Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I would think the Titans probably deserve to be punched in the face more for being a fascist régime that disappeared people for disagreeing with their policies, rather than just thinking Kamille is a girl's name. :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baal posted:

About to start the last episode of Unicorn, I've enjoyed it a lot up until this point and the ending to Episode 6 was pretty stellar. I've heard bad stuff about the last episode, but I'm excited to see what it is.

I honestly don't think it's that bad, or at least not bad enough to undo how good the previous six episodes were, but everything after the final battle against Full Frontal is pretty silly. Not terrible, but just a bit dumb.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Baal posted:

gently caress Riddhe

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
By series:

MSG: prototype.
Zeta: next-gen mass production model (Gundam Mk. II), then cutting edge ace custom (Zeta Gundam).
ZZ: prototype.
CCA: cutting edge ace custom.
0080: prototype.
0083: prototypes.
F91: prototype.
Victory: prototype.
G Gundam: "Gundam" is basically the generic term for mobile suit.
08th MS Team: limited stop-gap production run making use of leftover excess spare parts for the original Gundam prototype.
Wing: one-off custom suits developed from a single prototype.
Gundam X: one of the few remaining pre-war mass-production mobile suits.
Turn-A: powerful artefact from the distant past.
SEED: prototype.
00: super robots.
Unicorn: prototype.
G-Reco: prototypes.
IBO: powerful artefact from the (much less distant) past.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Oct 26, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

Not to :goonsay:, but the MK II was just a test-bed for the movable frame concept, while the Gundams in X are cutting-edge MP mobile suits made as a trump card for the UNE just before the war ended. X has plenty of regular MP suits running around by the time series starts.

My favourite thing about this list is people pointing out these inaccuracies, but my calling 00 a super robot show is something everyone agrees with. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nasgate posted:

It's not 100% what you are looking for, but MS Igloo was pretty good about having more interesting fights than mainline series, as well as a focus on the grunts instead of whiny teenage aces.

I hope you're happy; you've making me watch IGLOO now. I've stayed away from it until now because of the CGI.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I don't like Zeon fans specifically because mainstream OYW-era Zeon are space Nazis, so I'd rather we have a bunch of UC material that makes the conflict less Manichaean so that unapologetic Zeon fans can stop being so creepy. Hopefully IGLOO is more this and less "space Nazis rock!"

I realise I'm inverting cause and effect, here. :v:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:52 on Oct 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nasgate posted:

I've always thought of Zeon as more Space Russians in terms of history, politics, and the vast coldness of spaceSiberia

They're Space Nazis. They have Space Dictators, Space Eugenics, Space Atrocities and Space Cool Uniforms. There's very little Russian about them.

I mean, they're technically modelled off Imperial Japan with 19th century European aristocratic aesthetics, but they're still Space Nazis.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:21 on Oct 27, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
No, it's that he takes it as a compliment. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TNG posted:

Rather than going "ZEON BANZAI" every time, it would probably be more germane to you know, be angry and terrified at the system that treated them like another component in the doomed and ultimately destructive machine of nationalism.

Yeah, this is one of the things that bugs me a lot about Zeon stuff - there are way too few Zeon characters portrayed as being reluctant about their orders or the war in general.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

TNG posted:

In the background material there's some stuff about a Side 3 colony being violently suppressed because they were protesting the war, but you're right. In mainstream animation, the Zeon types kinda look sad and mournful at best as they go off to commit another atrocity.

It's why I like stuff like The Plot to Assassinate Gihren.

Realistically, the OYW should have a ton more defections and insubordinations.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Her backstory isn't that stupid - it's not inconceivable for grunts who are told "carry this container here and plug it in to the air circulation system" to not understand what the brand new nerve gas is going to do (namely kill absolutely everyone inside the colony cylinder). Even if they did understand that it was nerve gas, it's not like the scope is easy to grasp.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The Zaku II F2 is the best-looking Zaku II. The Kai and FZ are nowhere near as pretty.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It looks like we might be getting a Thunderbolt OVA: http://gundamguy.blogspot.co.uk/2015/10/mobile-suit-gundam-thunderbolt-anime.html

I hope it's not CGI.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:07 on Oct 28, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

The F2 is the basic Zaku II design given a more modern look, basically fixing up the line art and making everything more consistent.

Exactly my point. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

tsob posted:

I've never gotten the fuss a lot of people kick up about it.

