's some other reason this is just the usual play and not him doing something even Kycilia thinks is beyond the pale. And then when he showed no regret, well, political games are done, he has to die now.

It's definitely this, and it's a shame this was cut out of The Origin because it's one of the very few humanising moments Kycilia gets.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Nov 15, 2021

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

??? She immediately announces to the bridge crew that she killed gihren for assassinating Degwin, and follows up that she’ll be happy to face charges raised by any of them as long as they survive the battle first.

You're right, but it's not any kind of political statement or grand speech about why she had to kill Gihren. It's literally just to the bridge crew to snap them out of their stunned silence, because they're in the middle of a battle and being shot at.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

It's inherently political because she just performed an assassination, yes, that is not the same as her doing it purely or primarily for politically motivated reasons though. Kycellia is allowed to kill someone because she's angry without it being the crux of a long planned political scheme

Well I mean she isn't exactly allowed to but you know

Definitely allowed to kill this specific person.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

G-Reco is fantastic, and the mixed response is entirely due to the fact that the show expects you to pay attention and think a little bit.

Glad to see we still have people trotting out the good old "if you had a problem with G-Reco you're an idiot who can't pay attention" posts. :rolleyes:

G-Reco has atrocious pacing and glaring issues with how characters are written, and is nowhere near as good as Turn-A. It very obviously needed another cours' worth of episodes to better develop its ideas and characters in.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 21, 2021

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It remains a very good-looking show with some cool MS designs, too, so if you have time for mediocre anime, it's worth watching.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Narzack posted:

I'm completely new to the whole shebang, but I know that Gundam Wing is the one that I really want to watch. There are so many different opinions out there, but what's a good viewing order? I'm starting with Mobile Suit Gundam, and I like it, so I'll finish it, but where should I go from there? I'm watching on a friend's server, and he has-

People already covered the rest but make sure you watch Turn-A Gundam at some point (preferably after seeing some other Gundam stuff), it's by far the best long-form/full-length Gundam show.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

My take on Char and Quattro was helpfully formed by discussions I had way back when I first watched Zeta.

I really liked Quattro as a character. Until this scene

The "Ever!" for emphasis just makes it even more galling to me as somebody who really felt for Garma. But talks I had at the time pointed out the significance of Char's final scene (or near final scene) being on a stage. "Quattro" has never betrayed anybody, because he's not "Char."

The statement is wholly consistent with what Char has done up to that point: he's never betrayed anyone in his life because he's never actually been on anyone's side except his own. He owes no allegiance to anyone except himself. Every time he's worked with someone else it's been purely in the name of advancing his agenda and his goals. He was a double-agent inside the Zeon military, and the AEUG's goals happened to line up with his.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Their relationship is essentially chivalric courtly love, so the knight in shining armour metaphor is especially appropriate.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

Watched the first episode of The Origin again this morning after the last G-Witch cuz I felt like it. That opening battle and the music is so loving good at emphasizing "The entire Earth Sphere is on fire." and how absolutely terrifying Mobile Suits are against conventional battle tactics.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r8PuKqUNTd0

Rows of ships flying at each other in tight formation and blowing up because they're too stupid to realise this isn't the parade ground, while entirely consistent with later UC material such as 0083, does not in fact make for a particularly interesting or awe-inspiring battle, IMO.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

I mean rows of ships flying in tight formation and being a wall of guns is kind of standard operating procedure for space opera fleet battles.

You know what happens when we've gone a while without a war and technology has crept up very fast in the interim years? We tend to fight pretty badly until we figure out the new paradigm.

Yes, and it's bad!

They could at least do turn-of-the-century naval tactics.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

they put the 0083 movie on youtube should i rec it to people

The animation and MS designs in 0083 are very good.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Caros posted:

You don't have a point of comparison though. It is possible Mika pulls those moves off in any other high end mobile suite if you get the 'limiter off' effect.

Characters look into the camera and go "so this is the power that ended the Calamity War" as it's happening.

e; he is literally bleeding and rendered partially paralytic because of how powerful Barbatos' throughput is. The show makes this explicit; Gundams have a limiter, and non-Gundam MSes do not.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:43 on Nov 16, 2022

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Argas posted:

She was a Titans pilot at Augusta afaik, and attacks the Zeta Gundam after Rosamia bites it in the Psycho Mk-2 and gets disarmed and left to drift, so going by that image, she gets picked up by Neo Zeon afterwards, and/or joins them.

I appreciate that they made a character who seems just hell-bent on making the worst decision possible at every major point in UC history.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

That video does a good job of situating newtypes in their historical context and I'll probably link it next time I see someone ask why 0079 suddenly has psychics. Cool stuff, thanks for posting it.

