Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kanos posted:

Zeta has some really rough parts like the incredibly awkward Four romance and the entire Rosamia segment and it also has a cast absolutely filled to the brim with total assholes. I like the show but I can definitely see people not liking it and it's definitely not my favorite series.

I was going to post why I didn't like Zeta but Kanos here got it perfectly. The main cast is just way too full of completely unlikable characters, including and I'd go as far as saying especially the main character himself. It does have some really good ones in between the poo poo, but they're mostly the guys who came back from the previous series (with the notable exception of Emma, who is amazing and the one death that nearly made me cry).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kamille had problems with everyone though. I can't think of a single person in the show that he didn't want to pick a fight with.

The Titans are even worse because they also like picking fights with people. Or get people's genders wrong accidentally without even looking at said person, thus they deserve to be punched in the face.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

I really wish they would have just come out about Guin being gay earlier in the series. Waiting until literally the last episode to use it as a plot twist always sat kind of wrong with me.

I don't think they did, though. Guin having a crush on Loran and being unable to accept him as a guy was a thing since the time they met. It's not like he started calling him Laura by the end of the series, he fully knew Loran was a dude yet kept calling him Laura during the entirety of it.

Guin losing it was a later thing, yes, but that he clearly denied Loran's gender was something that was there for the whole series.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

TheManSeries posted:

So I've hit the half way point of G Reco and Im not really sold. Bellri is alright, Aida is a joke and I feel like Klim and Mick should be the leads. They are way cooler.

This is all true but the show is good in spite of that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Terrible things attracting people is hardly something unrealistic. There's people in reality that are still attracted to the Nazi regime, and there's lots of people that heavily support Communism and all the murderers it created (I live in Argentina, believe me, it is really scary how common it is, even in the goverment).

Zeon basically is the exact same thing, people are attracted to an ideal without realizing just how much poo poo it actually brought or how terrible it was, or even justify it because it is a heavily nationalistic ideal and those attract the worst of people.

I wish Zeon was less realistic, honestly. But people really are that bad. While I'm not that big of a fan of the UC, I definitely love how Tomino portrays not only Zeon but the people absolutely obsessed with their ideology, not because I support it but because of the entire opposite: it shows a dark but real face of humanity.

The Feds are still terrible though, just not as terrible.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

muike posted:

I suppose everyone has a different concept of what Gundam "is" and when a production's nature conflicts with this it causes them some amount of displeasure

So long as it has a main robot that is white and has a V-fin of some kind (including moustache) and a rival with a mask (sunglasses accepted) it's Gundam enough for me. Other Gundam-like things include: teenager protagonist, randomly falling into the cockpit, ridiculous psychic powers, Gundams being stolen, psychic girl with a connection with the protagonist that meets a terrible end, the rival having a red and/or gold robot, and the complete subversion of the Real Robot genre with sudden out of nowhere magical super powers.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

muike posted:

tobia has zero character growth, unlike kamille

Counterpoint: Kamille's character growth is completely erratic, and he'll go from bratty teenager that punches people for existing to WAR AND VIOLENCE ARE BAD and back depending entirely on what the episode needs. Or sometimes, just for the sake of having Kamille punch someone.

At least Tobia's personality is consistent.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Doesn't Cagali go SEED Mode late the series too though, or am I misremembering?

She does. SEED Mode is not locked to Coordinators, anyone can use it.

It's just used entirely by Coordinators apart from Cagalli because Coordinators are better I guess, SEED Mode was never really explained well.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I think what we all can agree with is that neither he nor anyone should ever watch Age.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SeanBeansShako posted:

The feather thing was a pretty common identifier in hats for centuries before they evolved into plumes and pom poms.

You know who has the weirdest uniforms in anime when it comes to their characters tone? The Martian Successors in that Nadesico movie. Look it up kids.

That'd require me to acknowledge that Prince of Darkness existed, and I absolutely refuse to do that.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

Doesn't seem like anyone here cares for Wing Zero Custom which I heard was one of the most popular suits in the series.

I'll be the outlier in the thread then and say that the Endless Waltz Wing Zero is one of my favourite Gundams ever. The angel wings are amazing and I love the silly pose it does in SRW games after killing things with the Twin Buster Rifle.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Newtype powers should only be used to generate love between two characters without any sort of set-up or growth so the woman can then be killed for drama.

It's this kind of thing that makes me like G Gundam, really.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

G Gundam owns not because it is dumb fun, but because it gives no fucks about looking dumb on the surface while still being actually good underneath that. Take a good, long look at Domon and tell me he is not a Gundam MC like Kamille is.

Domon's love relationship actually reads like an actual, real relationship that took time to develop, has problems and is founded on love and trust that has to be gained (and God Gundam does Domon take a while to get that right). Kamille immediatly falls in love with someone who also loves him despite never having done anything together because psychic powers, something that is in itself a copy of what happened to Amuro only executed worse.

That said both Domon and Kamille really, really like punching people. Only Domon does it with style. Not as much style as his master, but still, style.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

dogsicle posted:

the part i take issue with is people finding joy in her death.