I find it looks cheap and ugly compare to cel animation.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I have to say, overall The Origin is great, but there's a couple of bits I still don't like. Char randomly being a Guntank ace at age 8 is stupid, and the characterisation changes to Jimba Ral and Kycilia aren't great. The changes to the scene where Kycilia executes Gihren are especially bad, since she shoots him in cold blood and her "if any of you disagree, press charges after the battle" line is gone, which removes one of her few redeeming qualities.

The decision to make M'Quve into a noble enemy was sort of weird, but I didn't mind it as much.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Char isn't really a guntak ace at Age 8. It's literally sitting in the cockpit and shooting.

He's an 8 year old with zero piloting/gunnery experience who kills three or four Guntanks (crewed by actual soldiers) on his own by "literally sitting in the cockpit and shooting."

ImpAtom posted:

Jimba Ral is honestly pretty much in-line with how he's portrayed in his few appearances.

This isn't the case in the show, either (because all you hear of him is Sayla saying he was a nice old man).

ImpAtom posted:

I also think you're misremembering how Kycilia kills Gihren in the show. It is absolutely in cold blood.

This is what she sounds like in the dub: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkK4_SS1ILY&t=184s

She's as angry in Japanese (and her internal dialogue calls him a "patricidal monster"), and the line about filing charges is there in both versions.

Darth Walrus posted:

M'Quve's been getting more sympathetic treatment for a while now. Many of his nastier actions were removed in the compilation movies, and Char's Deleted Affair (which followed the 0079 movie continuity) gave him a big heroic sacrifice allowing Dozle's wife and child to escape to Axis.

I guess I forgot what he's like in the films - I'm totally okay with him being less of a crony. The Origin has him attempt to nuke Revil's landship, then when that fails, he tells his second in command that he's refusing Kycilia's order to fire their remaining nukes because he's not a Zeonist fanatic, won't follow the Zabis blindly and is refusing to damage Earth. He then gives the order to retreat, personally leads a mobile suit squad in a sortie to buy time for the retreat, and ultimately self-detonates in the middle of the Federation's sea fleet to buy more time.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Oct 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It doesn't really matter how many excuses you make for why he gets to be an 8 year old Guntank ace, it's a dumb scene that doesn't need to be there, which is my issue with it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I'm confused what your complaint is about the Origin version to be honest. She is noticeably disgusted by his action there too.

There's significantly less build-up (she doesn't sit down and do a bunch of work and talk to Char in-between asking where the Great Degwin is and deciding to shoot him, she doesn't call him a patricidal monster, there's no "stop joking around" exchange between them) and the line about filing charges (which suggests she's willing to face the consequences of her acts) is replaced with "if anyone objects, speak up now" when she has her hand on her gun and a platoon of armed soldiers behind her.

This completely changes the tone of the scene from "Kycilia is doing what she feels she has to, and is willing to legally own up to the consequences of her actions once the immediate crisis is over" to "Kycilia just charged in, staged a coup using Degwin's murder as a reason to shoot Gihren, and browbeat everyone in the command centre into obeying her orders at gunpoint."

(There's also a scene earlier on in the manga where she's shown to also be plotting against Degwin, something which is obviously absent from the series and again, turns her shooting Gihren from revenge into something a lot more calculating and overall changes her from someone who is loyal to her father to just another backstabbing Zabi.)

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Oct 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Darth Walrus posted:

Actually, she did have her own thing going on in the anime. Long before her coup, she was having M'Quve skim resources off the top of his mining operations to fund and equip her own cadre of loyalists. There was always an element of opportunism to her icing Gihren.

There was always an element of her plotting against Gihren for power, but murdering him was pretty clearly something she did as a direct result of his killing their father.

Like I said, her loyalty to Degwin was basically her one redeeming character trait in the show, and The Origin gets rid of it.

unpurposed posted:

Here's a question about viewing order. I've watched the MSG 0079 movies and am currently watching through Zeta Gundam.

What is absolutely necessary to see in order to watch Char's Counterattack and then Unicorn? I've heard bad things about ZZ and honestly am more interested in the movies from a time perspective.

Definitely liking Zeta Gundam so far. I like how Kamille is actually growing as a person, which I didn't feel from Amuro in 0079.

