Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

Yeah those exist, they're called sd gundam. I didn't include them in the op because 1) i know very little about them and 2) they're kind of their own separate thing. Feel free to talk about them though!

SD Gundam Sangokuden Brave Battle Warriors is a CGI series retelling the story of The Romance of the The Three Kingdoms with all the characters played by living SD Gundams

Superior Defender Gundam Force was a CGI series made for the North American market I don't think anybody ever watched

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

NotALizardman posted:

I watched it because I was a really retarded kid.

Was it good?

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Motto posted:

There's also Mobile Suit SD Gundam, which is unrelated to the "sentient Gundams with huge eyes" stuff and is instead a gag OVA about SD versions of various Gundam characters.

I watched some of that and it's incredibly un-notable. Like, Gundam Evolve deserves more mention than the old SD Gundam OVAs, unless you're talking strictly about the hsitory of Gundam merchandise.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Also, the OP could do with some more art just to break it up a bit.

I agree. Maybe something like this?

Mobile Suit Gundam (1979, 43 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Z Gundam (1985, 50 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam ZZ (1986, 47 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack (1987, movie, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket (1989, 6 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam 0083: Stardust Memories (1991, 13 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam F91 (1991, movie, UC)

Mobile Suit Victory Gundam (1993, 51 episodes, UC)

Mobile Fighter G Gundam (1994, 49 episodes, FC)

Mobile Suit Gundam Wing (1995, 49 episodes, AC)

Mobile Suit Gundam: The 08th MS Team (1996, 12 episodes, UC)

After War Gundam X (1996, 39 episodes, AW)

Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz (1997, 4 episodes, AC)

∀ Gundam (1999, 50 episodes, CC)

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED (2002, 50 episodes, CE)

Mobile Suit Gundam MS IGLOO: The Hidden One Year War (2004, 3 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED Destiny (2004, 50 episodes, CE)

Mobile Suit Gundam SEED C.E. 73: Stargazer (2006, 3 episodes, CE)

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 (2007, 50 episodes, AD)

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn (2010, 7 episodes, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 the Movie: A Wakening of the Trailblazer (2010, Movie, AD)

Mobile Suit Gundam AGE (2011, 49 episodes, AG)

Gundam Build Fighters (2013, 25 episodes, AD*, available on the Bandai Youtube channel)

Gundam Reconguista in G (2014, 26 episodes, RC, available on Hulu)

Gundam Build Fighters Try (2014, 25 episodes, AD*, available on the Bandai Youtube channel)

Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin (2015, ongoing, UC)

Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (2015, ongoing, PD, available on Hulu)

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Namtab posted:

What's everyone's fave gundam (show) and gundam (big robot)

I'm gonna say 00 season 1 and Wing gundam.

Reconguista in G, I think. It's pretty frsh in my mind and I still need to rewatch it so maybe it'll eventually settle back into the overall appreciation I have for most Gundam shows, but Reconguista in G was really good.

As for favorite Gundam, maybe the FA ZZ? It's real big.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Raxivace posted:

So uh apparently a live action adaptation of Unicorn is in the works?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4841884/
http://www.samuraimediaglobal.com/#!launching-of-the-white-devil/c15rc

Even if this is just some fanwork...Why? Why does this exist?

It's gonna be some stupid piece of poo poo fanfilm like Batman vs. Predator. If it even ever actually exists, which I kinda doubt.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
The ZZ being able to split into three planes made sense, because the ZZ was every stupid idea anybody at AE ever had. It doesn't make sense for the RX-78 to be all switch outable and reconfigurable like that. It totally sticks out in One Year War era technology.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Victory Gundam is unironically good

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

Some day I will finish Victory maybe, but I made it about 30ish episodes in and just lost momentum.