I dunno. Honestly, if I find a character unlikable, regardless of what the author intent might've been, I will feel happy for not having to deal with them anymore, especially if I'm enjoying the rest of the show. Ages hardly matter when you're talking about a cartoon, too.

It's like the whole ending of Zeta, which was meant to be depressing but felt positively amazing instead because I hated everyone in that show. Except for Emma, whose death did genuinely made me sad. She deserved better.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm guessing you mean this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cf_lDST4Q84

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

NikkolasKing posted:

He seems to have some competition. I like that gif and was posting it elsewhere and suggestions for Worst Char Clone included the guy from F91, somebody named Luin and the only one I know of and completely agree with, Mwu from SEED Destiny. His name was Neo something but you know what I mean. He was absolute garbage. Destiny isn't good but at least most of the stuff in it is important or necessary to the plot. La Flaga coming back as a brainwashed villain was stupid and unnecessary.

I'm guessing the F91 guy is Carozzo Ronah/Iron Mask, who is far more Darth Vader than he is Char. In fact he isn't like Char at all beyond wearing a mask, which is very different from the usual Char mask anyways. People just want to find Chars everywhere in a franchise where they're very easy to find anyways. And Luin is far from the worst Char Clone, he is in fact pretty cool.

Neo is horrendous though, a character whose bad writing actually manages to stand out in a bad series due to how bad it is. It's honestly a wonder anyone, even the people behind Destiny, thought Neo was a good idea. I love Mu, but Neo was horrible and not Mu at all beyond being Mu despite Mu being dead, somehow. So stupid. Mu goes from a cool Quattro to a horrible Char, then back to Quattro including a gold MS, but far too late to matter.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The Kamille route having a non-standard game over at the beginning by having you think his name is a woman's is interesting, but I have to wonder if it really adds that much to the gameplay.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

GimmickMan posted:

The Destiny is sort of a fixed Freedom in that it combines the Impulse's frames better than the Freedom combines the Strike's. That's cool, IMO.

Also its sword is a light tube, which amuses me.

That's because the Freedom does not do that at all, while the Destiny (somewhat loosely) combines the Strike's packs, not the Impulse's.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Parallax posted:

Harry Ord should be on the top of best boyfriend/husband/most fashionable

I'll give you two out of three. Harry's second place in most fashionable, Treize exists after all.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Emma is the goddamn best and telling Reccoa she's an idiot is only one of her many great feats. It's honestly a wonder she's a character in "everyone is a jerkass or useless" Zeta Gundam.

Reccoa is horrible and I'm glad even Japanese women think she's insane.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Kuvo posted:

I was sad when he bought it. I was hoping he would be the serries' Wedge Antilles

Fa deserved to die, not him. What a waste of a sacrifice.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Begemot posted:

Was Fa even a pilot in training before following Kamille to join AEUG? I know Kamille was at least learning how to design them and probably had some simulator experience, besides being a newtype.

Fa was probably one of the best oldtype pilots in the whole Gryps conflict, second only to Yazan.

Fa wasn't a pilot in training, no, but she wasn't an Oldtype either. Fa's a Newtype, though I'm guessing a low-level one. Definitely not a Kamille-level one.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Somehow, the fact that I can't see it in my country doesn't feel so bad after reading the reactions to it. Then again, Try.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

That Casval sure got some impressive muscles.

(I wish I could just embed the tweet proper but I have no idea how to do that)

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'd take the Ramba Ral one too, but I'm not worthy. I will buy it for myself once I'm worthy.

In 11 years, 2 months and 12 days, on my 35th birthday.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I like IBO a lot and I hope it keeps being good until the end.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Droyer posted:

He was probably voiced by a woman, child characters usually are.

Surprisingly enough, only in the dub. The original version has him voiced by Kappei Yamaguchi.

Also I was entirely sure he was a girl until I actually watched the show. Yamaguchi's voice is very much not feminine at all, so that snapped me out of it. I was kinda sad all the protagonists were male but then Allenby joined and Rain proved herself a gigantic badass so it was fine in the end. Far better than most Gundam shows.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I took the ghosts as literal ghosts the first time I saw it and the explanation for it (the Biosensor thing) as a complete asspull. As well as every superpower Kamille got from it.

There's a moment where you have to take a step back and say "man, this attempt at realistic robot does not work when it can become literally invincible by absorbing dead souls".

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I'm not a big fan of UC Gundam, but I can't help but praise the Gundam Mk-II. It's such an improvement over the goofy, boxy, toy-like RX-78-2, looking real and actually dangerous. The colours on the AEUG version look really good too, and you can see how the series took the design to heart in later Gundams. I'm not a big fan of the Zeta, but goddamn I love the Mk-II. Letting it stay relevant with the Super Gundam upgrade was really nice, though the nicer thing was never naming it on-screen because drat, Super Gundam just sounds silly. I'd expect that name in G.

Talking about G, and moving away from protagonist suits, the Master Gundam is great. It pretty much is cool personified, as fitting for SUPER ASIA, the best character. And it gets cool as poo poo attacks, because G Gundam.

