Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chumbler posted:

Build Fighters can be recommended for more than just that. As long as you're not after hard sci fi or whatever (why would you be watching gundam then) it's a legit fun story in addition to its fantastic fights.

Sadly, Try can be skipped.

It's also basically a sports anime so it's good if that's your thing, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The G-Armor is lame because even ignoring how dumb it is, it takes up a lot of screentime in the show that serves no purpose.

You can tell it was mandated because they have multiple episodes where they're testing out the G-Armor for no reason, with the same stock footage.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

It was literally one of the concessions they had to make to keep the show running

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

I like the G-armor. It's dumb and silly, but a lot of stuff in the original was and a lot of gundam things still are.

Yeah it is. I'm mostly just bugged by the time they waste with it more than anything about the actual thing itself

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Some day I will finish Victory maybe, but I made it about 30ish episodes in and just lost momentum.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

When you fall off the train of one of those 50ish episode behemoths it's real hard to get back on it

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gyra_Solune posted:

oh man can i relate

i thought i was on like episode 40-something of ZZ but it turns out I was ten off, goddamn

ZZ also took me quite a bit of time to finish, maybe half a year if not more?

I think if I started watching Gundam shows now instead of many years ago I'd have real trouble even finishing something like Zeta, there's just so many episodes.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

everythingWasBees posted:

I doubt I'll ever finish Zeta.

I can't blame you because in this day and age it's a real tough sell to say that you gotta slog through to get to the good parts

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

boom boom boom posted:

But the show is made of good parts

A lot of the skirmish of the week stuff gets repetitive for me. It caused me to bail on my rewatch awhile ago

The good parts are still really good tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sakurazuka posted:

The first time I heard of Gundam was in a regular anime column in a SNES mag I read at the time. It was complaining about how popular series with female main characters in had become lol. This was in like 1993

I would not be surprised if people have been complaining about cute girls ruining anime since shortly after it existed

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Namtab posted:

Are we going with casual spoiler rules or extreme tviv danger rules?

I feel common sense rules are the best, in that the shows are so old that in a general conversation there's no need for tags but if someone is going through one of them for the first time and posting about it, might as well be polite.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

MonsieurChoc posted:

That's nothing: we almost got Super Robot Wars Alpha back in the days (Dreamcast version), only to be stopped by one company not willing to lend the rights. Just ONE, out of the massive clusterfuck that is the SRW franchise melting pot. You've got three guesses about what company that was, and the first two don't count.

You're right, it was Harmony Gold!

Harmony Gold is lame but this has always been a rumor with no evidence whatsoever

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really like the choreography and direction of 0080's opening battle. Despite how one-sided it is, I find it handled well enough that it's an aspect that doesn't even matter.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I like Puru.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Puru puru puru~

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Darth Walrus posted:

Ah, but which Puru?

Hell, all of them

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I'm not convinced that ZZ was an attempt to "troll" anything, since it's quite in line with a lot of Tomino's comedies from that era.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Also waving your hands around and shouting about Puru being creepy character for creepers isn't gonna make it true.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

I think you're projecting what you want tomino to be onto everything he's done, and forcing ZZ to fit that mold.

I think a notable fact here that backs your statement up is that not only did ZZ start up immediately after Zeta ended, but in preproduction it was referred to as Zeta Gundam Part 2

Srice fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Oct 21, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I really like Ridhe's character arc, which is more than I can say about any of the characters in 0083.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The REAL Goobusters posted:

Should I watch the new Gundam anime?

Also I've only ever seen Wing as a kid and the movie for that growing up. What gundam should I watch (I know I should watch the original, but confused what order like aren't the movies supposed to be better than the normal anime?)

The MSG movies are the way to go, yeah. Much better pacing, and some scenes are redone for the better. The gains heavily outweigh the minor losses

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Seconding that 0080 is a real good place to start tho

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Droyer posted:

0083 definitely shouldn't be watched before Zeta. The ending loses loses its impact completely

It also ultimately serves to explain something that really didn't need any explaining in the first place.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That Cima backstory stuff is a lame thing, about canon junk

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

My objection to it is mainly on the grounds that it's all background fluff from other materials that is not really represented in the show itself.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If they can bring in Studio Orange to handle the CGI then I'd be down with that.

Srice fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 28, 2015

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Another good reason to not skip ZZ is that there are important things that start up in Zeta that aren't resolved until ZZ.

Like a lot of the Neo Zeon stuff, for one!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Like yeah you don't need to see ZZ to watch CCA, but ZZ carries over some character stuff from Zeta, and I think that's important too.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ZZ is legit pretty funny. Tomino's comedy is pretty underrated, he's great at having characters just bounce off each other in amusing ways.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The 2nd Origin episode had a bunch of pretty great character moments, and once again Ramba Ral stole the show.

Only thing that really bugged me was how they awkwardly show younger versions of a few characters just to have them be around. You see Amuro in a scene and it serves no purpose, to the point where even if you were to find someone who didn't know this was a prequel, that scene would key them in.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

There are also *two* bar fights, in this episode, and they're both good for different reasons.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

How was the CGI this time around? Are they still using the Battle of Loum as a framing device like the first film?

There's pretty much no mecha stuff outside of a scene where they're testing out mobile workers, and the CGI was fine for those. They didn't open up with that battle which is a shame since what we get instead is a 4 minute recap of the previous episode.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

One thing I do appreciate about The Origin is that even though he hasn't had much screen time, Dozle is a lot more compelling here than he was in the original show.

Outside of awkwardly shoehorning in references to events in MSG, I really do enjoy how all of the characters have been handled so far, especially some that are minor characters in the series proper.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yeah, that's something I disliked in the original manga too. Some of them make a little sense (Mirai is established as being from a big deal family) but Babby Sayla meeting Babby Amuro is dumb dumb dumb.

Yeah

It's universally one of the lamest things a prequel can do, it's dumb fanservice that a lot of fans don't even want.

I didn't mind Mirai showing up since there was a point to it, as minor as it was.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

That pic is 100% correct.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

they actually have never tried very hard to offer character goods which is lame because there's a huge untapped market for it, they just wanna sell to the toy robot crowd more

I wanna say they did some of that for SEED since it attracted a crowd that'd be into that? Might be misrembering tho

But they haven't tried since then, definitely a missed opportunity there

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

theres one big sochie figure and it sold out long ago and im not gonna pay 80 bucks for it now!!!

mrgrgr

Dang, that sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Gammatron 64 posted:

Oh hey, I didn't realize that MSG was on Blu Ray already. It's a few bucks cheaper than the DVD set on Amazon. Is it worth it on Blu ray? The animation isn't exactly amazing.

It does look nicer, if you don't have the dvds then absolutely pick it up, but if you already have the dvds then I guess it depends on how often you rewatch it