The ending has one of the best scenes in Gundam, IMO.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

I can't blame you because in this day and age it's a real tough sell to say that you gotta slog through to get to the good parts

But the show is made of good parts

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
People's attention spans are too short today, is the real problem. The shows are great, it's the viewers that are bad

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

woah, was the all Gundam OPs vid taken off youtube?

yeah, and the all 80s mecha OPs too

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I like the bad guys in Victory. After all the poo poo that happened in UC, all the big groups killing each other off, the only bad guys left are just the bottom of the barrel, totally insane fuckers.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I'm planning to! I might not stick through the whole thing, though, I'll stop when it gets truly unbearable.

I hope you like it all the way through

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Gyra_Solune posted:

meanwhile raraiya is looking like she's about to go and marry noredo

I think she's just comforting her emotional friend, but I'm not opposed to your reading.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Reds posted:

Yeah but the pilot doesn't sit in the head, it sits in the chest and the first thing you're going to do if somebody grabs you is at the very least flail.

UC suits, especially when animated like they are in 0080 and 08th MS Team, don't flail. The pilot has to pull levers to make limbs move. The pilot was probably trying to activate his backup camera or something.

Reds posted:

I'd rather have 0080's good story than better action scenes anyway. 0080 is the only of the three UC OVAs that doesn't have a plot that falls apart. 0083 with its director switch, and 08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

The plot to 08th MS team doesn't fall apart, some people just don't like the romance

Reds posted:

08th MS Team with its ridiculous and incredibly poorly written Romeo and Juliet plot

08th MS Team's romance even ignoring its impact on the plot bugs me a lot because neither of them know each other. They've interacted with each other for less than two hours, possibly less than an hour by the time they declare their undying love for each other. They don't know a drat thing about each other at that point.

That's a hell of a lot more than the original Romeo and Juliet

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

closeted republican posted:

I think it' funny how Elepo Ple is the standard "uguu so cute ^_^" Gundam character among fans that attracts all the pedos, but in the actual show she's a genuine psycho-bitch that opened fire with funnels while on an occupied playground in Axis, attempted to murder Leina in cold blood while Leina was suffering from an untreated gunshot wound, and is the type that would attack you with an axe she dug up in the garage if you didn't pay attention to her all the time. Judau's reasoning for letting her join the team feels like it's basically "Oh god, she's nuts. Better play along with her or else".

I don't know anyone who has that first reaction you described.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Gordon Waters is a moron

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TNG posted:

ZZ's a funny show, since I am convinced Tomino was having a massive troll-y meltdown that he would only exceed in V Gundam. The title Gundam is this massive chuuni pile of guns and sharp angles, but even today does not quite work at 1/100th or 1/144th scale. And not a lot of the other designs with all their gimmicks do that either. You think the Federation is corrupt and bad? In this one they sell out to Neo Zeon and allow them to drop a colony on Dublin! Neo Zeon itself grows out of the far more restrained Axis remnant as an almost super robot evil empire type bad guy organization. The show literally ends with Judau screaming at how the adults ruin everything. It's like he's taking all the aspects he hates about the Franchise(tm) and all the other the things people expect out of it and moves them up to 11. You want more Gundam? I'll give you the loving Gundam-iest Gundam you've ever had! Honestly the serious parts are sillier to me than the episode where Bright has to catch a Chicken or Moon-Moon.

Ple is also bad and creepy and everything about her is terrible, including Marida Cruz who adds a whole buncha poo poo to the already massive poo poo pile.

I don't think Tomino was "trolling" his audience at all, that's a weird thing to think. Like you say, it follows the themes of the earlier shows. And when you take it in context with Victory, there's a very clear escalation of crazyness in UC. It starts off with Space Hitler and after that the villains, the people who've lived through the events of the previous series and still want to start a war, get weirder and crazier as time goes on.