You can skip ZZ, you just need to know that Char goes back to being Zeon at the end of Zeta. Hell, you can skip Zeta too, really, just as long as you know who Amuro and Char are, and the general UC timeline (the OYW/White Base/the Titans taking over/Amuro and Char fighting the Titans together).

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 29, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

closeted republican posted:

the G-Fighter will always be a useless piece of poo poo.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
The film dubs also have some baffling translation choices, like making Amuro into a total homicidal rear end in a top hat by replacing all the parts of his dialogue where he voices his doubts with him just being a vindictive piece of poo poo. British Bright's voice acting is fine, but the hard-rear end stiff upper lip thing doesn't really work for the 20-year-old LTJG who's put in charge of White Base when everyone else dies.

I'd never seen the 0079 dub until recently, but both it and the Zeta dub are actually fantastic.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Char is a sociopathic rear end in a top hat who fights dirty, which is why he gets so far in life. It makes the people who insist he's totally a good guy pretty funny.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ugh, we have to wait until the third OVA to see Garma and Char's romance.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Arcsquad12 posted:

Haha, even his helmet has shades.

Yeah, he has a doctor's prescription saying he's required to wear sunglasses due to UV oversensitivity in/damage to his cornea, which is how he hides the difference in eye colour between himself and the real Char.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Origin Doms end up with beam sabres instead of heat rods, too.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

How far we've come since the days of HE IS A CHAR. :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

RIP, nameless Jegan pilot. :( :rip:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
There's also a difference between "the fights in this show are good, which makes for exciting action sequences" and "war and murder are unironically good and cool things IRL." :v:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

Jesus, that's some absurdly quick plamo creation considering the war ends less than a week after Dozle dies.

Well, it is only a regular Zaku II in a different shade of green and with gold stickers, it's not like they had to design anything new.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Crossposting from the Gunpla thread:

Lanz posted:

It's wonderful

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

I'm a bit worried that the non-Char Zaku II isn't up for preorder yet. I hope it's not P-Bandai. :ohdear:

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Also, IBO.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
IBO has two episodes out of five so far without fights and the plot moves at a good pace, it's not exactly sedate.

Erg posted:

I was looking for some cool, mindless fun to see if I got hooked on the franchise.

Honestly, individual Gundam timelines are so different that there's no guarantee you'll like any one Gundam show even if you like another. Reconguista is another good pick if you just want pretty robots fighting each other.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NowonSA posted:

How are Reconguista and Origin? They sound solid but I haven't caught them yet.

G-Reco is pretty divisive, with the split between people pointing out that it's badly plotted and paced which makes it not that good despite being very pretty, and people who go "HUR HUR THE PLOT IS A MASTERPIECE, YOU JUST NEED TO HAVE HALF A BRAIN TO GET IT, SHAME YOU'RE SO DUMB. :smuggo::smuggo::smuggo:" Watch it and see for yourself if you like it, but either way, it's stupidly pretty and the MS designs own a lot.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Srice posted:

That's a p disingenuous way to paint the people that enjoy it

Every time anyone brings up the fact that G-Reco's pacing and plot might have been less than perfect, you have people rushing in to call them idiots because they were obviously too stupid to pay attention. It gets really old really fast.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 11:55 on Nov 11, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Srice posted:

Either way tho I think it's lame to paint all the fans or all the detractors of anything as a homogeneous blob of hate that won't listen to reason

I agree.

Claiming G-Reco makes no sense is dumb (it makes a non-zero amount of sense), and claiming it makes perfect sense and wouldn't have benefited from more episodes is also dumb (it would have made more sense). For once, the truth is actually in the middle.

In conclusion, for anyone wondering about whether G-Reco is good: watch G-Reco and see if you like it.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Nov 11, 2015

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

I have never hear anyone say the second part. The closest is people (including myself) saying it didn't need a full 52 episode run which I stand by as true and also apply to every other Gundam series.

I've definitely seen multiple people say that it's basically perfect and doesn't need any additional episodes. :shrug:

I agree it didn't need 52, though, just because 50+ episodes is almost always too much. Turn-A is the only series where having the full four-cours run actually worked out. 10-13 episodes would've nicely fixed G-Reco's pacing issues and made it a much better show. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

NikkolasKing posted:

Sorry but I felt original Gundam was mostly filler of the worst kind. Some episodes were just weird and random, like the Great Old People Revolt.

Of all the episodes you could have picked, that's one of the ones that's most clearly not even remotely any kind of filler.