I'll also continue with the Exia appreciation train. A really good design, in a really good part of a series that ultimately kind of got worse, but back then it was great and the Exia was a very good show of what the series should've stayed as. Minimalist but very good weaponry, a really neat design, and just as many swords as anyone could ever want in a robot. I can't give as much love to its successors, but the Exia itself is great.

For one I didn't see any praise for, I'm a big fan of the Wing Zero Ver. Ka. The original Wing Zero is good too, but I love this weird-rear end design. The angel wings are super silly but look great, and give way to very nice poses. There's no way to justify making your Gundam look like an angel, and it is imagery that absolutely does not fit Heero, but I love it nonetheless.

Finally on the hero train, I love most IBO designs but I guess I should give special focus to the Barbatos just because giant mace? Yes. The constantly-changing armour early in the series, and the actual upgrades in S2 only elevate it to even greater heights (of bloody murder, because Mika) with the Lupus Rex just looking goddamn monstruous and having weaponry a heroic suit most definitely should never have (seriously, the Hashmal's tail? That isn't exactly screaming "we are the good guys"...which fits in IBO where the protagonists are not really heroes at all).

And going on monstruous, despite AGE being a horrible series that makes mid-late Destiny look good, I think the Gundam Legilis is one of the coolest designs around. It's the perfect combination of the alien, dragon-like Vagan designs and a Gundam, and goddamn it looks unique and cool as hell. Too bad it had to be in that series. Also, it looks awful in red.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

SeanBeansShako posted:

No, this is the Gundam thread.

You spend the next six months in a back and forth out of control vendetta that ends with one of you tossing each others injured rear end off the side of a mountain.

Can I get thrown off a plane via a trapdoor and then shot while I'm falling to my death?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh wow so this happened huh that's uhh...

That might be the one thing I actually really wanted to see in Zeta and never happened.

Please tell me the easiest way to get SRW V. I have a PS4. In fact, part of the reason I bought it was for SRW V, but wow. Now I want it more.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

https://twitter.com/raispada/status/839763276955209728

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Coordinators are not Newtypes. In fact, you could say they're the exact opposite. Coordinators are humans experimented on before their birth, "upgraded" so to speak to be superhuman. It's genetic manipulation, basically. They're artificial and physical, as opposed to the Newtypes whose evolution is both something that happens naturally and whose abilities are mental/emotional in nature.

Also I disagree that SEED is bad. I actually like SEED, although I can see why it'd be base-breaking. That said, the animation never gets better, because Hiraiface. Lots and lots of Hiraiface.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

ImpAtom posted:

That was actually one of Gihren's stated reasons for doing it actually.

So Gihren did nothing wrong?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

psyer posted:

Rumors of a new Gundam being announced on March 24th.

It is called Mobile Suit Gundam Twillight Axis and will be directed by Se Jun Kim. It looks to be based off a light novel that is being serialized in Yatate Bunko.

http://www.moetron.com/post/1587034...anime-announced

That URL goes nowhere, was it deleted?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Darth Walrus posted:

It's interesting to look at gay characters in Gundam. There's Rosenthal from G-Reco, who's a flamboyant walking stereotype, but is also a nice, friendly dude who gets to fly a cool suit and do cool things, and is treated more kindly than any other member of his faction (in that he comes out alive with no lasting trauma). In IBO, there's Takaki, a smart, sweet guy who spends most of his time pining over an unattainable dude and then the rest of the time pining over his memory, there's Iznario the stereotypical predatory paedophile, and finally there's Kudelia and Atra's heavily-subtexted relationship, which essentially ends with them as a husband and housewife raising a kid together, but almost always couches it in their mutual love for a man. Gundam certainly isn't there yet in LGBT representation, but it does at least seem to be becoming more open to the possibility.

You're thinking of Yamagi, not Takaki. Takaki is the kid that leaves Tekkadan and ends up being Makanai's aide.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Artum posted:

Shinn in SRW is generally much better written than in the series.

You could say the same about Destiny in general. I'm not sure about other games, but Z at least takes what should've been a great show but instead was poo poo and turns it into the great plot it would've been with competent writers behind it.

That said, even in the mess that is Destiny, I liked Shinn a lot. I wish he had a better character arc and kept the protagonism of his own series, but I can't hate him for that. That's entirely Kira's fault.

gently caress Destiny Kira "Jesus" Yamato. SEED Kira is fine. Destiny Kira is awful.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

The more I hear about V, the more I want to waste my money on it and leave it sitting on my list of PS4 games I still have to play.

That list and FE Echoes coming out soon are the only reasons I haven't bought it at this point, really. SRW V was one of the main reasons I wanted the console in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Monaghan posted:

If you are including the Meijin in this sentence, you can go to hell. :mad:

At least the good cast is back.

One of the few things Try did right was taking a character that was okay at best and make him truly amazing. Removing him from the rival role and making him take a mentor position was a great move, so he could go full ham.

I hope we keep that Meijin for this OVA.