I liked their Federation ideology one as well, which is a decent overview of how its portrayal has changed over the years.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

I just watched that video but having not seen any new Gundam, I'm curious what he means by calling it revisionist or Frank Miller Gundam.
https://youtu.be/A_lgRJ0m6Ug?t=755

Thunderbolt takes OYW-era UC Gundam and makes it grim and sordidly violent the same way Miller took Batman and made him grim and sordidly violent.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

What does UA and UC mean? Are the numeric prefixes some series have related to chronology?

I have Thunderbolt and Unicorn at the top of my list since they seem to hit the visual spectacle I’m looking for most. Also gonna check War in the Pocket, Stardust Memory, and MS Team later on if I wind up with the time for them.

Thanks again for all the recommendations.

UC is Universal Century, which is the "main" Gundam universe/timeline. This is the one with the One Year War, Zeon, Amuro and Char, Anaheim Electronics, the Titans, etc.

"AU" is the acronym for "alternate universe" (which is kind of a misnomer in the case of Gundam since none[*] of them are actual AUs). In the context of Gundam, people are using it as a synonym for timeline/universe.

Each Gundam universe has its own calendar notation, which people sometimes use as shorthand to refer to that universe/timeline ("UC" is in fact the calendar prefix in UC Gundam). For example, the Wing timeline is AC (After Colony), Seed is CE (Cosmic Era), and Witch from Mercury is AS (Ad Stella).

Most timelines/universes only have one or two shows/manga set in them, so people generally refer to them by the show's name, but "UC Gundam" gets used because there are so many shows/manga/games set in the Universal Century that you can't refer to it by the name of a single thing.

Listing just main shows/OVAs/films alone: 0079, 08th MS, 0080, Zeta, 0083, ZZ, Char's Counterattack, Unicorn, Hathaway are all set in the core UC timeline, and that's before you even get into Late UC (F91 and the Crossbone manga, so-named because these are technically set in the same timeline as the One Year War, but far enough in the future that aesthetics and characters are different).

The numerical prefixes in 0080 and 0083 are part of the show's names, and designate the UC year they're set in. By extension, 0079 is one of the nicknames (alongside First Gundam) given to the original Mobile Suit Gundam show, which is set in UC 0079. We use these because they're shorter than typing out the entire show name and clearer than acronyms would be.

[*] technically, The Origin is a Universal Century AU, since it's sort of not canon to 0079.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Jan 25, 2023

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The exact place (down to the month/week) of stuff in the UC timeline doesn't really matter a lot of the time, because a lot of spinoff stuff will just flagrantly contradict "canon" dates/facts in the name of designing new things to make model kits of.

08th MS Team etc. are all meant to be set in the same timeline as 0079, whereas The Origin is very explicitly not.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 25, 2023

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Monaghan posted:

8th ms team has the thing were two characters meet for like 3 -5 hours total and then decide that they are madly in love and completely change their worldviews based on this limited interaction. It's lovely lazy writing that I despise. It becomes such a central part of the story later on that it becomes impossible to ignore.

It's literally Romeo and Juliet.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's a whole lot less excuses made for him in OG Yamato but he still gets his redemption arc there.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Gripweed posted:

That best Gundam character twitter poll is insanely hosed up but it does look like the final to decide the best Gundam character will be Katejina vs Puru.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Aaron_the_BLM/status/1631324502817644546

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IBO consistently has great music. Masaru Yokoyama ftw.

I'm glad Urdr Hunt is being salvaged from the mobile game now that it's ending, at least.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nuebot posted:

Then I realized that poo poo, that's how gundam always is, isn't it? People just yelling at each other in robot fights because no one decides to just switch that poo poo off.

No, 90% of the time it's emphatically not this, and only the audience is hearing anyone talking. Especially in the UC, where Minovsky particles make it impossible to communicate over distances which means mobile suits have to be physically touching each other to communicate if the particle density is high enough.

Characters being able to understand each other at a distance usually indicates they're newtypes (or whatever the AU equivalent is).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Dec 1, 2023

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I mean, it's an Ippei Gyoubu design.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Jan 30, 2024

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Iriscoral posted:

UC's problem ultimately boils down to that Zeon, the side representing the colonized and anti-imperialist factions of humanity, was already delibrately set up to be the villain, with them being the first to initate the all infamous colony drop (as well as the Zabis taking over and establishing a monarchy via plot device). This basically gives all credence and fuel to the idea of the Federation being the lesser evil and justifies the status quo continuing as is.

I think UC Gundam makes very half-hearted attempts at distinguishing between Zeonism and Zabism, which is a shame, because manga or a show exploring that would be cool (give me a story about contolist and Zeonist resistance to Zabism on Munzo during the months immediately preceding the OYW), and because to an extent it would fix some of this problem.

It's way too late now to make this change; it would have needed one of the mainstream UC entries to directly address where the various Principality of Zeon successor entities exist across that divide, and explicitly deal with the way that late-UC Char positions himself as an anti-Zabist Zeonist but is all too happy to coopt Zabist iconography and actively court Zabist remnants by playing into the Zabist myth that the Principality inherited Deikun's political will (because he's an opportunistic piece of poo poo).

