Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

The core booster made sense because it was literally "yo white base we heard you had a few extra core fighters lying around, here's a cargo pod full of spare parts and ordnance to turn one into a real fighter" as opposed to the ridiculously involved multitransformation poo poo of the g-armor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Unicorn is a poo poo mess of bad storytelling and it boggles my loving mind how willing people are to throw themselves onto a sword in its defense

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

I swear, one of the pilots looks like Yazan.

That's because it is yazan.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Kamille Bidan is literally the angriest teenager in the universe

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Degwin was the one who started the war, dropped the colonies and probably assassinated Zeon to take political power. He only is as sympathetic as he is because by the time he becomes an active character he's already realized how horrifying his actions are, but he is absolutely not a good leader.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

DamnGlitch posted:

People often bring up that real humans do irrational things which is very true but theres prooobably a reason its brought up as a thing that people dislike about tomino shows so often.

The reason is that 99% of people in the west who watch Gundam consume media in a monomanaiacal genre sphere filled with poo poo writing, cardboard characters, and an almost dogmatic approach to following cliches.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I can't remember which one it was but one of the more famous mechanical designers from early gundam wrote something once about how spiky designs are a really easy trap for newer designers to fall into, since they look impressive superficially but almost always end up having the exact same silhouette because its an inherently limited idea to apply to humanoid designs.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Psycho Gundam from zeta and satisfies the "giant gundam" criterion.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Wing makes far more sense if you just assume that literally everyone is infected with rabies.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

the WZC weirds people out because it straight up removes the bird mode, which you never notice in Endless Waltz since there's no point where it'd use it anyway but once you realize it you can't forget it.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

He's not actually wrong though, that was kind of a thing people used to comment on all the time

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I loving love MS Era for a lot of reasons, but as a photographer I love how well it captures the visual language of 60s-70s Era conflict photography without being directly referential of famous pieces.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Muv luv is trash and people who like it should feel bad for encouraging it's creators

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Yeah I used to love the gouf custom fight but revisiting it as an adult made me realize that while it's prettily animated, it's absolutely terrible as a choreographed fight since it can't keep basic poo poo straight, everything is floaty and inconsistent in mass, visual continuity is hosed and etc.

It's a really badly done fight that's superficially impressive but substantively poor, and you can't even call it a grunt fight either since the antagonist is in a tuned up custom and the rest of the suits are gundams

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Shinjobi posted:

I always enjoyed that Evangelion used gigantic box cutters that vibrated as weapons.

The Eva units actually had different looking heat blades, with unit 01 having a more traditional folding knife. Unit 02 having a boxcutter knife is foreshadowing since it's the kind of knife people think of most when it comes to attempted suicide

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

IMO my biggest complaint about the barbatos is that in the show, the final form is drawn way beefier than the model, so you lose that cool FSS vibe the model and lineart had.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I love that the justification they come up for him being able to pilot the thing is "eh, the MMI for a prosthetic can sort of work like an AV system, right?"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Hey Ohhboy, what do you consider Good examples of serial fiction, just so we can get some context

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Jim makes sense as a kind of WWII fighter nickname that Zeon pilots would refer to them by, but I never really bought it as a term federation characters would use

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Shiro hitting nothing in that instance was fine, what's not fine is that Norris spends the whole fight teleporting around between shots and posing dramatically while 08th team stands agape doing fuckall

Arcsquad12 posted:

I could have gone without knowing that there is a novelization of 08th MS Team where Kiki commits suicide after being gang raped by Federation troopers. What the gently caress.

Genre tie in novels are always bad

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Actually his first action is to pose on top of a goddamn skyscraper and monologue

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Monaghan posted:

It's been a while since I saw that fight, but is there any other instances of them just standing around doing nothing?

Only one or two, but the fight itself is actually like 60% cockpit monologues so that accounts for a lot of action.

Arcsquad12 posted:

Analyze as you will. Posturing has always been part of Gundam fight scenes.

Gundam fight scenes are really goddamn mediocre on the average.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I don't have enough time to break down the whole fight right now since I'm phoneposting at a red light, but while you can sort of justify everyone's actions that doesn't address the key issue with the fight, that the choreography is totally hosed and nothing makes any sense spatially. Like, for fucks sake, there's a key point in the fight where a guntank appears out of nowhere just so shiro can dramatically do a secret service dive in front of it, even though it visibly was not there one cut ago and it's presence in that part of the city makes no sense.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Ippei gyoubu is the best thing to happen to gundam in decades

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

lmao @ people who are so intellectually starved for passable writing that they think anything Unicorn does is remotely defensible

70% of Gundam is trash, unicorn especially is masturbatory trash that exists purely as a blight on the IP, the vast majority of anime is trash, if you can't accept this then you are, 100% unironically, a loving simpleton

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

Was browsing crunchyroll and saw "MOBILE SUIT GUNDAM UNICORN RE:0096". I've tried to watch a couple of Gundam series before and it never took, but this one seems interesting. Do I need any understanding of the gundam universe etc to enjoy it?