Puru is good.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TNG posted:

Yes, but the way in which ZZ "follows the themes" is to an absurd level. A show with a super toy Gundam whose design precludes it from ever being an effective toy, comically absurd villains even when the show is being serious, and just generally ramping up everything in hilariously reductive ways. I'm not saying the show is bad, but it also stays silly throughout and gets even more-so. It's 80s toy commercial excess, and 80s Japanese nerd culture, and Tomino's own brand of amusement and contempt for the whole thing wrapped into one. It's kind of amazing. Weirder and crazier is right, but I very much think Tomino was having a laugh at the very concept of Gundam shows since the Original and Zeta had become such phenomenons and the production time leading into ZZ was so short.

The Zeta is way worse at not working as a toy than the ZZ though. And the production time leading into ZZ wasn't just short, it literally started up right after Zeta, I don't think he had time to develop a hatred for Gundam. I know talking about what Tomnio has said about things is a recipe for bullshit, but I don't think he's said anything negative about ZZ, or honestly, any of his own Gundam shows aside from Victory. Plus, he did a ton of shows between MSG and Zeta, so I don't even know if he would've thought of Gundam as such a big thing, just personally.

I think with ZZ, Tomino just made a good robot cartoon, and wasn't pulling a secret prank on someone for no reason.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Why? That's literally the question here, there's no reason for her to die other than Gundam clichés, and her dying was actively bad for the narrative.

Because it's Gundam Unicorn, and Gundam Unicorn was cobbled together out of Gundam cliches

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I saw Gundam Unicorn before I saw ZZ, and when I watched ZZ I was amazed at how many of the Unicorn MS designs are just slightly different versions of earlier UC suits. It was not a creative show.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

You ignored quite an important part of that line of argument, which was that it wasn't just in the short term that nothing changed, but in the long term too. Shows like G-Reco and Turn-A demonstrate that even after literally thousands of years, nothing has changed.

Did you not watch G-Reco? There had been peace for a thousand years, and in the end humanity rejected war again.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

tsob posted:

They mostly had peace on Earth because the planet was so hosed ecologically that everyone was more concerned with where to get the next meal than who was running the show. Hence the cannibalism. Which was precipitated according to the show by hundreds of years of conflict during the UC. And which was followed by wars between the various power blocs that did spring up, like Ameria, Gondwana and so on. They even mention Ameria having been at war in the show and that that's why Klim is more experienced at combat than the Capital Army dudes he defeats in the first few episodes.

We've never had any indication that I'm aware of that Towasanga or Venus Globe was completely peaceful for all of that time.

The cannibalism was hundreds of yeas beforehand. And "wars" between Ameria and Gondwan were just stealing the resources spheres from each other, like the pirate stuff in the first episode, and had only started recently. That's why even the "experienced" Klim Nick was completely inexperienced.

And there's zero reason to believe that Towasanga and Venus Globe had wars during that time period.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Lemon Curdistan posted:

I still want a MG or RG or PG of Rambal Ral's Zaku I, which is by default the coolest Zaku.

https://www.hlj.com/product/BAN77168/Gun

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

alcharagia posted:

today, after multiple years, i have finally figured out that go-lion is named such because it is five lions put together

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wDajqW561KM

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks the Hi-Zack looks like poo poo

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
Scopedog is the best Zaku

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I hope it's really good traditional animation

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Sakurazuka posted:

Sunrise seems content to keep Gundam the last bastion for traditionally animated robots, though I can't remember how much CGI there was in Origins

Just those horses

Weren't all the robots in The Origin CGI? And it didn't look great.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine
I'd never actually looked at the other suits in G-Saviour very much, but drat, the Bugu owns

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Crummelhorn posted:

the Zaku I is just a Zaku II without the tubes

where does it sit on the list

At the top

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Droyer posted:

Well, technically nothing is necessary to watch anything else, but I do think the backstory and motivations of one of the main characters in important enough to mention.

I watched Unicorn before ZZ, and I think Marida's story was pretty graspable without having seen ZZ.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

dogsicle posted:

my reason for not skipping ZZ: it's really good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Srice posted:

ZZ is legit pretty funny. Tomino's comedy is pretty underrated, he's great at having characters just bounce off each other in amusing ways.

literally