But this is a franchise about giant robots shooting each other up, and neither Gundam creators or Gundam fans want characters to sit around for 15-25 minutes discussing political theory.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:56 on Mar 1, 2024

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Runa posted:

thinking bout Dougram's two episode Land Reform Arc

I wholly and sincerely love Dougram and the land reform arc is a big part of why, which makes me sad that it's unlikely we'll ever have another show like it.

Kanos posted:

Zeon-the-ideology isn't evil or even really wrong. It's a movement that comes into being because the OYW irreparably broke everything and the constant aftershocks and fallout of that conflict prevented any attempt to even effectively staunch the bleeding, nevermind effect meaningful repairs.

I think you need to further distinguish between Zeonism (the political ideology of Zeon Zum Deikun, which is never really fully explored but seems to more or less boil down to "no taxation without representation," with many of its adherents also being contolists to some degree or another, and which actually becomes realised in a limited way in the form of the pre-OYW independent Republic of Side 3), and the post-OYW remnant Zeonism.

The latter is essentially some kind of Lost-Cause-ish ideology named after the Principality, where everyone in charge politely pretends that the Zabis were right, that the Principality was the continuation of Zeon Zum Deikun's political ideology, and that the Federation must be fought because of what they did to the Principality, which is extended by proxy by everyone participating to represent all Spacenoids (which is what the Zabis claimed).

Axis Zeon, Neo Zeon, and the Unicorn Zeon remnants are all explicitly Remnant Zeonists. Char is an ardent contolist, and an anti-Zabist for purely personal reasons, but very clearly does not give a poo poo about Zeonism as a political ideology.

e; I'm pretty sure we never see any post-OYW OG-Zeonists depicted in anything, but also IMO it's genuinely impossible for post-OYW UC as a setting to not contain people who are agitating for colonial independence from the Federation separate from Remnant Zeonism, and those factions would be more direct ideological descendants of Deikun's Zeonism than any of the Remnant Zeonist factions.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Mar 1, 2024

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Kanos posted:

I think Char's Neo Zeon and the Sleeves are a little complex in ways that differentiate them from Zabi remnants like Delaz and the Axis Fleet, though. CCA Neo Zeon is basically completely divorced from the Zabis in philosophy and objective but is utilizing Zabi methods(extreme violence/atrocities) to achieve Deikun's ideological goals(forcing humanity to migrate into space en masse). The Sleeves have basically lost their unifying ideology but are still holding their organization together through hero-worship of Char Aznable(in the form of Full Frontal) because Char Aznable was the last symbol they had that gave them a hope of any kind of success.

I don't think Remnant Zeonism has to be explicitly Zabist (it can be, as is the case of Axis Zeon and the Sleeves, which both use Mineva as a figurehead because she's a Zabi family member); rather, the unifying element of Remnant Zeonism is a failure to reject the Principality's legitimacy and the Zabist claim that it represented all Spacenoids.

CCA Neo Zeon is a faction being helmed by a charismatic and sociopathic manipulator who's using his claim of direct descendance from Zeon Zum Deikun as a way to rally Remnant Zeonists to his cause (which happens to be extremist contolism with basically no shits given about colonial independence, but the rank and file don't know this). Full Frontal exists specifically because Char set himself up to be hero-worshipped this way.

The Sleeves and the UC96 Zeon remnants do share an ideology (the destruction of the Federation state, and Spacenoid independence), they just don't agree on how that ideology should be implemented (a forever guerilla war vs. strongarming all the colonies into embargoing Earth) and don't share leadership.

(Anyway, this is a lot of words typed up about fantasy politics.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Mar 1, 2024

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Fivemarks posted:

I for one can't get down with Zeonism, Contolism, or Zabi-ism as ideologies. One of these is just goes "Well because we can't have independence or equal rights, we should be ruled by an aristocracy", one of these is about as ecofascist as Malthusianism, and the third is just more fascism.

The weird aristocracy thing is just Zabism, I'm pretty sure. The Side 3 Republic/Republic of Munzo/first Republic of Zeon just gets represented as a regular parliamentary democracy most of the time.

e; vv

ninjewtsu posted:

what is the actual difference between OG zeonism and contolism? as i understood it contolism is just a continuation of the original zeon's ideology. i guess it doesn't have the nonapplicable political systems stuff concerning equal representation in the government?

Yeah, contolism is just the "Earth is sacred and we need to vacate it so it can heal, everyone move to space so you can evolve into empaths and world peace can happen" philosophy, minus the whole "space colonies should be independent from the Federation" political ideology.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 1, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Caphi posted:

It owns that the picture they picked of Dianna is as Kihel though.

Should've made it a picture of Kihel as Dianna instead, to make it funnier.