Unicorn is possibly the worst gundam possible to try and jump into as a new viewer, yes. Also the worst gundam.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Age is a bad show but unicorn is very specifically a bad gundam because it parrots the iconography and themes of gundam as a group of works in a really asinine way while bringing nothing new to the table, relying entirely on bang-zoom superficial action and Ready Player One style pavlovian nostalgia triggers while utterly failing to actually say anything.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Chas McGill posted:

OK I'll leave it then. I tried the latest series and I didn't really understand what was going on.

Which series did you watch before, and in what way would you say they "didn't take?"

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

0080 is unironically one of the best works of sci Fi animation there is and also requires both very little knowledge of the franchise to understand and very little time investment, since it's a short OVA series.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Motto posted:

that also applies to AGE to some extent from what I saw

I don't doubt it, but I also ditched age pretty early whereas I followed unicorn to the bitter end. I have a more subjective hate for unicorn specifically because its much more polished presentation can sucker people into thinking it has any merits aside from production value, since the whole ordeal is very obviously designed to distract the viewer with flashy action so they don't realize that the entire underlying structure is hollow.

E: like, to be clear here, I have literally never seen a single argument in unicorn's favor that didn't either rely entirely on some bizarre fandom Orthodox about how it "has" to do certain things and is just an exercise in clean execution of the trite, or a plain argument that it's good because high production value means cool robots fighting.

Age is, on the other hand, very clear upfront that it's gonna be a total shitshow so even people trying to defend it give up.

Babysitter Super Sleuth fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Jun 6, 2016

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Motto posted:

You can disagree with them, but it's pretty stuck up to think that anybody that liked Unicorn was tricked into doing so.

lmao it's not "stuck up" to acknowledge that a work is doing the time honored entertainment industry thing of heavy misdirection to cover bad writing. Do you think Unicorn is the first time that a work presented itself as having depth and then used explosions to hide that that was a lie?

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Cable access commercial for a local used mobile suit lot.

I'M ANTS IN MY EYES JOHNSON FROM ANTS IN MY EYES JOHNSON'S USED MOBILE SUITS

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

I really hate the word and it's usage but yeah, "pretentious" is absolutely 100% the word to describe unicorn. It's a show that pretends to be profound and meaningful and important but is anything but.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ninjewtsu posted:

is this actually the case, or does it just exist in some form and over here in the wwest we're overexposed to the eastern side of things having some minor pro-zeon tendencies

its common enough that a famous singer reciting the gihren zabi funeral speech at a concert was met with striaght up applause and cheers.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

The flaw in using g reco as a counterpoint to criticisms of IBO is that g reco is a show where the vast majority of characters coming off like enthusiastic toddlers with high powered weaponry was explicitly the point, whereas IBO tries to present itself as a serious dramatic piece but undercuts itself with a parade of incongruous Saturday morning cartoon villains.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

it's also effectively hard to say anything in response to.

You have no response because unicorn is indefensible trash

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Good addition to the conversation mr. stefan! You did very good and we're all proud of you.

Eat poo poo

The entirety of your contribution to any discussion on the subject has been to say the equivalent of "that's just, like, your opinion, man" and repeat it with increasing volume until people leave

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Srice posted:

Consider, instead: addressing the points being made.

I'll address points being made when someone presents an argument in unicorn's favor that isn't the consumerist equivalent of Stockholm syndrome

Like, I've written actual words about the problems Unicorn has in previous iterations of this thread and also elsewhere on the internet, but I'm not going to bother anymore until you fucks prove that your response to a multipoint argument isn't to either disengage entirely or take up a retreating motion while saying "but at the end of the day, how can you say something is poo poo if I don't know what poo poo is" and acting like this is the first persons fault

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

unpurposed posted:

It wasn't horrific but it wasn't Gundam. I did genuinely laugh at some of the jokes though. Overall, D-. Some of the CGI was decent?

There's a pretty interesting gif-loaded effortpost floating around that explains how, lack of final polish aside, the CGI mobile suits in g Savior are animated with some extremely high attention to detail and it has the most consistent and accurate depiction of how AMBAC theoretically works, as well as the most consistent portrayal of a mobile suits mass, in the entire franchise. It's just that since all that stuff isn't very noticeable if you aren't looking for it people zero in on G Saviors other, much less defensible aspects.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

Bright is 19 years old.