Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Raxivace posted:

Random question, but there's been a like a million variations of the 0079 story at this point between all of the games and comics and books and so on...have any of these alternate takes on the story ever featured Amuro straight up defecting to Zeon with the Gundam, and then explored the ramifications of that?

One of the crazier timelines in the Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game was the Zeon one where Garma doesn't die but comes back with Axis and Kamille is part of Titans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I wonder if they are just going to reissue the HGs they already have and maybe put out a MG or make new models called something like ver. OAV.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I've read Thunderbolt up until the first big climactic battle and it's pretty good. It has done a good job of making me feel for both sides of the conflict and I really like the mobile suit design.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I think we know that Char and Sayla are just the figureheads in that picture with Ramba Ral being the true power behind the throne.

Also I've always wondered if Sayla revealing her true past would have helped temper some of the Zeon rebellions that occurred after the One Year War.

Ethiser fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Jan 10, 2016

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really liked the G-Bull in the Gundam vs. Zeta Gundam game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

They had a robot in X who's only weapon was a knife so I'm just going to pretend it's a callback to that.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

So in a weird way that's the megaman Gundam people thought the Barbatos would be.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Is that the guy from the island with the orphans?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I hope he gets a custom Zaku 1 and destroys a new Test Type Ground Gundam.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

No, they are actually just Zakus.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Blaze Dragon posted:

Fa deserved to die, not him. What a waste of a sacrifice.

Fa survived the war using the Methuss. She is secretly the greatest pilot in the AEUG.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Unicorn has one of the grunt suits from Hathaway's Flash so I like to think he still got executed.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Thunderbolt manga spoilers. The federation captain is still alive and has amnesia. She's a part of an evil Buddhist Newtype cult. Also there is a female federation pilot who has a sweet Guncannon and is a competent pilot.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Srice posted:

Passive protagonists can be cool because when they finally do something of their own accord it gives that moment more weight. It's very much a case by case sorta deal, I don't find active protagonists inherently more compelling.

For a not great version of this in Gundam we have Saji Crossroad.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Snooze Cruise posted:

I love Turn A's ending so much. Nearly everyone gets a happy ending, but your favorite character!

Poor Sochie.

Dianna is about to die of cryo moon disease and Loran is going to go back to Sochie.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I really hope this is a distant sequel to Build Fighters because I love that they spent all that time and money to make plastic move and then just decided that that was dumb and decided to just virtualize everything.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I’ve heard positive things about Astray, but I’ve never read it myself.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Please don’t even joke about Frozen Teardrop. My heart can’t take it.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I will be super excited if by next 100 years they mean 100-200 UC. Give me stories after Victory Gundam Bandai. There are still plenty of Sides left who haven’t tried to conquer the Earth Sphere.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

HitTheTargets posted:

It's pretty weird that at some point they put out figures for this and Amuro was in second place. Someone liked the grunt soldier vibe of the GM enough to say that one of them was straight Golgo 13ing his way through the entire Zeon army.

The Ace kill counts from the OYW are crazy high and make no sense in universe. The top Zeon aces have over 150 mobile suit kills. They only had like three months between the GM being introduced and the war ending.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

And then Kamille makes fun of him for his bad hair cut.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I never considered Turn A as purely AU, it is the end point for any and all Gundam timelines was always my take on it. Get far enough down the line from any of those stories and you'll end up at Turn A.

I need the Turn A remake where instead of digging up Zakus and Kapools they find a bunch of high grade gundam models and a painting booth.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

You can Even So some dumb Newtype bullshit, but’s let see you try and do it to this sweet souped up chopper. :killdozer:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I can’t even comprehend a version of G-Reco cut down to movie form. It’s going be like watching a fever dream.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Season 2 seems pretty easy to do. The antagonists aren't really heinous individuals and represent the government. You just have them resolve their conflict and team up with the main cast to take down the truly evil enemies at the end of the game, like how the Titans and Neo Zeon characters joined in V. There are plenty of SRW games that have you fighting against the world government for large parts of the game. IBO would actually mesh really well with 00 if they wanted to put them in the same game.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

AtheistMantis posted:

How about post plot Ideon?

Technically every show could be post plot Ideon.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

There is an active one and a new game is coming out in two months. They make them in English now so all you have to do is order a copy or make a Singapore PSN account.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3875338

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I'll always give a lot of slack to fiction that has aliens that are truly alien to what life on Earth is like.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Arcsquad12 posted:

08th MS Team holds significance for its aesthetic and grounded nature, which meant that for the longest time a lot of us held it up because it was at least trying to be different from normal gundam nonsense.

The trouble is, the show is pretty much obsolete with regards to the elements that made it stand out. IBO and Thunderbolt both do what 08th MS Team did, only they do it better (especially Thunderbolt). The Gouf Custom fight is held up as one of the greats, but it has nothing on the Full Armor / Psyco Zaku duel in terms of ferocity, inventive tactics, and presentation.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jWXPIfSI6ZE

The back half of the OVA also loses its stride thanks to the director change, and boy does it show. Everything from the hotsprings on Everest episode onward is really dodgy stuff and varies wildly in quality. The best episode of the series immediately follows the low point of the Everest episode, but it can't make up for how nonsensical the rest of the show gets.

If you power through to the end, skip the final episode. It's not the worst episode in the series but it has nothing to do with anything else in the show and exists solely to reference newtypes.

I’d say neither IBO or Thunderbolt have the boots on the ground grunt point of view that people see in 08th. The main characters are ace pilots who tear through the battlefield and pilot tricked out custom suits. People like the Gouf fight because it is so one sided and an example of what it would be like to fight an enemy ace pilot which isn’t really how I’d describe the end of Thunderbolt.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Warmachine posted:

And his master was just Domon, no gender flip. The gender-swap Domon was just some fan art.

They could have done so much with that, but like everything else Try attempted, it just ended up a wet fart.

This really bothered my because Domon already existed in the Build Fighters world. We saw him as a child building models with Kyoji.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Mr. Ral was 35 in both series

I’m not sure what’s wrong with this.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

LibrarianCroaker posted:

What mobile suit was most purpose built for doing war crimes? I'm going to rule out anything from Turn-A since erasing civilization multiple times wins by default, but I don't really know what the spectrum is between that and like, the GP02 and it's atomic bazooka/wing zero's TBR scale of doing war crimes.

I think there was a Zaku variant designed specifically to gas colonies.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

The “science” in UC for mobile suits is that in space their limbs let them change their momentum quickly in ways that you can’t if you are in a fighter plane shaped vehicle.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t see how Zeon could lose half its population. Was there ever any major fighting in Side 3 at any point of the war?

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Honestly Yazan should always leave the Titans to join the group that is involved in multiple simultaneous multiversel galactic wars.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I just want Yazan to live his best life.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I don’t remember anything especially noteworthy story wise in Overworld.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

I want to say he was in a SRW with Megazone 23 and got a transformable motor cycle.

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Wasn't the Barbatos already a DLC unit in a G Generation game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

A minute into the second episode of Re Rise and they’ve referenced the most important piece of 0079 lore so I’m all in.